Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2019, 10:50   #376
BHPian

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Thanks for sharing these Pics! I am for one closely following each development as I am very keen to buy the car if the real world feel of the car and pricing is right.

Few observtions from the above pics:
1. Rear Fogs & Reverse Lamp, IMO too low at the bumper, will also be susceptible to breaks in B2B traffic
2. Front Camera Below the Badge, Front parking sensors and LED/white fogs also on a manual model (Seems like a top spec model with Manual, does that mean Auto is delayed/not in top spec?)
3. Panel Gap b/w Front Fender & Door Sill is quite prominent. But the good part is door sill is covered all the way by the door, so no muddy trouser backs while getting in-out from a muddy car
4.The Middle Passenger seat belt has been moved to the Seat Back rather than hanging from the roof. Not sure which implementation is better for safety and comfort, but sure looks much neater.
5. Parcel shelf rails and placement indicates rear seat recline feature and the recline lever at a more comfortable seat base position rather the above the seat back.
6. Auto Tail Door Close - Gas struts are heavy and not exposed
7. Cream/Tan leatherette insert rather than white in most countries which matched with the top half cabin colour. Don't know addition of another colour will look good?
8. GoodYear Rubber
9. IRVM has a thick black frame and doesnt seems to have an auto dim feature. Sorely missed considering other things on offer
10. Auto Window only on Driver's
11. Lock/Unlock button has been moved to the door instead of central tunnel as was in Almaz. Piano Black finish next to the metallic unlock lever.
12. ORVM Controls are on the dash rather than on the door
13. Music is by HK's Infinity, Tweeter and Speakers on Doors
14. Rear Window visibility looks quite limited
15. Body Coloured Shark Finn Antennae
16. No Variant or Fuel Type Badging anywhere. Clean!
17. Speedometer has additional markings post 140Kmh, same with Tacho post 5k. Optimistic!
18. The whole Instrument Cluster has a L-R Mirror theme. I like it!
19. Don't like the small fuel and temp gauge (but at least its there)
20. GPS & ACC vectors (next to Fuel) suggest information being displayed there as well.
21. DTE and Trip/ODO meter on the single display. Seems well though of!
22. Don't like the shape or the size of the key. Very ungainly.
23. Auto Headlamp, and the stalks the right way. However, the left stalk seems to have a fog lamp function?
24. Cruise control and audio functions are the wrong way round on the steering. Will take time getting used to!
25. Steering looks chunky and clad with a proper leather. I Don't know is its the angle, but seems like a very subtle flat bottom?
26. Rear Windows don't go all the way down.
27. The Black plastic around the windows seems not premium, should have a better finish.
28. Chrome garnish only on the lower part of the window sill, not all the way round!
29. Chrome strips on the door handles!
30. Rear Centre Arm-rest, is Huge!
31. Three Head rests at the back with all having three point seat belts.
32. Proper silver roof rails!

I really like what I have seen so far, and there seems to be a constant improvement happening with each iteration around the world and we seem to be getting a more rounded product overall!

Seems like the Dealer Drives have already taken place, can't wait for more!
AGwagon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 12:14   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

With 75% local content, MG Motor commences production of its first SUV Hector.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-1.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-3.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-2.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th May 2019 at 12:17.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 12:31   #378
BHPian

You can see a lot of the Hector here in this latest MG youtube video

sreejinair is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 12:47   #379
BHPian

Leaving aside the quality of the product for a minute - I must say MG have done their social media homework really well. They've teased the Hector in a drip feed mode with regular videos and "scoops". The videos have all been well made (with an understated British classiness being the running theme).

They've got 175k plus Youtube subscribers which for a new brand is no joke (Tata Motors for example is around 150k)

They're poised to disrupt the market. Pricing will be the key
digitalnirvana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 12:49   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Why develop a fancy internal combustion model instead of burnishing the rough edges of a Baojun 510? Lousy brand strategy but great business sense!
MG Hector is the Baojun 530, not the 510.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
You can see a lot of the Hector here in this latest MG Youtube video
Indeed, one can also see how at 2:00 in the video, when the guy closes the rear door, the front door shakes like it got struck with an earthquake.
Though, the door may be open or improperly shut, but if it is closed then MG is having serious quality issues in its initial production.

One can also see a steel spare wheel at 2:15. This seems like the new norm.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th May 2019 at 15:42. Reason: Deleting video from quote
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 12:56   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
Indeed, one can also see how at 2:00 in the video, when the guy closes the rear door, the front door shakes like it got struck with an earthquake.
Though, the door may be open or improperly shut, but if it is closed then MG is having serious quality issues in its initial production.
I was going to say that when I posted the link and also the damn tires look really small on this car. Based on the guys reaction I assume that the door was not closed also I didn't like the sound when the door was closed, but its too soon to tell. We don't really know the actual situation whether the door was closed or may be not put together. Lets wait for it to hit the showroom to drive ourself or at least for the media drives. I guess that will be next month?
sreejinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 14:22   #382
Senior - BHPian

I am just happy to see a plant put into action again instead of shutting down. The Chinese have done everything perfectly well till now in the build up phase and has shown commitment by putting their money where their mouth is. The marketing has been spot on too. With one marketing push they changed the narrative from "Chinese cars? Are you joking?" to "Hmmmm, looks ok. Why not?". Benedict Cumberbatch, focus on digital gimmicks, they have read the market well.

It's also a bit worrying and I hope the Indian carmakers like Tata and M&M do not take their entry into the market lightly. I cannot speak for the MNCs, they will do what they want. With their home market slowing down, the Chinese are going to expand aggressively abroad, picking up slowing/old brands and re-introducing them in developed markets.
avishar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 16:14   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

After its unveil on 15th May, M G Hector's bookings will open in June.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-1.jpg

Quote:
The MG Hector SUV will come with a 143hp, 1.5-litre turbo-petrol engine and an FCA-sourced, 2.0-litre diesel mill. A 6-speed manual will be available as standard on both engines, with the turbo-petrol also getting the option of a 6-speed, dual-clutch automatic gearbox. Also on offer will be a 48V mild-hybrid variant that is claimed to be 12 percent more fuel efficient than the petrol variant.
Quote:
The Hector will initially be sold in a five-seat configuration, the 5 seat top-spec variant of the MG Hector will come with features like a 360-degree camera, a Harman Infinity audio system, six-way power adjustable driver’s seat, push-button start, keyless entry, cruise control and a tyre pressure monitoring system.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th May 2019 at 16:17.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 23:16   #384
BHPian

The way MG's marketing could turn around the Chinese flavoured opinions to their favour is remarkable. Apart from a tad puny tyres, the Hector looks great.

Hope that they grab a pie from the sales chart and enjoy the competition.
Old 6th May 2019, 23:29   #385
BHPian

Does anybody here know the tire size?
Old 7th May 2019, 07:54   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertprince View Post
The way MG's marketing could turn around the Chinese flavoured opinions to their favour is remarkable. Apart from a tad puny tyres, the Hector looks great.

Hope that they grab a pie from the sales chart and enjoy the competition.
Quote:
I agree with both of you on the tire size on Hector , these small size tyres are killing the appeal of an otherwise good looking SUV . These look to be 16 inchers at the most on such a big vehicle .

Last edited by drift2race : 7th May 2019 at 07:56.
Old 7th May 2019, 08:57   #387
BHPian

Quote:
As i cant edit my earlier post , I just found out the tyre size for hector : 215 / 60 R17 . Rest of the specs are here .. http://www.chinamobil.ru/eng/saic/ba...30/?view=props

Last edited by drift2race : 7th May 2019 at 08:59.
drift2race is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 09:42   #388
BHPian

Quote:
You can see a lot of the Hector here in this latest MG Youtube video
The video clearly shows that spare tire is a non alloy and placed under car ala Innova.

What I couldn't make out is, whether we have independent suspension for rear?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th May 2019 at 10:33. Reason: Removed video embed from quoted post.
Old 7th May 2019, 10:04   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race View Post
As i cant edit my earlier post , I just found out the tyre size for hector : 215 / 60 R17.
I guess the tyres look puny partly because of the squarish wheel arches.
Old 7th May 2019, 10:16   #390
BHPian

Will reserve the comments on the product till our official review but MG's marcom has been excellent. It's by far the best in recent times IMO. Just a case in point, one of my cousins who hate Korean origin cars is willing to consider MG once launched!
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks