Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2019, 13:55   #2041
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Interesting. Till date I have seen the Hector only twice (It was a black Hector and don't if it's the same car that I saw twice) whereas I see Harrier and Compass (newly delivered) a lot. Are they all hiding?
In Hyderabad, it's raining of MG. In my colony itself there are two white MG's in last two weeks. Cannot able to see new (with temporary registration) both harrier and compass now a days ..
Old 5th October 2019, 17:43   #2042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0kerDem0n View Post
Booked Hector Sharp Diesel online today. Any indication on wait times they see on booking status for those who booked recently would be very useful.
Delivery schedule for the different variants, if one was to book now, is as follows:

Diesel - Dec end/ Jan 2020
Petrol DCT - Feb/March 2020
Hybrid - March 2020

These are the wait schedules in Delhi. Demand for DCT and Hybrid was higher and it has further picked up.

Looking forward to feedback w.r.t the infotainment software update. MG says the screen is now snappier and less laggy plus adds Apple CarPlay.

Cars manufactured post January 2020 are going to be BS6. In all likelihood, there's going to be an announcement regarding that in Dec. If your car deliveries are post Feb 2020, be ready to factor in a higher price for the BS6.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 18:02   #2043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
Well I also agree with you as I am an owner of one. I feel I overpaid by 3 lacs. It is an irony that in our country, tin cans with bling are always preferred over well engineered and safe machines. Case in point Polo, Punto vs Swift, Baleno. Or Honda city over Rapid, Ventos. And sorry price correction is not way out. I bought this car as it had an aspirational image. MG, Kia or Tata does not have that. So, Jeep should go ahead and keep the pricing same and add features which make it more aspirational, far from reaches of majority of crowd. You should feel you bought a Jeep. And Jeep is a lifestyle. Just go and look at the genre of customers at all these showrooms and you will now where I am coming from. Next Jeep in India is more than 50 lakhs. It was never meant to be a mass market product.

By the way, had my Kia seltos gt dct test drive yesterday. Will post my feelings on it's thread. And I was pleasantly surprised.
Sorry, if I offended you. I was just stating the reasons why it is not selling, which are kind of obvious. I also agree that Jeep can't compete with mass market brands like Hyundai or KIa or MG. However, I did have the budget to buy a Compass and I did not reject it because of the price. The petrol auto did not give me the joy of driving which I was looking from a compass and that's the main reason for rejecting it. Also, the interiors felt just okay but did not provide a premium vibe compared to the likes of Seltos. For example, when I sat in the Octavia, it clearly did feel a step-up from the likes of Seltos. Apart from the diesel automatic, Jeep needs to make the interiors better and add more features (cruise control, reclining rear seats, TPMS, electric tailgate etc.) to position it as a premium compact SUV. Problem is the way it is priced right now, with the addition of an automatic and some of these features, the top end might be very close to 30 lakhs on road. And I also found lack of storage spaces in the Compass, I was struggling to find a place for my mobile phone.
Anyways, I am done with my rant on the Compass and sorry for derailing this thread.

Last edited by adimicra : 5th October 2019 at 18:04.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 18:29   #2044
BHPian

Sorry Man, but it was not directed at you. I meant to drive a point why JC is overpriced and what stops it from competing with others. I might not agree with whatever you have written but again its a personal choice. Again I will stop my rant here as well. Sorry if you felt that way.
Roadster17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 18:40   #2045

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Delivery schedule for the different variants, if one was to book now, is as follows:

Diesel - Dec end/ Jan 2020
Petrol DCT - Feb/March 2020
Hybrid - March 2020

These are the wait schedules in Delhi. Demand for DCT and Hybrid was higher and it has further picked up.

Looking forward to feedback w.r.t the infotainment software update. MG says the screen is now snappier and less laggy plus adds Apple CarPlay.

Cars manufactured post January 2020 are going to be BS6. In all likelihood, there's going to be an announcement regarding that in Dec. If your car deliveries are post Feb 2020, be ready to factor in a higher price for the BS6.

How does this affect Rest of India? I'm in Bangalore if that helps knowing.

I'm just confused how the deliveries for Petrol are later than Diesel. I see reports that over 56% of bookings are for the Diesel but glad to see it is not going to be a 6 month wait.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is the source of this info? Incredibly useful!
Old 5th October 2019, 20:45   #2046
Senior - BHPian

Here's the second episode of World of MG : Homecoming

MG has done a fabulous job here and there's a lot of buzz that's been created around this entire campaign.

Full marks to the MG marketing team who've kept MG in the news right from March 2019, with limited release of information and teasers along the way, building up to the product and the campaign post launch, thereby keeping them in the news and generating a massive amount of interest, eventually translating into sales.

The 'Stories of MG' on their YouTube channel is also a nice touch. Viewing the brand from the view of actual owners, helps keep the 'human' touch intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0kerDem0n View Post

How does this affect Rest of India? I'm in Bangalore if that helps knowing.

I'm just confused how the deliveries for Petrol are later than Diesel. I see reports that over 56% of bookings are for the Diesel but glad to see it is not going to be a 6 month wait.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is the source of this info? Incredibly useful!
Bangalore should have similar waiting periods. The demand for Petrol DCT and Hybrid variant is a lot higher in the metros for obvious reasons.

The 56% diesel is a PAN India figure. In the metros , it's skewed in favor of the DCT. Last month, a particular Delhi dealership outlet delivered 70 odd cars out of which 45 were DCT. You can do the math. The same results in higher waiting periods for petrol engine variants.

Let's just say I'm a bit more friendly with some folks at a particular dealer

I'm waiting for my Diesel Sharp Hector too so I can sense the excitement

Last edited by coolkurt : 5th October 2019 at 20:52.
coolkurt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 22:35   #2047

Quote:

I'm waiting for my Diesel Sharp Hector too so I can sense the excitement
Congrats! Test drove the Seltos GTX Auto today. Still pretty sure Hector is worth the wait and value for money.
P0kerDem0n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 23:20   #2048
BHPian

I got my DCT delivered last Friday. Will post more details after driving a bit. But so far for 250 kms driven in city and highway 70:30 the mileage is about 5-6 kmpl. Overall a very satisfying experience.
patron is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 13:45   #2049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I got my DCT delivered last Friday. Will post more details after driving a bit. But so far for 250 kms driven in city and highway 70:30 the mileage is about 5-6 kmpl. Overall a very satisfying experience.
Which city? Did you drive in really bad traffic?? Like stuck in a jam for 30-40 mins. I am expecting 6-7 kmpl avg in city with 5-6 on bad days and 7-9 on good days(weekends). Look forward to more details. Thanks.

One thing that puzzles me about the MG Hector petrol automatic is that the Baojun 530 2019 updated model was launched with a CVT. The Wuling Almaz in Indoneasia also gets a CVT. The Chevrolet Captiva in Thailand/ South America are also CVT. The CVT which they have recently developed with Bosch. I wonder why India gets a supposedly older version of the automatic that is the DCT. Could it be to keep the prices competitive?

The CVT could have given a better mileage. Anyways the DCT is behaving like a CVT with the initial lag.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th October 2019 at 18:22. Reason: Posts merged.
rkv_hunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 12:55   #2050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
Which city? Did you drive in really bad traffic?? Like stuck in a jam for 30-40 mins. I am expecting 6-7 kmpl avg in city with 5-6 on bad days and 7-9 on good days(weekends). Look forward to more details. Thanks.
I am in Bangalore and both my office and home are about 3 kms away and have to go through some heavy traffic both ways about 4 times a day. So the mileage is understandable.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th October 2019 at 18:22. Reason: Spacing.
patron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 16:40   #2051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
I wonder why India gets a supposedly older version of the automatic that is the DCT. Could it be to keep the prices competitive?
Unlike a CVT, a DCT can withstand higher amounts of power and torque as compared to any other transmission. One rarely finds CVT's in cars having high power and torque, as they don't exactly give the feel of an enthusiasts' car.

On the contrary, a DCT is more expensive to manufacture. And I doubt that every roadside mechanic will be well versed with a DCT so expect maintenance and repair to be more expensive as well.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 19:04   #2052
BHPian

Quote:
Unlike a CVT, a DCT can withstand higher amounts of power and torque as compared to any other transmission. One rarely finds CVT's in cars having high power and torque, as they don't exactly give the feel of an enthusiasts' car.

On the contrary, a DCT is more expensive to manufacture. And I doubt that every roadside mechanic will be well versed with a DCT so expect maintenance and repair to be more expensive as well.
Ok. So cost may not be a factor in the decision of giving the DCT to India then. I wonder what may be the factor then.

Also I read on the SAIC-GM-Wuling website that the DCT in the Baojun 530 is the wet clutch gearbox, during the test drive when I asked the SA(without refering the Baojun) she also said that the DCT is a wet clutch gearbox, hence I assume Hector users may not face the transmission overheating issue.
Old 7th October 2019, 20:39   #2053
KMT
BHPian

Quote:

Just fyi had a V6 3.5L Nissan Murano for a couple of years. It had a CVT autobox. It had considerably more bower than a Hector.
And, a chinese SUV is hardly an enthusiasts car
KMT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 21:01   #2054
BHPian

Quote:

I happened to test drive a 2005 Nissan Murano V6 245 Hp with CVT transmission.
It had the best linear pickup of all vehicles driven so far by me from memory, In fact I enjoyed it more than the Ford mustang GT rental that I had driven in USA.
Old 7th October 2019, 21:34   #2055
Senior - BHPian

I never said that a CVT can't be coupled with a powerful torquey engine. It's just not that common. No one said the Hector is an enthusiast's car. Maybe MG wanted it to be so but it falls short.

What it is is a good city runner. A family car, meant to be driven sedately.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks