Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2019, 09:46   #1831
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Saw it in flesh.. Huge Road presence.. !

This should be a great alternative for the prospective Mahindra/TATA buyers.
BUXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 09:53   #1832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post
I used these two links to show you the below comparison pictures for the upsize that you are considering:

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...cl=30mm&sr=0mm

Best regards,
Yaseen
Thanks, I did go through them all. Have decided against changing the stock setup for now.

With my delivery of DCT due in 2 days, I do not expect anything more than 7 in B2B drive. My Fiesta AT gave me about 9. But I do expect a little more than 10 during highway drives. I have a blr-chikmagalur trip planned in Oct. Will post my observations post that.
Old 10th September 2019, 10:08   #1833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
A senior colleague at the hospital took delivery of his DCT Hector 2 weeks back and is already frustrated with the FE. Says it is delivering only 5-6 kmpl while the SA had convinced him that it would give 11-12 kmpl. This guy travels from Delhi to Gurgaon too and the Hector replaced his Mercedes GLA since the latter was proving to be too costly for him to maintain in terms of servicing cost.
Well the mileage is no surprise. Thats exactly what should be expected from a heavy petrol automatic car. Tell your colleague not to be disappointed and enjoy the good things about the car!

What surprised me actually is a move from a an MB GLA to an MG! The drop in overall driving experience build finesse and finish in the cabin is what must be actually causing him to be hyper-frustrated with the fuel efficiency numbers. From an MB he should have only come down to a Hyundai. If cost of ownership was a concern - buying a brand new brand's 1st car is jumping into an unknown isn't it? A slightly misinformed, instinctive or hasty decision on his part I'd say.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 11:15   #1834
BHPian

Must say they are being very optimistic. Although they are having the similar demand>supply scenario for their eZS in the UK as well. I hope they do well.

At a time when automakers are cutting production and retrenching workers amid plunging sales, new entrant MG Motor India is working overtime to scale up capacity to meet demand for its recently-launched SUV Hector.

MG Motor India president Rajeev Chaba told ET the company has received 28,000 bookings for the Hector, and has an additional 11,000 on the wait list. To meet demand, the company is ramping up capacity by 50% from September and considering to start a second shift from November.

“We had firmed up plans for having a total of 1,000 employees. We are already 1,300 strong, and are in the process of recruiting 300-400 people shortly,” Chaba said.

The company is now in discussions with suppliers to gauge their capability to scale-up operations. A decision to reopen bookings will be taken accordingly, possibly by the middle of October.

Meanwhile, MG Motor India has begun trial production to launch electric vehicle eZS by the end of the year. Two more vehicles will follow in 2020, according to people aware of the matter. The company is likely to steer clear of market leader Maruti Suzuki’s turf and rather focus on SUVs in the initial years, these people said.
Chaba said being a new entrant, MG Motor India is making efforts to set the foundation right. The company aims to sell 200,000 units per annum in five-six years.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/auto/auto-news/mg-motor-seems-to-be-bucking-the-trend-with-hector/articleshow/71057654.cms
AGwagon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 11:57   #1835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Expecting anything more than 5-6 kmpl in peak city traffic in such a huge car is simply day dreaming.

Even my Ford Figo Diesel delivers hardly 10-11 kmpl in peak city traffic. I am surprised people go by the figures the sales persons quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
I guess no matter how much I wanted to avoid a Diesel this time, for my kind of daily 70km B2B run, I have no choice but an automatic + diesel only if I don't wish to spend a fortune on fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Well to be frank, I don't really expect much better average from the Seltos either. I think in NCR driving conditions even that would probably give around 8-9. Better than Hector, sure, but it's a smaller car too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I don't know how people can believe 11 kmpl mileage for a 1.6 tonner petrol automatic. Even 900kg Grand i10 cannot go beyond 10kmpl in city conditions. The SA's are doing a damn good job convincing people to believe that stuff. They have a great future in politics.
Well it goes without saying that the SA are there to sell their products. And even though most buyers fall for their sales pitch, specially because they throw these FE figures across with so much confidence. Another reason is the pointless protocol followed by ARAI as it doesn't make any practical sense even if a person drives exclusively on highways. But most buyers fall prey to the SA's sales pitch when they say that ARAI figure is 16 kmpl but in real world driving you would get 12-13 kmpl. It is here where the buyer feels that the SA is worth trusting upon since he himself has reduced the figure by almost 30%. But never the less it is a buyer's mistake in today's age to no evaluate each and every aspect independently.

Petrol cars fell out of fashion precisely due to poor FE. Add the weight of a SUV combined with an AT box and things would surely go downhill. Diesel AT is the way to go with these big cars. In the same traffic my 320d has always returned 13 kmpl consistently over the years and the Altis diesel with its weaker engine has managed to return 17-18 kmpl. The Ecopsort DCT struggles at 9 kmpl.

Lastly The Hector DCT might lose sales to the Seltos diesel AT. But if the person was considering the only petrol cars, then the Seltos petrol AT wouldn't be much away from these single digit FE figures. And it is here where the Hector would score with its larger cabin, that gigantic screen and the panoramic sunroof.

The need of the hour is diesel and AT combination when it comes to SUVs. I hope all 3 cars start offering that soon enough namely the Hector, Harrier and Compass.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th September 2019 at 13:48. Reason: typo
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 12:37   #1836
Distinguished - BHPian

A question out of pure curiosity. I see 1-2 Hectors a day now a days. Most of the times on the NH48 stretch from Wakad to Chandani Chowk (Kothrud). On this stretch, we always see Fortuner-Endaevor-SafariStorme-Scorpio-XUV500-Creta-Compass et all being driven at insane speeds as if they are in a now or never scenario. Regardless of traffic density.

Yet - the Hectors are always going fairly moderately & never overtake anyone. They seem a bit hesitant to be driving fast or changing lanes too quickly. I'm sure not 100% drivers are always "new" so that won't be a reason for this. Is it down to the power-to-weight ratio? Or the machine doesn't like quick lane changes or fast accelerations much with either of the engines? I'm yet to see a Hector approaching fast in my mirrors. It always vanishes behind me in the distance - this is ONLY in case of the Hector. All others feed me dust on the same stretch.

Or maybe the drivers are busy enjoying the 10" screen?

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th September 2019 at 12:38.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 12:48   #1837
Senior - BHPian

Reason is simple I guess; 'run in period'. New cars are not driven fast nor subject to aggressive maneuvers or overtakes. Indians are quite diligent with their new cars. Just give it time. The Hector I test drove could propel forward like a rocket and I can absolutely assure you that it doesn't lack in the 'power department'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
the Hectors are always going fairly moderately & never overtake anyone. They seem a bit hesitant to be driving fast or changing lanes too quickly. I'm sure not 100% drivers are always "new" so that won't be a reason for this. Is it down to the power-to-weight ratio?
Sebring is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 13:51   #1838
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone here comment on the drive-train of the Petrol Hybrid MT?

I seemed to like it very much apart from two issues - The lag in the throttle response from idle and the motor whine during regen-braking.

Otherwise the engine had good torque, was smooth and seemed to be adequately powered for the size of the vehicle and city driving.

What I want to know is how much of a bump in the fuel economy will the Hybrid system give over the non-Hybrid variant in real world terms?

-For now (on paper) I believe, Hybrid systems like this are the only way Petrol engines can achieve fuel economy figures close to Diesel engines. This system might not be that good, but after driving this version I realized its true potential. Till now it was only a gimmick to me. More so because it was hidden somewhere deeper than the depth of my pockets.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 18:01   #1839
BHPian

Hey all.
As someone who is in the market for a ~16l car, I've tried all the options before deciding on a Seltos. However, I have been very interested in the Hector, and the thing which attracted me in both these cars is the connectivity feature- SOS.

According to the SA at MG, when the car detects airbags being deployed, they ring the cabin. If there is no answer, emergency services are dispatched, and a few contacts that you give before are intimated.

I LOVED this feature, especially after thinking about all those scenes in movies where people lie in the middle of nowhere after a crash, with no connectivity and no one to help them.

However, in this video I came across, it states that even after an hour elapsed after a crash, there was no help whatsoever. Essentially, the feature failed.
(Note: I cannot attest to the validity of this.)

Just wanted to share in case anyone had doubts, like me, regarding the practicality of connected cars. It all looks well in brochures, but what about real world performance? Hope none of us have to find out the hard way. Has anyone who has taken delivery of connected cars faced any similar issue? Personally, it's pretty damn harrowing to hear about.
HK. Oby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 18:36   #1840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK. Oby View Post
However, in this video I came across, it states that even after an hour elapsed after a crash, there was no help whatsoever. Essentially, the feature failed.
(Note: I cannot attest to the validity of this.)
The one absolute must thing required for this feature work - is cellular signal connectivity from the vendor that has provided the eSIM. No network = the car won't be able to dial the helpline. If the helpline doesn't get the "alert" ticket, their support team won't call the emergency services. This might well have been the scenario & in our vast country there are still large swathes of land without mobile network signals. (Though shrinking quite fast.)

Also - it indeed needs to be seen whether it works properly in our low margin market of everything. Maintaining that staff 24x7 for emergency service connect via some call center outsourcing will need money & needs to see how those 2-3 vendor partnerships together with MG, Vodafone-Idea et al work out in the long run.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 19:26   #1841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The one absolute must thing required for this feature work - is cellular signal connectivity from the vendor that has provided the eSIM. No network = the car won't be able to dial the helpline. If the helpline doesn't get the "alert" ticket, their support team won't call the emergency services. This might well have been the scenario & in our vast country there are still large swathes of land without mobile network signals. (Though shrinking quite fast.).
Ah, makes sense. I guess it's too much to hope for satellite services.

One other tidbit I forgot to mention: after watching a movie in the infamous Fast and Furios franchise where a hacker hacks into a building full of connected cars to make them move forward and crash into a convoy, I was concerned about what would be the plight of a customer in case something similar happens. On prodding for five minutes, it was revealed that if a car is stolen due to compromised software, it might not be covered in warranty.

Buyers should probably confirm this, as it feels important.
HK. Oby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 19:32   #1842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post

That's an extremely accurate statement Car indeed feels similar to our Desi players in many ways!

Saw one parked at a nearby mall! Looks expensive to put it in a simple way.
Old 10th September 2019, 20:16   #1843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post

Indeed it's a car which you can't just ignore!
Yesterday, there was a Hector just ahead of us and my mother thought it's an Audi
The car does look expensive.
Nazaar25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 20:43   #1844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Petrol cars fell out of fashion precisely due to poor FE. Add the weight of a SUV combined with an AT box and things would surely go downhill. Diesel AT is the way to go with these big cars. In the same traffic my 320d has always returned 13 kmpl consistently over the years and the Altis diesel with its weaker engine has managed to return 17-18 kmpl. The Ecopsort DCT struggles at 9 kmpl.
I'm still struggling to make myself believe that a car the size of the Seltos is worth 18 lakhs on road. So I'm back to considering the Hector. What I want to see is how the Diesel MT fares in city Conditions. A mileage of 12 is what I expect in city driving conditions.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 08:14   #1845
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I'm still struggling to make myself believe that a car the size of the Seltos is worth 18 lakhs on road. So I'm back to considering the Hector. What I want to see is how the Diesel MT fares in city Conditions. A mileage of 12 is what I expect in city driving conditions.
That is so true! It’s like the VW GT with their regular engines.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks