Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2019, 12:08   #106
BHPian

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
The connectivity will enable the SUV to get a whole array of smartphone-like features which includes biometrics, navigation with traffic info, car health status, AI assistance and a lot more. MG also promises to introduce over-the-air updates to analyse and personalise the driver experience in the connected SUV
Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
A Creta/Harrier/Compass competitor is ideal ground for doing a OnePlus
Seems like they're certainly doing something new features wise to differentiate from the competition. Now the pricing remains to be seen, which again has to very competitive considering its an unknown brand for the general car buying public. It has to answer that most important question of "why Hector, why not Creta, Harrier, Compass or the upcoming Kia Trazor/Tusker?"
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 08:45   #107
BHPian

MG Hector clear images out! Spied during TV commercial shooting.

Source: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ics-out-411972
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20190317023620_hectoruk1.jpg  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20190317023619_hectoruk2.jpg  

HarshGtR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 09:55   #108
BHPian

MG Hector’s Advanced Connectivity Options To Be Revealed On April 2 at the drive.in Tech Forum

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190317102336_chrome.jpg

MG says that the MG Hector will offer “seamless, constant connectivity while driving and is equipped for Over the Air (OTA) functionality, making it one of the only vehicles in the world to come integrated with the feature.” The marketing banner under which the company will reveal the advanced connectivity options is being called the ‘internet of cars’.

The connectivity system of the MG Hector works through an eSIM-powered device that communicates with the user through the mobile network. Other than providing information on various aspects of the SUV, the high-tech system will also offer details on the parking location, passenger health, toll tax fees, etc.

Source
https://t.co/VOgk7CZ2xs
JS Kwt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 13:24   #109
Senior - BHPian

MG India's first SUV named Hector

Although it does look good in parts, as an overall design it does not feel very cohesive. The A pillar section and the C pillar section do not seem to have the same design language. And the rear looks over done. The best looking part is the front, but even here the grill seems too wide.

So If this goes up against the Jeep Compass and the Harrier, with probably more kit, it may get some initial traction, but the segment itself is quite low volume. The Compass with the legacy of the Jeep brand has settled down to less than 2k every month and I think the Harrier too would be in a very similar volume band. So that means the task is cut out for the Hector. I would be very surprised if the car manages 1000 units a month post 6 months of launch. That would be a success considering the brand recall and dealership network.
motorworks is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 13:32   #110
Senior - BHPian

Somehow the only thing I am feeling after seeing this is 'Chineese'.
BANDHAV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 13:38   #111
Senior - BHPian

I like the way they have applied MG family grille on the Hector. However, the wheels look a bit downmarket as far as design goes. All would depend on how the SUV is priced for starters.

Also, there is a bit of difference in the pictures ACI has put and Gaadiwaadi has. Seems Gaadiwaadi has altered old images by snapping an MG grill just to be in the game!
fx45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 13:42   #112
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a dead on arrival car. The rear is horrible. I don't think they will be able to price it well, given the scale and dealer profitability. The car is average at best in a segment with strong competitors.
Old 17th March 2019, 13:58   #113
BHPian

Somehow the Buzzard, Harrier and the Alturas even, look so much more better than this! The skid plate at the rear looks horrible IMHO.
Vhruday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 14:49   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Looks like a dead on arrival car. The rear is horrible. I don't think they will be able to price it well, given the scale and dealer profitability. The car is average at best in a segment with strong competitors.
How can you say it would be doa, only by seeing the pictures. I don't believe in palm/ picture reading etc and you have no solid proof to back your statements up.

They may be able to price it well considering that the top of the line variant of the Baojun 530 retails for around 1,20,000 yuan (₹12,33,000) in China which is very cheap. (Source: Wikipedia). Which shows that there is a very low chance of overpricing.

Reports say it would be loaded up to the gills (with features like OTA updates, panoromic sunroof, huge touchscreen, 360° camera) and would come with the proven 2.0L diesel sourced from FCA (powers both Compass and Harrier) along with a 1.5 Turbo Petrol and both MT and AT (Dual clutch) options, which means it will easily be a neck to neck competition(instead of just being average) which mainly comprises Harrier (VFM and appealing but faces lack of AT and Petrol options) and Compass (a good all rounder with 4×4 and brand value but lacks Diesel AT).

I cannot comment on the Fit, finish, and build quality though which might be a bit suspicious considering the reputation of Chinese cars but I leave it to the mods for test (when the car launches).

Regarding the looks (which are subjective), the front looks awesome but the rear is not upto my liking and the skid plate is really horrible as mentioned by BHPian Vhruday.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 17th March 2019 at 14:57.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 16:29   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
How can you say it would be doa, only by seeing the pictures. I don't believe in palm/ picture reading etc and you have no solid proof to back your statements up.

They may be able to price it well considering that the top of the line variant of the Baojun 530 retails for around 1,20,000 yuan (₹12,33,000) in China which is very cheap. (Source: Wikipedia). Which shows that there is a very low chance of overpricing.

Reports say it would be loaded up to the gills (with features like OTA updates, panoromic sunroof, huge touchscreen, 360° camera) and would come with the proven 2.0L diesel sourced from FCA (powers both Compass and Harrier) along with a 1.5 Turbo Petrol and both MT and AT (Dual clutch) options, which means it will easily be a neck to neck competition(instead of just being average) which mainly comprises Harrier (VFM and appealing but faces lack of AT and Petrol options) and Compass (a good all rounder with 4×4 and brand value but lacks Diesel AT).

I cannot comment on the Fit, finish, and build quality though which might be a bit suspicious considering the reputation of Chinese cars but I leave it to the mods for test (when the car launches).

Regarding the looks (which are subjective), the front looks awesome but the rear is not upto my liking and the skid plate is really horrible as mentioned by BHPian Vhruday.
I had seen the MG cars that were showcased at Inorbit Mall in Hyderabad a few weeks ago. They were all LHD models and the quality, fit and finish and the features all looked very premium. The designs themselves looked fab and I was very interested. But I doubt if the same would make it to our shores.
Vhruday is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 17:09   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhruday View Post
I had seen the MG cars that were showcased at Inorbit Mall in Hyderabad a few weeks ago. They were all LHD models and the quality, fit and finish and the features all looked very premium. The designs themselves looked fab and I was very interested. But I doubt if the same would make it to our shores.
I too was very impressed with those cars. But somehow Hector doesn't have the same cohesive design language. I think the interior quality would be of high standards.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 17:29   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post

All things said and done, ugly cars don't sell, atleast don't sell well. Unfortunately the Hector is quite disproportionate. The rear looks at tad bulky, the front too straight, it is an odd combination of straight lines and curves. May be the bright red color makes it appear so, we can only wait and watch for other shades. Interior wise atleast it looks appealing (on paper), an actual touch and feel will help.
Old 17th March 2019, 17:37   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
All things said and done, ugly cars don't sell, atleast don't sell well. Unfortunately the Hector is quite disproportionate. The rear looks at tad bulky, the front too straight, it is an odd combination of straight lines and curves. May be the bright red color makes it appear so, we can only wait and watch for other shades. Interior wise atleast it looks appealing (on paper), an actual touch and feel will help.
Wagon R, Dzire immediately come to mind.... No offense meant here but.. In India price might be key. Not many hv heard of Morris's Brit pedigree...
Cowardly Lion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 20:14   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
MG Hector clear images out! Spied during TV commercial shooting.
As per the Autocar source, the images are that of an India-bound/India-spec Hector.

If that is so, then wonder why are they shooting the commercial in good ol' London (instead of maybe shooting here in India itself) and that too having an actor (Benedict Cumberbatch) at the helm who has hardly any Indian connection or mass appeal to say the least! Just being Sherlock and showing-off being a Brit (if that's the intent,Morris Garages play here?) may not cut the required slack, IMHO.

I would have thought that SAIC to go as local as possible in everything that they do - be it advertising, customer connect, celebrity endorsement etc. given the fact, come mid-2019, that they will be up against a very, very formidable line-up of the likes of Harrier (having spent 6 solid months of sales by then and some heavy-duty advertisement in the IPL), Creta (God of the segment) and Compass alike.
Old 17th March 2019, 20:27   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
I would have thought that SAIC to go as local as possible.
They've been playing the British marquee angle since the first teaser, and will probably use it as their USP in a crowded segment.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed