Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2019, 13:54   #601
BHPian

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Expect no more than 7-8 kmpl in city traffic. This is precisely why petrol Suvs dont make any sense in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
True that, in Mumbai where the average speeds are less than 15 km/h our humble hatches and sub 4 mtr sedans struggle to cross 10 kmpl.
I would recommend a long test drive in traffic conditions to gauge the mileage figures one can expect from any vehicle.

I know both of you are correct, but somehow my heart was getting settled on Hector as the next upgrade. My issue is that my average monthly mileage is north of 2k KM, with a daily commute to-fro - Delhi-GGN. Which is generally a mix of city and small highway stretches, with average speed of 30-40kmph usually. Since I drive myself I need a fun-to-drive car with an Auto.

Having driven diesels daily now for 3 cars (Dzire VDI, XUV W8, Zest XMA) all north of 70k kms, I am presently looking to replace the XUV. Although my daily driver has been zest for 3+yrs now. We have another 3 cars in the family which includes the new Dzire ZXI+ AGS, whose engine refinement/NVH lately I have started to enjoy coupled with great FE (15+kmpl).

I am now extremely confused on which automatic car should I go for, my budget is up to 20L and also whether it needs to be a Diesel or Petrol. I am also not averse to buying a pre-worshipped/'good as new' used car which will suit my needs. I do not need it to be a SUV only, but given what we have already in the family, would definitely prefer one!

Any suggestions anyone?
Old 29th May 2019, 13:58   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
I am now extremely confused on which automatic car should I go for, my budget is up to 20L and also whether it needs to be a Diesel or Petrol. I am also not averse to buying a pre-worshipped/'good as new' used car which will suit my needs. I do not need it to be a SUV only, but given what we have already in the family, would definitely prefer one!

Any suggestions anyone?
I am almost in the exact situation and I decided to go for a used Fortuner AT 4x2 or 4x4 either one is fine by me. Just like you I almost finalized the Hector, of course I need to drive it first. But when I heard there is diesel auto and even the DCT is coming without the hybrid, I had to drop the option. If you dont require a good ground clearance the other option would be an year old AWD Hyundai Tucson

Last edited by manson : 31st May 2019 at 13:41. Reason: Trimmed quote.
sreejinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 14:58   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I am almost in the exact situation and I decided to go for a used Fortuner AT 4x2 or 4x4 either one is fine by me. Just like you I almost finalized the Hector, of course I need to drive it first. But when I heard there is diesel auto and even the DCT is coming without the hybrid, I had to drop the option. If you dont require a good ground clearance the other option would be an year old AWD Hyundai Tucson
+1 absolutely in the same boat I feel, and a Hyundai Tuscon did cross my mind! However, I am yet to find a decent example with all the bells & whistles. GC is not an issue at all for me. Any idea what mileage could you expect from a Tuscon? And what should be the ballpark value for an year old one given the new one is already out globally? The last time I visited Hyundai showroom the latest India version is selling at 2L+ discount.
Old 30th May 2019, 11:36   #604
BHPian

Quote:
+1 absolutely in the same boat I feel, and a Hyundai Tuscon did cross my mind! However, I am yet to find a decent example with all the bells & whistles. GC is not an issue at all for me. Any idea what mileage could you expect from a Tuscon? And what should be the ballpark value for an year old one given the new one is already out globally? The last time I visited Hyundai showroom the latest India version is selling at 2L+ discount.
In my city the top end Tucson costs around, 33L, I was offered 30.5L, an year old should cost around 25L. I'm not sure about the mileage, check out the tucson official review on tbhp, it should have those details.
Old 30th May 2019, 12:11   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Hector bookings to open in 120 outlets across India from 4th June 2019 .

Bookings for the Hector SUV will open only online on the company's website on the said date from 12 pm.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th May 2019 at 12:14.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 14:28   #606
BHPian

Quote:

Any suggestions anyone?
Like me , you could wait for the KIA SP2I ! Have a look at the beauty and you will be hooked. I am in the same boat as yours and waiting for a new mid segment automatic 5 seater SUV. This festive season promises to be exciting for such new launches and i am holding my horses !

Last edited by manson : 31st May 2019 at 13:40. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 30th May 2019, 15:23   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasitkhanna View Post
Like me , you could wait for the KIA SP2I ! Have a look at the beauty and you will be hooked. I am in the same boat as yours and waiting for a new mid segment automatic 5 seater SUV. This festive season promises to be exciting for such new launches and i am holding my horses !
Its smaller in size though. A friend has seen it in Bangalore and it is Creta sized. If that is not in your list of priorities, then yes, it is quite a loaded vehicle, with all the bells and whistles, including a rumored HUD as well.
ihrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 15:40   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
Its smaller in size though. A friend has seen it in Bangalore and it is Creta sized. If that is not in your list of priorities, then yes, it is quite a loaded vehicle, with all the bells and whistles, including a rumored HUD as well.
I believe a Creta sized vehicle is just about right for our crowded cities. I took a test drive of the Harrier yesterday and found it extremely cumbersome and daunting to drive in and around our lanes.

I have high hopes for this Kia, hope it has all the features that most of us aspire in a car/suv.
hiren.mistry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 15:47   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasitkhanna View Post
Already watching that space as well my friend, but somehow I feel that price to size ratio will be all wrong with Kia. Given Creta IMO is already overpriced, Kia will surely br further up and at that pricing it may not look as interesting. But surely time to wait and watch, merely 20 days or so left till we know the complete picture.
Old 30th May 2019, 16:27   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I believe a Creta sized vehicle is just about right for our crowded cities. I took a test drive of the Harrier yesterday and found it extremely cumbersome and daunting to drive in and around our lanes.

I have high hopes for this Kia, hope it has all the features that most of us aspire in a car/suv.

The medium size and "loaded to the gills" are important considerations for me , since the Wifey will be driven in it (and occasionally drive it too) in the crowded streets of Dilshad Garden, Delhi. It will be our car for drives to the Kuamon Hills(replacing our well dusted Duster) , while my daily drive is the 320d
drasitkhanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 17:11   #611
r.K
BHPian

I had a call with one of the sales guys of MG. The mid variant misses out on the following:
- Panaromic sunroof
- 360* camera
- 2 airbags (it gets 4 airbags)
- Rain sensing wipers
- Auto headlights
- Heated OVRMs
- 4way power adjustable seats
- 7" MID with navigation

Last edited by r.K : 30th May 2019 at 17:21. Reason: Added info
r.K is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 18:09   #612
Senior - BHPian

r.K, I think it still has lot of other features which are selectively available in other popular vehicles. A mid variant vehicle having 4 air bags is the way to go for all popular car manufacturers in India.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 19:23   #613
r.K
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
r.K, I think it still has lot of other features which are selectively available in other popular vehicles. A mid variant vehicle having 4 air bags is the way to go for all popular car manufacturers in India.
Definitely. It has the 10" screen, 4 airbags, push start/stop, 8 speakers/sub woofer, etc.

And the mid variant has power-adjustable seats for driver. Top variant has power adjustable for driver additionally

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st May 2019 at 08:52. Reason: sunscreen > screen
r.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 19:52   #614
BHPian

Saw this MG Motor showroom in Manpada, Thane. The showroom seems to be all set to open:
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img_20190529_180827_hdr.jpg

Probably the first car showroom I've seen that is ready to be thrown open to public, has staff working inside, but is yet to have a car on display!
Torque_Curve is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 21:05   #615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque_Curve View Post
Saw this MG Motor showroom in Manpada, Thane. The showroom seems to be all set to open
MG Motors dealership in Chennai is also ready but officially not inaugurated. Am told that they are all waiting for MG’ s own showroom in Gurgaon to open _ which I am told would happen on 4th June

Last edited by ampere : 30th May 2019 at 21:22. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
madhavan1605 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed