Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:49   #1426
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Make sure you park away from the coconut trees!
Keeping it clean from the pigeon/crow droppings will be another challenge .
Guna is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 14:39   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreejith V View Post
I am waiting for the launch of Seltos to take a decision on my next road companion. My kids are going 'gaga' over the panoramic sunroof they have seen in Hector. But I am bit skeptical about it. I know that this add some sophisticated parts to your car, but more concerning for me is a question in my mind 'whether the panoramic sunroof compromises on the rigidity of the vehicle?'

Can anybody put some light on my concern?
Please don't spend any extra money on sun roof. The number of times that you may open the sunroof will be a lot lesser after the novelty wears off.

From my personal experience in USA, I was hunting for a used car with sun roof and rejected many good ones just because they didn't have a one. I ended up buying a Nissan Maxima which had sun/moon roof, but after 6 months I forgot the car even had a sun roof and rarely used it. The next car I had was an Acura MDX which came with a default sun/moon roof, same experience with that as well.

Below are my personal observations.

1. The panoramic view is awesome, no question about that. The passengers will enjoy it more than you.

2. Not everyone will let you open the sunroof always, especially if there are people who worry too much about their complexion, wind etc.Yes, you will get hit from sun directly.

3. A/C effectiveness - will be less if the curtains are open.

4. Dust/Pollution - I can't imagine opening sun roof in Bangalore ever. You would need a detailing every time you go out.

5.Other risks - Coconuts, Bird droppings and even Vandalism.

6. Sun roof has a tendency to leak over long term, and causing rust on the top frame.

Ideally, I believe sun roof is not much suited for our country. But no harm in having it.
Superleggera is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 14:42   #1428
BHPian

Another comparo from Motor Octane and also short review of the DCT.
AGwagon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 15:08   #1429
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the detailed note!

We recently bought a Compass ltd+ and when my family saw the Hector in flesh, felt a little disappointed and had the opinion that we should have waited a while. Surprisingly, they did not feel the same about the Harrier.

The Hector strikes the right cords having everything that a family would get excited about and I have no doubt that it will sell a lot more than the Compass or the Harrier.

I took a test drive of the mild-hybrid variant and came back was rather underwhelmed. The Compass feels much tighter, a lot more connected and punchier in comparison.

Had the Hector been around 3 months ago, I'd have missed owning a Compass. But as someone who now drives the Compass every day, I, personally, am happy with the way things turned out!
clementj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 15:40   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Another comparo from Motor Octane and also short review of the DCT.
Sorry mods couldn't edit my last post.

From what I know of Motor Octane, a number of times they do not have correct information and are not very well researched and the reviews generally carry a personal preference bias of the reviewer.
  1. We know that the SMART version does have all the connectivity features and also the 10.4inch screen, not sure what MO is talking about.
  2. Also we know that hector may not be the widest, but will easily seat 3. MO in their other reviews found Venue to be able to decently seat 3
  3. Both cars have space under the boot floor (in the 5 seat versions)
  4. most of us would agree that the Harrier is coarser to drive in Diesel and doesn't have a great steering feel, gearbox is also not as smooth
  5. the pricing difference between the two is much higher if you compare spec to spec
  6. the ride in both is not as mature as say a Compass, both have a softer setup

In btw they already have done the full DCT review and will be releasing the video soon.

Just to clarify, I now have both cars Hector DCT Sharp and Seltos GT DCT on booking and still waiting for Seltos to announce the variants and have show & test drive cars available after 3rd to make a decision.
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 16:46   #1431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quick Take - MG Hector Diesel

[1897319[/ATTACH]

Thanks GTO for MG HECTOR's initial report.

- Though HECTOR showroom is not present in Mangalore, but I was eagerly waiting for Team bhp's initial review.

- Good to know that HECTOR has launched its first SUV and given a few segment first features at VFM. These segment first features will pose a big challenge to home grown TML and Mahindra and compel them to add these features in their next launches.

- My daughter who never ever ask about cars is asking MG HECTOR launching date. This is the power of MG sales strategy.

- I am planning for SUV in 20-25L bracket in 2020/ April, after BS6 implementation. I had shortlisted Harrier, now HECTOR will be added to my list.
Venkatesh.H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 18:07   #1432
BHPian

I saw a whole bunch of these cars when I went home to Coonoor 2 months ago. I believe it was part of some media drive. Was eagerly waiting for it to be launched to book - but when I saw it up close, decided against it. Deal breakers for me were (a) "Internet Inside" logo and rest of the rear design (b) side profile is a bit station wagon like - I love proper station wagons like Subaru stuff; not this kind of tall stuff (c) interiors, when viewed via glass from outside looked a bit unpolished for its perceived price range. Yeah, the front lighting, large touch display, rear seat legroom and support, sunroof were all good to see though.
vsbabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 18:25   #1433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
1. The panoramic view is awesome, no question about that. The passengers will enjoy it more than you.

2. Not everyone will let you open the sunroof always, especially if there are people who worry too much about their complexion, wind etc.Yes, you will get hit from sun directly.

3. A/C effectiveness - will be less if the curtains are open.

4. Dust/Pollution - I can't imagine opening sun roof in Bangalore ever. You would need a detailing every time you go out.

5.Other risks - Coconuts, Bird droppings and even Vandalism.

6. Sun roof has a tendency to leak over long term, and causing rust on the top frame.

Ideally, I believe sun roof is not much suited for our country. But no harm in having it.
I have been actively using the sun roof on my car for the past 8 years in Bangalore. If you have the budget, definitely go for the sun roof model. It makes a huge difference to the car ambience when you are out on a late evening or an early morning drive. Having a sun roof doesn't mean that you are forced to open sun roof on a bright sunny day or in a dusty environment.

A falling coconut could be a risk but the damage will happen to your roof irrespective of whether you have sun roof or not. A toughened sun roof glass will withstand falling blunt objects better than a typical sheet metal roof where a dent is a definite probability.

Leaks and rust used to happen on older vehicles when leaves and other debris blocks the drain tube on the sunroof channel. Clearing the debris is more than enough to maintain your sun roof.

Last edited by Holyghost : 23rd July 2019 at 18:27.
Holyghost is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 20:15   #1434
Senior - BHPian

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
I have been actively using the sun roof on my car for the past 8 years in Bangalore. If you have the budget, definitely go for the sun roof model. It makes a huge difference to the car ambience when you are out on a late evening or an early morning drive. Having a sun roof doesn't mean that you are forced to open sun roof on a bright sunny day or in a dusty environment.

Sorry for going off topic and please do not take offence, butwhich Bangalore is this you are talking about? I have been driving in Bangalore for the last 11 years and with each year the time I have spent with the windows open have come down. I leave for work quite early as well, around 7:45 am, but even then the traffic is such that there is no question of leaving your windows open. The only place I leave my windows open is when I enter my apartment complex, which has a significant amount of greenery.
Personally, I feel as a feature, the sun roof is over rated simply because we do not have the conducive environment to make use of it. Would always suggest that some one buys a variant with more safety kit, like 6 airbags instead or even other things like ESC and the likes.
motorworks is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 01:02   #1435
BHPian

Yes very true. I also opened the sunroof not more than 4 times in 3 months in my newly owned Creta SX Petrol AT, and that too only to please the kids.

But call it typical human mentality, very few can ignore the pleasure of being stand out with a bling feature, when your friends who also happened to be a much veteran Creta owner (pre facelifted) asks you - "Did you bought the one with sunroof?"

Automakers definitely understand this and plays around to woo customers. MG is no different as expected.

Last edited by anu007 : 24th July 2019 at 01:05. Reason: Grammatical correction
Old 24th July 2019, 07:58   #1436
BHPian

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I would like to thank moderators for accepting my request.

I share the views echoed by some of the members that more than us, our families and kids are super excited about Hector. I am planning to upgrade my 7 years old Manza in few months time and Hector automatic DCT is one of the candidate. Few weeks back me and wife checked Hector at showroom (no TD) and my wife got blown away with the space, sunroof and other gizmos. She hardly takes any interest in automotive discussions but she is now eager to seriously evaluate Hector. My 8 years old (he has not seen the car in person) is insisting that we buy hector just for the sun roof. I think they realised as they are new player. Unfortunately tata missed the trick with harrier.

MG has played all the right cards to attract masses.
varman742 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 09:21   #1437
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Gautam Jain for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

An owner of MG Hector has put up images of his infotainment system which is not activated. Due to this, the weather is not shown on the home screen. The said owner approached the Ludhiana dealership, where a software update was performed. However, this hasn't solved the issue and the dealership has written to MG Motor for help. It has been 2 days since the problem and the owner complaints that he wasn't even contacted by the company officials, let alone solve his problem.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-image1.jpeg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-image2.jpeg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-image3.jpeg

Source: MG Hector Club Facebook group
blackwasp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 09:40   #1438
Senior - BHPian

Well, MG has to roll up their sleeves & focus a bit more on after sales service. It’s clearly lacking and if it continues, then they’re going to fall with negative mouth marketing / social media fire. Hope owner gets his issue fixed.
Old 24th July 2019, 10:40   #1439
Distinguished - BHPian

We are going OT but I use my Octavia sunroof daily in BLR on select sections of my morning & evening commute where I know there is no chance of dust, my speeds are typically <80 km/hr and of course the weather is nice.

While I will not include it as a must-have item, I will certainly rate it as a particularly nice-to-have one.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 10:49   #1440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autozoniac View Post
The 'P' mode dint lock the wheels ? u sure ? This is a shocker as its a major flaw.
Yes, I first noticed the car kept rolling backwards on the slightly sloped road in P mode till I engaged the electronic "P Brake". I was surprised, so I moved the car forward a bit, slotted in P and car started rolling back again. Tried three times.

I guess that was a defect in that specific test car, I hope other cars do not behave the same way.

Last edited by Pulse500 : 24th July 2019 at 11:19.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks