Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2007, 16:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Such figures are possible - I got a 33 ka figure once
n_c, was that figure got by a proper tank-full to tank-full method or just indicated by the indicator on the dash ?
Old 18th January 2007, 16:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

I think instead of doing these highway runs, they should do these kind of runs in the city on a weekday in normal traffic conditions and then start boasting about FE figured because those are exactly the conditions the normal motorist drives in.

The mind boggling FE figures can be achieved on the highway runs anytime in those "FE Mileage Run" conditions. Plus the organizers brief you before how to drive and you cant help note that they actually ask you to fold your mirrors

Talk about road safety
Old 18th January 2007, 16:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Geez, I didn't know side mirrors would play significant role in FE...I always drive with side mirrors open. Guess my FE would improve if I fold the mirrors, but I won't do that.
Old 18th January 2007, 16:55   #19
Team-BHP Support

As if folding the mirrors will help. at such low speeds what difference will it make. There will be more drag if the windows are rolled down.
Old 18th January 2007, 16:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
n_c, was that figure got by a proper tank-full to tank-full method or just indicated by the indicator on the dash ?
SB - I had filled up the tank before leaving and on return I saw the figure on the on board computer. So as soon as I reached my area , I went and topped up ....and the figure was 31 kmpl. So 33 kmpl - I was getting while I was driving.

Normal daily driving, home to office and back - i got always between 18-20 kmpl.
Old 18th January 2007, 17:03   #21
BHPian

an NHC 31+ thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Such figures are possible - I got a 33 ka figure once from Alibaug to Chembur , driving in pretty much the same way that Dippy explained. This in the 1.9 TDi .....only I did not fold in the OVRM's.
Seems likely if another NHC owner's claim is true. There is another thread in which a new NHC owner claims to have got 31+ KMPL, I am eager to hear from him how he drove between Vijayawada and Hyderabad.

No offense meant to any one, but is there a possibility that some Honda/ Hyundai/ Maruti/... sales and marketing guys are on the forum ?
Old 18th January 2007, 17:33   #22
BHPian

Every one in Delhi knows the traffic conditions on the Agra Highway. There are jams and bumper to bumper traffic till faridabad and till palwal there are lots of lazy trucks that need frequent downshifts(this distance is half way to kosi). Also all those who drove Vernas were the owners of verna and those cars were not company owned. Nobody would like to detune the engine of a new car just to increase mileage for a prize. Unlike Fiesta limca book of records that was a company owned car and was driven by experts on a race track!!...I understand that figures are to good to be true ..and hence the reactions!
Old 18th January 2007, 18:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

.. dunno when these companies will ever stop this kiddish behavior. We all know 38 or 31 is now one can get specially in city. Even on highway its damn difficult..
Old 18th January 2007, 18:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Well almost all the companies do something to show that the car is very fuel Efficient. If anyone will notice, after ACI ran two Fiestas, Ford have started advertising the Fiesta with a tag line Diesel Diet and showing it got more then 30+ kmpl.

Problem is in normal world conditions its difficult to even acheive half of it.
Old 18th January 2007, 18:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
This will surely translate into sales
Rightly said. Cat on wall cases will definitely fall in the trap.
Old 18th January 2007, 18:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Somebody should run all cars on the same stretch (under same conditions) and compare the FE. I don't think any company would readily accept that challenge.
Old 18th January 2007, 18:28   #27
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Every one in Delhi knows the traffic conditions on the Agra Highway. There are jams and bumper to bumper traffic till faridabad and till palwal there are lots of lazy trucks that need frequent downshifts(this distance is half way to kosi).Also all those who drove Vernas were the owners of verna and those cars were not company owned. Nobody would like to detune the engine of a new car just to increase mileage for a prize. Unlike Fiesta limca book of records that was a company owned car and was driven by experts on a race track!!...I understand that figures are to good to be true ..and hence the reactions!
I do understand that the Verna has outstanding torque which enables the driver to keep the car in 4th/5th gear most of the time. Nevertheless those traffic conditions, if present on that Sunday morning, do make the mileage figures given well and truly incredible.

As for your assertion that "nobody would like to detune.....", note that the top prize offered was Rs. 25000. This is India, where people have committed murder for far less. The owners (at least a few of them) might have reasoned that not much harm will be done if one does that temporarily for a drive in which the car is not really going to be pushed; and I am sure Hyundai would only have been too eager to help them out.

One factor might be the fuel used. If high-octane fuel is used, I am sure the mileage will increase, maybe by 5% or more. Here is a website that explains the effect of tyre pressures on mileage:

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible

See the sections "Tyre pressure and gas mileage" and "What is the correct tyre pressure". The author claims that increasing the tyre pressure from the recommended 32 psi (f)/28 psi (r) (in his Subaru) to 40 psi in all tyres gave him an increase of mileage from 15.7 mpg to 20.32 mpg (i.e., an increase of about 25%). By the way this author recommends operatiing above the manufacturer's recommendation, but I am sure that will not always work on the bad roads in India.

Did anybody check the tyre pressures used by the winners in this run? I suspect they might have been *well* above manufacturer's recommendation; not much harm can result in a slow speed drive on good roads.

I am sure a whole bunch of other tricks can be used to increase mileage. I am not asserting that all this was done. But unless a check was done by the organizers, how can we be sure?
Old 18th January 2007, 18:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I am sure a whole bunch of other tricks can be used to increase mileage. I am not asserting that all this was done. But unless a check was done by the organizers, how can we be sure?
Very true .. what bugs me is that a 110bhp 1.6 can beat a 60+ BHP 1.4 engine (Fiesta) .. that too by a margin of almost 8kmpl .. considering that the Fiesta were apparently driven in a totally controlled environment over a very very long period.
Old 18th January 2007, 19:13   #29
BHPian

I just called up the PR Head in Delhi for Hyundai to dig more information. The cell number was given on the press release itself. They invited all Verna owners from Delhi to participate in the rally. A day before the rally there was a brief workshop in which they explained tips for driving to increase mileage of the car. The next day Verna owners were asked to reach the petrol pump near the Apollo hospital. The families of the owners were also invited to drive along in the car to make the eve a pleasure. None of the Hyundai employees did any tuning on any of the car. They have records of owners of the car but I was not given details as I was not from the Press etc. The First runner-up had an average of 35+ km/ltrs (VGT). I also came to know they had a similar meet at Jalandhar(Punjab) on Jan 15th where the best average they got was 35+. There were 60 cars that participated and I was assured by the person that more than half of VGT got an average of 30+ during Delhi meet. He asked me to bring any reference from press and then he can give detail log of the cars and averages they returned during the meet.
Old 18th January 2007, 19:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

What is the point of this exercise? What are the results?
If Verna's FE is 35+ then why Verna owners quote FE between 15 & 20?
Hyundai claims their VGT is 110BHP. Will they also claim its FE as 35+ & print in the specifications?

PS 1: I feel the only result of this exercise is, if a car is driven under ideal conditions, its FE increases.

PS 2: If Hyundai can share their briefings about FE it will be helpful for all.

Last edited by msdivy : 18th January 2007 at 19:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks