Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2019, 22:35   #2056
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
I happened to test drive a 2005 Nissan Murano V6 245 Hp with CVT transmission.
It had the best linear pickup of all vehicles driven so far by me from memory, In fact I enjoyed it more than the Ford mustang GT rental that I had driven in USA.
I don’t believe that at all. Come on Nissan V6 vs Mustang V8? I’d understand if the Nissan was a GTR but not the Murano. How was it better than the Mustang?
Old 7th October 2019, 22:47   #2057
Senior - BHPian

World of MG : Homecoming Episode 3 is online now.

The Hector looks fabulous in red
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 23:44   #2058

Here is my feedback on Petrol Hybrid Super manual variant after driving 2000 kms
  • Steering: Light and easy to maneuver. For a big vehicle, it is definitely easy on the hands. After driving Hector, when I move back to Nissan Micra, Micra feels very heavy
  • Noise and Vibration: Definitely premium. With music in background, it is not easy to make out whether the engine is running or not. It took me some time to get used to the quieter cabin. At speeds of 100-120, passengers will not feel the speed, unless one looks at the speedometer or the beed sound on crossing 80, 100 and 120 kph
  • Space: Enough has already been said about the space in second row. Family loves it.
  • Parking assist: For someone like me who is upgrading from a Ford Ikon, this is really good feature to park such a big vehicle without any dents and scratches
  • Gear shift recommendation: The recommendations on the MID for upward and downward shift of gears helps to avoid stressing the engine and in mileage. May not be needed, once one gets used to the vehicle.
  • Mileage display on MID: I found that the mileage displayed on MID is quite different from what I calculated from full tank to full tank. Do not know whether this is specific to Hector or applicable for other brands as well.
  • Windows: Lots of sunlight creeps in through the large side windows and front glass making it quite uncomfortable inside the car. After considering window shades, went in and installed CR 70 sun film. It has been comfortable even since. After going through the thread on sun films in T-BHP, I know that it technically is against the law. Just hoping that cops do not stop me.
  • I have come across videos of vehicle breaking down on the road etc and a big concern for people investing their hard earned money. Nothing of that sort has happened to me so far. From the experience, it does look to be a vehicle that will end up with such a fate
  • Automatic or Diesel or top end?: If your budget allows, definitely go for the top end versions. I am sure the additional features will thrill you and your family. For me, the 4 lacs difference to the top end version did not sound to be value for money
  • 10.4 inch touchscreen: While it is a standout feature of the car, I did not find any functional use of the same. No videos can be played while the car is running for safety reasons. Map in android auto comes to half of the screen. While playing music, size of the screen is irrelevant.
  • Mileage: One of the most queried topics on MG Hector. After driving 2000 kms, here is my scorecard. Highway maintaining 90-100 kms speed steady in sixth gear: 18 kms / litre. City bumper to bumper traffic, rarely going beyond 3rd gear: 7.5-8.0 kms / litre. Mix of highway, city and atrocious ghat roads: 12 kms / litre
  • Clutch: Very easy on the knees. Drove 650kms in one day from Goa to Bangalore. My knees and calf muscle were perfectly fine after the drive
  • What I do not like: I still have not perfected the art of starting the vehicle from standstill, moving to second gear and then to third (maybe I never will, with this vehicle). By the time I am on third gear, all the bikes, santros, altos, i20s and all taxis of the world would have cut in front of me. If you are someone who fancies starting a race the moment traffic light turns green, this definitely is not the vehicle for you. Having said that, once the vehicle is in third gear, it glides through and is a pleasure to drive
devthomas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 00:51   #2059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
I don’t believe that at all. Come on Nissan V6 vs Mustang V8? I’d understand if the Nissan was a GTR but not the Murano. How was it better than the Mustang?
It was a 2003 Mustang GT V8 with less than 1000 miles on odo, although it turned many heads due to its throaty growl, it had massive lag and not fun to drive in city roads, I had to really step on the accelerator to get it moving.

I would any day prefer and enjoy the silky smooth nature of v6 engines with instantaneous and effortless pickup like in Lexus LS and Acura TL series.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th October 2019 at 01:13. Reason: Spacing.
Old 8th October 2019, 01:10   #2060
Senior - BHPian

MG Motors to go slow on capacity expansion despite strong demand

Quote:
MG Motor India Ltd, one of the new entrants in the Indian automobile market, has no plan to rush into the high-volume, mass-market segment and will consider introducing hatchbacks and compact sedans only after four to five years, said Rajeev Chaba, president and managing director, MG Motor India.

Despite the strong demand, MG Motor would not accelerate its capacity expansion, and would restrict monthly vehicle production at up to 3,000,-3,500 vehicles until December, Chaba said.
Right move by MG. I remember seeing an interview of Mr Chaba where he had stressed that their main focus was to gain customer confidence - the first 15000 customers being critical and the walk in experience at the showrooms. Volumes will come automatically.

Source
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 10:15   #2061
Distinguished - BHPian

0-100 timings

Diesel MT is the quickest and Petrol AT is the slowest.

Diesel MT: 11.39 seconds
Petrol MT: 12.64 seconds
Petrol AT: 14.21 seconds

Fuel Efficiency ( Highway/City )

Diesel MT: 16.5 / 12.6 kpl
Petrol MT: 10.27 / 7.25 kpl
Petrol AT: 9 / 6.9 kpl

Petrol DCT is very disappointing. It's slow and not good at fuel efficiency too.

Source: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...ad-test-414407

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 8th October 2019 at 10:18.
Old 8th October 2019, 11:03   #2062
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
0-100 timings

It would be interesting to see how the Petrol hybrid compares on fuel efficiency and acceleration with the petrol manual. I hope one of the auto magazines take on this test. I would expect the Hybrid would be slightly more fuel efficient (I believe MG claims 12% more?) and I would also expect a slight gain in 0-20 kmph run from standstill with a batteries fully charged due to the torque boost of additional 20 NM from the batteries.

The official figures from MG are 15.81 kpl from the hybrid versus 14.16 kpl for the petrol manual. I doubt we will see real world fuel efficiency anywhere close to this number.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 8th October 2019 at 11:08.
Old 8th October 2019, 11:23   #2063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
It would be interesting to see how the Petrol hybrid compares on fuel efficiency and acceleration with the petrol manual.
The above figures are tested in hybrid version of Petrol MT. Non hybrid petrol MT is available only in base and the one above, I don't think anybody would be interested to check the figures .

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 8th October 2019 at 11:33.
Old 8th October 2019, 12:48   #2064
BHPian

Quote:
0-100 timings

Diesel MT is the quickest and Petrol AT is the slowest.

Diesel MT: 11.39 seconds

Diesel MT: 16.5 / 12.6 kpl

Petrol DCT is very disappointing. It's slow and not good at fuel efficiency too.

Source: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...ad-test-414407
This is what I was referring to, as well. Hector Diesel should be the vehicle to go for. Hector DCT is going to be a bad purchase for anyone who loves driving. The figures certainly portrays Hector DCT as a boring drive. However there will be individuals who would not mind these figures and enjoy the space and "Hello MG" feature. The issue of dismal acceleration will show its true color in tricky overtaking situations and situation where you want to enjoy the 140 horses.

14.21 second to a ton and kickdown acceleration time (which is a better measurement of real life acceleration) as 8.04 sec (20-80kph) and 10.24 sec (40-100kph) are definitely very poor for a vehicle of this class. Heck, even Maruti alto is quicker ( 0-100 in 13.3 secs )

Last edited by Roadster17 : 8th October 2019 at 12:55.
Roadster17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 13:00   #2065
BHPian

Quote:
The above figures are tested in hybrid version of Petrol MT. Non hybrid petrol MT is available only in base and the one above, I don't think anybody would be interested to check the figures .

I had the Petrol Hybrid for review and drove around 200kms. Mileage was just around 7.5 km/l as per MID. Highway it did touch 12.8 km/l for a short 70km run but came down to 7.5km/l as we entered city traffic.
Will do a tank full calculation as I have requested my relative who owns it for a week. As MG couldn't provide me for more than 4 days this time.

Summed up here -
shravan2k2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 14:41   #2066
Senior - BHPian

Autocar's full Review of the Hector is out.

Quote:
The MG Hector is incredible value, right from the word go. Its sheer size, long list of features, and massive cabin and boot allow it to punch not one but two segments above its weight.

The Hector’s loose highway manners are its main weakness and it also doesn’t have the same rugged feel of its more hardcore rivals. The strong, refined and efficient Fiat-sourced 2.0-litre diesel engine goes a long way to establish the Hector as a long-distance cruiser, and this variant is the one to choose if you are constantly on the highway. But the fact is that the Hector feels most comfortable within urban environs, where its light steering, good outside visibility and easy manoeuvrability give it an edge over others.

Any doubts about the long-term reliability of what is still an unknown product are taken care of by a five-year warranty and a brand-new dealer network. Sure, only time will tell how good or durable the Hector is in the long term, but for now, it’s a compelling buy. And if a spacious and comfortable cabin is your main priority then, quite frankly, the Hector is the best option for the money.
Link to Review
coolkurt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 22:12   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
Well I also agree with you as I am an owner of one. I feel I overpaid by 3 lacs. It is an irony that in our country, tin cans with bling are always preferred over well engineered and safe machines. Case in point Polo, Punto vs Swift, Baleno. Or Honda city over Rapid, Ventos. And sorry price correction is not way out. I bought this car as it had an aspirational image. MG, Kia or Tata does not have that. So, Jeep should go ahead and keep the pricing same and add features which make it more aspirational, far from reaches of majority of crowd. You should feel you bought a Jeep. And Jeep is a lifestyle. Just go and look at the genre of customers at all these showrooms and you will now where I am coming from. Next Jeep in India is more than 50 lakhs. It was never meant to be a mass market product.

By the way, had my Kia seltos gt dct test drive yesterday. Will post my feelings on it's thread. And I was pleasantly surprised.
Well said. I am in the market for 6 months+ waiting for a good 20+L C-SUV and still waiting for one. Jeep is the only one coming close.
Old 10th October 2019, 09:44   #2068
Senior - BHPian

World of MG : Homecoming Episode 4 is out now.

The skew is 55% buyers are opting for Petrol version, and in that , 30% of buyers are for Hybrid.

MG had not accounted for so much demand for it's hybrid, which is why they were caught off guard, leading to longer waiting times for hybrid customers. However, they've managed to sort out the issues at their end and Hybrid production should stabilize post Oct.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 12:12   #2069
BHPian

I have seen a few posts on this thread that talked about the Facebook groups being biased and more of a fanboy-ish kind rather than a proper and fair discussion oriented type. I don't mean to spread any rumours or hate about this but on a number of occasions, I have seen a few profiles that clearly seem fake or have an association with a PR firm (See the picture attached) making all sorts of fairly tales about the car. You'll find these accounts attacking people who post anything regarding fuel economy, any problem they faced, etc. I am aware that a lot of pictures of the car broken down were not confirmed but this is something that makes me a little worried as well as curious about the brand. P.S The profile blocked me after I called it out.
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-mg-phone-screenshot.jpg  

omranga98 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 14:54   #2070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omranga98 View Post
I have seen a few profiles that clearly seem fake or have an association with a PR firm (See the picture attached) making all sorts of fairly tales about the car.
Yes. This particular lady called me out when I was posting about the low mileage of the DCT as compared to the Diesel. She's clearly an influencer but a very pathetic one to be honest. The language, the grammar and the points that she put across, it made for an entertaining read

I'm sure people are smart enough to differentiate between authentic owners and such influencers.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks