Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2019, 20:31   #196
Team-BHP Support

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Powered tailgate and voice-welcoming feature highlighted in the first MG Hector ad with Benedict Cumberbatch -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 21:09   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Wouldn't such a big, heavy car having a small'ish turbo petrol with an AT be a recipe for disaster when it comes to fuel consumption? Whatever, I could glean from the internet, the Compass petrol barely delivers around 7 kmpl in city conditions. I fear the same or less for the Hector.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
This will be the case with any petrol powered mid-sized SUV. I never heard of any SUV giving a healthy 14 to 15 kmpl in the city.
Newton's third law, Cleaner air = higher consumption
I doubt this, they are having a 48V electric motor to this SUV. Will like to see how much difference will it make in day-to-day driving in city and highway conditions. The SUV looks and feels good, except for the tiny tires.
Old 3rd April 2019, 21:23   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
This will be the case with any petrol powered mid-sized SUV. I never heard of any SUV giving a healthy 14 to 15 kmpl in the city.
My Ecosport diesel barely gives me 15 kmpl in the city with the AC on. But recently my Verna diesel churned out a staggering 22 kmpl in the highway
So not to expect much in any petrol powered mid sized car.
Newton's third law, Cleaner air = higher consumption
15 kmpl Wow! Is your's a diesel? On my test drive run, the ecosport returned around 9 kmpl. This was a petrol AT driven very gently. With the metro construction in full swing all over Mumbai, I can only shudder what kind of numbers a big SUV such as Hector would return.

Totally OT, but could not help bring this up. Once I took my BIL's Dzire AMT for a drive, it was barely 10 kms but it took me over 90 mins to reach the destination, can you guess the mileage the car returned? It was a measly 8 kpl (based on the MID).
Old 3rd April 2019, 22:01   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
The comment section is filled with hate comments for this car for its Chinese connection.
I believe this sudden uproar against Chinese products is due to recent developments regarding India's UN resolution to blacklist terror outfit JeM leader Masood Azar which was blocked by China (as it has done so multiple times previously).

Have been noticing a lot of calls among people to boycott Chinese products citing this reason.
Games Goblin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 23:14   #200
BHPian

Automatic variant for cars in this price segment should be a no brainer. Don't know why car companies are hesitant to offer one right from the beginning. They perhaps don't realize that they are losing a chunk of customers ,especially in metros ,due to non availability of the auto option.
thehighwayman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 23:41   #201
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the hate comments for Chinese products, it is unneeded but not unexpected. Social media is like this headless monster which seems to have a need to react to every action. Regarding the MG Hector, it seems to be a fine product and is manufactured in India, so its success is beneficial to the India economy at large. However actions will have repercussions. With a billion mobile phones and a cheap and free internet, reputations are made and can get tainted in a matter of days in India. Therefore, it would be wise for the Chinese to keep this mind if they do not want their products to be sullied in India. It is their wish what they want to do of-course, but human beings are emotional and car purchases are more so.

One might say that, that is unfair. What does action X has to do with response Y? But that is how it is these days. Granted, we are dependent on the Chinese for a lot of things these days, but this is not the end of India's growth or its needs.

On a lighter note, does this 'connected car' come with updated maps?

Last edited by avishar : 3rd April 2019 at 23:43.
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 05:51   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
And most of these are people with too much time on their hands. Majority of them would not even be in the market for a SUV. I always wonder who has time to really vent their frustrations online...where there is absolutely nothing which is going to come out of it!
And perhaps a chinese phone too which they used to type their messages (the oneplus's, vivo and the xiaomi's)
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 07:30   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I heard the 2.8 Crysta manages 0 to 100 in 10.2 seconds, haven't tried it personally. If it wasn't for the ground clearance I would have bought the Tucson, 0 to 100 under 9 seconds. But after looking at a few accident repairs at the Hyundai showroom it was clear that it's not for me. Crysta again has low ground clearance in ratio to the wheelbase. Arrgghhhh.
Even 0/100 in 10 seconds doesn't feel quick. My Bmw's acceleration in about 8 seconds also doesn't feel extraordinary. If you really want to feel the kick, the figure needs to be sub 5 seconds. However this is immaterial. SUV needs to be measured for roll on acceleration and in gear figures. How quickly can you accelerate from 40 kmph till 100/120 kmph after you dodge that slow truck is useful. Hence higher and sustained low end torque figures matter.
High ground clearance and higher acceleration figures are not complementary to each other, due bodyroll and relative lack of control when compared to a sedan.
In a nutshell, my car is about 4 seconds quicker to 100 than my SUV, also the car is way faster than the he SUV at the top end, however in real life, on mixed highways, my SUV will arrive atleast 30 mins quicker over a long journey due higher gc and go anywhere ability.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 07:41   #204
BHPian

If MG manages to churn out volumes in our market, we are about to see dashboards of our mass market car getting major revamps. Expecting the pricing to be competitive and long warranty periods to make this more appealing to mass market. They can't hide the Chinese connection but they can shift focus with strategies.
If MG is not planning to be greedy, our market forerunners should be ready to cut down their greed.
Old 4th April 2019, 08:07   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Powered tailgate and voice-welcoming feature highlighted in the first MG Hector ad with Benedict Cumberbatch -
I saw the ad , but just could not understand what in the hell was Mr Benedict saying in the ad.
Old 4th April 2019, 08:46   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
I saw the ad , but just could not understand what in the hell was Mr Benedict saying in the ad.
"You know when you're with friends when you only use their first names"

2 guesses:

The AI in the car greets him by his first name, like friends would greet each other

The car is named Hector, which I am guessing is a common first name in the UK?

Last edited by Games Goblin : 4th April 2019 at 08:48.
Games Goblin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 08:49   #207
BHPian

Basically MG has sent friend request
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 09:13   #208
BANNED

I've heard the MG Hector will be available with AI-based Voice Assist. By saying "Hello MG", the MG car owners can activate this voice assist system to perform 100 tasks. MG promises to provide the "AI superior user experiences”. I'm quite looking forward to its intelligence. That said, it can understand about 100 accents, not pretty sure about our Indian dialects.
IndianAutoEnthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 10:03   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
The AI in the car greets him by his first name, like friends would greet each other
This guess is correct.

I quite like the ad; its classy.
Warming up to the hector to be honest. It ticks *almost* all my boxes.
ihrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 12:04   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Even 0/100 in 10 seconds doesn't feel quick. My Bmw's acceleration in about 8 seconds also doesn't feel extraordinary. If you really want to feel the kick, the figure needs to be sub 5 seconds. However this is immaterial. SUV needs to be measured for roll on acceleration and in gear figures. How quickly can you accelerate from 40 kmph till 100/120 kmph after you dodge that slow truck is useful. Hence higher and sustained low end torque figures matter.
High ground clearance and higher acceleration figures are not complementary to each other, due bodyroll and relative lack of control when compared to a sedan.
In a nutshell, my car is about 4 seconds quicker to 100 than my SUV, also the car is way faster than the he SUV at the top end, however in real life, on mixed highways, my SUV will arrive atleast 30 mins quicker over a long journey due higher gc and go anywhere ability.
Oh there is no comparison, you are absolutely right. My sedan is much faster than my SUV, of course the weight also adds on to the issue. Anyway which SUV were you talking about in this post? Also which BMW sedan were you referring to?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks