Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2019, 12:00   #256
BANNED

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Remember MG is now a pucca Chinese brand, so how much of the old DNA has survived we do not know. Normally Chinese is cheap and cheerful, and not necessarily durable.

So I will hold on for a few years before investing in any MG Automobile.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 12:02   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVREVV View Post
1. Lack of Diesel AT at the time of Launch.
2. Reliability of MG brand. How will their dealers survive with just one car in the showroom.
3. After Sales could be one area where brand may take a hit as product is not yet tried and tested in India.
4. Pricing of the car.
They really need to price it very aggressively even if it means selling at mere cost price and without much profit. They are a company in an unknown market where word of mouth is the biggest selling factor even today. And the only way to ensure that is to get as many pieces on the road as possible. Luckily for them the SUV segment is the hottest segment in our market right now and there is still not much competition there with only 3 players. Thanks to their Chinese lineage, they sure have experience in one field i.e. out pricing the competition from the market.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 12:05   #258
BHPian

Quote:
I feel Hector to be a good offering from MG but few cons that we need to watch out for:-

1. Lack of Diesel AT at the time of Launch.
2. Reliability of MG brand. How will their dealers survive with just one car in the showroom.
3. After Sales could be one area where brand may take a hit as product is not yet tried and tested in India.
4. Pricing of the car.

I am sure MG must have done their thorough home work on after sales but what's the actual ownership experience, we will come to know only when car comes on road. For me, only let down is Diesel AT not being made available at the time of launch.
My criteria is also the same as you mentioned. It seems like the Diesel Auto will surely be a miss in the Hector as well (along with the Compass & Harrier). Diesel auto-box is becoming a dying breed. That's why I guess have to settle for the Hybrid petrol version for the sole reason of owning an Automatic.
Personally i like the design of the Hector. Looking at this, the Harrier seems more rounded in design. Both colors look really nice. Waiting for the Black & White pictures.
Old 15th April 2019, 13:57   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Remember MG is now a pucca Chinese brand, so how much of the old DNA has survived we do not know.
Sir, you might find this article interesting. Its from September 2016, almost 5 years after MG's acquisition by SAIC.

Quote:
Last week MG said it would no longer carry out final assembly of cars it sells in the UK, its only European market, in the historic Longbridge plant in Birmingham, central England. In future all cars would come from China.

MG restarted production in Longbridge 2011 for two reasons. First to reassure buyers that MG was still at heart a UK brand after being revived by its Chinese owners. And second as a long-range hedge in case it needed a full European production base if the brand became successful.

The all-new MG6 midsize model launched in 2011 was marketed as being "designed, engineered and built in the UK." It didn't work.

Also, it wasn’t really true to say the MG6 was built in the UK. Around 80 percent of the production took place in SAIC's huge new Lingang plant near Shanghai. In Longbridge, a skeleton crew of around 40 production workers married the engine with the rest of the car, and only 10 percent of parts were sourced in the UK or Europe.

The handful of workers rattled around the 105-acre site, which included a mothballed paint shop with capacity for 100,000 cars a year. Before it went bankrupt, MG Rover had employed 6,500 there.
Source
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 16:23   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
My criteria is also the same as you mentioned. It seems like the Diesel Auto will surely be a miss in the Hector as well (along with the Compass & Harrier).
Well, Jeep is launching the trailhawk version soon with a 9 speed Diesel Auto but price will be way too much touching almost 30 Lacs On road making it completely unaffordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else think that these ''scoop'' images have been served on a platter by MG?
Agreed! MG has been slowly serving interior/exterior pics on a platter. Wonder what's left to be shown at the time of official launch?

Last edited by Zappo : 15th April 2019 at 18:14. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 16th April 2019, 00:29   #261
BHPian

I am eagerly waiting for launch, I just hope that they launch fully loaded version at correct price. If done correctly , I believe it will cut creta, harrier and compass wallet.
Old 16th April 2019, 10:03   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet1712 View Post
I am eagerly waiting for launch, I just hope that they launch fully loaded version at correct price. If done correctly , I believe it will cut creta, harrier and compass wallet.
I hope the top model remains under 20 lacs on road, else it will be difficult to sell given that it carries the Chinese brand image with itself.
Alive2Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 10:41   #263
Team-BHP Support

The third advert in the Benedict Cumberbatch series focusses on the connectivity feature, turning on a/c remotely.

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 12:02   #264
Senior - BHPian

Spotted MG Hector on NE1 ( Vadodara to Ahmedabad) by a friend. MG Motor India Pvt. Ltd. is situated at Halol-GUJ. So NE1 is the best playground for them to test their cars.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-1.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-2.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-3.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 12:31   #265
Senior - BHPian

Somehow the Hector doesn't have the same 'cohesive' design other MG cars which were showcased have. Could it be because those were designed during the MG ownership and now the design language also exhibits the new ownership?
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 13:14   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
The design of the tailgate is definitely not to my liking. There are many cars out there which successfully carry out the red section across the tailgate in style, but IMO not this one. The tailgate design looks like an afterthought.

Also the car has seriously puny wheels and I hope these are not the top-spec cars as someone pointed out in the same thread.
Old 16th April 2019, 14:13   #267
Senior - BHPian

The rear/tailgate is simply too busy and bulbous. The faux rear diffuser should have been much smaller and probably in black shade. The front has an overdose of chrome but nothing a good wrap job cannot rectify.
I have a good feeling about this SUV.
hiren.mistry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 15:35   #268
BHPian

The skid plate looks quite bizarre to be honest! The Plastic looks cheap. Why i get a Chinese product feel looking at it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
I hope the top model remains under 20 lacs on road, else it will be difficult to sell given that it carries the Chinese brand image with itself.
I doubt top end variant will be capped under 20 Lacs OTR unless MG springs a surprise for all of us. My sources inside MG told me that the car will be aggressively priced with key focus on after sales. The biggest downer is NO Diesel AT on offer which almost all OEM's seem to be skipping at launch time. God Knows why? For eg, Nissan with Kicks, Tata with Harrier and now MG with Hector.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th April 2019 at 16:04. Reason: Back to back posts
NAVREVV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 02:10   #269
BHPian

Quote:
The skid plate looks quite bizarre to be honest! The Plastic looks cheap. Why i get a Chinese product feel looking at it?

I doubt top end variant will be capped under 20 Lacs OTR unless MG springs a surprise for all of us. My sources inside MG told me that the car will be aggressively priced with key focus on after sales. The biggest downer is NO Diesel AT on offer which almost all OEM's seem to be skipping at launch time. God Knows why? For eg, Nissan with Kicks, Tata with Harrier and now MG with Hector.
Yes everyone was looking for a diesel AT in this segment and there isn't one (I guess), by the way, I checked the Wuling website and the price of the Almaz is around 16.73 lacs for the 1.5 petrol AT (they get a CVT)
sreejinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 10:25   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hector in White. Also, production is underway.

Quote:
The variant of MG Hector you see is either the entry level variant or mid variant. It is seen with single tone alloys, instead of the dual tone machine cut alloys which are seen on the top variant whose media images were released by MG India some time back. Apart from that, it also misses out on sunroof. It continues to get disc brake on all four wheels, also gets projector headlamps with LED DRLs. It misses out on the chrome shoulder line, which is seen on top variant.
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-mghectorwhite.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-mghectorwhite2700x430.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-mghectorwhite3700x430.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-mghectorwhite7.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-mghectorwhitebrownproductionstartsplantindia1.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-mghectorproductionstarts.jpg

RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed