Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2019, 23:52   #991
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

A great pricing by MG. It sets the cat among this segment with killer pricing and fully loaded features along with bling factor. Kia has its work cut out now after such an aggressive move by MG. The unlimited 5 year warranty offered by them reposts the faith they have in their engineering and the customer satisfaction they want to achieve. The first to take hit from MG would be Compass followed by Harrier. What value Jeep brings over the hector now apart from the 4x4 models which is priced way steep and belong to the segment above. Good job MG hope you keep your full commitment to Indian market for long times to come.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th June 2019 at 08:53. Reason: typo
rajamuneeb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 00:08   #992
BHPian

Kya baat!!Kya baat!!Kya baat!!
MG deserves a standing ovation for what it’s set to bring forward in the Indian automobile industry- ‘A revolution’. When has it been that a car is launched with nearly 75% of the TBHP members admiring the competitive price point its launched at. Just not that, IMO, MG has actually hit the nail on the head by understanding the pulse of the ‘mango people’ by giving the creature features like panoramic sunroof, voice control features, large touchscreen et all. How many of the masses get into the refinement or performance part of the vehicle. We are talking about a country where there are hardly enough roads to test the top speed handling of a vehicle. Therefore if we consider that the automobiles these days are more for a point A to point B commute, then MG will definitely reap the benefits for making that commute a feature laden and comfortable one. If I talk about my choice, I was waiting for a mid size pseudo suv with a panoramic sunroof, voice control and connect ability feature and most importantly a diesel AT. Except for the last, MG Hector ticks all the other boxes. So I think it deserves a thorough test drive and contemplation over a weekend or two and maybe also think about the petrol DCT option considering the price difference of petrol/diesel these days.
I also feel that this is a step in the right direction for our industry as it will make other manufacturers pay attention towards providing more feature rich Car's
isldhn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 00:13   #993
BHPian

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I saw the prices and went "Wow". But I thought I'd rather wait a generation or two before buying a product from a completely unknown brand. Two stories came to mind.

1. Hyundai USA - launched with much fanfare in the mid 1980s - Hyundai sold a lot of Excels. Within a year, people came to know that they were just rubbish. It took 15 years of hard work for Hyundai to build a reputation.

2. LeEco - A couple years ago a Chinese brand entered India with cell phones and TVs and their own streaming platform and what not. They didn't pay their vendors and then just disappeared almost overnight.

So perhaps excitement should be tempered. I'd trust a Tata over an MG for now. Who knows, this might change once MG earns it spurs.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 00:25   #994
BHPian

Well, I test drove and booked Hector a week ago and here's what I found:

Pros:
  1. Solid metal all around, doors heavier than Skoda
  2. Hybrid engine is breeze to drive in city condition, 48v battery is a boon in city traffic. I picked up car in 3 gear at 900rpm
  3. Comfortable front seats with enough bolstering
  4. Voice commands better than what I was expecting
  5. Appropriate dimensions IMO, Harrier was too wide for my liking.
  6. Powerful AC
  7. Commanding driving position
  8. Total VFM considering price and features
  9. Steering was extremely light at crawling speed
  10. Body roll is well maintained for it's size
  11. Great NVH levels on Petrol
  12. Extremely smooth gearbox

Cons:
  1. Test car had uneven panel gaps. Though, showroom guy said it'll be fixed in final version
  2. Need to check if steering weights up at highway speed
  3. Hard Plastic on dashboard was very cheap, so was the leather on steering
  4. A little jittery clutch on diesel

To conclude, the car is not meant for an enthusiast but for comfortable driving.

if you are looking for everyday office drive and eventual highway drives then petrol hybrid is the car for you

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th June 2019 at 08:50. Reason: fixed typos and please use you not u
hiren.sharma is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 00:29   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
I also feel that this is a step in the right direction for our industry as it will make other manufacturers pay attention towards providing more feature rich Car's
Slowly and surely, automobiles are becoming appliances, pure and simple. I know that 99% of the market will not care, but us remaining 1% will.
AbhiJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 00:35   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Slowly and surely, automobiles are becoming appliances, pure and simple. I know that 99% of the market will not care, but us remaining 1% will.
I know what you mean buddy, but believe me, nothing would feel as right as you getting into a ‘cooled’ car on a hot afternoon especially if you are not being chauffeured:-)
isldhn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 00:57   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
I know what you mean buddy, but believe me, nothing would feel as right as you getting into a ‘cooled’ car on a hot afternoon especially if you are not being chauffeured:-)
Call me an opinionated idiot but I hate the remote start + AC feature. I've seen people use it liberally in the Middle East by keeping their cars running for 20-30 minutes and even then I used to think what are we doing to the environment? The people I spoke with used to counter with the fact that fuel is cheaper than water.

We can't even use that reason in India. I understand it's a nifty feature and a welcome creature comfort but somehow I won't be at ease using it. If MG has managed to do the remote start only using the electric motor then it's fine, but otherwise it's terrible for the environment

/rant over
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 01:36   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post

2. LeEco - A couple years ago a Chinese brand entered India with cell phones and TVs and their own streaming platform and what not. They didn't pay their vendors and then just disappeared almost overnight.

So perhaps excitement should be tempered. I'd trust a Tata over an MG for now. Who knows, this might change once MG earns it spurs.
Imo its a bad comparison because even if MG is new to India its a pretty big brand in China, a more apt comparison would be Huawei launch in India. Also mobile launches don't take money, but setting up a factory and selling a car takes pretty decent amount of money, in this case I believe its in the range of 2000 crore as far as I remember reading.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th June 2019 at 08:49. Reason: please don't use acronyms like afair. these aren't common. thanks.
sandhyab is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 02:47   #999
Senior - BHPian

Got an opportunity to have a quick look at 2.0 Diesel sharp. I was looking for Chinese lettings in the engine bay. The dual fan assembly had Chinese stickers. Turbo is Honeywell. Also found multiple Bosch products and Mopar. Intercooler had MG stickers. Battery was Exide. Tyre changing kit was not having Chinese stickers. The size of tires was not propotionate enough to complement the overall astetics. Plastic is average.

Good legspace in back. Eletric open/close tailgate,heated RVM, infinity music system, 360 camera, eletric front seats,panoramic sunroof,front and back sensors, what more?

Last edited by foby.sebastian : 28th June 2019 at 02:55.
foby.sebastian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 06:16   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Who gives a 32 page book to prospective customers! I'd be lucky to get a Xerox/B/W leaflet at Hyundai. MG is doing everything 'King-Style'. The way they are splurging money, on all accounts, this is a Company that is determined to stay!
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img_98871.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 28th June 2019 at 06:19.
Sebring is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 06:17   #1001
BHPian

Excellent pricing. Hope Jeep does something to reduce their prices and bring in a 4x2 automatic to lower models as well.
Hector is a big car for many. Seems too bulky and top heavy with no sporty stance compared to xuv500.
Anyways going to check out one in the showroom.
Old 28th June 2019, 06:41   #1002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I saw the prices and went "Wow". But I thought I'd rather wait a generation or two before buying a product from a completely unknown brand.
Always better to wait for at least the 2nd batch of cars.

And this story came to my mind

Tata Harrier : Official Review
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4588672 (Tata Harrier : Official Review)

"What you won't:

• Feels like a work-in-process beta version. Several rough areas are yet to be sorted out
• Concerns over niggles & long-term reliability. Our test cars had many problems
• Nervous steering at 100+ km/h…too light, too sensitive. Needs tuning
• Service visit every 6 months / 7500 km (12-months is the norm today)"

"Tata is offering a standard warranty of 2 years / unlimited km, which can be extended to 4 years / 130,000 km. We strongly recommend this warranty extension as brand-new Tata cars are known to suffer niggles. Heck, both our test Harriers had multiple problems! We're disappointed that the warranty cannot be extended to 5 years as that's pretty much the industry standard now (some manufacturers offer coverage for up to 7 years!)."

Quote:
Really?
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 07:00   #1003
Senior - BHPian

While MG has made the right start with the Hector, you got to wait and watch in terms of product quality and reliability. If I was to buy a Hector, I would surely wait.

And I think the Harrier 2.0 is not far away. Tata must be working thru the nights to ensure the 2.0 version with the Auto and some fancy gimmicks such as the Sun roof etc would be available as early as possible. They could also revamp the features in the variants, just like how the compass reacted with the sport plus.

Just my personal view, I would request potential buyers to look at the Hector without giving undue importance to the HU. Look at it as a Car, and buy it if you see it doing the fundamentals right.
The HU and the connectivity part is great to have, but should not be the main reason of buying the car.
motorworks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 08:05   #1004
BHPian

IMO, temper your excitement and wait for a year before you buy. It's a new product, from an unknown company (in India). Let their cars run on our roads for a year, post completion of 20/50,000 KMS of our Indian public usage, if the car delivers as promised, definitely buy it. But plonking 20 lakhs on it now? Doesn't seem very prudent.
Old 28th June 2019, 08:20   #1005
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.sharma View Post
[*]Voice commands better than what I was expecting
Thanks for the sharing, really impressed with this connected car. Which voice command have you checked? Heard that the MG Hector offer a long list of commands including
  • Radio control
  • Screen adjustment control
  • Audio system control
  • Sunroof control
  • Window control
  • AC Control
  • Music Playing System
  • Navigation Function Control
  • Dial/Phone Control

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th June 2019 at 08:52. Reason: typo fixed
Closed Thread

Most Viewed