Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2019, 22:19   #2146
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
Very few forum members have given thier reviews post taking delivery on these factors. Would really appreciate some more reviews on city/highway/hills usage of the DCT.

I've been using my Hector DCT this full month now. Have driven 1800kms mostly within city, did an intercity Delhi-Karnal trip too.

I'll jump straight to it. There is about 1-2 s lag in power surge no matter which gear you are in if you are below 2k rpm (as that is what the engine upshifts to). But when that power hits it overtakes very quickly. You get surprised at this rush of power as you don't realize this petrol automatic smooth engine which is so docile can surge forwards this way.

However always always do this with part throttle as above 4k rpm there is practically no extra power and engine is very loud. Hence sport mode is inconvenient for me. Sport mode downshifts quickly but goes to higher rpm too.

I've seen best experience in half throttle bursts in sport mode. More than enough for city and highways too.

Done 100kmph easily . But I mostly drive around 60-70 with avg speed of 30-40kmph in city.

Mileage is 10kmpl till now consistently in each refuelling.

MG service is pretty great too. Pickup from my office is done and service and delivery by evening.

Let me know if you have any more questions
dhruvwali is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 23:45   #2147
BANNED

Chinese OEM Baojun launches 2020 model year Baojun-530 also known as MG-Hector in India, to be available in three seating configurations, 2+3, 2+2+2, and 2+3+2.

Source: Autocar Professional
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-boujan-530.jpg  

Last edited by wheelguy : 28th October 2019 at 00:09.
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 07:38   #2148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
Let me know if you have any more questions
Congratulations on finishing almost 2k kms already.

Had a few questions.

1. Which car did you move from? Any specific difference you found?

2. Are the wiper and headlight control stalks on the correct sides?

3. The doors have an extra rubber bit at the bottom that MG promotes as the 'Saree guard', atleast in the south. Mainly to keep dust out I guess. Can we get a pic of that?

4. Did you have enough points for accessories? Any specific accessories worth buying?

5. Have you taken any of the MG Shield maintenance packages? I'm looking to get the 5 year classic subscription.
Old 28th October 2019, 10:17   #2149
BHPian

Quote:
I've been using my Hector DCT this full month now. Have driven 1800kms mostly within city, did an intercity Delhi-Karnal trip too.
Thanks for the detailed response. From your profile I see that your earlier car is a Honda City. How does the performance compare to the City.

Also if you have driven in hills, does the torque feel sufficient?

Maybe I will ask the dealer for 1 more test drive before taking the delivery.

Last edited by ampere : 28th October 2019 at 23:24. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 28th October 2019, 10:49   #2150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Congratulations on finishing almost 2k kms already.

Had a few questions.

1. Which car did you move from? Any specific difference you found?

2. Are the wiper and headlight control stalks on the correct sides?

3. The doors have an extra rubber bit at the bottom that MG promotes as the 'Saree guard', atleast in the south. Mainly to keep dust out I guess. Can we get a pic of that?

4. Did you have enough points for accessories? Any specific accessories worth buying?

5. Have you taken any of the MG Shield maintenance packages? I'm looking to get the 5 year classic subscription.
1. I used to drive a Hyundai i20 Asta(o) petrol (2016) and a Honda City Vx petrol manual 2015. The major differences are as below -

A. Build quality and door heft is astounding, when I go back to my other cars now they feel like tin cans

B. The steering is incredibly light (I wish it weighed up on higher speeds more though). This makes it very easy to maneuver

C. Turbo surge in power for a petrol engine is new. I'm used to linear power delivery. The city ivtech has a crazy power delivery, still my go-to car for pure performance.

D. The brakes are excellent. This I realized after getting this car and going back to the city. The city brake pedal was way too spongy and didn't do anything till I depressed the pedal halfway through.

E. Space Space and more space. I was spoilt for space with the city. This car takes it several segments higher

F. Rear bench under thigh support is seriously lacking for my height. (I'm 6feet). I love my city seats in comparison. Hell even the i20 rear and front driver seats had better under thigh support

G. Fit and finish is better than Honda city but lower than i20.

2. Yup. Photos below.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20191028102448.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20191028102502.jpg

3. Yes, this is of exceptional quality. Photo below.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20191028102420.jpg

4. I got my car delivery after 15 weeks so I got 15000 points. I used it to get some of below accessories and paid for the difference -
- Side step board (14k)
- Door sill plates (2k)
- Boot sill plate (1.4k)
- Pillows (2.2k)
- Number plate frame (0.5k)
- essential kit (6.5k) - car cover, mud flaps, 3d mats

In addition I got below complimentary
- car perfume
- divinity
- neck support cushions
- key chain
- leather documents holder
- Tissue box
- 15 litres of fuel while delivery! (This is new, I've never gotten more than a lite wherever else I've gotten a delivery of my other cars)

I additionally bought from outside -
- Viofo A129 duo dashcam (10k)
- Paint protection coating (6.5k)
- 5 piece microfiber cloth set (0.4k)
- Front seats coat hooks (0.2k)
- Powerful mini LED torch (1k)
- Jopasu duster (0.5k)
- Tyre pressure monitor, portable pump & car charger etc I had since earlier.

5. Yes I've taken 5 year MG Premium Shield for ~ 55k as this way I don't need to worry about anything for next 5 years (practically as per my usage this will be ~4years only)
dhruvwali is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 12:55   #2151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

B. The steering is incredibly light (I wish it weighed up on higher speeds more though)

F. Rear bench under thigh support is seriously lacking for my height. (I'm 6feet)
G. Fit and finish is better than Honda city but lower than i20.
- Pillows (2.2k)
- Number plate frame (0.5k)
- essential kit (6.5k) - car cover, mud flaps, 3d mats

- 15 litres of fuel while delivery! (This is new, I've never gotten more than a lite wherever else I've gotten a delivery of my other cars)

- Paint protection coating (6.5k)

5. Yes I've taken 5 year MG Premium Shield
Thanks for the prompt reply.

The steering wheel was the primary weakness I felt in the driveability. Gives absolutely no feedback as compared to my Civic. The variant I chose , Diesel, is slightly better but absolutely dead steering wheel.

The rear bench under thigh support is something I learnt about much after booking. Everyone in my family was floored by the space and the legroom so you really don't notice the under thigh support in the short test drive. I rarely sit at the back so I didn't get to gauge the same either. The front seats are decent though.

Is it? I thought the interior quality isn't all that great. They've kept it clean so that's a plus. No soft touch plastics. The ZS EV is slated to have much better interiors.

The door guard does seem pretty good. Thanks for the pic.

How's the quality of the side step board ? Quite a few users on FB were complaining about it.

The cushions are pricey. Are they worth it? Good to see I can use the points for the essential kit

15 litres is a lot! Maruti gave us 5 litres diesel coupon for the S Cross.

The paint protection coating? Recommended? What do they coat it with? Did you get it done at the dealership?

Nice. So all your services are going to be free I reckon. What's the difference between the premium shield and the classic? All parts are included, including wear and tear?

In other news:

MG is testing the BS6 version of the Hector which will be seen April onwards.

Last edited by coolkurt : 28th October 2019 at 13:06.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 13:34   #2152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I additionally bought from outside -
- Viofo A129 duo dashcam (10k)
Where did you source this dashcam from? How is the experience so far? Does it affect the warranty by any chance?
Old 28th October 2019, 13:46   #2153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Where did you source this dashcam from? How is the experience so far? Does it affect the warranty by any chance?
Aliexpress, got it in 20 days. no hassles.

Nope, no warranty issues since there is a USB port right below the IRVM and takes power directly from the IRVM. No hardwiring needed. I am yet to figure out how to install the rear camera though. since it requires routing the wiring through the headboard.

Dashcam - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3288...70c34c4dgQxQWC

CPL filter - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...70c34c4dgQxQWC

Quote:

How's the quality of the side step board ? Quite a few users on FB were complaining about it.
Good quality, no issues till now.

Quote:

The cushions are pricey. Are they worth it?
Ridiculously pricey, but yes good quality.

Quote:
15 litres is a lot! Maruti gave us 5 litres diesel coupon for the S Cross.
Infact there was no coupon here, they just filled up the car and handed it over to me.

Quote:
The paint protection coating? Recommended? What do they coat it with? Did you get it done at the dealership?
Absolutely recommended, I live in Noida where there is really hard water (TDS >1200) and my car cleaner guy cleans it with wet cloth daily + proper wash on sundays, so the top coat goes away very quickly. In all my cars i get paint protection done once or twice an year to keep them shining. It makes a huge difference , especially years down the line. I get them done at Exppress Car wash centers. There is a Detailing Mafia outlet in Mall Of India, Noida.

Quote:
What's the difference between the premium shield and the classic? All parts are included, including wear and tear?
Correct, everything included except for tyres and battery. Battery warranty is for 1 year i think. And the extra premium to cover tyres and battery too for 5 years was 50k which was not worth it.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th October 2019 at 14:42. Reason: Back to back posts.
dhruvwali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 14:04   #2154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely recommended, I live in Noida where there is really hard water (TDS >1200) and my car cleaner guy cleans it with wet cloth daily + proper wash on sundays, so the top coat goes away very quickly.

Correct, everything included except for tyres and battery. Battery warranty is for 1 year i think. And the extra premium to cover tyres and battery too for 5 years was 50k which was not worth it.
Sounds great. I have hard water in my area as well and my Civic and Punto bear the brunt of the water for all of 12.5 years ( and counting) and 10 years respectively, but I've never got any kind of coating done. Just polishing at regular intervals. But I think I might go in for a coating for the Hector.

Well. The premium plan covers 5 years/75k kms for Rs 80k. And 7 services are covered. But the thing is my running is around 3k kms per month. So I'd have clocked 36k kms in one year. So I'd probably exhaust my cover in 2 years, instead of 5. And the classic plan has the usual consumables covered ( Parts+Labour + Lubes) for 28k, which I think is good enough. My brake pads usually last 40-50k kms and the clutch plate 80-100k kms so I'll be outside the ambit of the cover anyway.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 11:23   #2155
Senior - BHPian

MG has achieved 75% localisation with the Hector, which is a pretty decent number. So more or less, the hector is a made in India car.

But a major portion of the powertrain components are from China, and are being produced under the SGMW – SAIC-GM-Wuling umbrella.

The made in China parts are imported, while the rest is sourced locally.

The engine block, the head of the 1.5-litre, four-cylinder turbocharged petrol - SGMW

The oil filter and ignition coils - SGMW

The turbocharger unit - Honeywell Garrett ( manufactured in China for SGMW)

Intake manifold - Bosch ( manufactured in China for SGMW)

The intercooler and the 48V starter generator on the mild-hybrid - Valeo ( manufactured in China)

The Li-ion battery for the mild-hybrid - Bosch ( manufactured in China)

ORVMs - SMR (Samvardhana Motherson Reflectec), made in India

Glass - Saint Gobain India

Glass for the Sunroof - Imported from China

The airbag module, steering coil - Ningbo China

Seatbelts - Zhe Jiang SongYuan Automotive Safety Company, China
coolkurt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 11:44   #2156
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MG has achieved 75% localisation with the Hector
Well, that looks like a good number but reality could be different. I remember the Duster being launched with 78% localization but the service costs have never reflected that number. Greater localization in terms of regular maintenance items:
  • Filters
  • Brake-pads and rotors
  • Batteries
  • Plastic clips, rivets, screws etc.
  • Bumpers
  • Head and tail lamps
  • Switches, relays, wiring harnesses etc.
  • Suspension components (link/track rods, bushes, shock absorbers)
... is what will keep the cost of ownership relate-able to the price bracket in which it it launched and would also help in improving their availability, thus reducing vehicle down-time in case of repairs.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 11:50   #2157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Well, that looks like a good number but reality could be different
Well MG has covered that ground with its maintenance plans - MG Shield, so the buyer is more or less insured for all parts, wear and tear or otherwise. For five years.

Most people change their cars within 7 years so it's a pretty decent cover to have. Gives you a lot of peace of mind.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 12:05   #2158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Well, that looks like a good number but reality could be different. I remember the Duster being launched with 78% localization but the service costs have never reflected that number. Greater localization in terms of regular maintenance items
is what will keep the cost of ownership relate-able to the price bracket in which it it launched and would also help in improving their availability, thus reducing vehicle down-time in case of repairs.
My 2013 Vento has like very little Made in India parts, nearly all major mechanicals were imported, like the engine was Made in Poland, the suspension from Spain, the Injectors from Spain, the gearbox from Germany, all in all it was a mix of various countries.

But over the years, there has been increased localisation, and regular maintenance parts were all made in India including the steering rack, suspension, filters, lights, interior elements, etc. I agree there hasn’t been a decrease in service costs but then even after years of inflation and rupee depreciation, the price of components have largely remained the same, and some parts are infact cheaper than say Maruti’s. Say a tail lamp costs around ₹2300 and the steering rack around ₹12000 (₹4000 cheaper than Swift’s).

Likewise MG may increase the localisation content over time. I believe they will eventually start exporting the car too once the Indian demand subsides.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 09:56   #2159
BHPian

My initial ownership review just went live.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ip-review.html (MG Hector Petrol DCT - Ownership Review)
t2k4 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 12:43   #2160
BHPian

Great going for MG in India...

AFAIK looks have have become the no.1 priority for current buyers.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img_20191030_121152.jpg

It really looks space age in India's streets and with the relatively narrow width, it is easy to manuever this SUV too.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed