Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2019, 23:22   #856

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

The Internet Inside badging looks quite over the top, in my opinion. Basing an entire marketing campaign on this is one thing but making sure everyone around the car knows that it is a “connected car” is at a whole new level!
Old 24th June 2019, 11:04   #857
BHPian

Went to MG again for a test drive this time but to Rohini showroom in Delhi and what a difference between showrooms and knowledge of staff between Rohini and GGN.
But yeah test drive was good and I agree with everyone's comment on power and body roll .
For booking they are stating 3-4 months of waiting for automatic and automatic test drives will be from month end.

Last edited by ajmat : 24th June 2019 at 11:57.
Old 24th June 2019, 11:22   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezza View Post
The Internet Inside badging looks quite over the top, in my opinion. Basing an entire marketing campaign on this is one thing but making sure everyone around the car knows that it is a “connected car” is at a whole new level!
Why not? It's like the adage "if you have it, flaunt it". And this is especially true in Indian context where I have even seen people flaunting their K&N, Koni etc..

But then I do agree that not everyone likes to see stickers and badges all over their vehicle.

Last edited by prakash_ajp : 24th June 2019 at 11:22. Reason: format
Old 24th June 2019, 11:41   #859

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Why not?
===
But then I do agree that not everyone likes to see stickers and badges all over their vehicle.
What’s next? 7 airbags inside, sunroof inside, leather seats inside?
jezza is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 11:59   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I thought of the same when I saw that badge. Imo it looks cheap and cheesy.

When I saw the Internet badge on Hector I was reminded of the tourist buses with "DVD, Dolby Digital Surround, JBL, Dance Machine, Facebook" etc etc stickered in large font over the windows along with the ubiquitous "Volvo" on all 4 sides.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 12:03   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Its just the latest fad, hence the badge. Once more and more manufacturers start providing connected features in their cars, this badging (and feature) will no longer be the USP. IIRC, we've had AC and ABS badging added to the variant when those features were newly introduced
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 20:43   #862
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Its just the latest fad, hence the badge. Once more and more manufacturers start providing connected features in their cars, this badging (and feature) will no longer be the USP. IIRC, we've had AC and ABS badging added to the variant when those features were newly introduced
Very true. Long time back one of my friend had told me how he saved a lot of money just by plastering an ‘ABS’ sticker on his Swift vdi rather than going for the actual ABS version .
pavi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 21:05   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, we used to see 'power brake' and 'ABS' badges on cars . 'Internet Inside' is a novel thing at least. I don't know why they can't show 'Connected Car' badge. There could be a copyright issue.
Old 24th June 2019, 21:27   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Well, we used to see 'power brake' and 'ABS' badges on cars . 'Internet Inside' is a novel thing at least. I don't know why they can't show 'Connected Car' badge. There could be a copyright issue.
It does look cheesy to have so many badges but "De-Badging" is very easy as long as you have dental floss or fishing rod wire.
panamera13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 23:21   #865
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to my friend, Rahul for these pics.

Black colour
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img20190624wa0002.jpg

ECU
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img20190624wa0004.jpg

Yes, it's the same Bosch EDC17 used in Jeep Compass
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 09:05   #866
Distinguished - BHPian

Got to test drive both the petrol and diesel versions for a short distance.

Few observations from the test drive.

Petrol - 48V Hybrid Version.

1. Quiet motor which was free revving. Could not rev it beyond 4000 rpm
2. Electric motors gives it ample push in the lower rpms making the drive-ability a lot better and difficult to stall the engine. For the regular usage, the vehicle did not feel under-powered. Need to drive in the highways
3. Steering felt on the lighter side and brakes quite sharp on the Hybrid version.
4. Battery charges while braking or while coasting. So the easy coasting is not available as there is good enough resistance which is used for charging the batteries.
5. Suspension felt on the softer side, did hear a few clanks over the broken roads.
6. Clutch is super light

2.0 MJD Diesel

1. Diesel motor is lot noisier inside the cabin.
2. 2.0 MJD has ample torque to potter around without fuss.
3. Steering felt on the heavier side compared to the Hybrid and brakes not as sharp as the Hybrid version.
4. Clutch was super hard compared to the Hybrid and even compared to the display (diesel) vehicle parked inside the showroom. Test drive vehicle had 1440 kms on the odo. Sales rep went to tell they adjust the clutch during service
5. Suspension felt on the softer side, did hear a few clanks over the broken roads.
6. Gears seem a lot taller than the compass and engine mapping also to be on the softer side which definitely makes you feel it lacks the solid punch which the compass provides.

Another weird thing is the tacho needle which is set to rotate anti-clock wise which feels very weird and distracting (at least to me).

A longer test drive on the highway is awaited.
nkrishnap is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 10:42   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
Took a peek at the upcoming MG showroom here in Trivandrum, Kerala. Looks nearly finished and carries almost the same theme as in other MG showrooms. Couldn't go inside as it was raining and I was in a hurry.
Got these pictures of MG Showroom, Trivandrum, from a friend. Looks neat ! Seems testdrive cars are also available. Will probably check out this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img20190625wa0004.jpg  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img20190625wa0002.jpg  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img20190625wa0000.jpg  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img20190625wa0005.jpg  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img20190625wa0003.jpg  

akhil_rpmlover is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 12:51   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
Got these pictures of MG Showroom, Trivandrum, from a friend. Looks neat ! Seems testdrive cars are also available. Will probably check out this weekend.
Looks like MG is ready to deliver a top notch car buying experience to the buyers. I remember FIAT doing the same with FIAT cafes, the one in Delhi and Pune, ultimately the product and the after sales support has to be good. FIAT faltered on the latter and is almost knocked out of the market. Hope MG doesn’t disappoint.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 14:03   #869
Distinguished - BHPian

I must say, for a showroom that doesnt have the automatic test drive vehicles at hand, getting 200 bookings is fabulous going from an unknown brand. Overall 400 bookings for the state is very good going as well and this is not counting the Trivandrum numbers either.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190625114333.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190625114349.png

Source - MG sales person from the local dealership.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 14:14   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I must say, for a showroom that doesnt have the automatic test drive vehicles at hand, getting 200 bookings is fabulous going from an unknown brand. Overall 400 bookings for the state is very good going as well and this is not counting the Trivandrum numbers either.

Source - MG sales person from the local dealership.

Though I didnt book Hector but I was very interested in booking once prices were disclosed, but after Seltos launch, my interest in Hector is wavering. So IMO, converting these bookings to sale when the prices are announced will be the key to judge the success. Nevertheless MG's marketing as far as creating awareness is concerned has been top notch no doubt.
sandhyab is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks