Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2019, 07:20   #1816
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

A friend of mine is a prospective customer for this car but heard from some little birdies in SAIC or somewhere that SAIC is facing quality and production issues. This is the reason why they have stopped bookings. Can anyone confirm if this is? Apparently the Chinese version too had similar feedbacks and did not sell that we'll in China.
Carma2017 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 08:27   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
A friend of mine is a prospective customer for this car but heard from some little birdies in SAIC or somewhere that SAIC is facing quality and production issues. This is the reason why they have stopped bookings. Can anyone confirm if this is? Apparently the Chinese version too had similar feedbacks and did not sell that we'll in China.
I doubt that. They're facing production issues , as far as the numbers is concerned.

Quality issues might crop up later, as they push their plant and workers for maximum output.
Old 8th September 2019, 02:36   #1818
BHPian

Hey all,

Has anyone test driven (or own) the Diesel Manual variant yet ? Would like to know more about the drive, gear shifting, NVH levels, fuel economy and any other points.
Old 8th September 2019, 06:48   #1819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkyoPandaMan View Post
Hey all,

Has anyone test driven (or own) the Diesel Manual variant yet ? Would like to know more about the drive, gear shifting, NVH levels, fuel economy and any other points.
I've tested the Diesel manual although it was a short drive. I liked the seating position and the steering felt nice in my hands. Didn't have the time to test it at high speeds. The gear shifts are slicker on the Seltos but it's not much of a deal breaker. Might be an issue in stop gap Delhi traffic. The Fiat fuel guzzler is more than adequate and I didn't feel the SUV being underpowered. The only issue I could see was I had to keep alternating between first and second gear in Delhi traffic as low end torque is a bit inadequate. Once I hit the open road, the engine pulls with ease.

The NVH levels are decent but the Seltos is a lot quieter. The touchscreen is pretty cool , albeit a bit laggy at times. It didn't recognise my commands at times, forcing me to fiddle with the screen while driving. The all black interiors make it pretty classy and the panoramic sunroof makes the cabin feel airy.

I never bothered to check the fuel economy. However, I'm going to take another test drive today so I can check the same.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 16:39   #1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Congratulations. What are the handling charges disguised as? I checked the S Cross price list and there was no mention of any handling charges specifically. There was a basic kit and three years insurance that was included in the total which I deleted from my calculations.
The worst part is, it was not disguised at all
So I knew the amount and managed to get it waived off.
Old 8th September 2019, 19:37   #1821
Senior - BHPian

MG will produce 3000 units in September

Quote:
We will be producing 3,000 units of Hector in September and then stabilise it at that level for a couple of months," Rajeev Chaba, President and Managing Director, MG Motor India said.When asked about the possibility of re-opening bookings during the festive season, Chaba replied: 'That might happen,'" added Chaba.
MG had 28000 bookings and as per the latest update I got today, 16000 on waitlist.

I really don't know how they'll be able to deliver their cars without making people wait for a really long time. They just didn't expect such a demand.

Also, I took a test drive of the Diesel variant of the Hector today. Loved everything, except two major things.

1 The touchscreen isn't all that responsive after heavy usage. The test drive vehicle had clocked 3896 KMs and had been roughed up by the looks of it. The screen was laggy, and it doesn't obey all voice commands.

2. The Sunroof was squealing and squeaking as i commanded it to open! Was really evident. Not a minor squeak. The SA was quick to say that it needs greasing as it's been opened and closed a lot...but still. It just shouldn't squeak.

Another thing I noticed. The trip A was showing 434 KMs and the mileage displayed was 15 kmpl. Strange.

I thought the Diesel would return much less in City traffic. This was MG at Safdarjung, Delhi. Does the Diesel really give such good figures?

Source

Last edited by coolkurt : 8th September 2019 at 19:39.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 20:46   #1822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadGarage View Post
I am taking delivery of my white DCT next week. Still holding off from the payment just in case the GST reduces Debadging and blacking out the front and rear bumper skid plates would be my first priority. I wanted to make some slight modification to the tire size as well. No intention to go R18. But I was looking at 235/65R17. IIRC the harrier has that size. But looking at your chart that is not a recommended size. Next closest is 235/60R17.
Hi GearHeadGarage,

When it comes to tire upsizing, It is not recommended to increase the diameter or circumference of the tires by more than 2%. The reason for the same is that you will have problems with your speedometer reading and may have some issues with the suspension components in the future. However, there a lot of people who still do it. Please note that I do not know values such as fender clearance, wheel wells clearance, suspension clearance and scrub radius for MG Hector to make the exact judgment.

I used these two links to show you the below comparison pictures for the upsize that you are considering:

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...cl=30mm&sr=0mm

Best regards,
Yaseen
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-tyre-upgrade-pic-2.png  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-tyre-upgrade-pic.png  

Last edited by yaseenar : 9th September 2019 at 20:50.
yaseenar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 07:22   #1823
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Yes it does seem like it. This is of course with an extremely bad B2B traffic. I must say I am very thankful to the GM sales for allowing me this opportunity to test a fairly in-demand vehicle like this. But, this again puts me at square one .
A senior colleague at the hospital took delivery of his DCT Hector 2 weeks back and is already frustrated with the FE. Says it is delivering only 5-6 kmpl while the SA had convinced him that it would give 11-12 kmpl. This guy travels from Delhi to Gurgaon too and the Hector replaced his Mercedes GLA since the latter was proving to be too costly for him to maintain in terms of servicing cost.

Last edited by drmohitg : 10th September 2019 at 07:51.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 07:44   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
A senior colleague at the hospital took delivery of his DCT Seltos 2 weeks back and is already frustrated with the FE. Says it is delivering only 5-6 kmpl while the SA had convinced him that it would give 11-12 kmpl. This guy travels from Delhi to Gurgaon too and the Hector replaced his Mercedes GLA since the latter was proving to be too costly for him to maintain in terms of servicing cost.

Seltos or hector ? Or does this guy bought both ?
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 07:53   #1825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Seltos or hector ? Or does this guy bought both ?
Sorry my bad. Edited the post accordingly. He has bought the MG Hector DCT. Since I am myself contemplating buying the Seltos, that is what is ruling the conscious.
Old 10th September 2019, 08:42   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
A senior colleague at the hospital took delivery of his DCT Hector 2 weeks back and is already frustrated with the FE. Says it is delivering only 5-6 kmpl while the SA had convinced him that it would give 11-12 kmpl. This guy travels from Delhi to Gurgaon too and the Hector replaced his Mercedes GLA since the latter was proving to be too costly for him to maintain in terms of servicing cost.
Expecting anything more than 5-6 kmpl in peak city traffic in such a huge car is simply day dreaming. For reference, the i20 CVT manages a similar figure.

Even my Ford Figo Diesel delivers hardly 10-11 kmpl in peak city traffic. I am surprised people go by the figures the sales persons quote.

Would suggest you get the Seltos Diesel AT even if you are allowed to use it only for 10 years.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 10th September 2019 at 08:53.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 08:43   #1827
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. The GM thankfully was super helpful and saved me from a big disaster. With a heavy heart therefore I have cancelled the booking of Hector and looking forward to a TD of Seltos Diesel AT. I guess no matter how much I wanted to avoid a Diesel this time, for my kind of daily 70km B2B run, I have no choice but an automatic + diesel only if I don't wish to spend a fortune on fuel.

I am sure his GLA in fuel would have been significantly cheaper than the Hector. I am sure the Hector DCT sales are going to take a massive hit within next 30-45 days. All 3 people in my office only have cancelled their bookings.
AGwagon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 08:55   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry my bad. Edited the post accordingly. He has bought the MG Hector DCT. Since I am myself contemplating buying the Seltos, that is what is ruling the conscious.

Well to be frank, I don't really expect much better average from the Seltos either. I think in NCR driving conditions even that would probably give around 8-9. Better than Hector, sure, but it's a smaller car too.
Old 10th September 2019, 09:01   #1829
Senior - BHPian

This is the reason Harrier has a de-tuned engine, good for mileage. The Harrier TD vehicle was showing 11KMPL, while MG was showing 8 KMPL. End of the day, customer expects mileage they can live with.

Quote:
is already frustrated with the FE. Says it is delivering only 5-6 kmpl while the SA had convinced him that it would give 11-12 kmpl.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 09:22   #1830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
This is the reason Harrier has a de-tuned engine, good for mileage. The Harrier TD vehicle was showing 11KMPL, while MG was showing 8 KMPL. End of the day, customer expects mileage they can live with.

Are you talking about the diesel MT Hectors ?They give 8 KMPL ? The post you have quoted is about the petrol DCTs.

I don't know how people can believe 11 kmpl mileage for a 1.6 tonner petrol automatic. Even 900kg Grand i10 cannot go beyond 10kmpl in city conditions. The SA's are doing a damn good job convincing people to believe that stuff. They have a great future in politics.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks