Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2019, 19:55   #1381
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

One of my friends intends to book one when MG opens bookings again. I asked him why he is taking such a big risk of buying a vehicle that is not proven. He said because he wanted to be one of the first to own it in his apartment community. It almost felt like seeing a teen attracted to the latest phone, except we are almost 40.

It sounds crazy but as long as people are lining up to shell out 15-20L on cars that have never hit the road just for the ‘wow’ factor then auto makers can get away with all the marketing gimmicks I guess
Old 20th July 2019, 20:11   #1382
BHPian

Meanwhile, people have started listing early bookings in OLX for margins. Last time I have noticed these ads was when the 2nd gen Swift launched back in 2012.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-1.png
akhil_rpmlover is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 20:52   #1383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
When you look at the right side of the car it looks good, go to the left side and man those panel gaps suddenly become huge. Wonder why the same panel gap is not there on the left side of the car. One or two are fine but I saw too many having the same issue.

So basically the car looks different from two different sides, I am not ok with that. I recently saw a Kodiaq in the Skoda showroom with panel gaps, I am fine with that as both the sides were consistent. Same with many other cars ranging from 5 to 50 lacs.
I noticed the same today at Chennai OMR showroom. The left panel gap is huge compared to right in both the display cars.
diwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 22:57   #1384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
Meanwhile, people have started listing early bookings in OLX for margins. Last time I have noticed these ads was when the 2nd gen Swift launched back in 2012.

Attachment 1896559
Both of them say 0km, are they planning to carry the car on their back from the production line? First one's pic seems to be straight off the internet!

MG has proved that people don't go to Hyundai/Maruti based on just herd mentality, good product and service will always have takers. Hopefully MG proves itself in the long run.
giri1.8 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 23:52   #1385
BHPian

MG kindof keeping the hype alive with these gimmcky marketing tactics. Who knows maybe that is what is needed in this “internet” generation.

Hopefully they can back the marketing hype with solid product. Eagerly waiting for official review.

Folks comparing it to Xiaomi/One+, the reason for their success I would say was not the flash sale but the VFM offering and better quality at that price point.
SideView is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 00:04   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Folks comparing it to Xiaomi/One+, the reason for their success I would say was not the flash sale but the VFM offering and better quality at that price point.
MG is providing better features at that price point, not quality. If their showroom cars are this pathetic, when it comes to quality. The customer vehicles might be worse.
Old 21st July 2019, 00:11   #1387
Distinguished - BHPian

Exclusive: MG Hector Petrol DCT Automatic reviewed!

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img_20190721_001150.jpg

Quote:
Slot the lever into D and the Hector takes off smoothy with the creep function coming handy for start-stop traffic. Once on the move, upshifts are smooth and the big (its the longest SUV, remember?) MG goes about commuting in a very effortless manner. This combined with the light steering and plush suspension makes the Hector DCT one hell of a city commuter. In a mix of slow rush hour traffic and open roads that saw our average speeds of just under 20km/h, the onboard displayed showed an economy of 11.5 kmpl. Not bad at all, eh?

However, when you want to get going fast or close in on gaps, the set-up disappoints. I was expecting the DCT (being a dual-clutch) to be fairly responsive but that isn’t the case. Even Mayank, the owner, voiced the same opinion. Pedal to metal, the ‘box takes it sweet time understanding what to do and by then you have lost a second or two. The only way to get around this to slot the lever to the right and take manual control of the transmission. This way its much better (and quicker) and once on the boil, the 1.5-litre does response well with all its horses. This being a brand new car with under 1000 km on the odo, we didn’t subject it to acceleration or top speed runs yet. However, Mayank says his recent 500km drive to Dehradun from Delhi saw him hit 120 km/h a few times with confidence.
Source:
https://www.cartoq.com/exclusive-mg-...atic-reviewed/
Dr.Naren is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 02:14   #1388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Exclusive: MG Hector Petrol DCT Automatic reviewed!

Source:
https://www.cartoq.com/exclusive-mg-...atic-reviewed/
Dont go by the paid reviews, anyone who doesnt mention LAG in the hector DCT must be a paid review. Wait for the t-bhp review
Old 21st July 2019, 07:05   #1389
BANNED

Quote:
Dont go by the paid reviews, anyone who doesnt mention LAG in the hector DCT must be a paid review. Wait for the t-bhp review
Let me add my agreement to it. I was skeptical that maybe I did something wrong in my previous TD and hence TDed the petrol Hector again; the impression got worse
I would not want to be behind the wheel of a Hector petrol in the city confines or a uphill route with traffic!
Old 21st July 2019, 08:15   #1390
BHPian

Quote:
I guess you missed the LAG part. Do read the driving part again.
Calling a review by a journalist paid without thinking twice or checking the credentials seems biased and unwanted. This wasn't a media Hector but a car we took from a friend.
Hope you don't label journalists with such words in the future. Peace
BunnyPunia is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 09:23   #1391

Personally I am surprised at the feature list of these new cars. The highlights of all new launches are unimaginative things like bigger touchscreens, more lights, internet, remote controls, etc. Everyone knows how most such features can be added on to existing cars using third party products, sometimes even better than the OEM ones.
IMHO, Cars are mechanical equipments and as such, the primary USP of any one of them should be a mechanical innovation. Otherwise, we will be left with the cars of yesterday fitted with the mobile tech of tomorrow.
meetraghav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 10:06   #1392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dont go by the paid reviews, anyone who doesnt mention LAG in the hector DCT must be a paid review.
Do read the review again , you have the answer . There should be little LAG while reading the reviews and control the turbo kick while pointing at others.

Cheers!
Dr.Naren is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 10:21   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
I guess you missed the LAG part. Do read the driving part again.
Calling a review by a journalist paid without thinking twice or checking the credentials seems biased and unwanted.
I am seeing new checkpoints in this thread, panel gaps, fuel efficiency, repeatedly using the word Chinese, lag, plastic quality, rumours of engine seizure and steering lock etc. There are many other brands which have quality issues, only few members brought out those issues. The repeated use of word 'cheap chinese' looks baseless. The fuel efficiency of a petrol car cannot be calculated overnight, it takes lot of patience to find the correct value. The lag depends on your driving skills, a car can be driven in different manners by different people.

Guna, I have spent lot of time in labs measuring the bearing efficiency in a turbocharger. My feeling is, TD a car with open mind, forget what others found, spoke or heard. The negative thoughts can influence your natural instincts.

Last edited by deehunk : 21st July 2019 at 10:47.
deehunk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 10:27   #1394
BHPian

I did manage to check out the car in its skin and did go for a test in Bangalore. Though not sold by the the curvaceous looks of the car, the interior does seem made to look as per the new trend. Stepped in to check it out and boy, was it a disappointment!
Quality levels are nothing great and the cabin did have rattles while going over poor sections of road. The SA tried to "convince" me saying that test vehicles are not as well built as a freshly delivered vehicle!
He also admitted that many bookings were cancelled due to the threat from the upcoming Seltos.
He advised me to look at other options when I tried to enthusiastically push the vehicle, admitting that it isn't really a driver oriented car!
Kia couldn't come at a better time! I'm definitely looking forward to it!
advenk999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 10:33   #1395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The lag depends on your driving skills, a car can be driven in different manners by different people.
While the skill level of the drivers matter and some drivers may be able to 'manage' well, the 'Lag' is turbo cars is a 'Real' thing. It is inherent to the way the turbo engine works. But in some engines, it is more obvious and in some other, it is masked to an extent, depending on the tuning and the engine/turbo characteristics.
Guna is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks