Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2019, 20:06   #976
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Well, I liked the fact that finally, a non-Indian company has brought its top game to India. It feels so much better than the watered down "engineering prowess" Honda, and the Germans were selling to us; seems like an Apple vs. One Plus game to me.
shobhit.shri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 20:57   #977
BHPian

Correction needed - XUV boot space = 93 L (All 3 rows up) and 702 L (2 Rows up)
superbhikari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 21:10   #978
BHPian

Wow you got to love Competition. Hope this brings some sanity to the pricing of the cars in that segment.

Surprised to see people having questions about the engineering aspects. Is it really not upto the mark (say atleast Mahindra Level).
indian21r is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 21:20   #979
BHPian

Even though I haven't still seen the product in showroom, I am feeling a sense of relief and happiness . More than how the product fares in Indian market in the long run, it is the impact that is empowering choices in consumer's mind and also making the competitors aware that they are in for challenge. Status quo will not continue to be the de-facto state now. The existing manufacturers will be forced to take cue and improve their offerings with decent price lines. Along with MG, if the other new entrant Kia is able to give pricing on similar lines for Seltos. this is going to send a serious message out to the competition and help them out of their slumber offerings.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 21:25   #980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Wow you got to love Competition. Hope this brings some sanity to the pricing of the cars in that segment.

Surprised to see people having questions about the engineering aspects. Is it really not upto the mark (say atleast Mahindra Level).
Don't know what to say.

Last I checked, the GM Captiva was selling at 24 lakh starting price (C140 if someone remembers). Considering this car is half the price (roughly) of last sold Captiva and this car is based on the next generation Captiva platform with Petrol options, with latest generation features, with same Fiat engine as the Compass, why should anyone say no to this package? Don't think they would be foolish to water down the engineering aspects of Captiva. It's time to get greedy rather.

I am not in market for an SUV or else I would not even wait for Seltos and book this immediately.

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2019 at 21:32. Reason: typo
anu21v is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 21:30   #981
BHPian

Please do carefully evaluate the quality of the body work, the moving parts like doors and the boot. The seats and the ergonomics too.

Old 27th June 2019, 21:35   #982
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post

I am not in market of SUV or else I would not even wait for seltos and book this immediately.
Same here mate.
The seltos does nothing for me.
I would, however, wait for the Team-BHP Hector review. They usually point out stuff that other reviewers gladly skip, in effort to keep the manufacturers happy.
Case in point: The Harrier's "outright dangerous" steering.

I'm glad I didnt go for the Harrier. And the niggles and build quality issues are already making their way over to that thread, killing of whatever little interest I had.
simeonovitch is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 21:42   #983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVREVV View Post
The sales rep at MG told me that dealership has about 70% bookings only for DCT with a waiting period of 6-8 weeks
Hope the folks at Tata Motors are reading this! If Harrier had launched with an autobox, it would have found a lot more takers.

Looks like foreign manufacturer knows more about what Indian buyers want than our home grown manufacturer

Regards
Old 27th June 2019, 22:08   #984
Senior - BHPian

We needed someone to do the "Jio" in the car market too and MG has done it with this one product alone. I think this car will be bench marked and keenly observed by the greedy auto industry, who of late have gone overboard with the pricing. Just imagine the plight of the Honda CR-V with it's weedy 1.6L diesel belting out just 120 bhp with an asking price of almost ₹ 40L: MG has set the cat among the pigeons with this feature laden product with it's killer pricing.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 27th June 2019 at 22:11.
Durango Dude is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 22:19   #985
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
We needed someone to do the "Jio" in the car market too and MG has done it with this one product alone. I think this car will be bench marked and keenly observed by the greedy auto industry, who of late have gone overboard with the pricing. Just imagine the plight of the Honda CR-V with it's weedy 1.6L diesel belting out just 120 bhp with an asking price of almost ₹ 40L: MG has set the cat among the pigeons with this feature laden product with it's killer pricing.
Very true. The MG hector is going to badly decimate quite a few of the Suvs too and now SUVs like the CRV and Kodiaq, Tucson, and even the Compass look outclassed by a car which is much lower in price and represents tremendous value for money and has lots of bling factor too. I suspect even the mighty Fortuner will be affected by this! MG has seriously set the cat among the pigeons and it will take down quite a few car models. This along with Kia and the BS6 norms are bound to kill quite a few cars off the Indian market. Expect a bloodbath but the customer will definitely be a winner.

Last edited by Behemoth : 27th June 2019 at 22:30.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 22:42   #986
Senior - BHPian

Harrier is going to bear the brunt of this attack. Tata are yet to realize that a Diesel AT + Panoramic Sunroof is required in this day and age.

Seltos / Kia will still sell BECAUSE they are small. (Urban Use)

CRV/ Tuscon ... even they will be affected somewhat. ( You can buy 2 Hectors for the price of one CRV)

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th June 2019 at 08:51. Reason: affected
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 23:07   #987
BHPian

Brilliant pricing by MG which shows clear intent. I don't think it will affect Creta but yes it can stunt the growth of Harrier. Nevertheless Harrier can be improved and time will tell . Though Compass prices are high FCA again gains something I guess by selling their engines to MG and Tata.

Hopefully MG cars turn out to be reliable machines despite having lots of electronic gizmos. With this price and warranty offers + marketing costs I m sure they will lose money per car but that s typical of Chinese companies with truck loads of cash,they will price it sweet long enough to get the market hooked and then start milking.
Old 27th June 2019, 23:15   #988
BHPian

Brilliant pricing strategy by MG. Even though I personally will not take risks on this brand as of now, this pricing will keep a check on the competition. Hope Tata launches the Harrier Diesel Automatic at a good price now.
Old 27th June 2019, 23:44   #989
BHPian

Introductory pricing/packages or not, I am happy MG brought their A game unlike some global brands, who took indian market for granted and gave step-motherly treatment even though they are here for decades. Shows that MG take Indian market seriously, sad that this is happening when the car market is at a cool-off stage, hopefully the new players can fire things up.
Old 27th June 2019, 23:49   #990
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant pricing by MG for the Hector. Price, Warranty, Service Package, Buy Back Guarantee and RSA nails it.

Creta and Harrier will certainly face some heat and I believe Compass would not be affected much as the buying crowd is slightly different for the Compass. But that does not take away the fact that Jeep Compass is still overpriced by a good 8 to 10%.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks