Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2019, 12:38   #1
Team-BHP Support

Toyota to launch its version of the Baleno in FY 2019-20

Toyota will be launching their version of Baleno some time later this year. That should make it the Suzuki-Toyota partnership's first joint product. Should be interesting to see how the arrangement works out - both for the individual companies and the market.

Quote:
Japanese auto major Toyota is gearing up to launch its version of Suzuki's premium hatchback Baleno in the Indian market in the second half of next fiscal, according to sources. Toyota has been working on incorporating its own unique features to the model that has been a runaway success for Suzuki's Indian arm -- Maruti Suzuki.
Quote:
In March last year, the two Japanese companies had concluded a basic agreement for supplying hybrid and other vehicles to each other in the Indian market.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/67509312.cms
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 08:48   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota to launch its version of the Baleno in FY 2019-20

As I mentioned on the Maruti-Toyota partnership thread, this sharing of cars is just 'window dressing' on the alliance, while the real reason is something else (Toyota will first give technology to Suzuki, and then buy it out). Still, it'll be very interesting to see if the Toyota Baleno has any sort of tweaks or additional equipment. Am also curious to know how they price it & how the market reacts to it. AFAIK, not a single cross-badged car has seen success in India - an excellent related post. The only one who did a half decent job is the Rapid which outsells the original Vento, but the Rapid's triple-digit sales make it a lukewarm performer at best.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 09:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Would be likely that Baleno would also be sold at markets where Suzuki isn’t present/strong making this a lot different. I would love to see Toyota engines & 6 airbags, ESP, traction control, etc on this!

Last edited by Equus : 15th January 2019 at 09:54.
Equus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 09:58   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
-- I would love to see Toyota engines & 6 airbags, ESP, traction control, etc on this!
The idea of these 'badge engineered' cars is for 'speed to market'. Hence will not have power-train changes, and will be all cosmetic and maybe more safety features.

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th January 2019 at 10:02.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 10:01   #5
BHPian

Though I find sense in the business POV of the 2 companies collaborating, I'm skeptical whether it could lead to any brand impact for any of the two companies?

Have a query :-
1. Off-lately, MS has been making light-bodied cars which weigh really less compared to peers. TKM on the other hand is kind of known for making heavy bodied vehicles, which often give us the Thud-like assurance from Germans.

If there is a cross-over, would the body-structure remain same, or can it be altered significantly so that each company's virtues are maintained?
Old 15th January 2019, 10:21   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
TKM on the other hand is kind of known for making heavy bodied vehicles, which often give us the Thud-like assurance from Germans.
Which is that vehicle from Toyota that gives a thud like assurance? I have tried Etios, Yaris, Corolla and Innova, but it didn’t feel anything like a Vento or Polo! They just felt like my Ford Aspire, which is unlike previous Ford’s ( have a previous generation Figo with us ). To be honest that thud feeling maybe only giving a psychological assurance, but it feels good to feel a solid heavy door when we close one!
The Rationalist is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 11:31   #7
Team-BHP Support

Toyota offlate has been adhering to some good safety standards; it will be interesting to see if they equip the Baleno on similar levels of equipment (say like in the Yaris).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
(Toyota will first give technology to Suzuki, and then buy it out)
This looks to be case. I won't be surprised if Toyota becomes India's largest manufacturer in a year or two.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 11:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
psychological assurance, but it feels good to feel a solid heavy door when we close one!
I had an Altis for 7 years till 2016, before upgrading to Octavia.

Maybe only I felt that 'psychological assurance' closing the Altis' doors.
Old 15th January 2019, 12:43   #9
BHPian

Toyota as an organization has different policies compared to Suzuki. The typical life cycle of a Toyota Car is 5 to 6 years where in Suzuki would sell the same car for decades that too both current and previous generations in parallel. This will be an interesting twist in the industry. I am waiting to understand the management lessons from it !
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 18:43   #10
BHPian

Toyota-badged Baleno confirmed for launch in 2019

Toyota has confirmed that the first of the shared products – the Maruti Suzuki Baleno – will go on sale at its dealerships in the second half of 2019.

Toyota to launch its version of the Baleno in FY 2019-20-screenshot_20190129190431_chrome.jpg

Quote:

Speaking to Autocar India at the inauguration of the company’s first driving school in Mumbai, N Raja, Deputy Managing Director, Toyota Kirloskar Motor, said, “One thing we're working on now is one of the products from the alliance - the Baleno. Towards the second half of this year, we should be seeing it made available to our dealers for sale.”

This model-sharing exercise will go beyond mere badge-engineering, and Toyota’s version of the Baleno is likely to sport soft part changes – such as a new grille, redesigned bumpers and lights – but Raja confirmed product changes will be kept to a minimum.

“From Toyota's side, our focus is to differentiate the sales experience for the customers that we get. We would look at Toyota strengths of sales. We have more than 1.5 million Toyota customers, we have to focus on how we approach them and offer them this product so that they remain in the Toyota family”, added Raja.
Full Article
JS Kwt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 18:49   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I too have serious apprehensions on this so called joint venture. The Indian car buyer has matured enough to realize if 2 cars being sold are identical under the logo. And in such a scenario, he will always opt for the cheaper car, specially when the cheaper one is from MSIL and not some also ran player. I really don't think a Toyota Baleno or a Maruti Corolla is going to see much success in our market.

And in the above interview, what is Mr. Raja trying to say. Better the sales experience? The Baleno is sold through the Nexa dealerships and I really doubt if a standard Toyota dealership is anyway more premium than a Nexa outlet.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 19:06   #12
BHPian

Unless Toyota does some enhancement to safety and or drive train, what is the kind of differentiation they will bring in? I don't think any Toyota customer would like to pay the "Toyota Premium" for a Maruti.
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 19:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think Maruti Corolla will be far bigger success than Toyota Baleno, because of wide reach of Maruti Service Stations. Especially if there are no skin deep changes to safety/panels etc. Wonder how much a purely make-up job can differentiate the sales of the same product.
ani_meher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 20:45   #14
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Completely agree with what most people are saying. The Maruti Corolla should be a bigger success(relatively speaking) than the Toyota Baleno due to the sheer value which it will most probably offer to the buyer. However, if Toyota can price their Baleno at about 20-30k higher than the Maruti Baleno, then it should do good numbers as well. Better than the Jazz IMO. By paying a slight premium over the Maruti Baleno, you can go from saying that you drive a 'Maruti' to saying that you drive a 'Toyota'. Common Suzuki platform be damned. This might sway some buyers towards this car. To be very frank, even I would gladly pay this difference and have a Toyota badge on my grill and on my keyfob.

Any higher than 20-30k and/or any omission of features already present in the Maruti Baleno and they are doomed for poor to average sales.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 21:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
By paying a slight premium over the Maruti Baleno, you can go from saying that you drive a 'Maruti' to saying that you drive a 'Toyota'.

This might sway some buyers towards this car. To be very frank, even I would gladly pay this difference and have a Toyota badge on my grill and on my keyfob.
Spot On AYP
The Toyota Badge will bring Bragging rights.

Another crucial factor to its success could be the Waiting period.
If the Toyota Baleno has a lesser waiting period, there will be a lot of buyers opting for it.

And also those loyal Toyota customers out in the market for a Baleno will choose to get a Toyota badged one, and continue enjoying the better TASS.

Another Interesting factor would be how Toyota prices the Spare parts and consumables.
JS Kwt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks