Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2019, 16:50   #166
Team-BHP Support

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Pricing will be the key for Hector's success. I would pick up on if it comes under 15 L on road.
15L onroad?

Many sub-4m SUVs breach that these days in Bangalore. Is tax so less there?

Realistically - Expect Hector to be priced against Harrier, but with a lot more equipment thrown in.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 4th April 2019 at 00:27. Reason: Typo
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 17:02   #167
Senior - BHPian

Baojun 530
Wuling Almaz
MG Hector
Chevy Captiva

Exact same vehicle except different logos and some cosmetic bits. MG Motor India will have to really price it very aggressively to make a dent in the Indian SUV market else this might end up the Renault Captur way.
fx45 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 17:14   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pricing will be the key for Hector's success. I would pick up on if it comes under 15 L on road.
I doubt if terrific pricing would be of any help. Brand is unknown to the mass, Reliability, A.S.S is a big question mark and the car as such doesnot look out of the world. Even if priced at 10lac price tag a potential buyer will think ten times before investing. To me MG is gambling big time in India.
Old 29th March 2019, 18:08   #169
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: MG Hector to get a petrol-hybrid option

According to a media report, MG is likely to offer a petrol-hybrid version of the Hector SUV. It is expected to use a 48V mild-hybrid system.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-hector-hybrid.jpg

The Hector hybrid is expected to use a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine that produces 141 BHP and 250 Nm of torque. It will reportedly have 20 Nm of additional torque at low speeds courtesy of the 48V system. The system is expected to reduce turbo lag and improve low speed driveability. The hybrid version is also expected to get features such as regenerative braking and an automatic engine start-stop system. The SUV is rumoured to be 12% more fuel efficient than the petrol version.

The MG Hector is also expected to get a Fiat-sourced 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine option. This is the same engine that powers the Jeep Compass. It produces 171 BHP and 350 Nm of peak torque.

If launched, the Hector hybrid will be the first 48V mild hybrid offering in the mass-market.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 20:01   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour: MG Hector to get a petrol-hybrid option

Wow. Two Hybrid news items in one day. Just came off commenting on the Jazz Hybrid thread(Edit: Looks like spoke to soon there, not expected in India ). Sounds pretty interesting. Considering hybrid systems are currently available only in the premium segments, really interested to know how these would be priced and the premium it would command.

Although there is a lot of talk about going the EV way, while we go down that path, I believe Hybrids will plan an important role. Good to see it start to trickle down to mass market.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 29th March 2019 at 20:04.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 21:07   #171
BHPian

Re: Rumour: MG Hector to get a petrol-hybrid option

Hybrid option in this segment is a good(pioneering) move - Looks like MG is leveraging its expertise in china to get a head start in India.

Btwn, What is it with Autocar and MG -> A new scoop on MG everyday ?

IMO, this could very well be a paid service. Controlled leak of information to keep the buzz alive.

Maybe, they'd would shock with pricing as well. Speculated pricing as per Autocar is 15-20 Lakhs. I won't be surprised if the (introductory) ex-showroom price @ 11.99 Lakh. That way customer would believe they've got a bargain.
vaasscit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 14:48   #172
BHPian

I have been following the rebadged versions on youtube and blogs and it seems like they also have 2 interior options primarily one with the floating tablet design smaller screen and the other large portrait style screen flanked in the centre of the dash. They indeed started with the first floating design one which was launched almost 2 years ago in China, but albeit the new rebadged Captiva that was just showcased in an autoshow, all new avatars are with the large portrait tablet style screen with updated interiors.

What I take away from this is that Hector definitely offers a substantially different interior and some creature comforts which are there only at least 2 segments above, and thus as long as it looks good (which is subjective, but I feel it does) and feels premium in real life (again looking at the videos, although language is a barrier it seems OK for the price point), it will drive sales from the VFM consumers who are not very brand conscious. We have many new entrants cars (XUV500, new segment for M&M when it was launched and a totally new product, but despite a long list of niggles it did well because of the VFM factor and the effort that M&M put in A.S.S. and customer service, similarly now we have Harrier, which again have solid underpinnings but a new product nevertheless)

Agreed that MG will really need to work on the A.S.S. , customer service and brand building to make it a roaring success like XUV but given the commitment with which they are entering India and backed by the giant such as SAIC, I do think it should be possible.

Before anyone gives me hate on comparing Hector launch with Harrier and XUV, please go through my garage and you would see I have always been the one to take the first plunge on VFM options that seems to me a solid product from both our Indian Auto OEs.

Besides India is a cost conscious country and that is true for cars, phones, everything as to many young Indians on this forum especially living in large cities, this segment or price bracket can no longer be described as luxury (IMO now starts from 30L+), and therefore for MG I feel that the Chinese lineage will only not work if they price it wrong and try and position it at a larger premium to Harrier or XUV. If they nail the pricing and keep working to build the network and customer engagement and service, I do feel it will get a warm welcome in India. Look what has OnePlus slowly achieved, it is now difficult to bracket it in the same "Chinese hai" that most other smartphones are.

I think its now a couple of months at most when they will launch, lets hope they do not end up like another Fiat / Jeep / Nissan in India and are able to adapt quickly and effectively to early response from the Indian market.

I should also say that I am very keenly looking to replace my XUV, so squarely in this market for an automatic sub 25L premium car / SUV.
AGwagon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 15:13   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Surely, it is going to be impossible for the Hector to be priced at this range given its target segment and configuration. That price wishlist would mean competing against the Duster Diesel's top-end model!

And I would think, Hector (with the MG/Brit lineage), may not want to cut too deep to start with its pricing.
It will need to be bold in its pricing but not so much, as to dent its perception forever.

Hector may have a Chinese parent, but except for the parentage, everything else (seen so far) seems quite far from what we know of a typical Chinese product.
Old 30th March 2019, 15:39   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Brand is unknown to the mass
And yet, they are doing an INCREDIBLE job in marketing.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_201903301530402.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_201903301532202.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 15:47   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
I should also say that I am very keenly looking to replace my XUV, so squarely in this market for an automatic sub 25L premium car / SUV.
I'm also in the market for an automatic around 25L, compass is too small and without an auto box, tucson doesnt have enough ground clearance and pricy, harrier is under powered and no auto box here as well, crysta is a van with low ground clearance (even though I love that product) and now I hear that just like the compass and harrier, the hector is also not going to be launched with an auto box. For me no automatic = no buy.
Old 30th March 2019, 16:20   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I'm also in the market for an automatic around 25L, compass is too small and without an auto box, tucson doesnt have enough ground clearance and pricy, harrier is under powered and no auto box here as well, crysta is a van with low ground clearance (even though I love that product) and now I hear that just like the compass and harrier, the hector is also not going to be launched with an auto box. For me no automatic = no buy.
You just read my mind. I'm looking for the same kind of product. Need a butch SUV with diesel Auto. No automatic = no buy.
I have become really irritated with the available options in the current car market. There is always some thing or the other, or some features or the other the companies keep holding back. When the product loses sales momentum they introduce that feature with a new variant or a face-lift. This is what happens when Marketing people get involved with sales.
deepjaju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 13:49   #177
BHPian

Just saw the drive.in live event of MG in Facebook live video.
Things that are confirmed:
Most connected car in India as of now. Remote app access to car features such as remote door lock-unlock, window roll down-roll up(+sunroof), remote AC start for ventilation, Smart Maps Navigation, Gaana premium membership is free for music streaming, Embedded sim data is free for few years, Emergency assist, and some more as soon in their website as i-smart.
Powered tailgate is confirmed
Hybrid is confirmed

Last edited by deepjaju : 2nd April 2019 at 13:52.
deepjaju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 15:28   #178
BHPian

Most clear look at the Indian MG Hector

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-capture2.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-capture.png

Quote:
The Hector gets LED headlights mounted low in the front bumper, with slim LED daytime running lights on top, flanking the chrome-encased mesh grille that wears a big MG badge. Completing the look are faux skid plates front and rear, diamond-cut alloy wheels, a split roof spoiler and a light bar that connects the Hector’s tail-lamps. All in, the Hector has an imposing front-end, but has an oversized rear overhang and wheels that look a tad too small. The MG Hector’s engine options will include a 1.5-litre, 143hp turbo-petrol, and a 2.0-litre, FCA-sourced diesel. While a six-speed manual will be available with both engines, the turbo-petrol will also get the option of a six-speed, dual-clutch automatic gearbox. Also on offer will be a 48-volt mild-hybrid variant of the Hector, said to be 12 per cent more fuel-efficient than the petrol variant.
Expected to be present on the MG Hector’s features list are a 360-degree camera, a Harman Infinity audio system, a six-way power adjustable driver’s seat, push-button start, keyless entry, cruise control and a tyre pressure monitoring system, among others.
Source

Last edited by amrutmhatre90 : 2nd April 2019 at 15:30.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 15:38   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Powered tailgate is confirmed
Hybrid is confirmed
No diesel automatic, guess I'll have to settle with Crysta :(
Old 2nd April 2019, 16:22   #180
Senior - BHPian

MG Hector Infortainment system details. They call it I-SMART system.

RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks