Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2007, 19:22   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Seems likely if another NHC owner's claim is true. There is another thread in which a new NHC owner claims to have got 31+ KMPL, I am eager to hear from him how he drove between Vijayawada and Hyderabad.

No offense meant to any one, but is there a possibility that some Honda/ Hyundai/ Maruti/... sales and marketing guys are on the forum ?

Well, I'm not working for any Automobile company, I'm an IT pro. working in HYD. The day I travelled from Vijayawada to Hyderabad (15-Jan-2007 afternoon) being a Holiday, there is very little traffic than it is present usually on NH9.. I never crossed 3K rpm.
Old 18th January 2007, 19:30   #32
BHPian

Yea,..exactly..my VGT is giving around 20 in city and 23-25 on highway....this exercise has made me rethink that I can even get better FE if I drive more sensibly.....there is scope of improvement!!
Old 18th January 2007, 19:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

what was the average speeds you were doing? what kind of tire pressures were you running?
Old 18th January 2007, 19:47   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
what was the average speeds you were doing? what kind of tire pressures were you running?
Me??...in city it was 30-40 kmph and on highways it was around 100-120 most of the time. Tire pressures never checked from the day I drive it out from showroom (Dec 29th)
Old 18th January 2007, 20:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

This kind of fugure by car manufacturers suit for ideal driving conditions and I am sure Cars will be checked fully before rally starts! Quality of fuel used and driving conditions and speed so many factor counts. Its just to make attraction thats all.

But If government works out to improve highways and make every one follow rules every car can give improvement in FE and less travelling time.

If every car manufacturer provide better service for every car then FE can be improved not by advertisement for sure!

But India is not going to improve for the next 20 years! Because our highway project itself shows how slow it is. Every month they are postponing releasing golden quadrilateral project.

I feel only in advertisement we can see good FE from different cars but actual FE we get mainly based on worst road/driving conditons.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 18th January 2007, 21:28   #36
BHPian

bothered more about city than highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
This kind of fugure by car manufacturers suit for ideal driving conditions and I am sure Cars will be checked fully before rally starts! Quality of fuel used and driving conditions and speed so many factor counts. Its just to make attraction thats all.

But If government works out to improve highways and make every one follow rules every car can give improvement in FE and less travelling time.

If every car manufacturer provide better service for every car then FE can be improved not by advertisement for sure!

But India is not going to improve for the next 20 years! Because our highway project itself shows how slow it is. Every month they are postponing releasing golden quadrilateral project.

I feel only in advertisement we can see good FE from different cars but actual FE we get mainly based on worst road/driving conditons.

Regards,

Ravi.
If I have to chose I will ask for better traffic and roads in the city than highways in terms of priority. Reasons: better commute, time saving on a daily basis, huge FE improvement, last but not least less pollution.

Some of our highways are not really bad, even though there is lot of scope for improvement. City roads and traffic is where we fall terribly behind.
Old 18th January 2007, 21:34   #37
BHPian

a little more detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Well, I'm not working for any Automobile company, I'm an IT pro. working in HYD. The day I travelled from Vijayawada to Hyderabad (15-Jan-2007 afternoon) being a Holiday, there is very little traffic than it is present usually on NH9.. I never crossed 3K rpm.
would you mind sharing with us a little more detail of how you drove ? What were the peak speeds ? How many hours did it take for you to commute between VJWD and Hyderabad ? Were you able to maintain constant speeds for long stretches ? May be we can emulate and benefit from your style.

One thing I noticed is, your measured FE does not include Hyderabad city commute. Up to Ramoji film city can be considered pure highway drive.
Old 18th January 2007, 21:52   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
would you mind sharing with us a little more detail of how you drove ? What were the peak speeds ? How many hours did it take for you to commute between VJWD and Hyderabad ? Were you able to maintain constant speeds for long stretches ? May be we can emulate and benefit from your style.

One thing I noticed is, your measured FE does not include Hyderabad city commute. Up to Ramoji film city can be considered pure highway drive.
As the roads were literally empty, there was a very little need to shift to a lower gear. I only shifted to 4th and then back to 5th when required. The max. speed I touched is around 90-100kmph. Overall around 70-80kmph. It took around 5 hrs 15 min for the trip. ( Near Nampally the traffic, moved very slowly because of the exhibition there..)

I set the trip meter to zero after I filled the fuel in Vijayawada(Near Benz Circle) and again filled at Srinagar Colony petrol bunk in Hyderabad which is near to my residence in the heart of the city where I fill regularly. I mentioned Ramoji Film city(RFC) just to make a point that the fuel gauge did not drop from the full level till RFC and only after that, it dropped slightly below the full mark by the time I reached the Srinagar colony fuel station.
Old 18th January 2007, 21:55   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Me??...in city it was 30-40 kmph and on highways it was around 100-120 most of the time. Tire pressures never checked from the day I drive it out from showroom (Dec 29th)
Correction. I got tires upgraded to 185/65/14 on 1st Jan. On that day too I did not check the tire pressure.
Old 18th January 2007, 22:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
What is the point of this exercise? What are the results?
If Verna's FE is 35+ then why Verna owners quote FE between 15 & 20?
Hyundai claims their VGT is 110BHP. Will they also claim its FE as 35+ & print in the specifications?

PS 1: I feel the only result of this exercise is, if a car is driven under ideal conditions, its FE increases.

PS 2: If Hyundai can share their briefings about FE it will be helpful for all.
The end result is:
the sales of verna will increase even though hyundai doesnt officially claim 35+ FE.
they cant take such a risk. as rightly said by a t-bhpian, the tom (read it as cat) on the wall will fall into the trap. Oh!!, btw the average man is nothing more than a tom.
Old 18th January 2007, 23:01   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
What is the point of this exercise? What are the results?
If Verna's FE is 35+ then why Verna owners quote FE between 15 & 20?
Hyundai claims their VGT is 110BHP. Will they also claim its FE as 35+ & print in the specifications?

PS 1: I feel the only result of this exercise is, if a car is driven under ideal conditions, its FE increases.

PS 2: If Hyundai can share their briefings about FE it will be helpful for all.
Hyundai's claim about Verna's 110 BHP itself is disputed by many experts.

I would say if a car can achieve this in normal world conditions as claimed, then why don't that be explained and demonstrated in detail?? Just imagine if everybody was using these technics for their daily drives?? Even Bush would've been called sane!!

These technics are not at all practical in real world conditions. For grabbing attention?? Yes, Yes.
And Hyundai needs it a lot now. Even their very much hyped car (Verna) is not setting the sales charts on fire. I know of some dealers who have stocks from Oct 06 lying in their stock yards.

It seems that Verna didn't turn out to be what Hyundai expected it to be. Heard abot the latest price rise?? And now, the FE mantra!! Just the beginning???
Old 18th January 2007, 23:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

Who are these manufacturers fooling with such absurd, impractical, unachievable-in-real-life mileage figures? Any car driven that way will return good mileage but can we do that in day-to-day driving conditions? These gimmicks need to be ignored.
Old 18th January 2007, 23:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

There is one sure shot way of getting a very high FE with the Distance covered divided by fuel consumed method. Try this at home, Tank up, then jack up the driven wheels, then start the car and slot her in 5th, and keep spinning till you almost exhaust the fuel, unjack the car, drive back to the pump and then see what FE your car has registered.

Whats this obsession about getting high FE, people are not driving on the roads, they drive 100 bhp machines slower than 38 year old 40 bhp ones.
Old 18th January 2007, 23:32   #44
Senior - BHPian

@1100D - no comments! ...but if milege is what people are looking for ... they shouldnt be driving these powerful machine.... its better to stick to smaller engines with high milege....

yeah gaadi kitna deti hai... - is this what you guys always look for when you drive a car?

Last edited by planet_rocker : 18th January 2007 at 23:34.
Old 19th January 2007, 00:44   #45
BHPian

Iĺl definitely try one

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
As the roads were literally empty, there was a very little need to shift to a lower gear. I only shifted to 4th and then back to 5th when required. The max. speed I touched is around 90-100kmph. Overall around 70-80kmph. It took around 5 hrs 15 min for the trip. ( Near Nampally the traffic, moved very slowly because of the exhibition there..)

I set the trip meter to zero after I filled the fuel in Vijayawada(Near Benz Circle) and again filled at Srinagar Colony petrol bunk in Hyderabad which is near to my residence in the heart of the city where I fill regularly. I mentioned Ramoji Film city(RFC) just to make a point that the fuel gauge did not drop from the full level till RFC and only after that, it dropped slightly below the full mark by the time I reached the Srinagar colony fuel station.
Iĺl try similar driving when possible, even though I can not even dream about 30+ number, hopefully Iĺl go beyond 20 in my Petra 1.6. I've to work towards killing my instincts and find out if Petra can return good FE in less aggressive driving conditions. Thanks for sharing details. BTW were you running A/C ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks