Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2019, 01:38   #16
BHPian

re: Hyundai Creta: A few minor changes being released on 11th Jan, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayB View Post
Even most of the upcoming SUV will not have an Automatic at Launch. So, if I am in the market for a Diesel Automatic SUV, is there any point in waiting?
I guess it doesn't make sense to wait. I think Hexa has a Diesel automatic version too. If budget isn't a concern, you could go for the Compass too.

Harrier and Kicks are playing it safe with only manual options (I guess they just want to capture a share of the Creta pie for now before investing further). I wonder if Kia or MG would come up with a Diesel automatic.
Old 12th January 2019, 08:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaityari View Post
I guess it doesn't make sense to wait. I think Hexa has a Diesel automatic version too. If budget isn't a concern, you could go for the Compass too.

Harrier and Kicks are playing it safe with only manual options (I guess they just want to capture a share of the Creta pie for now before investing further). I wonder if Kia or MG would come up with a Diesel automatic.
No Jeep Compass does not have a Diesel Automatic.
BayB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 10:20   #18
BHPian

@ sdaityari,

On a lighter note, Kia should launch its SUV with the diesel automatic, from the launch itself in the top variant. I guess, that would be the only point which will differentiate Kia and Hyundai. :lol

Last edited by RedStallion : 12th January 2019 at 10:40.
Old 13th January 2019, 02:01   #19
BHPian

Experts please help...
Considering the current price of Creta Automatic, I can buy either a Petrol Automatic SX or a Diesel Automatic S, almost at same price. Although my current monthly drive is around 1000 KM or less, I am considering compromising on some features of SX and go for a Diesel Automatic S, because of the lesser running cost and better fuel average of Diesel. The main factor here is the initial buying cost is same for both Petrol SX and Diesel S. Had there been a Petrol Automatic S. I would have gone for it.

Do you think, i am taking a right decision.

P.S - I have always driven a petrol manual till date.
BayB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 02:22   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Experts please help...
Considering the current price of Creta Automatic, I can buy either a Petrol Automatic SX or a Diesel Automatic S, almost at same price. Although my current monthly drive is around 1000 KM or less, I am considering compromising on some features of SX and go for a Diesel Automatic S, because of the lesser running cost and better fuel average of Diesel. The main factor here is the initial buying cost is same for both Petrol SX and Diesel S. Had there been a Petrol Automatic S. I would have gone for it.

P.S - I have always driven a petrol manual till date.
Guess, you are right. I would have done same in your situation even if running is on moderate side as yours. Diesel makes lot of sense for car of the size of Creta in my opinion as petrol mileage would be very low that too automatic.
gupta_chd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 02:35   #21
BHPian

Hyundai Creta 2019 - Few minor changes being released today - 11 Jan

Quote:
Because of the lesser running cost and better fuel average of Diesel. The main factor here is the initial buying cost is same for both Petrol SX and Diesel S.

Depends on how important daily running cost is for you. You will save money in the short term with better fuel efficiency, but long term the Diesel will be more expensive to maintain and will also have a harder depreciation hit because of the shorter road fitness validity of Diesel cars - 10 years for Diesel vs 15 years for Petrol.

So unless you are strictly looking to save money on your daily running cost, I would suggest getting the Petrol.

Last edited by Abhinav667 : 13th January 2019 at 02:36.
Abhinav667 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 02:41   #22
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although my current monthly drive is around 1000 KM or less, I am considering compromising on some features of SX and go for a Diesel Automatic S, because of the lesser running cost and better fuel average of Diesel. The main factor here is the initial buying cost is same for both Petrol SX and Diesel S. Had there been a Petrol Automatic S. I would have gone for it.

The diesel engine is actually the better performing engine of the two. I for one would give a higher preference to the superior engine over extra features irrespective of the daily running or the fuel type. And it's not that you are going for the E+ variant. The S variant has got all the basics covered.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 08:25   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav667 View Post
Depends on how important daily running cost is for you. You will save money in the short term with better fuel efficiency, but long term the Diesel will be more expensive to maintain and will also have a harder depreciation hit because of the shorter road fitness validity of Diesel cars - 10 years for Diesel vs 15 years for Petrol.
The 10 year vs 15 year rule is only applicable in NCR region. The OP here is based in Bangalore it seems and hence this would not apply on him.

What are the extras that you get in SX over S? From a cost point of view, specially at the same price, the diesel AT becomes a no brainer. But if anything on those extra feature list matters to you and cannot be retrofitted, then opt for the Petrol. You don't want to be left feeling shortchanged in the end when cars costing much less than your car come equipped with those features and you don't/cannot get them. All the money saved in running costs is not worth that feeling. Case in point: My 320d doesn't come with BT music support!
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 09:33   #24
BHPian

As per the pdf the SX Petrol is about 15,74,443 while the S AT Diesel is 17,20,606 a difference of about 1,46,163. If your running isnt much then it doesnt make sense to go for the diesel. I guess service cost for diesel and that too an AT would be higher than the petrol one. If you are doing long trips I think Cruise Control would be of immense help which is not present in the S AT variant
Old 13th January 2019, 10:13   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by askicode View Post
As per the pdf the SX Petrol is about 15,74,443 while the S AT Diesel is 17,20,606 a difference of about 1,46,163.
I think you have got it wrong. The ex-showroom prices of the models are as follows:
SX AT Petrol- Rs. 13,53,550
S AT Diesel- Rs. 13,26,034

The price you have quoted is for the SX AT Diesel. The OP is confused between the above 2 variants since they are priced so close to each other, rather the diesel is costs a tad bit less.

Quote:
I guess service cost for diesel and that too an AT would be higher than the petrol one.
I have repeatedly come across this statement on the forum and elsewhere too without ever getting a logical explanation for the same. The same is also said about the MT vehicles. What is the extra service cost in diesel vehicles that you save in Petrol ones?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 11:53   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I have repeatedly come across this statement on the forum and elsewhere too without ever getting a logical explanation for the same. The same is also said about the MT vehicles. What is the extra service cost in diesel vehicles that you save in Petrol ones?

When folks mean by increased service cost; Battery, clutch plates etc are costlier in Diesel v/s Petrol Also some manufacturers charge 10% higher in labour charges for Diesel.

Last edited by mithun : 13th January 2019 at 11:55.
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 12:25   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Creta: A few minor changes being released on 11th Jan, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav667 View Post
but long term the Diesel will be more expensive to maintain
Nope. The difference - if at all - is too negligible to bother a Creta owner.

Quote:
and will also have a harder depreciation hit because of the shorter road fitness validity of Diesel cars - 10 years for Diesel vs 15 years for Petrol.
Outside of Delhi-NCR, Diesel AT SUVs & Crossovers have anywhere between 25 - 50% higher resale. Reason, they are still efficient. Petrol torque-converter SUVs are usually gas guzzlers.

Quote:
I have repeatedly come across this statement on the forum and elsewhere too without ever getting a logical explanation for the same.
Just a mindset from the Padmini, Ambassador & Sumo / Armada days where diesels would require more frequent oil changes & required more frequent engine rebuilds.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 18:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Somethings I can think of is
1. Filters will be 3 times costlier usually. Although it should not make difference more than 1 k as annually.

2. I guess oil change bill be higher by 30-40%

3. Fuel injector cleaning and all may cost a bomb once needed.

Overall, these costs are nothing compared to the saving one may make with moderate to high mileage.
Old 13th January 2019, 21:24   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Somethings I can think of is
1. Filters will be 3 times costlier usually. Although it should not make difference more than 1 k as annually.

2. I guess oil change bill be higher by 30-40%

3. Fuel injector cleaning and all may cost a bomb once needed.

Overall, these costs are nothing compared to the saving one may make with moderate to high mileage.
So a difference of 1k annually shouldn't even be worth mentioning to a car buyer across all segments, right from Nano to a Ferrari. It is too negligible.

Also i do not have the figures with me but I doubt if the oil costs also vary by 30-40%. I have 2 diesel and 1 petrol vehicle with me and the servicing costs are pretty much in the same ballpark figure range annually.

As GTO said, this is something that we have carried over from the past. It might not be applicable in the current automotive world anymore.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2019, 00:15   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nope. The difference - if at all - is too negligible to bother a Creta owner.

Outside of Delhi-NCR, Diesel AT SUVs & Crossovers have anywhere between 25 - 50% higher resale. Reason, they are still efficient. Petrol torque-converter SUVs are usually gas guzzlers.

Just a mindset from the Padmini, Ambassador & Sumo / Armada days where diesels would require more frequent oil changes & required more frequent engine rebuilds.
GTO, Thanks for your responses. Thanks to other BHPians as well for responding. This give me a lot of confidence that, i am thinking on the right lines.

You are right for bigger cars, resale of diesel variants is better than that of petrol ones, at least that's the case in Bangalore.

Regarding the feature differences SX has following additional features -
> Push button start - I can live with it
> Automatic Climate Control - I think i will miss this feature for sure
> Project headlights - I read in various forums that in Creta projector headlamps are not good, many people say that in Creta standard headlights are better
> 7 inch entertainment system with navigation including Apple car play - Again i will miss this feature but again i can live with it. S variant does come with a 5 inch screen integrated with Reverse cam and sensors
> Shark Fin Antenna - I really don't know if it is better, but i guess this can be fitted after market.
> Cruise Control - While i have used this extensively in US, but in India i really don't think i will miss it. Or am I wrong.
> Rear Wiper and Washer - I can live without this.
> Wireless Charger - Very phone specific, so should not matter much

Other features are all cosmetic and aesthetic. I am not bothered about them.

Any suggestions regarding feature differences.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks