Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2019, 10:49   #31
BHPian

Re: White was the most chosen car colour of 2018, followed by grey & silver

Clearly, I got the answer how can Silver be the most sought after color.

Not convinced, each to their own though. This December, I decided not to buy a Verna because Black was not available. Dealer tried to push hard for silver color, there was a juicy discount of 1 Lakh rupee to sweeten the deal. I resisted, and have postponed the buy for now.

For those who said they like silver color, I can understand - you buy what you like . But those who buy silver for the reason that it would hide scratches and dents better - I'm not sold.

If I am buying a car, putting much more money than I should (if I listen to the brain) in it, it'd better be the best looking NOW, not the least bad looking 3 years down the line. All said and done, car is not an investment that we look for returns after 3/5 years. It's a luxury spend (usefulness can be fulfilled by a Nano, no need to spend big bucks on it otherwise).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 11:10   #32
BHPian

OrangeCar is sad and angry that Orange is just 2% of total sales.

C'mon guys, there are so many cars with Orange as a color option.

Below cars look awesome in Orange. And many more are available.

I would like to propose to the Govt. of India to provide excise duty exemptions on Orange colored cars! And I appeal to all State Govts to exempt road tax on Orange cars.

Name:  Baleno.PNG
Views: 2928
Size:  316.5 KB

Name:  Ecosport.PNG
Views: 2993
Size:  666.9 KB

Name:  XUV500.PNG
Views: 2760
Size:  345.8 KB
OrangeCar is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 11:21   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

No surprises at all that white is the most preferred. Looks classy on any car, stays cooler, easy to maintain (silver is the easiest to maintain IMO)

I've owned 3 cars in my 13 years of driving first one being silver and the next 2 being whites. the first and the current one was due to non availability of Black and the second one being voted out by family members. This is another angle to India I feel - The Astrological/religious reason. White is the "safest" from that point of view as well.

Polo GT, Compass are the latest two models where red sells more (at least as I see in Bengaluru)

Blue is the latest favorite color I feel...Octavia VRS for example
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 11:49   #34
BHPian

I prefer white and silver for any car. Among darker shades, I prefer dark grey colour. In white shade, I prefer the arctic white. I think arctic white was the colour in Safari Storme for which they charged Rs. 5000/- extra. All my cars have been silver or white.
Old 18th January 2019, 13:02   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I owned a blue Tata Sumo Grande 10 years ago. It was so unique though not very aesthetically pleasing!

White was the most chosen car colour of 2018, followed by grey & silver-picture6sumo.jpg

Now my favourite color for 2018 is Blue shade of the Tiago/Tigor. Pictures dont do justice, but blue tiago in person looks smashing

White was the most chosen car colour of 2018, followed by grey & silver-tatatiagoblue2.jpg

If you ask me what car I aspire to buy next, the choice is simple :

White was the most chosen car colour of 2018, followed by grey & silver-2017volkswagenjettasilkbluemetallic_o.jpg

And some blue shades look pathetic, for example:

White was the most chosen car colour of 2018, followed by grey & silver-0_578_872_0_70_http-_cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20181010062640_ciazpetrolshvsfrontstat.jpg

Reason why white colour is most prefered is because
1. It does not get faded with prolonged exposure to sun
2. White shades look slightly larger than other shades
3. It looks elegant on most cars
4. Better resale value

5. Easier to show contrast, even with a simple wrap job and dark tints

Example : My kwid 1.0

White was the most chosen car colour of 2018, followed by grey & silver-img_20180703_090724725_hdr.jpg

And brown cars look good too, albeit a bit difficult to maintain. And the car that started the brown revolution in Indian scene was -

Name:  2014FordFiestaFaceliftSedan22.png
Views: 2621
Size:  590.2 KB

The best looking C2 sedan ever, IMO!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 18th January 2019 at 13:08.
Old 18th January 2019, 13:58   #36
BHPian

Interesting shift in preferences can be seen over a period of time and of course certain colours look good for certain cars.

Gone are the days when our roads were flourishing with following car colour combinations,

1. Zen - Yellow.
2. M800 - Cairo dust
3. Esteem – Metallic Blue.
4. Estilo – Pink.
5. Wagon R – Champagne gold.

Nonetheless, to me, the following combinations of body type and colours are more visually appealing than rest.

1. Sub compact hatchbacks - Yellow.
2. Hatchbacks – Red.
3. Sedans – White.
4. SUV’s – Black.
Old 18th January 2019, 14:50   #37
BHPian

Indian Car market is dominated by Maruti and Hyundai where almost 75% of the cars command some Waiting period.
One reason for the high 43% of White cars is the Domino Effect of the demand for White Color. It could be accounting for upto 5-10% of these White cars.

Manufactures make more White cars due to high demand and most dealers have a tendency of stocking White cars to make that Quick sale for the hurried customer.
Inspite of the high waiting periods of 20-25 weeks for some models, White color is instantly available if you are lucky and do some searching.

Recently i was in the market for the New Ertiga ZXI+, which had a waiting period of 20 weeks. I searched with multiple dealers in the city and some nearby cities, i found that most of them had one or two VDI/VXI white, silver and grey color in ready stock or as cancellations. Also found a couple of ZXI in ready stock.
This is also due to large numbers of initial bookings being made for White color, resulting in more probabilities of cancellations.

And those customers who don't want to wait and are prepared to compromise on the variant or color, usually pick up these ready stock White Colors.
Old 18th January 2019, 17:05   #38
BHPian

Dark colours are pain to maintain. In a dusty place like Bangalore, dust settles on your shining car in a few minutes time.
White too needs maintainence as they can get pale and get yellow tinge if not maintained properly.
Also paint matching is difficult in white colour when a car undergoes small dent repair and painting on its body.
Old 18th January 2019, 17:17   #39
BHPian

I think car manufacturers are missing a big opportunity here, with respect to color offerings. They should launch a matte finish dust color car, which look like a thin layer of dust have evenly settled all over the car uniformly. kind of beige, inside out.

It should fly off the shelf.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 11:18   #40
BHPian

The only car that has an option for violet colour from the factory is XUV 500, not sure how violet is even a part of that list.
Old 19th January 2019, 11:28   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvdangi View Post
The only car that has an option for violet colour from the factory is XUV 500, not sure how violet is even a part of that list.
I'm fairly certain the previous generation Maruti Swift was made available in a violet / purple shade. It's pretty dark - looks black during night-time.

Could someone confirm this, please?
Old 19th January 2019, 11:39   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'm fairly certain the previous generation Maruti Swift was made available in a violet / purple shade. It's pretty dark - looks black during night-time.

It was named Mysterious Violet.
Here you go...
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post3576081 (2014 Suzuki Swift Facelift Revealed)

White was the most chosen car colour of 2018, followed by grey & silver-violet.jpg

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 19th January 2019 at 11:41.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 11:49   #43
BHPian

Quote:

So, Swift's 1 colour has the capability to take up 1% market share (XUV's contribution shouldn't be a lot).
We just have to ask Maruti Suzuki to add a new colour in one of their cars to change these stats drastically
dhruvdangi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 12:15   #44
BANNED

For me white is a boring colour unless seen on a SUV. For hatchbacks and sedans I love to see them in black and black only. Yes, I know it’s very hard to maintain but once washed and waxed nothing will give you that kind of satisfaction. People buy white and silver just for ease of maintenance, better resale etc. not just because they love it to the core. Once my friend had got a call to enquire about his swift when he decided to sell his car and the very first question was ‘Is it white?’. Now you get the real reason for these white and silver fascination. I know it would be very difficult to find a buyer for my black City, but what to do I just love black cars.

Last edited by pavi : 19th January 2019 at 12:20.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 12:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:

Yup, it was called mysterious violet.

Most Viewed