Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2019, 12:05   #1621
Team-BHP Support

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

When I visited Kerala last year it looked like a Jeep country with so many Compass on the road. And this time around the scene has changed – now its raining MG Hector; so much that my daughter was counting the Hectors she spotted during our Thrissur – Ernakulam drives. The car surely has good road presence and that logo looks really nice. That said I felt the car looked a bit bulbous, when compared to the Compass or the Harrier.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 17:41   #1622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
Does anyone know the performance timings of the hector petrol dct? Kia is about 9.7s for the gtline manual I believe.
It takes around 11 seconds. The petrol should take a little longer. I couldn't find the official figures though.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 19:46   #1623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
It takes around 11 seconds. The petrol should take a little longer. I couldn't find the official figures though.
The Hector Diesel takes 11.2 seconds for the 0-100 sprint. I would be very surprised if the Petrol DCT is faster. With 30% lower torque and almost 20% lower hp, it should take 13-14 seconds for the Petrol FCT and Manual in my view, with DCT probably being the faster.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 15th August 2019 at 19:47.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 22:50   #1624
BHPian

Friend shared the below image of yet another MG Hector breaking down. His friend clicked the picture and it's reported that the family was left stranded in it at dusty, polluted and chaotic KR Puram, Bengaluru. The car is less than a month old as per 'mParivahan' application details.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-mg_hector_breakdown_krpuram.jpeg
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 00:11   #1625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinodh_Gowda View Post
Friend shared the below image of yet another MG Hector breaking down.
Oh dear, another breakdown. Too many of these are showing up now. I hope MG has found what is causing these breakdowns. Of course it might be different in each case reported. MG will have to up their game, the first impressions dont look good.
Old 16th August 2019, 05:26   #1626
Senior - BHPian

Obviously, they were stranded in the dusty, polluted and chaotic KR Puram for keeping the front windows open. The front wheel position makes it hard to believe that vehicle had a breakdown.
deehunk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 08:06   #1627
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Obviously, they were stranded in the dusty, polluted and chaotic KR Puram for keeping the front windows open. The front wheel position makes it hard to believe that vehicle had a breakdown.
If it is a DCT, there is a chance of ‘transmission oil temperature high’ temporary breakdown. As Bangalore traffic is no less than chaotic, it is possible. Just an assumption, I don’t have any details to prove this.

If this is actually a breakdown, MG better get its act together ASAP. Otherwise we are going to see lot of ‘British heritages’ stranded on Indian roads.

Last edited by pavi : 16th August 2019 at 08:10.
Old 16th August 2019, 08:48   #1628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
If it is a DCT, there is a chance of ‘transmission oil temperature high’ temporary breakdown. As Bangalore traffic is no less than chaotic, it is possible. Just an assumption, I don’t have any details to prove this.
There is no 'transmission oil' as such in a DCT like in the torque converter other than the oil which is used for lubricating the moving parts. In case of a TC, it is the fluid/oil which transmits the power and it can often get heated up (and the viscosity thinning down) on a heavy usage.
Guna is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 09:28   #1629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
+1 to that. Maybe the owner was simply filling up windshield washer fluid to wipe out all the dust .

Personally I feel that we shouldn't post "breakdown news" of this or any other car if its from a 3rd party source. Its fine if we spot something ourselves, confirm that its a breakdown and then post with the actual cause of the breakdown. This will actually be of real use to the readers.

There are plenty reports here and on other threads about other cars also where we report "friend spotted this broken down xxxx". These really have no credibility. We Indians are generally trigger happy and kind of enjoy reporting and watching break downs. Many a times it wont be a break-down at all! We better not spread misleading information based on floating inputs.

It also adds unnecessary anxiety for prospective / waiting buyers who have put their money on a car & are waiting for delivery.

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th August 2019 at 09:51.
Reinhard is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 09:56   #1630
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
+1 to that. Maybe the owner was simply filling up windshield washer fluid to wipe out all the dust .

Personally I feel that we shouldn't post "breakdown news" of this or any other car if its from a 3rd party. Its fine if we spot something ourselves, confirm that its a breakdown and then post with the actual cause of the breakdown which will actually be of use.

There are plenty reports here and on other threads about other cars also where we report "friend spotted this broken down xxxx". These really have no credibility. We Indians are generally trigger happy and kind of enjoy reporting and watching break downs. Many a times it wont be a break-down at all! We better not spread misleading information based on floating inputs.

It also adds unnecessary anxiety for prospective / waiting buyers who have put their money on a car & are waiting for delivery.
+1 to deehunk and Reinhard
The position in which the car is sitting just by the barricade, doesn't suggest what has been posted. Way to dramatise.."The helpless family being stranded in a dusty & polluted environment". Just in the last page, we had discussed this fake person impersonating as the owner, which again was sheepishly shared by another member. Let us not indulge in what others are doing and try and keep the information here true and reliable. If not, please only post with the disclaimer up top and centre.
AGwagon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 11:05   #1631
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
+1 to deehunk and Reinhard
The position in which the car is sitting just by the barricade, doesn't suggest what has been posted. Way to dramatise.."The helpless family being stranded in a dusty & polluted environment".
+1. I was about to post the same thing. May be it is true, may be it is not. But the way OP has framed that sentence is definitely fishy and over dramatic.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 12:51   #1632
BHPian

Quote:

Personally I feel that we shouldn't post "breakdown news" of this or any other car if its from a 3rd party source. Its fine if we spot something ourselves, confirm that its a breakdown and then post with the actual cause of the breakdown. This will actually be of real use to the readers.
Couldn't agree more. With social media there is always this haste to circulate without verifying genuineness.
I have heard a few so called "rumours" of breakdown etc of Hector, but when challenged back didn't get any substance behind.

We look forward to Team BHP forums discussions to learn from each other - both good and the not so good, but definitely the genuine stuff!

And again, no car is perfect, its all about the owner's wishlist, choices and the decision.
Our forums and opinions are just aids to informed decision making.

Happy revving!
DASKD24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 13:05   #1633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Agree. In this age of paid negative influencing, it is very easy to plant stories or spin it in ways completely opposite to the actual truth. While the posts here may be in good intention, the 'forward' or 'share' through which it came may not be showing the full story. So we should post it here after getting as much information as possible.

The location shown in the picture is probably a place with max connectivity in Bangalore. You are minutes away from a metro station, a railway station, buses to most parts , not to mention absolute easy availability of autos and Ubers. There is a hector showroom probably 2 km from here. While it is never pleasant to be in a breakdown of any form, calling it 'family was stranded' is over dramatizing.

Having said that, if it is a smear campaign, MG should investigate and put out the needed clarifications. If these are cases of cars randomly breaking down, then also it is important that MG does the proper investigation and help reassure the customers who are waiting or planning to book.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 16th August 2019 at 13:08.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 13:25   #1634
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
There is no 'transmission oil' as such in a DCT like in the torque converter other than the oil which is used for lubricating the moving parts. In case of a TC, it is the fluid/oil which transmits the power and it can often get heated up (and the viscosity thinning down) on a heavy usage.
What I meant was this.
Hyundai Venue transmission temperature warning (Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs).

Yes, transmission ‘oil’ in my previous comment added the confusion.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 15:01   #1635
Senior - BHPian

As long as the oil does not ignite fire it is fine, what we are seeing today is what Hyundai and Maruti did in late 90's to damage the brand name of Daewoo. The negative campaign was then done unofficially, this time to same approach is being followed. Why spread rumours in the name of a friend or friend's neighbour?
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks