Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2019, 08:57   #511
BHPian

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Im more interested to see how the Hybrid drives. Sadly only the petrol gets the DCT.

MG is starting off with 120 outlets and aim to have 350 in total by September this year. Now that's quite something. If it translates to great service, its mission accomplished.

A lot will depend on the pricing and I have a feeling that the entry level model will have a very competitive price and could undercut the Harrier. Just my gut feeling.
Yes Buddy, I was also very keen to experience the DCT & Hybrid combo.

As far as I remember Rajiv mentioned at launch they will have 120 "touch points" - dont think that can be all showrooms, and then another 130 "touch points" will be added by September taking the total to 250. It is the marketing speak to mask the number of showrooms which I feel would be far less.

Also don't know if many noticed from the brochure that Apple Carplay is amiss!

Even though I would have really liked to see an auto hybrid and would have been my first choice to buy, if the car is priced right, feels reliable and solid on TD and reports are good up till the launch, I am going to take the plunge. I am most definitely booking the car at least. Fingers Crossed!

Last edited by AGwagon : 16th May 2019 at 09:01. Reason: Adding some observations!
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 09:07   #512
BHPian

I am told that the Hector is same as Baojun 530(In China) which is same as Chevy Captiva (In US). So this does give some kind of assurance to me.
Quality levels from the look of it seems decent. Should be at least better than the XUV500 which comes with shoddy plastics inside.
Old 16th May 2019, 09:28   #513
Team-BHP Support

TATA Motors prepares their sales staff to deal with the new competition.

Thanks to a little birdie for sending me this information. As further details of Hector have been revealed, it is clear that the Hector will target the same customer base as the Harrier (IMHO more so than other cars like the Creta and Compass) - both cars being very similar in terms of dimensions, engine options, design elements, seat combinations (5 launched & 7 coming later), features etc. TATA Motors is not going to take this competition lightly and are preparing their staff to highlight the advantages of the Harrier v/s the new entrant.

PS: This is a marketing material and is most likely not going to be a fair comparison. Please do not shoot the messenger.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190515181719.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190515181731.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190515181742.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190515181752.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190515181803.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190515181823.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190515181836.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190515181847.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190515181854.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190515181908.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190515181926.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190515181935.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190515181947.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190515181955.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190515182003.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190515182009.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 09:46   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

^Looks like Tata are pretty worried. Lot of small things picked up for comparison and focus on the 'chinese' heritage. Considering the niggles the Harrier is facing, kind of a risky proposition to focus on the quality aspect at this time.
Rajeevraj is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 09:57   #515
BHPian

If this is the best comparison Tata can do, is going to be a real tough battle ahead! Surely they are already worried with the team bhp review, and the hector will take it to the next level.
avdhesh15 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 10:13   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Thanks to a little birdie for sending me this information. As further details of Hector have been revealed, it is clear that the Hector will target the same customer base as the Harrier (IMHO more so than other cars like the Creta and Compass) - both cars being very similar in terms of dimensions, engine options, design elements, seat combinations (5 launched & 7 coming later), features etc. TATA Motors is not going to take this competition lightly and are preparing their staff to highlight the advantages of the Harrier v/s the new entrant.

PS: This is a marketing material and is most likely not going to be a fair comparison. Please do not shoot the messenger.
Thanks for sharing. Wow!

Tata is really scared! I do agree this is expected from them as there is no doubt that Harrier is the first one to get affected and they are the one with the freshest product on which they spent years and million developing.

If I were in MG I would have turned this very marketing slide show around and let the customers be the judge. I have enough TATA cars in my garage to know, how the finer nuances and details of this brochure is going to be butchered by the Tata sales guys

I was in the market for a replacement for my XUV when Harrier was launched. Had infact just bought a car from TATA within a week of the launch, and was decently underwhelmed having TDed the car, also no auto was a no deal for me. Hoping the same doesn't happen with Hector as well.

When I bought the XUV it had launched just 3 days before a totally new platform and a big leap from Mahindra and I had no intentions of buying the car but I was floored with what it offered and at what value (Heart more than Head), and used my credit card to book the car immediately. Turned out to be a great experience. I just sold my XUV which took my family many places over 1lakh KM driven and was extremely frugal and needed almost nothing on maintenance. Sure the plastics were cheap, there were a lot of niggles which were promptly rectified by Mahindra's brilliant customer care (when they used the first customers like guinea pigs, they made sure they were looked after and pampered).Just sold the car for ~50% of the purchase price after 8 years of ownership and if it wasn't for the 10yr rule in Delhi, would have gone easily another 1Lakh km.

So I feel as long as MG is committed to work with the customers and give a great ASS experience, I do not see why the customer should worry!
AGwagon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 10:17   #517
BHPian

If one is to watch the crash test moments (3:18 to 3:30) from this video, TATA should actually be worried. A potential customer is far more informed than the sales guys in some TATA showrooms, this sales pitch is just plain stupid.

TATA trying to play on the Chinese sentiment will backfire massively if Hector's quality, fit and finish is going to better the Harrier!!

Its Hector vs Harrier!! game on!
vinair is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 10:50   #518
BHPian

This looks more like some dealer or regional office prepared content than from the TATA marketing team. Marketing teams wouldnt sound so naive.

Quote:
soji is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 11:49   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1876588
Conventional? Floating Island? This is hilarious.

Chinese lineage, unknown build quality/fit and finish and copy-cat designs aside, MG seems to have pulled the right strings so far. They have got people interested towards the brand/car; and have made an incumbent worried. #LoveCompetition. This can be only good for the consumers.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 12:25   #520
Senior - BHPian

Most of the companies with DSG or DCT have had problems with them in India: they're inherently prone to fail at regular intervals. Skoda has built it's "reputation" and has been milking it's clients at service running up huge costs based on it's "mechatronics" failure which doesn't do well in our typical stop and go traffic. So we have a 'fledgling' Chinese company with few and far between service centers coming out with a DCT: be forewarned. That said Hector looks like a million bucks: same way the Chinese products 'Wow' you when you first set eyes on it. Don't be fooled by "Hi, Benedict"! Harrier better be worried, so would be the Hyundai Venue which looks like a "jacked up" Grand i10: If Hyundai goes ahead and prices it 'optimistically' and if Hector is going to be priced like any other Chinese product: meaning 'bargain' basement, then we would have great times ahead.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 16th May 2019 at 12:29.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 12:27   #521
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just got this from MG Motors. Supposedly "exclusive" features of the Hector:

Quote:
MG HECTOR: 19 EXCLUSIVE FEATURES

1. Internet Car with OTA (50+ Connected Features)
2. 48V Hybrid SUV
3. Biggest exterior dimensions (Length & Wheelbase)
4. Biggest interior space
5. Biggest boot space
6. Biggest Panoramic Sunroof
7. Biggest 10.4-inch HD Touchscreen
8. Best-in-segment 7-inch digital coloured information cluster display
9. First-in-segment LED lighting (front & rear)
10. First-in-segment Floating Turn Indicators
11. First-in-segment (Safety): 3-point seat belts for all 5 passengers
12. First in-segment (Safety): 360 Degree Camera
13. First-in-segment (Safety): Front parking sensors
14. First-in-segment: Premium sound system by Infinity
15. First in segment: heated ORVMs
16. First in-segment: powered co-driver seat
17. First-in-segment: powered tailgate
18. First-in-segment 8-colour ambient lighting
19. Best-in-segment Fuel Efficiency (Diesel MT & Petrol MT– Mild Hybrid)
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 12:45   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Most of the companies with DSG or DCT have had problems with them in India: they're inherently prone to fail at regular intervals. Skoda has built it's "reputation" and has been milking it's clients at service running up huge costs based on it's "mechatronics" failure which doesn't do well in our typical stop and go traffic. So we have a 'fledgling' Chinese company with few and far between service centers coming out with a DCT: be forewarned.
I echo your sentiments. We still have problems trusting Germans and Japs, with decades of production experience, with their DCT. It's nothing short of a gamble trusting a DCT from a new to market Chinese manufacturer.
Old 16th May 2019, 12:46   #523
Senior - BHPian

Only thing to be revealed is whether Hector would be labelled with a sticker price that would shatter the competition. It may turn out as a blessing for the consumer if there is a price correction among the cars in the segment.

I stand for made in India products but I hope Tata Motors does not resort to any such astroturfing. If a product is good and VFM then it would not take long for it to find acceptance among the consumers, irrespective of the place of its origin.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 13:38   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI compares the specifications of cars in this segment, draws a speculative price of MG Hector.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-0.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-1.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-2.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-3.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-4.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th May 2019 at 13:40.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 14:09   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
MG HECTOR: 19 EXCLUSIVE FEATURES

1. Internet Car with OTA (50+ Connected Features)
2. 48V Hybrid SUV
3. Biggest exterior dimensions (Length & Wheelbase)
4. Biggest interior space
5. Biggest boot space
6. Biggest Panoramic Sunroof
7. Biggest 10.4-inch HD Touchscreen....
More of an English Language nit-pick. When you say 'biggest', it needs to be relative to something else. Since MG has not stated that, or the segment, makes these a little vague.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed