Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2019, 07:51   #1306
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Thanks for the photos, something looks odd about the Kodiaq, it looks like a stretch limousine. Perhaps the aspect ratio of this photo got accidentally altered when uploaded to team-bhp?
Old 18th July 2019, 11:50   #1307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Thanks for the photos, something looks odd about the Kodiaq, it looks like a stretch limousine. Perhaps the aspect ratio of this photo got accidentally altered when uploaded to team-bhp?
If the aspect ratio gets changed, it will also affect the Hector and not just the Kodiaq

Anyway, to answer your question, the Kodiaq is 4697 mm and the Hector is 4655 mm, also if you notice it's not parked in a straight line hence the look
Old 18th July 2019, 11:59   #1308
Distinguished - BHPian

Hector bookings stalled temporarily. Demand outstrips all expectations.

Bookings cross 20,000+ in 45 days since opening. Petrol variant in demand.

The production for 2019 is already sold out, M G is ramping up capacity to 3000 units per month.

Quote:
the decision to halt the bookings temporarily keeping in mind the company’s commitment to customer satisfaction.
Quote:
The top 2 variants – Smart & Sharp are seeing the highest demand, with over 50% reservations for the petrol variants.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th July 2019 at 12:02.
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 12:05   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
18 kmpl on my TD trip 2 and trip 1 (sorry no photo) had around 350+ kms and it was also 18 kmpl, for such a huge vehicle that number is really good if it actually correct.
It's not 18 kmpl but rather its 18 kmpH i.e. average speed.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 12:11   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
It's not 18 kmpl but rather its 18 kmpH i.e. average speed.
Damn my eyes, this is what happens when you have -4.5 cyl. I posted the petrol mileage a few weeks ago, that is L and not H, but also Low

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4616485 (MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L)
Old 18th July 2019, 12:58   #1311
Senior - BHPian

I just comprehend the fact Hector bookings have skyrocketed and it’s closed for 2019. While the market slump in the sales are evident based on the reports, SUV segment is absolutely booming for both customers and companies I feel. Yesterday, they reported Seltos clocked 6k bookings in a single day. Where were these customers all this while or were they saving up all these months for Hector & Seltos

Harrier didn’t see this response unfortunately. But has settled down. Creta is continuing its success which will be superseded by the new entrants now Hector & Seltos.
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 13:00   #1312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
I just comprehend the fact Hector bookings have skyrocketed and it’s closed for 2019. While the market slump in the sales are evident based on the reports, SUV segment is absolutely booming for both customers and companies I feel. Yesterday, they reported Seltos clocked 6k bookings in a single day. Where were these customers all this while or were they saving up all these months for Hector & Seltos

Issue I have with the "Bookings" is that is there any 3rd party who validates/audits these "Bookings"?

Where is the proof?
payeng is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 13:05   #1313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Issue I have with the "Bookings" is that is there any 3rd party who validates/audits these "Bookings"?

Where is the proof?
It’s all over the Internet. Attaching a link here from the article.

As for the audit proof, I’m not sure. But, all the major media’s have reported. Could be a bloated information too but it all depends on the company information that rolls out.
Old 18th July 2019, 13:17   #1314
BHPian

On the contrary, if it is indeed a bloated number what could MG potentially gain by closing the bookings? Wouldn't it be safe to assume it is in the best interests of MG to keep the bookings open considering Seltos is gaining a huge traction with their bookings on a daily basis? Every day the booking remains closed, they are losing customers to Kia and competition.
GearHeadGarage is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 13:37   #1315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post

Harrier didn’t see this response unfortunately. But has settled down. Creta is continuing its success which will be superseded by the new entrants now Hector & Seltos.

I have been looking for a replacement for my SX4 D for some time now. when i bought it way back in 2011 i got the ZDI fabric variant for 9.3 lacs odd.

I dont like the 4m suv segment so all of them were ruled out and my family didnt want to shell out over 12 lacs for a top end c segment petrol sedan. Not at all vfm as per my family.

So just for the sake of buying a new car I was leaning towards Dzire petrol as my SX4 is no longer good/fun to drive. It feels heavy to drive and the engine growls. After my experience with Tata Aria I ruled out Harrier as well. Dont like XUV500 and Creta. I wasn't even looking at Hector until a day before its price reveal as I didnt expect such mouth watering prices that also seem Justified. Hopefully KIA will also price Seltos competitively.

MG have opened up a segment for people like me who were looking for a car but weren't buying due to lack of VFM luxurious vehicles in 12L+ bracket available in petrol. That said I am seriously considering Hector but yet to book even though the petrol base variant which I want is readily available. Just waiting for some 3 odd months to pass.
psbali is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 13:48   #1316
Senior - BHPian

KIA's pricing will be influenced by Hyundai, they have a tough choice. MG is presenting a superior vehicle to Indian customers at an attractive price.
Old 18th July 2019, 13:50   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadGarage View Post
On the contrary, if it is indeed a bloated number what could MG potentially gain by closing the bookings? Wouldn't it be safe to assume it is in the best interests of MG to keep the bookings open considering Seltos is gaining a huge traction with their bookings on a daily basis? Every day the booking remains closed, they are losing customers to Kia and competition.

Not sure about their thinking and I do not have many examples, but in 2013 even Ford closed bookings for ecosports since the wait period went to 8 months
Old 18th July 2019, 13:58   #1318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post

Where is the proof?
Many prospects make provisional 'pre-booking' before TD or announcement of prices. I did that for XUV5OO and got one from the first batch. Before Amaze launched, I pre-booked it as replacement of my second car Viva CRDi, however cancelled the booking after the launch and a short TD, later bought Nexon instead.

BTW, when I got my XUV in Oct 2011, same week, atleast 5 people approached me to buy my brand new XUV instantly by paying a cash premium. I warned the sales guy not to give my contacts/address to anyone. At petrol pump too a few guys approached me.

I am sure there will be a many cancellations of Hector when Seltos is launched, and when real user feedback for Hector is available (FE, Niggles/reliability, service center experience etc)
Pulse500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 16:35   #1319
BHPian

I feel this is just another marketing gimmick...

Will this work ....

errr... No if you ask me,

With the advent of new models and growing impatience, no buyer is willing to wait long for his car / purchase delivery.

So why exactly did MG (just a day after Seltos Booking numbers) decide to stock out their models for 2019 ??

Well not too tough to guess, just to prevent customers from deviating to Kia Seltos.
When its easily available one thinks "Ah, I can buy this anytime, let me wait for xx yy occasion (e.g: let the monsoon season go or during festive season)
However, if there are restrictions, one needs to buy it sooner than ever.

Historically, June & July months are known to be the lean seasons of car sales owing to monsoon (one doesn't want to get a dent due to the erratic driving or risky 2 wheelers ), so MG pulls the rabbit out of the hat and declares booking closure..& they get the much desired numbers in July

I feel, MG had planned this strategy when Kia announced their launch / showcasing right after MG events

A colleague's neighbor bought a Hector and within a week faced engine seizure.
He's dropped the vehicle at the service center
(& for those thinking if he drove through water in this monsoon season - No he didn't)

I've also heard of multiple steering lock issues cropping up in MID (one's similar to the vehicle unveiling day)

Last edited by FIAT3031 : 18th July 2019 at 16:38. Reason: Grammatical Error
FIAT3031 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 17:08   #1320
Team-BHP Support

If this is a marketing ploy by MG, it's not a very good one. The guy who came up with this idea needs a reality check.

With Seltos around the corner only a fool would stop further bookings and let people move to Kia and book Seltos or Harrier.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 18th July 2019 at 17:30.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed