Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2019, 21:48   #1921
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
So the drive was an interesting one. From Le Meridian to Mayur Vihar in day time with regular traffic on flyovers and narrow roads traffic.

The SA I know got 17kmpl tankful-tankful and the winner got 23kmpl! Strangely the MID showed lower than tankful-tankful method.

Mostly they drove under 2k rpm and max speed ~70kmph
Curious to know how was this done?

Did the MGs start off with zero petrol in them?

Did MG offer 1 litre of petrol to everyone?

Did they drive till the car would go no more?

Very curious on this!
JayKis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 09:03   #1922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
Curious to know how was this done?

Did the MGs start off with zero petrol in them?

Did MG offer 1 litre of petrol to everyone?

Did they drive till the car would go no more?

Very curious on this!

From what I know, they filled their thanks till cutoff, then drove from Le Meridian gurgaon to Mayur Vihar and back to Le Meridian. Then everyone went to petrol pump and filled petrol till tankfull auto cutoff.

That got them to number of litres of petrol used.d

So distance covered/petrol litres used = mileage.
dhruvwali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:44   #1923
BHPian

I honestly would like to congratulate customers who bought the Hector as buying a new car is just a great feeling. If you are sensitive about the Hector than I recommend you do not read this section. Sorry to those who have to read this rant.

I live in China and often travel by different cars. I would like to say that despite few comments that claim that the Hector is not a Chinese product, it really is. It is rare to see the Baojun 530 here in China and it's even considered here to be a unreliable car with not many sales. My dad and I get furious whenever any automobile journalist claim it is a British car because it is not! The car is near identical to the Baojun 530 and the only change I believe they made to the interiors is the tablet-like touchscreen infotainment system; about the Tesla-like touchscreen, it is becoming a common trend in China and SAIC is just following other Chinese companies like Roewe who incorporate the large touch screen into cars like the RX5 and the Marvel X. I would just like to say that if you are considering buying a Hector do not believe that it is a British car as it is completely a Chinese product. My dad and I are not a fan of how MG has been fooling Indian customers and have discarded the Hector from our shortlist of our next car. We are seriously considering the Harrier despite its reported shortcoming. We took a test drive of the Harrier and absolutely loved the car and did not notice any quirks other than the ergonomic flaws. And lastly, anyone else noticing how a lot of automobile journalists other than a select few make claims that suggest the Harrier is better than the Hector in driveability, looks and quality (debatable) but always end up choosing the Hector as the better car. Sorry for the rant but I couldn't hold my opinion in any longer.
fastturtle10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:14   #1924
BHPian

OD, SUV comparo, please. Surprisingly MG did better than I had expected, it is not really suppose to do much off-road. Albeit, it is the torquey Diesel manual.

However, did not expect that Harrier performed quite ordinarily.

You can read the entire article here, in greater detail http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/f...st-conclusion/

AGwagon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:59   #1925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
OD, SUV comparo, please. Surprisingly MG did better than I had expected, it is not really suppose to do much off-road. Albeit, it is the torquey Diesel manual.

However, did not expect that Harrier performed quite ordinarily.
I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. I'm not sure on what basis they did this comparo because all those SUVs are quite different. Plus on the features front, the Seltos supposedly scores better than the X5 and XC90 and Endy! How though I simply do not understand. The only criteria I could find believable was the off-roading part. That's it.
Old 23rd September 2019, 12:26   #1926
BHPian

Quote:
So the drive was an interesting one. From Le Meridian to Mayur Vihar in day time with regular traffic on flyovers and narrow roads traffic.

The SA I know got 17kmpl tankful-tankful and the winner got 23kmpl! Strangely the MID showed lower than tankful-tankful method.

Mostly they drove under 2k rpm and max speed ~70kmph
I have my doubts on these figures. MG doesn't have a single post about this drive on their facebook page. If this is true, they should have posted this on their page, where many of DCT customers are complaining about low mileage.

Last edited by Sreejith V : 23rd September 2019 at 12:32.
Sreejith V is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 20:11   #1927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreejith V View Post
I have my doubts on these figures. MG doesn't have a single post about this drive on their facebook page. If this is true, they should have posted this on their page, where many of DCT customers are complaining about low mileage.
True, it wouldn't be prudent to expect more than 8-9kmpl max on avg for this car.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:12   #1928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
This comparison was laughable. How can you compare a luxury SUV with an entry level one ? It was just too random to make any sense. I don't really get these comparos. Some leave out all the options, others do such a wide band comparo.
Old 24th September 2019, 07:39   #1929
BHPian

Quote:
Agree, I expect 8-9kmpl for my daily drive as good enough figures (45km each day with 20kms in office hour traffic)
If you don't mind me asking, if your daily running is so high, why did you opt for the petrol and not diesel? The diesel is not a road burner, esp considering the weight but it'll easily return 12-13 the city, and above 18 on he highway. I know because I've seen the mileage figures of a diesel hector owner I know, in my city.
Old 24th September 2019, 08:32   #1930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
If you don't mind me asking, if your daily running is so high, why did you opt for the petrol and not diesel? The diesel is not a road burner, esp considering the weight but it'll easily return 12-13 the city, and above 18 on he highway. I know because I've seen the mileage figures of a diesel hector owner I know, in my city.
Because I drive in Delhi NCR and wanted an automatic. Mileage doesn't worry me too much for this car.
dhruvwali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 10:33   #1931
BHPian

I am really looking forward to see some ownership threads on Hector. Till now, it is only queries, intrigues, expectations, criticisms, appreciations, apprehensions and whole gamut of expressions. But the full review and ownership experiences are missing yet.

Seriously looking to read how Hector is performing in real world situation in India.
K.grg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 17:09   #1932
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Hector to re-open bookings from October 01st , deliveries for the newly booked cars will only begin towards the end of 2019 or in early 2020.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 17:50   #1933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
MG Hector to re-open bookings from October 01st , deliveries for the newly booked cars will only begin towards the end of 2019 or in early 2020.
Something doesn't add up. They claim to have 28000 bookings till now and have delivered close to 3500 vehicles. So If they plan to deliver cars for newly booked cars by Jan 2020, they will have to finish delivery of the remaining 24000 bookings in 4 months which means roughly 6000 cars per month. The current production capacity is not even 3000. Assuming they deliver 2500 cars per month from now on, we are looking at 10000 deliveries which still leaves another 14000 cars to be delivered.

If they are going to follow rule book and finish delivery of previous bookings and still start delivery of new bookings by Jan, it clearly means that they are having around 14000 cancellations. This means 50% of bookings got cancelled within 4 months which is not a good news in the larger picture for the company although no one ever expected to see 3000 Hectors being sold every month.

A guy in my apartment complex got Hector delivered in last week of July/First week of August. I caught up with him one day and had a chat. Apparently he saw a TD vehicle in our premises which had come for some other person. He requested for a TD, liked the car and said he will buy within the week in full payment if car is available. They called within 2 days and said there was a cancellation and gave him the car! So I am guessing MG doesn't really follow the booking process that strictly.
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 20:36   #1934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
I am really looking forward to see some ownership threads on Hector. Till now, it is only queries, intrigues, expectations, criticisms, appreciations, apprehensions and whole gamut of expressions. But the full review and ownership experiences are missing yet.

Seriously looking to read how Hector is performing in real world situation in India.

Same, with the immense number of bookings the Hector has recieved, it would be one of the greatest busts in Indian automobile history if the car repeats its history in China and fails to live up to its standards in India.
Old 24th September 2019, 21:12   #1935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Something doesn't add up. They claim to have 28000 bookings till now and have delivered close to 3500 vehicles. So If they plan to deliver cars for newly booked cars by Jan 2020, they will have to finish delivery of the remaining 24000 bookings in 4 months which means roughly 6000 cars per month. The current production capacity is not even 3000. Assuming they deliver 2500 cars per month from now on, we are looking at 10000 deliveries which still leaves another 14000 cars to be delivered.
It doesn't work that way. The waiting period is higher for tier 2 and tier 3 cities as compared to the metros. Someone who booked a diesel hector in Delhi will surely get it sooner than someone who booked it in Hisar for example. The demand from metros is higher so the allocations are higher as well.

Then there is the production of different variants. Most of the deliveries of hybrid bookings are pending. The Diesel and the DCT have lesser waiting periods.

It's not exactly chronological.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks