Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2019, 20:40   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
If that is so, then wonder why are they shooting the commercial in good ol' London (instead of maybe shooting here in India itself) and that too having an actor (Benedict Cumberbatch) at the helm who has hardly any Indian connection or mass appeal to say the least! Just being Sherlock and showing-off being a Brit (if that's the intent,Morris Garages play here?) may not cut the required slack, IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
They've been playing the British marquee angle since the first teaser, and will probably use it as their USP in a crowded segment.
Exactly! A lot of us realised that MG stood for “Morris Garages” only thanks to the advertising blitz that marked their entry into the India market. Getting a quintessentially Brit celebrity like Cumberbatch to endorse the brand may just be the ticket.

It’s not a bad strategy at all especially considering JLR doesn’t make any sort of attempt to position themselves as different from the Germans and as a result their sales languish in the “home” country. Good luck to MG.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 21:01   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...If that is so, then wonder why are they shooting the commercial in good ol' London (instead of maybe shooting here in India itself) and that too having an actor (Benedict Cumberbatch) at the helm who has hardly any Indian connection or mass appeal to say the least! Just being Sherlock and showing-off being a Brit (if that's the intent,Morris Garages play here?) may not cut the required slack, IMHO...
I dont see anything wrong in shooting abroad if they can manage a good ad. They probably have hired international agencies for ensuring a top class marketing - that'd be brilliant as this might be a make or break for the brand. Makes me think they are not cutting edges to announce their arrival.

Micromax had Hugh Jackman endorsing the product. I could never see a relevance for a Hollywood actor to endorse budget products. Apparently that gave Micromax an unexpected positive push to get the products off-the-shelves. Guess some of our logic is not what works in reality.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th March 2019 at 21:02.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 21:54   #123
BHPian

I liked Hector's design, the front looks much better than Harrier, looks to have a class attached to it.
The rear doors seems to a lift and shift from prev gen Audi Q7.

Last edited by ajmat : 18th March 2019 at 10:26. Reason: typo
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 23:06   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowardly Lion View Post
Wagon R, Dzire immediately come to mind.... No offense meant here but.. In India price might be key. Not many hv heard of Morris's Brit pedigree...
Dzire is not really "desirable" is it? Yes it sells, but based on it's other merits like maruti's strong brand value, can't imagine a Chinese mg doing that off the bat. If they launched a highly desirable car first time around, may be an ugly Chinese santro equivalent could sell.
Old 18th March 2019, 10:36   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
They've been playing the British marquee angle since the first teaser, and will probably use it as their USP in a crowded segment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Getting a quintessentially Brit celebrity like Cumberbatch to endorse the brand may just be the ticket.
Maybe you are right since MG is starting afresh in India and they have only the British legacy to live upto, in order to start here on a differentiated note (a school of thought says they are very late to enter the market but that context's for a different day).

And that is what Pallavi Singh (Head Of Marketing at MGI) also says when MGI debuted its ad campaign for India last year:-
Quote:
MG is an international brand at the end of the day. Of course, when it comes to pillars like communication, products and services we are going to bring a differentiated and unique brand experience to India, crafted for India and Indian audiences; but at the core, we remain an iconic British brand which has a 93-year legacy along with futuristic innovations, in the present scenario
Source

My point of view, however, is about having more affinity towards something which has more Indian-ness around it.
To my pleasant surprise (for my previous observation that they are not going local), I came across this brilliant campaign, titled "#MGCangemakers", wherein MGI (via partners) has recognized some of India's women changemakers through a campaign that uses human storytelling reflecting the brand's intent, larger purpose and value system for the Indian market

And looks like, they got a nice award too, for the campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
They probably have hired international agencies for ensuring a top class marketing - that'd be brilliant as this might be a make or break for the brand. Makes me think they are not cutting edges to announce their arrival.
Yes, they have hired Happy mcgarrybowen India, the same guys who work extensively with Flipkart (featuring the Big Billion Days)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Micromax had Hugh Jackman endorsing the product. I could never see a relevance for a Hollywood actor to endorse budget products. Apparently that gave Micromax an unexpected positive push to get the products off-the-shelves. Guess some of our logic is not what works in reality.
Yes, I tend to agree with you and I guess the context of Hugh Jackman endorsing a Micromax phone is different from that of Benedict Cumberbatch endorsing a MG car for Indian audiences
Reason being, in my view, the endorsers (Jackman and Cumberbatch) are from 2 different leagues in the international circuit. One a very famous Hollywood international star and the other, well, not that famous maybe.

The raison detre for Micromax's signing of Jackman was they wanted to enhance the aspirational profile or quotient of their target audiences in addition to distinguishing itself from the competition.

However, for MG, the endorsement of Cumberbatch is probably, in my view again, only to reinforce the Being British part with a suave Sherlock style.

Last edited by JoshMachine : 18th March 2019 at 10:37.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 12:32   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
MG Hector clear images out! Spied during TV commercial shooting.

Source: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ics-out-411972
To me, this car looks like a BR-V that missed all its leg days.

The puny wheels and wheel wells are an eye sore w.r.t. the bulky top half of the design.

I would not call it dead on arrival as there would be various other factors that contribute to a product's success or failure.
prashant316 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 02:34   #127
BHPian

This one explain features of wuling almaz (mg hector) in detail, notice this one has different headlights than what we see in the leaked images

sreejinair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 05:53   #128
BHPian

MG Hector road testing continues,
spotted near its production site [ Video ]

Last edited by JS Kwt : 19th March 2019 at 06:01.
JS Kwt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 10:09   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
MG Hector clear images out! Spied during TV commercial shooting.

Source: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ics-out-411972
The rear really is a tad non cohesive as pointed out by other members too. It reminds me somewhat of the Tata Aria and to a lesser extent the Tata Hexa especially from the rear 3/4th proportions.
Overall it might still be an interesting package if MG is able to provide quality fit and finish and the feature list quoted in erstwhile declarations.
docprashant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 11:38   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Just being Sherlock and showing-off being a Brit (if that's the intent,Morris Garages play here?) may not cut the required slack, IMHO.
Quote:
However, for MG, the endorsement of Cumberbatch is probably, in my view again, only to reinforce the Being British part with a suave Sherlock style.

Forgetting Dr. Strange are we?!

British and Sherlock Holmes connection would be grasped by some of us, but IMO Cumberbatch would be more recognised nowadays by the general Indian public as Dr. Strange from the Marvel movies.

Brought back this deliciously British Jaguar ad to mind featuring Sir Ben Kingsley, Mark Strong and Tom Hiddleston -

FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 01:43   #131
BHPian

Can anybody find out about safety ratings for this car, I couldnt find anything for Wuling Almaz, Chevrolet Captiva nor for Baojun 530
Old 20th March 2019, 10:54   #132

If ugly cars don't sell, how do you explain Ritz, Eeco, Indica, Xylo numbers (at different times though)? In India what matters is badge, pricing and fuel efficiency. If Maruti launches even a dabba with four wheels and an engine in the market, it will sell, at least initially. Looks (subjective again) and safety aren't primary concerns.
Old 20th March 2019, 10:58   #133
Team-BHP Support

Just got this press release

Quote:
Marque carmaker MG (Morris Garages) India today
announced its association with the revered British actor Benedict Cumberbatch as its
brand ambassador. The acclaimed actor – known for his stellar roles in various
popular TV shows and movies will be the face of MG India.

Benedict Cumberbatch commented on the association with MG brand, “I have grown
up seeing and reading about MGB’s and MG Midgets, recognising MG as a classic
and iconic brand. I am delighted to be part of the launch of the new MG in India with
the MG Hector, which may well be a classic of the future.”

Rajeev Chaba, Managing Director and CEO, MG India, said, “As one of the most
recognised and beloved cultural icons from the UK, Benedict has a lot in common
with Morris Garages. He has, throughout his career, experimented with various types
of roles across stage productions, TV shows and movies to push the bar ever higher,
something which resonates with MG’s commitment to technological innovation. His
social and philanthropic work, as well as his support for inclusivity beyond gender is
also in sync with our core brand ideology of nurturing diversity. We are glad to have
Benedict Cumberbatch as our brand ambassador to represent MG.”

Benedict Cumberbatch follows a strong resonance among pop culture and youth.
The association further underlines MG’s unique British heritage and its focus on
enabling the future with the core pillars of innovation, diversity and technology.

Last edited by ajmat : 20th March 2019 at 12:12.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 12:20   #134
BHPian

The MG Hector package does look really tempting. I know there are a lot of people saying its 'chinese'. In my experience chinese doesn't mean bad, almost all good products are made in china. It is just that new entrants will have difficult time to penetrate the market. The Jeep Compass did the same properly but later their momentum just faded out. They still haven't launched the diesel automatic (despite the demand) and no new cars under the Jeep banner. So basically, its their own doing.
I hope MG doesn't disappoint. I really hope they launch the diesel automatic from the start itself (unlike the Harrier's disappointment)
This is coming from a prospective buyer who wants a decent luxury SUV in diesel automatic and have been waiting for almost 2 years to find a good one. If not then I'll just up my budget and get a pre-worshipped X1 Msport
Old 20th March 2019, 12:25   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
This is coming from a prospective buyer who wants a decent luxury SUV in diesel automatic and have been waiting for almost 2 years to find a good one. If not then I'll just up my budget and get a pre-worshipped X1 Msport
Why dont you buy the Hyundai Tucson, it has everything and more compared to the MG Hector and if I am not wrong its the fastest SUV under 40 lacs (on road price Maharashtra)

Last edited by sreejinair : 20th March 2019 at 12:40.
sreejinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed