Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2019, 00:46   #421
BHPian

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Have started getting messages on whats app including videos on Hector in Ghaziabad..
Forwarding the message as received ..
Good evening Sir,

I m Pxxxcch Sxxccca from MG motors Patel Nagar III Ghaziabad
Any enquiry about MG Hector First internet car in India with comes with 48 volt hybrid.please call.
This is a mild hybrid
And we have petrol auto Matic and diesel
Version
regards
Pxxccch Sxxxcca

(6 videos attached)

( I overlooked the atrocious English)
Old 13th May 2019, 01:10   #422
BHPian

I guess this is the latest leak, pause at 1:10 and check the gap between the hood and the left fender panel

sreejinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 11:54   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
When I first saw the unevenness here, I thought its the angle and not the car. That doesn't seem to be the case. How many of you guys who have not seen the car thinks that it won't have a good build quality?
IMO, it's not only too early to conclude anything, it is wrong as well to assume that little bit of unevenness means the car is not well built. I think it's about time we stop scrutinizing cars like they are smartphones. Many have pointed out in the past that any car will have some inconsistent panel gaps depending on the design of the car and the angle we look from. For e.g., this from the Hyundai Venue thread:

Old 13th May 2019, 12:07   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
IMO, it's not only too early to conclude anything, it is wrong as well to assume that little bit of unevenness means the car is not well built. I think it's about time we stop scrutinizing cars like they are smartphones. Many have pointed out in the past that any car will have some inconsistent panel gaps depending on the design of the car and the angle we look from.
The problem arises when that inconsistency is not across all the models of that car. No way to know if thats how all are built, but if it is, then its poor QC. By the way my build quality concern wasnt related to the panel gaps, sorry for misleading. Checkout the 3 minute video released by MG on youtube, I believe I posted it here on this thread as well. Thats where my concern of build quality started.
Old 13th May 2019, 13:23   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
The problem arises when that inconsistency is not across all the models of that car. No way to know if thats how all are built, but if it is, then its poor QC. By the way my build quality concern wasnt related to the panel gaps, sorry for misleading. Checkout the 3 minute video released by MG on Youtube, I believe I posted it here on this thread as well. Thats where my concern of build quality started.
Being a 100% Chinese product, one can expect poor quality. I have serious doubts on its reliability and long term ownership satisfaction.
Old 13th May 2019, 13:37   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron-w16 View Post
Being a 100% Chinese product, one can expect poor quality. I have serious doubts on its reliability and long term ownership satisfaction.
Basically, you haven't seen the car, nor touched it, nor driven it, nor owned it for a period of time and yet you have concluded on its quality, reliability & long term ownership satisfaction just on the basis its a 100% Chinese car ?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th May 2019 at 14:32. Reason: We need to be polite here at any given point. Make your point without getting aggresive.
deepjaju is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 14:31   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Have you experienced the car?If yes then please do let us know what you liked about it and how does it compare with others in the segment.It would help a lot of perspective buyers here.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th May 2019 at 14:32. Reason: editing the quoted text as it has been deleted.
praveen_n is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 14:52   #428
BHPian

This actually is an interesting point. MG Brand originally from UK, now owned by a Chinese company but heavily localized and made in India.

Talk about globalization.
ihrishi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 15:41   #429
Senior - BHPian

Till now I was confused as to if Hector is a 5 seater or a 7 seater. But finally got to zoom in on an image in their web page to realise that it is a 5 seater indeed. I was under the impression that it will challenge the XUV500 and Hexa, but I guess that the targets are rather Creta/Tucson, Harrier, Compass etc.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-information-glance.png
Image from their website

Name:  IMG_20190513_154030.png
Views: 4157
Size:  130.3 KB
Zoomed in cropped photo showing that it is a 5 seater indeed.

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 13th May 2019 at 15:42.
AdityaDeane is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 17:18   #430
BHPian

Yesterday I attended an event at my Place hosted by Audi Bengaluru. I was Happy to hear from Karnataka Head, Jubilant Group which owns Audi & Porsche Showroom in Bangalore that Jubilant Group have acquired MG dealership for Bengaluru & Constructing 7 Showrooms in the different parts of the city. Interesting to see such niche players are looking for MG, while everyone are skeptical of it's Chinese Ownership.
KING DYSP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 17:34   #431
BHPian

I am in the market for a car and I am quite sure the Hector is not going to make it to my consideration set at all. What with those busy steering wheel, the garish rear, the out-of-proportion grille and the dozen switches; can't see anything I like or appeals to me.

Of course, all this information I got only from the pics posted in this thread.
Old 13th May 2019, 18:12   #432
BHPian

Hector is definitely in my shopping list if it has sound mechanicals, good-to-neutral driving dynamics and more importantly robust A.S.S. I agree the rear looks out of place, has inconsistent panel gaps but there are no major grouse for me apart from non-availability of diesel auto.
The feature list is impressive, petrol turbo + DCT with 48-volt mild-hybrid. I'm not too worried about Chinese legacy since it's made in India with ~ 70% localization. Not everything Chinese is cheap. So if they're able to price it well and able to work on A.S.S, it will sell decent. OnePlus could do it in India in high-end mobile segment so no reason to believe MG can't do given the same model is already on road in many different parts of world. It's not a unknown entity even for them except for features being made available only for India.
LeoMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 18:20   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING DYSP View Post
Interesting to see such niche players are looking for MG, while everyone are skeptical of it's Chinese Ownership.
I think it has to do with the perception that Chinese products are cheap and of low quality. From my experience, I know that they make products of all levels of quality. Just that generally people import and sell only cheap stuff. It's a fact that a big percentage of mobile phones that are sold in India are Chinese and nobody is complaining (at least these days). And if anybody has the right to complain about quality of workmanship, it's not US. Such is the reputation we have gathered these days. Just think about it - if a dime a dozen blade (3 for 10 Rs to be precise) has to be imported from China, it doesn't paint a good picture of ourselves.

I expect (when/if mouth-watering prices are announced) people to line up in front of MG showrooms, just like it happened with Mi and Jio.

Coming back to the Hector, honestly the front is not to my liking, but still far better than those mesh-like thing people buy and replace the grill with these days.
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 09:13   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
Have you experienced the car?If yes then please do let us know what you liked about it and how does it compare with others in the segment.It would help a lot of perspective buyers here.
To give you more background about myself, I am official editorial board member of SAE for future cars globally, I review upcoming technologies which will come into production may be 5 to 10 years from now in developed countries. I am the official reviewer of international journal on autonomous car. I hope that gives an answer to Deepjaju on what basis i could talk about MG hector.

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2019 at 09:52. Reason: No need to be rude, buddy
veyron-w16 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 09:30   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To give you more background about myself, I am official editorial board member of SAE for future cars globally, I review upcoming technologies which will come into production may be 5 to 10 years from now in developed countries. I am the official reviewer of international journal on autonomous car. I hope that gives an answer to Deepjaju on what basis i could talk about MG hector.
I hope all members can take it in the right spirit and avoid any personal attacks on any other member's credibility.
Your presence on this forum would certainly add a lot of knowledge to the forum and I would request you to continue. Please do not take personally comments from any other users.
The truth is that none of the users (apart from SINGH) have actually seen or experienced the Hector first hand and any opinions at this point are just conjecture.
I would request all members to hold on to their opinions till they finally see the car. I also hope that we will also get to see an official TBHP review of the Hector very soon. Most companies now realize the power of TBHP reviews and do try to give review cars for a thorough review by tBHP. Some manufacturers are actually scared of TBHP reviews too and try to give improved cars multiple times (take the case of Harrier or XUV300!)
Honest request to all - please refrain from personal attacks of any nature and present your opinions in a neutral manner (New members please read the TBHP rules once again.)

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2019 at 09:53. Reason: Quoted post edited
Behemoth is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks