Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2019, 10:15   #436
Team-BHP Support

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron-w16 View Post
Being a 100% Chinese product, one can expect poor quality. I have serious doubts on its reliability and long term ownership satisfaction.
Yes, a Chinese product might not be an epitome of reliability etc, but we can't generalize now, can we? That would be being biased Sir .

Would appreciate inputs to back up your line of thought. Thanks :-).

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2019 at 09:54. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been edited
Sheel is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 11:45   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron-w16 View Post
To give you more background about myself, I am official editorial board member of SAE for future cars globally, I review upcoming technologies which will come into production may be 5 to 10 years from now in developed countries. I am the official reviewer of international journal on autonomous car. I hope that gives an answer to Deepjaju on what basis i could talk about MG hector.
Hi. I am sorry to jump into this conversation but from what you have just posted, it gives you credibility. You are apparently on the editorial board of SAE. that’s great. However, that still doesn’t tell that you have experienced the quality level of the car in question, and it still doesn’t explain why you think it’ll be a bad quality product. Everyone deserves a second chance, this is their first. At least wait till they reveal the car. It’s Just a day away.

Also, I am in no way associated with MG. Not even a prospect customer.

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2019 at 09:54. Reason: Quoted post edited
bled_soul is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 12:07   #438
BHPian

AT first, The very thought of Chinese products are always of low quality is an absolute myth. In US, Chinese products are every where from Dollar Stores to high end lifestyle show rooms and the quality varies on what you pay. Chinese have mastered the art of creating VFM products better than any one in the world.

Secondly, when a manufacturer has invested billions in setting up a manufacturing facility in India, made as much localization as they can, employ our own people in factories and we still call the car Chinese in derogatory way is not acceptable that too with out even experiencing the product.

The last of the few Chevrolet cars that were sold in India were Chinese, if we go the Hector way. I agree that they didn't look very good, but none of them had any serious quality or reliability issues.

I am sure that Hector will be a success if priced right.

Last edited by Superleggera : 14th May 2019 at 12:15.
Superleggera is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 13:38   #439
BHPian

The carmaker will offer the Hector in five body colour options - glaze red, burgundy red, starry black, aurora silver and candy white. Details of the dimensions reveal that the SUV will be 4,655mm in length, 1,835mm in width and 1,760mm in height. It gets a wheelbase of 2,750mm and a ground clearance of 192mm.

The most interesting revelation is of the four variants - style, super, smart and sharp. The latter is the top-spec trim and will boast of many first-in-class features like a 360 degree camera, front parking sensors, internet, AL based online navigation and voice recognition, TPMS and more. Furthermore, there are LED front fog lamps, a height adjustment tailgate and heated ORVMs too. The other attractive features include LED headlights, remote car operation, a 10.4-inch touch screen system, panoramic sunroof etc. What's more, safety features like front and rear disc brakes, ESP, TCS, hill-hold control and vehicle stability management are standard across all trims.

The MG Hector will be offered in both petrol and diesel engine options. The 1.5-litre petrol will also be available in a hybrid (48V) trim. The oil-burner is powered by a 2.0-litre mill while the carmaker will offer a dual-clutch automatic transmission as an option, apart from the standard manual gearbox. More details will be revealed tomorrow at the official unveiling of the vehicle.

Source - carwale.com
sreejinair is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 13:39   #440
BHPian

@ veyron-w16

You definitely have more experience in the automotive field. You really do have credibility in saying what you want to say. I applaud you for that sir. I am not engaged professionally, I am just a layman and a proud team-bhp member. Also, I am not some 'MG guy'. My field of work is completely different from automotive and hence no motive for me.

'Being a 100% Chinese product, one can expect poor quality. I have serious doubts on its reliability and long term ownership satisfaction.'

This statement of yours is clearly biased, on the fact that you don't like Chinese goods. All I meant to say was please don't jump into conclusions based on a stereotype.
Long back when Chinese products entered the Indian market (like batteries, toys, bikes, etc.) they were not up to the mark in quality and that lead us to have a first impression of being cheap. But does not mean its always the same case. So I urge you to consider giving statements despite you having such credibility in the field.
You must have had some criteria or experience with this particular product when you said it's cheap & unreliable. If you could kindly share the same with us fellow members we would be highly grateful. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2019 at 09:55. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been edited
deepjaju is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 19:16   #441
Senior - BHPian

Scoop: MG Hector features + specs leaked

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in.

The feature list and specifications of the MG Hector has been leaked. The SUV comes in 4 variants - Style, Super, Smart and Sharp. It comes equipped with internet connectivity, a 10.4-inch touchscreen infotainment system, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, 7-inch MID, 6 airbags, cruise control, remote car operation, panaromic sunroof, heated ORVMs, cooled glove box and ambient lighting. Safety features include a 360-degree camera and 6 airbags.

The car is powered by a 1.5-litre petrol engine producing 141 BHP and 250 Nm of torque and a 2.0-litre diesel producing 168 BHP and 350 Nm of torque. 6-speed MT is available as standard while a dual-clutch automatic is available in the petrol. A hybrid variant is also on offer.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-hector-scoop-1-watermarked.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-hector-scoop-2-watermarked.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Last edited by Aditya : 15th May 2019 at 10:10.
ChiragM is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 19:32   #442
Senior - BHPian

So the diesel automatic is still missing. That would have completed an otherwise great package. MG has got its marketing right. If they price it well , they will surely get some numbers.

I have a feeling quality is going to be better than our two home grown manufacturers; at least the niggles will be less. Chinese are actually good at mass manufacturing electronics items with quality. There are no reasons to believe the same cannot be done with cars as well.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th May 2019 at 19:34. Reason: Typos. Please proof read your posts.
Old 14th May 2019, 19:49   #443
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. That is an exhaustive feature list.

Now to see the fit and finish and more importantly the ride and handling. On the face of it looks a nice product. Now over to the pricing.

Style, Super, Smart and Sharp. I am just not able to get over with these variant names.:
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 20:01   #444
Team-BHP Support

Good variant distribution. Except for the lowest variant, everything else gets the basics right. TATA Motors (Harrier) and Mahindra (XUV 3OO), please take note!

That touchscreen alone is going to appeal to many, and comes standard right from the 2nd variant (though it misses out on the speakers set, which can be easily upgraded in the aftermarket). Also on offer from this variant are cruise control, Apple Carplay and Android Auto, parking sensor and camera assist etc. Decent kit, now hope the pricing matches as well.

Most safety features come standard as well.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th May 2019 at 20:07.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 20:12   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Is this real or fake? Reason I ask is because it mentions these in the list - duel front air bag, febric seats, rain senging wipers, 60:40 split seats flate fold.

I sincerely hope they've used a good quality localization partner to translate their brochures and other literature.
rovingeye is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 21:06   #446
Senior - BHPian

Spelling mistakes aside, the model mix seems to be quite intelligent. The top but one - Smart variant has it all besides a few bits like a panoramic sun roof. Safety features in the form of side and curtain airbags are also included in this variant. So well done MG. Now lets see how it is priced.
Another thing of note is that the mileage figures of the petrol AT is pretty close the petrol manual. Not sure if the hybrid's mileage figures are listed here.
hiren.mistry is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 23:36   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
While the MG Motors is a new brand in India, they have ticked all the boxes to get the product right. Now, the focus will be on ASS and the pricing, as it will be a crucial factor which will decide the future of MG in India.

Undoubtedly, the list is feature packed. Indian manufacture should take a page from MG's book, because it does packs all the features (and more) that customers have now come to expect from a SUV that costs around Rs. 20 lakh.

If priced right, it will definitely eat into sales of XUV500, Harrier and Compass.

IMO, the following key features does make it stand out in the crowd:
- 10.4 inch touch screen (with android auto and apple car play) is present in all variants except base variant
- TMPS (missing in Harrier)
- Cruise Control is present in all variants except base variant
- 6 way electronically adjustable driver seat (missing in Harrier)
- 4 way electronically adjustable passenger seat in top variant
- Electric Hand Brake (missing in Harrier)
- Heated ORVM (missing in Harrier)
- Internet connectivity (in top two variants)
- ISOFIX seats mounts standard across all variants
- 360 around view camera (Harrier doesn't even get front parking sensor )
- Rear disc brakes
- ESP/TCS/VSM/HHC standard across all variants

Let's wait to hear from MG tomorrow.

Did anyone notice that the list is silent on availability of manual air con and automatic climate control?
rahul_goyal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 07:09   #448
BHPian

Man, I am impressed with the safety features. ESP/TCS/VSM/HHC/ISOFIX/6 Air Bags etc. it's all down to the pricing. If for second they have thought about charging the premium then it's gonna backfire. Fingers crossed.
Old 15th May 2019, 07:20   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_goyal View Post
IMO, the following key features does make it stand out in the crowd
I forgot to mention the massive Panaromic sun roof (). Looks stunning.

Also, I just noticed that the tail gate is wrapped around. There are no split tail lamps. The tail gate houses the whole tail lamps. Not sure, if I have seen something like this in any other car.

Rear does look boring and plain. Thanks to the red strip running between the two tail lamp.

Last edited by ampere : 15th May 2019 at 07:40. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 15th May 2019, 08:06   #450
Team-BHP Support

Impressive list of features. Loved the panoramic sunroof; don't think any sub 20L car would have one. And from the scoop shots, the Hector seems to have an imposing presence on the road especially with that massive bonnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Is this real or fake?
Haha for sure real! These are the classic spelling mistakes; spelt the way they are pronounced.

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2019 at 17:25. Reason: As per RP
Gannu_1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks