Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2019, 10:53   #556
Distinguished - BHPian

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Not sure why Tata will try to pitch Chinese vs Indian argument, not that tata has set great standards. While i am not saying that made in china will necessarily be great, made in India is not actually a benchmark too, except for the sentimental value attached.

Really digging this car, my vento will be 4 year old by end of the year, this could be a worthy replacement in every sense and i will not have to compromise on DSG also. Will closely follow this thread.

Last edited by Eddy : 19th May 2019 at 13:55. Reason: Typo
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 11:39   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Not sure why Tata will try to pitch chinese vs Indian argument, not that tata has set great standards.
Someone should come out with a list of all Made in China parts used by Tata Motors. The generous use of Chrome by MG Motors will have mixed opinion.

Last edited by deehunk : 19th May 2019 at 11:46.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 12:17   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
MG Hector's full TVC-

I found the ad to be very classy! MG is living up to its British lineage at least in its communication. I hope the product doesn't disappoint.

Last edited by manson : 19th May 2019 at 12:41. Reason: Trimmed quote.
octane_100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 14:22   #559
BHPian

Imagine driving in the night with that thing massic screen turned off, I hope people can drive this car with that 10.4 inch screen turned off.
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 14:59   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Imagine driving in the night with that thing massic screen turned off, I hope people can drive this car with that 10.4 inch screen turned off.
Sorry, didn't understand your viewpoint. What's the issue in driving at night with that screen turned off or on? Most modern cars now have this screen. Why do you foresee a problem only with the hector? Kindly explain.
Lalvaz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 15:17   #561
Senior - BHPian

Even though there are enough posts about Chinese DNA I would love to share one more point of view!

Imagine if people ignore RE's Continental/interceptor 650 twins because of Indian origin, Imagine if people ignore KTMs due to Indian DNA in them!

We feel proud and even excited, when we see Indian brands on international level, be it in Hollywood movies or when we go abroad, can this happen if those people abroad had our mindset?

If everyone in the US wanted IT related work done only by their fellow citizen would we even had enough cash flow to think about getting a product like the Hector?

Just give them a chance to prove in the real world, if the product beaks down like our anticipation, then we have all the rights to bash it. Hope this discussion will be put to an end!
giri1.8 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 15:17   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Sorry, didn't understand your viewpoint. What's the issue in driving at night with that screen turned off or on? Most modern cars now have this screen. Why do you foresee a problem only with the hector? Kindly explain.
The light from the screen would be bright and in the darkness inside a car, this could very well be a problem. I dim my car head unit or switch it off completely to avoid the glare. But In the Hector this is going to be a much bigger issue given the fact that the screen size is humongous and also basic functions such as controlling HVAC is also all built into the touch screen system.
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 15:17   #563
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry, I was supposed to write Imagine driving in the night with that thing massic screen turned on, I accidentally wrote it off.

When I am driving on the highway in the night, I prefer the lights on the inside of the car turned off. Not sure if others do that or not, but I do. One of my cars has the old 2 din system but without a touch screen, it doesnt throw a lot of light so it doesnt bother me in the night, but my other car has an 8ish inch touch screen which I usually switch off (just the screen). I have also seen a few of my friends do that. Dont know why they do it, but I cant drive properly in the night if any light is coming on to my eyes. Doesnt matter if its coming from inside the car from the HU or outside from the headlights of other cars. I cant control the lights coming from the outside, but I can control the lights on the inside. You might have really good eyes, I dont, I have a condition called CSR which hinders my vision specially when lights are thrown at me in the night.

Last edited by sreejinair : 19th May 2019 at 15:44.
sreejinair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 16:13   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:

My view is that you cannot turn off the screen and drive. There are no physical controls for the AC. Even if you want to adjust the aircon or any other setting related to the car, I am guessing that the screen needs to be on.

I am sure the screen will have a night mode and should not be a hindrance to drive at night.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 19th May 2019 at 16:14.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 16:30   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
My view is that you cannot turn off the screen and drive. There are no physical controls for the AC. Even if you want to adjust the aircon or any other setting related to the car, I am guessing that the screen needs to be on.

I am sure the screen will have a night mode and should not be a hindrance to drive at night.
I think there is a reason why they keep emphasizing on "hello mg" voice commands. You are not supposed to fiddle with the giant screen and drive at the same time, especially in the night
sreejinair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 16:32   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
I am sure there will be night mode to operate the screen, but they could also manage this entirely in the background by voice command. It should not cost a bomb to control screen off/on by voice command.
Old 19th May 2019, 20:31   #567
Bee
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think that'll be a problem. Obviously MG would've thought of night time driving for the consumer. There would be an option to dim the brightness (maybe ambient light sensing and auto brightness too!). On top of that, it might have an option for night mode (dark/black backgrounds) which may get automatically turned on wrt sunset and sunrise times. This will be like the dark modes nowadays available in Android apps and websites.
Bee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 23:01   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
In the video at 43 seconds notice 4 spots on the road created by the headlamps and fog lamps. I have never seen something like this in any other car. Is it due to the placement of the lamps being so down low?

Is this a flaw of some sort?
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 12:44   #569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
In the video at 43 seconds notice 4 spots on the road created by the headlamps and fog lamps. I have never seen something like this in any other car. Is it due to the placement of the lamps being so down low?

Is this a flaw of some sort?
Looks like these are some sort of intentional pattern they have created. The ones closer to the car are arrow shaped!
But these should be out of the Driver's field of view and should not be an issue for the driver if the led beams are good. Normally vehicles with LED headlights designed for LEDs are designed well and have a good beam distribution and spread and it is unlikely that it would generate these kind of spots if they did not intend it.
For the casual bystander, these spots will certainly look quite dramatic though!
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 19:00   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Imagine driving in the night with that thing massive screen turned on
Quite a relevant point you have pointed out there. I used to drive a Vento fitted with an aftermarket 7 in touchscreen system. That was the first time I realised this problem. Currently I am driving an XUV, in which the touchscreen reduces its brightness once headlights are on. I feel that even the blue 'mood lighting' in the XUV kinda hampers night time driving. So I usually keep it off as well. With poor driving ethics and majority of oncoming traffic refusing to dim their headlights, it is quite a predicament. Controlling essential features via touchscreen and voice commands isnt the most intuitive option IMO.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks