Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2019, 08:37   #1681
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASKD24 View Post
How about petrols. What can be a tentative increment for a Petrol BSVI vs BSIV?
Is the wait worth it?
The delta on the norms for petrol isn't much. Consequently, it shouldn't take much to meet the BSVI norms for petrol vehicles. The price difference between the two shouldn't be much either.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 13:00   #1682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkyoPandaMan View Post
Hi all,

I am from Delhi and have booked the MG Hector, Sharp Trim, Petrol DCT Automatic, White Color ...relating to quality issues of the MG Hector.

1. Some saying its breaking down (within a few days of getting the car)
2. Some say quality is not good (panels gaps and all)
3. Some feel that after sales will be a problem (being a new company)
4. Some say re-sale value might be an issue later (depends on the response)
5. Some just simply say, its Chinese

Also, I personally also feel that since there is so much electronics involved in the car, especially the screen (which pretty much controls everything). So I would like to put this question forward: "Should I still go for this car ?"
First of all congratulations on the allocation, I am guessing this is with the Moti Nagar showroom, as I was informed to take delivery from the very same lot, but my colour wasn't available so I have to wait further.

Well as for the doubts that you have been having, I am pretty much in the same boat, and like any decision you would need to prioritise your preferences.

Firstly, you should decide whether you are keen on taking the benefit of early delivery before it becomes a common sight and the possible prices increase for some discomfort from some niggles (if you are unlucky) that you may face temporarily. No questions, these will be promptly sorted out by MG, as we have not really heard of a case where the customer who suffered these have not got these rectified by MG, but it might still bother you so think about it! So if like me , you feel the known positives outweigh the unknown negatives, you should just go ahead (I am going to do the same!)

To my mind there is no question that Hector is a stunning VFM package, where both MG and the Moti Nagar showroom folks seems more than willing to go the extra mile to help its new customers. However, there is also no question that the car simply doesn't have the quality and fit & finish (panel gaps) of the Europeans, however, to me it is one of the best in its price bracket.

Further, I feel you should rest easy on the ASS worry as long as your car will be mostly driven around NCR initially, as there are enough workshops to cater for single model volumes that they expect right now, and soon more workshops will be added. Plus, the shield packages should cover all worries of losing any money in fixing of any such issues.

Coming to the screen issue, while everything being controlled by a screen may not be ergonomically ideal while driving, but believe me very soon all cars will only have that- look at the latest germans - Audi, Mercedes, Land Rover, etc, and even the new Creta which will have the same portrait orientation of the MG, it would be only screens galore. As long as the system has the capability of being updated and the company has the intentions to do it, I do not think it should be a concern. I personally love the minimal fuss-free design of the Hector over the Seltos's interior. Your preference might be the opposite, you can decide on that.

Also aren't all these features (found in cars a couple of segments above) at the mouth watering pricing the pulling factor for you to look at MG? Would you have considered it without 70% of the features? I am sure I wouldn't have! Again all cars from hereon (in this price bracket) will be connected cars and would have to be loaded. As may others have already pointed out in the forum, the new slew of tech and features which started from the Venue, Hector & Seltos is likely the big move and change that the industry has seen in years and others will have to comply!

As for the last point on resale, it is simply too soon to judge for that and often in India the brilliance of the product alone doesn't have anything to do with it. It is largely a question of did it sell in numbers and was your purchase acquisition price comparatively competitive? There is no way to judge that for any new car, so if this is a very high priority you should stay away from new launches! My guess is MG with the really aggressive introductory pricing, BS6 expected cost increments and being sold out on their inventory for 6-7 months, gives me the confidence to go ahead with my purchase.

Hope my long post helps. The decision is yours. Please do update us on what you ended up doing, and if you took the delivery do share your experiences soon.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd August 2019 at 09:47. Reason: Typo.
AGwagon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 13:29   #1683
Team-BHP Support

Frankly, if an owner has a serious issue, or a bunch of owners have issues, they would have reached out here, directly or indirectly!
ajmat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 15:13   #1684
BHPian

Noticed this one yesterday afternoon in Malad. Note the left tail light illumination upon braking as compared to the one on the right and top-centre. I thought the light + camera angle played with the illumination capture on the picture so checked instantly with the naked eye to confirm the difference. It looked like a brand new car too (ribbons on the door handles, plastics on seats which I noticed moments after I overtook). That INTERNET INSIDE badge is something I cannot get used to.
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-tail-lights.jpeg  

ankur_fox is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 15:25   #1685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox View Post
Noticed this one yesterday afternoon in Malad. Note the left tail light illumination upon braking as compared to the one on the right and top-centre. I thought the light + camera angle played with the illumination capture on the picture so checked instantly with the naked eye to confirm the difference. It looked like a brand new car too (ribbons on the door handles, plastics on seats which I noticed moments after I overtook). That INTERNET INSIDE badge is something I cannot get used to.
Oh... that doesn't look cool at all. Especially as the owner would have to be only told about this issue by a very keen observer, before he goes back to MG to get this rectified. Not cool, but the problem seems to be consistent with what others have posted as well.
AGwagon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 15:30   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Looks like your Friend has bought a Hector recently!! By the way I'm sure that fellow has contributed a lot to Estate's demise ( just kidding).
Those days, it was common to open the bonnet and pour Water or Coolant, battery problems, checking engine oil level, loose wires, fuses etc.,

In fact, it was a daily ritual in the morning to check the Radiator, Engine oil before starting a diesel engine. After the advent of crdi engines, maintenance of diesel and petrol engines has become almost same, barring few consumables.
jaaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 15:45   #1687
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
How come Kia Seltos engines (both Petro and Diesel) are certified as BS VI ready? Even Maruti has already launched many of their Petrol vehicles as BS VI ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
There's a difference between "ready" and compliant / certified. There are certain requirements that need to be in place, which could be provided for. However, the functionality and even effectiveness determines compliance.
KIA Seltos diesel & petrol as well as quite a few of Maruti's petrols are already certified. They are "BSVI COMPLIANT". Not just "BSVI Ready". In fact the Seltos wears a BharatVI compliance logo as well on its hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox View Post
Noticed this one yesterday afternoon in Malad. Note the left tail light illumination upon braking as compared to the one on the right and top-centre. I thought the light + camera angle played with the illumination capture on the picture so checked instantly with the naked eye to confirm the difference.
Man thats 3rd Hector noticed with malfunctioning tail-lamp clusters in a week within Pune-Mumbai. I saw 2 units already last week. Thanks for the picture! I couldn't capture one due to traffic both times.

Prospective buyers - please insist on a PDI. This is a new car (and a good car!) so PDIs before registration are really a must. Ensure you include the checks on brake-light illumination and synchronization in your PDI please.

Last edited by Reinhard : 19th August 2019 at 15:50.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 15:45   #1688
Senior - BHPian

I am not good in petrol engines, but expect a hike of 65k to 80K. Maruti and Hyundai have advantage over other players. There is no need to wait for buying petrol cars.
Old 19th August 2019, 16:36   #1689
BHPian

@Mods sorry to sound like a broken record, but I thought GTO promised the official review soon!

we are eagerly waiting! Could you please let us know by when will it be up?
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 17:05   #1690
Senior - BHPian

I too requested GTO on Saturday, they are testing and will take about 2 months.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 17:22   #1691
BHPian

Hey guys.
I have bought one of the earliest hectors on the forum and till now have no niggles or any issues in either the car or the touchscreen. Keeping fingers crossed and hope that they are no problems arise.

I am not able to post any review or photographs as the car is driven by my father and I study in a college in a different city.

The car has done about 250 kms and the most positive thing about the car is the comfort and the NVH of the petrol. There is a definite lag lower down but there is a surge of power as soon as you cross 2000 rpm.
msd7 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 17:44   #1692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
First of all congratulations on the allocation, I am guessing this is with the Moti Nagar showroom, as I was informed to take delivery from the very same lot, but my colour wasn't available so I have to wait further.

Firstly, you should decide whether you are keen on taking the benefit of early delivery before it becomes a common sight and the possible prices increase for some discomfort from some niggles (if you are unlucky) that you may face temporarily........Hope my long post helps. The decision is yours. Please do update us on what you ended up doing, and if you took the delivery do share your experiences soon.
Wow, thanks AGwagon for that detailed post. Sometimes I feel the longer the posts are, just means more information and that's always good! Well, here comes my version of the "long" post.

I agree with what you have mentioned in your post and makes sense. Its a more practical way of looking at it.

As for my decision, well let me elaborate on that.

First off, I ended up booking the car at the Lajpat Nagar Showroom. I was one of the first ones to do so, back in the end of May.

Now I went to the dealership yesterday, the 18th, to check out the car again. As mentioned I had booked the Petrol, DCT Sharp Variant. As I was waiting for one of the executives with whom I was interacting with for the past few weeks, I figured why not take a test drive of the Diesel Manual version, since I had never driven it. So I went ahead and drove the same and my god, I gotta say, it was amazing. Agreed its Diesel, its manual, but the power and surge (I have always had diesel cars) was way better than the petrol (obviously).

I then decided to drive the Petrol DCT again, and I must say, this time I actually tried to notice the drive more intently along with the gearbox shifting. I felt, personally, that there is a problem here with the gearbox. When you suddenly brake, lets say from a speed of 50 km/hr to 25 30 km/hr, and try to accelerate again, the gearbox takes around 5 seconds to respond before actually picking up. The harder you brake and try to accelerate again, the slower it picks up. And I tried this multiple times on my trip with the same result. And god help you if you suddenly brake & try to accelerate while going up on a flyover, takes forever to shift.
Now I've driven the DSG in the Skoda cars and the DCT in the Venue (although I know Venue is not the best comparison as its a much smaller and lighter car), but there is a stark difference here. The Manager at the showroom told me that since this is an in-house version, there are differences in performance. I know this is not known to be a driver's car but when I asked the Manager at the showroom, he kinda admitted that this is a problem in the DCT box.

The second issue I saw and heard about the DCT is the mileage. I saw on the test drive car, and it was showing 6.3 km/l. When I again asked the Manager of the showroom, he again admitted that this is also an issue. At best he was like you may get 7-8 km/l. I know its a big and heavy car, but I would have figured around 9-10 should be a "decent" range. But again, this depends on what the running of the car is.
FYI, the Diesel from my experience was giving around 11-12. This was seconded by the staff at the dealership as well.

So in the end, right now, I have put my delivery on hold until I can further decide if I want to either switch to the Diesel Manual, or just cancel the booking altogether and wait for next year, wherein they might be upgrading the DCT box to BS6, which, as per the Manager said, might get changes in performance as well.

Again, this was my decision to hold according to my experience. I hope this can help others also in deciding and maybe, just maybe taking a second look at the Petrol DCT version.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd August 2019 at 09:49. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks
TkyoPandaMan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 09:43   #1693
BHPian

Has anyone here taken a test drive late evening or at night time? Have a couple of questions here:
1. Is the glare of the screen too much of a distraction to drive? Heard a few folks mention this in earlier posts.
2. How is the throw of the led headlights?
I have requested for a late evening drive. Yet to hear back from the SA though.
GearHeadGarage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 10:09   #1694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I too requested GTO on Saturday, they are testing and will take about 2 months.
2 Months?!
Please say you meant to type 2 weeks...

Although 2 months would actually give a superb review of reliability and ageing characteristics of the car which are the biggest thing people want. Nowhere else but TBHP will we get these details unadulterated.

I'd request the mods in that case to release a review sooner & then follow up with a long term update.

Last edited by Reinhard : 20th August 2019 at 10:15.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 11:09   #1695
Senior - BHPian

Reinhard, I have heard mixed feedback from my closed circle about the clutch play and gear box for diesel vehicles. I like our official reviews because they of the micro management approach, nothing goes escaped. I have some difference of opinion with the test drives.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks