Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2019, 19:07   #2026
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
This comes from a person who loves his ANHC ivtech and loves to rev it when open roads and no traffic.

Infact the Hector diesel has a heavy clutch for me and I cant imagine driving it day in day out (the torque and power of that engine is far better though).
Tell me about it. The Honda 1.5 and 1.8 are a bunch of brilliant engines, really makes you love your car. It's been almost 13 years but I still get a rush when I pump the throttle and my car surges ahead, the adrenaline rush is different!

I've already made peace with the fact that I can't do that on the Hector.

Really? Maybe I'm used to my Civic's clutch which has got harder from age due to which I found the Diesel clutch pretty decent. The DCT has a much softer one though.

I like the touchscreen on the Hector. I'm waiting for updates for more fluidity. Although honestly, I saw the Hector right after watching a video of the Tesla Model 3. What a touchscreen! I just wish manufacturers here get that kind of slickness and fluidity.

It's a pity that we won't be seeing Tesla here anytime soon, owing to 100% import duty.

But that touchscreen, that should really be the benchmark
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 19:24   #2027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
Agree Man! I bet you like Ghazals and Sufi songs as well to go along.
Ok. Then let's put it like this : if you only want a relaxed and convenient drive without the punch of a spirited drive you can buy Hector petrol DCT or else look somewhere else. But then someone might say his Wagon R AMT also gives the same feeling
Will wait for your review of Inter city drive though !
Really amused at the fact of Comparing Wagon R AMT to a Hector DCT.

If you think only like a driver and count these vehicles as Point A to Point B machines then probably you would be 5% correct in that thought (of a small little world)

Spirited driving doesn't always means an engine that makes you shit in the pants.

Even being alone in the car - The poise and comfort that Hector glides on a road (straight, broken and/or bumpy) with - is just an experience itself which gets accentuated by that super slick gearbox. With a family and a full load inside the car, it only gets better.

Do that in a Wagon R and you'd come out laughing. On the other hand, load a family in any of these other CSUV's (Except Harrier) and you would see them complain of Space.

Hector is for sure a Jack of all trades and in the DCT avatar clicks every box that an urbane traveler would need - and so speak the sales.

Regards
Sahil
don_carmaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 19:51   #2028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post
Really amused at the fact of Comparing Wagon R AMT to a Hector DCT.

Do that in a Wagon R and you'd come out laughing. On the other hand, load a family in any of these other CSUV's (Except Harrier) and you would see them complain of Space.

Hector is for sure a Jack of all trades and in the DCT avatar clicks every box that an urbane traveler would need - and so speak the sales.

Regards
Sahil
Hey Buddy, Its ok. May be I was not clear.

Well, I understand Wagon R and Hector should not be compared. Not at all.
I was just making a point that if only convenience and ease of driving is the factor then Wagon R AMT also provides that. People who buy Wagon R would be happy with it. And therefore it all depends on the priority and needs.

I was making a point that so called "Urbane Traveler" will also need to go out of town, some times in hilly areas and on expressways and they would also like to overtake some slow moving truck and would need good thrust. I know the sales figure and I am sure every one would have done their home work. But not everyone likes to drive on part throttle. That's why Diesel Hector is the pick between the two any day , eyes closed. I forgot the mention the fuel consumption.

Also on the issue with passengers on board feeling space constraint, I don't have any further comments. I said, for an average sized family Seltos is more than enough. With larger body you get unstable frame and body rolls. Practically you will need lot more space to squeeze in urbane areas and most of the time your car's rear will be protruding on road. So I am sorry , but this urbane traveller thing does not cut a cake here. Nothing can beat Hatches in Indian cities.

Lastly, I have repeated this but will do that again - Osaka or Tokyo your choice ! Enjoy the hector DCT.

I am no auto Pundit! I am only speaking with my knowledge and experience. Might be wrong, so take that with a pinch of salt.
Old 4th October 2019, 00:27   #2029
Team-BHP Support

MG has joined hands with Tripoto and the incredibly talented Ayush Mehra & Aisha Ahmed to bring a series about travelling in India, to promote the Hector. Teaser and trailer below -

Another smart marketing move from MG, IMHO!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 00:38   #2030
BHPian

Tata had done something similar for the Tiago with TVF's Tripling.

It was a fantastic web series about a road trip and the protagonists (siblings) finding themselves. I loved the Tiago in Tripling, and the music too.

The guy mentioned in the MG ad (Amol Parashar) was in Tripling too!

Why Tata didn't continue to use new age media and build on that success of the Tiago's marketing experience is beyond me.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 4th October 2019 at 00:40.
digitalnirvana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 15:11   #2031
Senior - BHPian

The first episode of World of MG : Homecoming is out.

I like that they've been subtle to showcase the features of the Hector and it doesn't feel like everything is just about the car. Full points to MG!
coolkurt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 21:21   #2032
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Hector beats Tata Harrier, Mahindra XUV500 and Jeep Compass in Q2 FY20.

Quote:
56 per cent of the Hectors sold till now are diesel, 35 per cent are dual-clutch transmission and 11 per cent are hybrids.
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-71443762.png

ET
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 21:27   #2033

Booked Hector Sharp Diesel online today. Any indication on wait times they see on booking status for those who booked recently would be very useful.
Old 4th October 2019, 21:34   #2034
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow. Compass is doing lesser numbers than even the Harrier. This goes on to show that Jeep has got it all wrong with the pricing of the vehicle. They had a great run where they were the only ones in that group. But now things are different. With the onslaught from Seltos and upcoming Creta, things will only become more difficult.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 07:44   #2035
BHPian

Happened to see a red Hector yesterday. I would say the rear is ultimate in red color. For me I felt that the design is best in red color. All the curves and lines are clearly visible in red, which were not that evident on a white.
anumod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 08:46   #2036
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting. Till date I have seen the Hector only twice (It was a black Hector and don't if it's the same car that I saw twice) whereas I see Harrier and Compass (newly delivered) a lot. Are they all hiding?
Old 5th October 2019, 09:12   #2037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0kerDem0n View Post
Booked Hector Sharp Diesel online today. Any indication on wait times they see on booking status for those who booked recently would be very useful.
Congrats!
Deliveries are expected anytime end of Jan or early Feb. Please stay in constant connect with your dealership. It might be earlier if there are cancellations or reallocations etc.

Have been seeing quite a few Hectors and Harriers on the road lately in North Bangalore. Red and Black Hectors steal the show.
DASKD24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 10:05   #2038

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASKD24 View Post
Have been seeing quite a few Hectors and Harriers on the road lately in North Bangalore. Red and Black Hectors steal the show.
Have booked the Starry Black. The dealership did say Jan/Feb so fingers crossed
Old 5th October 2019, 12:13   #2039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Wow. Compass is doing lesser numbers than even the Harrier. This goes on to show that Jeep has got it all wrong with the pricing of the vehicle. They had a great run where they were the only ones in that group. But now things are different. With the onslaught from Seltos and upcoming Creta, things will only become more difficult.
Compass is very much done in India. The way it is priced, things are going to get more and more difficult going forward. As I was shopping for cars in this segment, I know why it is not selling. The only people who are buying the Compass in either for the brand or the powerful diesel engine. In this segment, it is difficult to survive without automatic - The Petrol auto is lehtargic while there is no auto for the diesel. I hear Jeep is coming up with a new Diesel automatic in early 2020 but that will push it's price even higher. Add to that less features and space compared to competition, the future is super bleak for the Compass unless there is a massive price correction
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 13:42   #2040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Compass is very much done in India. The way it is priced, things are going to get more and more difficult going forward. As I was shopping for cars in this segment, I know why it is not selling. The only reasons that people who are buying the Compass are either for the brand or the powerful diesel engine. In this segment, it is difficult to survive without an automatic - The Petrol auto is lethargic while there is no auto for the diesel. I hear Jeep is coming up with a new Diesel automatic in early 2020 but that will push it's price even higher. Add to that less features and space compared to competition, the future is super bleak for the Compass unless there is a massive price correction
Well I also agree with you as I am an owner of one. I feel I overpaid by 3 lacs. It is an irony that in our country, tin cans with bling are always preferred over well engineered and safe machines. Case in point Polo, Punto vs Swift, Baleno. Or Honda city over Rapid, Ventos. And sorry price correction is not way out. I bought this car as it had an aspirational image. MG, Kia or Tata does not have that. So, Jeep should go ahead and keep the pricing same and add features which make it more aspirational, far from reaches of majority of crowd. You should feel you bought a Jeep. And Jeep is a lifestyle. Just go and look at the genre of customers at all these showrooms and you will now where I am coming from. Next Jeep in India is more than 50 lakhs. It was never meant to be a mass market product.

By the way, had my Kia seltos gt dct test drive yesterday. Will post my feelings on it's thread. And I was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by ajmat : 5th October 2019 at 16:21. Reason: minor grammer errors
Roadster17 is offline   Received Infraction
Closed Thread

Most Viewed