Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2019, 11:20   #1696
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkyoPandaMan View Post
Wow, thanks AGwagon for that detailed post. Sometimes I feel the longer the posts are, just means more information and that's always good! Well, here comes my version of the "long" post.
Yes "long" posts do help. Thank you for sharing your experience and response. However, as an outsider after reading your report I somehow felt that the Sales Manager admitting to these issues (which by the way are no way accepted or documented by the company) is highly suspect. Also him commenting on again an upgrade of the DCT with the BS6 again seems very odd. There have been many instances where the dealers are trying to make an extra buck by passing these early deliveries along, could that be his agenda? I guess we won't know.

I did take on three instances quite long test drives and 2 of them in night. I do agree that the gearbox feels more like a TC rather than a DCT, and I really didn't try the 'sharp braking and sudden acceleration' test, but to my mind it served the purpose and the overall big soft SUV vibe. Also, I would be very surprised if you could have both 'efficiency' and 'quick changes & acceleration', or rather if you have the good DCT more often than not your driving mannerism would be such where your mileage will be compromised (don't know if I am making sense to you or not! )

I test drove the turbo manual in Seltos as well, and again the lag was pronounced and the demeanour was again relaxed. I haven't got a chance to sample the DCT in Seltos though.

While I would prefer good driving dynamics and a responsive gearbox, I would not like to have it at the expense of running cost and comfort on my daily. I know given the size of Hector, one will have to drive it with a light foot to extract decent efficiency, and with (a light foot), the gear changes and experience is very smooth and easy to live with. For some days of spirited driving, we always have the manual mode to gulp that fuel.

On all of my test runs I had driven more than 10kms and always reset the trip. All of these were done in peak traffic timings around very congested North-West Delhi with 4-5 adults in the car. All the instances the MID showed more than 11kmpl. So I would expect with a light foot in my daily 35km ring road drive from Delhi to GGN (one way), I should be able to manage 9-10kmpl, which is fine by me. Please do not go by the average on these TD cars, as these would understandably be low. If you are interested, please go on another long TD of the DCT and reset the trip this time.

My dealer has already agreed to give me the car on this Saturday for a couple of hours, you are most welcome to join if you want. Unfortunately for my commute manual is just not an option and while I have owned many diesels now (currently also daily one), I am highly skeptical of their long-term benefit over the petrol, even if they compare on mileage 9Vs11 kmpl on a diesel.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd August 2019 at 09:45. Reason: Minor typos
AGwagon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 12:57   #1697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadGarage View Post
Has anyone here taken a test drive late evening or at night time? Have a couple of questions here:
1. Is the glare of the screen too much of a distraction to drive? Heard a few folks mention this in earlier posts.
2. How is the throw of the led headlights?
I have requested for a late evening drive. Yet to hear back from the SA though.
I have done a couple of TDs of the DCT in night, and here is my take:

1. The glare didn't bother me at all. There is also an option to dim it and use a darker (grey) theme. Maps in any case already have a dark mode to avoid the glare.

2. The LED lights I frankly thought could have been better for low-beams. However, with the fogs they were fine. I feel it is also due to their placement which is considerably lower than your position. I also have tried on a regular basis my dzire ZXI+ all LED headlamp setup, which I found to be better than the Hector's.

I hope it helps.
AGwagon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 19:14   #1698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Reinhard, I have heard mixed feedback from my closed circle about the clutch play and gear box for diesel vehicles. I like our official reviews because they of the micro management approach, nothing goes escaped. I have some difference of opinion with the test drives.
Can you elaborate on those issues? It'll help with the decision making.
Old 21st August 2019, 11:43   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd7 View Post
Hey guys.
I have bought one of the earliest hectors on the forum and till now have no niggles or any issues in either the car or the touchscreen. Keeping fingers crossed and hope that they are no problems arise.

I am not able to post any review or photographs as the car is driven by my father and I study in a college in a different city.

The car has done about 250 kms and the most positive thing about the car is the comfort and the NVH of the petrol. There is a definite lag lower down but there is a surge of power as soon as you cross 2000 rpm.
Hey if memory serves me right you had taken a Black Hybrid right? I understand you may not have access to pics or a first hand driving experience, but it would be helpful if you could perhaps ask your father for his initial thoughts on the things he like, dislike, or things that he feels could have been better. Also any idea on the mileage that he is getting in what sort of driving conditions would also be extremely helpful.
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 18:09   #1700
BHPian

Just received a call from MG's dealer stating that,

There is a large delivery backlog, and whoever booked the Hector:
1. MG decided to credit 1000 points per week, from the booking date till the delivery date.
2. Each point is equivalent to Rs. 1
3. Customer will be able to redeem these points on delivery for accessories or services
4. MG will sponsor education for 4 girls (as part of CSR?)

They have my interest-free booking deposit (solves their finance issues partly), and can also be looked at another way of provide incentive to retain interest in the vehicle and booking amount longer without significant resistance from customers I guess.
Pulse500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 20:21   #1701
Distinguished - BHPian

Another MG Hector breakdown, this time reported from Hyderabad

Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 20:29   #1702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Could be that the car ran out of gas. Potential MG Hector buyers are already worried about the delay in delivery of car and now they are getting increasingly worried about the number of reported car breakdowns. I am sure everyone is thinking of China, when we hear or see such incidents.
MukundanMK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 20:34   #1703
BHPian

Quote:
Was this recorded by you? How do you know its a breakdown? Can you share more details (if any)
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 21:08   #1704
Distinguished - BHPian

No, it hasn't been recorded by me. Could be a case of car running out of Gas, but that would be extremely stupid.

The only reason why I think its a breakdown is because the fellow is seen trying to push it. Secondly, haven't we seen numerous such cases of Hectors breaking down? This can be a similar case.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 21:23   #1705
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
Could be that the car ran out of gas. Potential MG Hector buyers are already worried about the delay in delivery of car and now they are getting increasingly worried about the number of reported car breakdowns. I am sure everyone is thinking of China, when we hear or see such incidents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Was this recorded by you? How do you know its a breakdown? Can you share more details (if any)
It can be seen in the video that a person(near rear right tail lamp) is trying to push the car, in case of running out of gas any person in general would park the car aside and bring the fuel. It can be anything(possibly breakdown) but running out of gas.
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 21:37   #1706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
The whole confusion of BS4 and 6 itself is unnecessary. If you are looking for a diesel car (for better torque than the available petrol options) this is the best time to buy esp during early 2020 for huge discounts. Post 2020 all diesel cars will be expensive to buy and even the running cost will be high due to the adblue. For the same reason, most probably the BS4 engines will fetch more in the used market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Does buying a BS4 or BS6 make any difference? I would any day get a BS4 diesel as it will be cheaper to buy and maintain without any of the complexities of DPF, SCR, Urea stuff, etc. I don't think any one should delay a purchase just for getting a BS6! There will be a rush in January to March 2020 to get those last BS4 cars, better buy the cars now itself.
It might be alright currently. However, with rapidly rising pollution, it is possible non BS6 diesel vehicles are banned in some cities down the road. Like the 10 plus year diesel ban in Delhi, a future rule could ban non BS6 vehicles over say 7 year old.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:02   #1707
BHPian

Quote:
The car doesn't have number plates, not even temps., so the car should definitely be a pre-delivery. However, none of the 2 gentlemen seems like showroom folks. Also wouldn't the showroom cars even have some number plates at least?

Or could this be a car being transported for delivery from the yard to the showroom? I wish someone has a video who can atleast talking to one of these gents to understand the problem!
Old 22nd August 2019, 13:50   #1708
Distinguished - BHPian

MG India's new rewards initiative awards customers waiting for the Hector.

MG's 'Worth Waiting For' scheme, customers who booked the Hector and are waiting for delivery will be awarded points that can be redeemed for accessories and maintenance packages.

Quote:
Under the scheme, 1,000 points are awarded to customers for every additional week they wait for their MG Hector. These points can be redeemed at any of the 120 MG dealerships set up across India for the brand’s range of accessories and for prepaid maintenance packages. All the accessories available for the MG Hector come with a one year/20,000km warranty

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 14:01   #1709
BHPian

I admit it is , but very relevant for many who have been in the same boat as me (holds bookings of Hector and Seltos both)

So like to like (in each variant) the 1.4 Turbo in Seltos will prove to be slightly more costlier than 1.5 Turbo in Hector. Plus, all the discussion on Mileage for Seltos (Hyundai's real world experience), also does not give any advantage to Seltos here. Also only a 3yr Vs 5 yr unlimited warranty in Hector. Add to that a much bigger and spacious car.
Thus, IMO Hector has a much better VFM.

On the Diesel front, Seltos is considerably cheaper (but for a much smaller engine 1.5Vs 2.0), and also offers an Auto. However, it does miss out on some of the goodies that are only there in the GT line. Still, I believe Diesel Seltos can still be a viable alternative.

In a nutshell, will be cancelling my Seltos GTX+ DCT booking today.
AGwagon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 14:45   #1710
BHPian

Segment has indeed become hot with competition. With Diesel BS6 breaking ground in the Seltos.

Hector may now get opportunity to re-open bookings!

Talking about heat, who needs Sunfilms

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img_20190822_144008.jpg
Moto$apien is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks