Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2019, 21:32   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Scoop! MG Hector caught without camo in India

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

The first uncamouflaged test mules of the MG Hector have been spotted in India. The test cars feature different wheel designs and exterior details.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-whatsapp-image-20190413-17.35.28-1.jpeg

One of the test mules is finished in a metallic grey shade and has silver trim around the grille, bumper, headlamp housing and on the sides. This car is also fitted with silver alloy wheels indicating that it could be a lower variant. The other test car, which appears to be a top-end variant, has chrome trim around the grille, headlamp housing and on the sides. It appears to be finished in a purple shade and has dual-tone alloy wheels. That said, even the lower variant has projector headlights, LED daytime running lights, roof rails and ORVMs with integrated turn signals.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-whatsapp-image-20190413-17.52.42-1.jpeg

Reports suggest that the MG Hector is expected to get a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine with 141 BHP and 250 Nm of torque and a Fiat-sourced 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel unit producing 171 BHP and 350 Nm of torque. MG is also rumoured to offer a petrol-hybrid option on the Hector.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-whatsapp-image-20190413-18.38.00-1.jpeg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-whatsapp-image-20190413-18.38.01-1.jpeg

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 13th April 2019 at 21:33.
ChiragM is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 23:23   #242
BHPian

Looks nice!

Specially in the metallic grey color. No sunroof though?
Shreyas_H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 00:43   #243
BHPian

Is it just me or does anyone else think that these ''scoop'' images have been served on a platter by MG?
Senna4Ever is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 00:48   #244
BHPian

What size are those rims? Am I only one who thinks they are a tad under-sized?

The vehicle looks decent-ish overall. Over to the pricing now i guess. I'm hoping its a OnePlus type disruption when it comes to pricing. A tad lower than Creta? (which might be asking for too much)
loki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 06:48   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post

The vehicle looks decent-ish overall. Over to the pricing now i guess. I'm hoping its a OnePlus type disruption when it comes to pricing. A tad lower than Creta? (which might be asking for too much)
They’re likely to price it in the range of 14L~ (IMO)
If they undercut the Creta pricing, then human psyche will be ....Cheap Chinese Car
So they cannot anyhow price it too low wrt. competition models

I’m looking at a price between Harrier (12.6L) & Compass (15.4L)
( The 2.0L engine will the sourced through Fiat so royalty shall also be paid to Fiat, The 1.5T is in-house )
FIAT3031 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 07:36   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else think that these ''scoop'' images have been served on a platter by MG?

Absolutely, why else would they send their cars out in the open without camouflage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post

Yes. Looks like 16 inch. Does look undersized, but I a speculating that this may still not be the top spec. The top spec may get 17 and I do not seem to see the sunroof or

Benedict: Hector open the sunroof

Hector : Pardon

Benedict: open the sunroof

Hector : sorry they forgot to put one. :

On a serious note , the design language is just not what I like. Maybe it's the in thing. The Harrier, Hector all seem to have the same design language. Sure the Harrier looks better.

The chrome trim running under the DRLs/indicators is just overdone.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 07:42   #247
BHPian

Isn't the placement of headlights (Hector as well as Harrier) a recipe for disaster during monsoons? The headlamps will be coated with slush and mud in no time on a rainy day. No?
Old 14th April 2019, 08:42   #248
Senior - BHPian

That fuel station looks to be their familiar location for fillups. There were some spy shots a few months ago of the covered car at the same location.
Old 14th April 2019, 09:15   #249
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Isn't the placement of headlights (Hector as well as Harrier) a recipe for disaster during monsoons? The headlamps will be coated with slush and mud in no time on a rainy day. No?
If you think out of ‘SUV’ box, the height of headlight placement of both those vehicles are almost same as the ones in a low lying sedan. So I don’t think it will be much of an issue.
pavi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 07:17   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post

On a serious note , the design language is just not what I like. Maybe it's the in thing. The Harrier, Hector all seem to have the same design language. Sure the Harrier looks better.

The chrome trim running under the DRLs/indicators is just overdone.
My thoughts exactly!

With a name like "Hector" I was expecting to see something more, eh, killer?

This one is a little too rounded and sedate for my liking. And the legs (read, wheels) seems a tad too tucked-in. The Harrier may be the better looker between these two. But, it can be all due to the camera angles. Let me reserve further judgement until I see it in the flesh.

The specs are nice on paper, especially the 171 Bhp version. Wonder how they will price it.

Is there a variant without all this chrome/faux aluminium lining?
Old 15th April 2019, 09:14   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Looks nice!

Especially in the metallic grey color. No sunroof though?
I think the maroon car has a sunroof - you can see the outline if you zoom in.

The beige colour one might be a lower spec variant, going by the alloys.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 15th April 2019 at 09:16.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 09:21   #252
BHPian

The headlight position has been the subject of debate for a while. I personally feel it might not make a big difference since there are sedans with much lower headlight placements. Are they affected during rain or monsoons? Yes/No?

Edit: I see that pavi had already mentioned the same point

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
The overall design of the hector feels like a hybrid of the Harrier and Creta for some reason.

Last edited by soji : 15th April 2019 at 09:26.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:15   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soji View Post
The overall design of the hector feels like a hybrid of the Harrier and Creta for some reason.
It actually looks more like the new Innova from the front 3 quarters, especially in the front pic of the maroon/purple car. The lower lip is more of Hexa and the rounded roof line seems more MUV than SUV. I think its more to do with the angle of the pic, a full side/rear profile pic will help paint the true picture.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:41   #254
Senior - BHPian

Those rims are making it feel like an MPV than a butch SUV. Also all that chrome doesn't help either. Harrier has a more sorted looks according to me.

Any news on the 1.5L petrol engine ? It doesn't look like it is from FCA. Is it coming from China ?
Old 15th April 2019, 10:51   #255
BHPian

I feel Hector to be a good offering from MG but few cons that we need to watch out for:-

1. Lack of Diesel AT at the time of Launch.
2. Reliability of MG brand. How will their dealers survive with just one car in the showroom.
3. After Sales could be one area where brand may take a hit as product is not yet tried and tested in India.
4. Pricing of the car.

I am sure MG must have done their thorough home work on after sales but what's the actual ownership experience, we will come to know only when car comes on road. For me, only let down is Diesel AT not being made available at the time of launch.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed