Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2007, 18:15   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
@1100D - no comments! ...but if milege is what people are looking for ... they shouldnt be driving these powerful machine.... its better to stick to smaller engines with high milege....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Whats this obsession about getting high FE, people are not driving on the roads, they drive 100 bhp machines slower than 38 year old 40 bhp ones.
I agree with you guys. From what I'm reading, the Verna should give close to 50 kmpl at least in "controlled" conditions (like for example how the Fiesta was tested on a closed track in perfect conditions). Also, if I have to drive the measured way that Rohit says he does, I'd go round the bend! Hats off to you Rohit.......any long term effect on the clutch you think, the way you keep taking off from 2nd gear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
What more does the FE-obsessed Indian car-buyer need ?
Maybe the original HeroHonda tagline of "Fill it. Shut it. Forget it" should be used with cars.
Or maybe go back to the bullock cart, fix a moped engine & then get 100kmpl!

Last edited by suman : 24th January 2007 at 18:17.
Old 24th January 2007, 19:00   #77
BHPian

In the present traffic situation and way we should drive verna to get that mileage........i think we should leave to our office 3-4 hrs early and leave late night....... so that nobody will force us to come down to 2nd and 3rd gear.....
Old 24th January 2007, 20:00   #78
BHPian

Hey its perfectly normal...the first gear is too short....I initially skipped first gear because it was too short but now if it is helping me in more FE its the extra reward I get free!!. Also I never bought Verna for FE...I never asked FE figures when I went at showroom..I bought it because I found it the only car that’s giving power in the usable band of rpm at which I usually drive. (The reason why I hate my one year old Esteem). The FE is the plus that I got and I am quite satisfied with it. Moreover ask any truck driver they pull off using second gear even if it’s loaded. So I don’t feel any harm in 2nd gear… now I miss 6th gear as logically I ate first gear!!
Old 24th January 2007, 20:07   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Moreover ask any truck driver they pull off using second gear even if it’s loaded.
The gear ratios are different, if I'm not mistaken, trucks would normally engage first gear ONLY to haul themsleves out of a sticky spot, they normally always start from 2nd gear.

I would think your Verna is a car, not a truck, the "funda" would be slightly different
Old 24th January 2007, 20:11   #80
Team-BHP Support

2nd gear is fine only if you dont mind messing up your clutch. However the gear ratios, you will have to slip the clutch a little more than you would in first gear. You mat get better mileage but at the cost of shorter clutch life.
Old 24th January 2007, 20:28   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
The gear ratios are different, if I'm not mistaken, trucks would normally engage first gear ONLY to haul themsleves out of a sticky spot, they normally always start from 2nd gear.

I would think your Verna is a car, not a truck, the "funda" would be slightly different
Yea gear ratios are obviously different but as I mentioned first gear is really short (if I compare it to esteem) I find Verna's Second gear doing the duty what my esteems first gear used to do
Old 25th January 2007, 02:19   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post

Not quite actually,a typical Tata/leyland has 4 forward in a proper sense,like any of the car's.Its just that it's 'Other gear' is refered as 'extra 1st' by Trucker's and companies alike!

Its is a 'crawler gear' and engages by pushing the gear lever to extreme left-and pulling it back,its good for 5-10 kmph-full throttle and cannot be engaged while in motion.
Old 25th January 2007, 05:23   #83
BHPian

Guys u need to have verna to understand it.........i agree with rohit coz the car has so much torque u dont need to shift down always ...........but that does not mean when the road is empty we drive slowly...well i have touched 130 in the suburbs . and i get FE of around 16-17 with mix driving some time 100-110 and sometime 40 -70.......... thats amazing according to me........well we all know that diesel cars are know for its FE,but here is a car that is more powerfull than many petrol cars and give an amazing FE.... rohit style of driving is meant for bumper to bumper traffic which we get during peak hours........he never said drive slowly when the roads are empty..........
Old 25th January 2007, 12:24   #84

Verna Diesel Driving at Low Speed

jeetu4444, I have problems driving my verna (January 07 - CRDI) in Bangalore traffic, I have to always shift to 2nd gear in the city traffic. Do you think my verna has a problem - or is it normal. I am getting 22 on highway and around 16 in city.
Old 25th January 2007, 20:07   #85
BHPian

My Verna gives 45 kmpl !!! When I hang the car from a hook and keeps the car running, with the tyres rotating free! wow, amazing aint it?
Old 25th January 2007, 21:31   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
My Verna gives 45 kmpl !!! When I hang the car from a hook and keeps the car running, with the tyres rotating free! wow, amazing aint it?
Dont show your typing skills like this. Do you even own it? I see you have Santro. Stop making such a fake claims please.
Meanwhile there was another same ‘Miles & Smiles’ Rally at Kolkata for Verna & Getz owners. Following were the winners:-

Getz
1. Pallab Gupta – 27 Km
2. Pratul Das – 26.76 km
3. Anirban Sen – 26.73 Km

Verna Petrol
1. Nikhil Modi – 24.38 Km
2. Khausal Bhadhuri – 21.67 km

Verna Diesel
1. Dr Arpan Chatterjee – 35.58 Km
2. Ganesh Pandey – 26.09 Km
Enjoy!
Old 25th January 2007, 21:34   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Getz
1. Pallab Gupta – 27 Km
2. Pratul Das – 26.76 km

I wish my friend atleast got 10kmpl consistent... (he gets 8-9 kmpl in city)
Old 25th January 2007, 21:52   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Dont show your typing skills like this. Do you even own it? I see you have Santro. Stop making such a fake claims please.
Meanwhile there was another same ‘Miles & Smiles’ Rally at Kolkata for Verna & Getz owners. Following were the winners:-

Getz
1. Pallab Gupta – 27 Km
2. Pratul Das – 26.76 km

Verna Petrol
1. Nikhil Modi – 24.38 Km
2. Khausal Bhadhuri – 21.67 km

Verna Diesel
1. Dr Arpan Chatterjee – 35.58 Km
2. Ganesh Pandey – 26.09 Km
Enjoy!
Rohit,

That was just a joke. Sorry that you took it seriously!. Yes I have a Santro, which I plan to sell soon, and got a new black Verna VTVT this month. So far I get just about 10-11 kmpl in Bangalore. Not got chance to try on highways yet.

BTW, claims like this is required to keep the heads up for Verna, since Fiesta has taken an "official" route to extablish its frugality.
Old 25th January 2007, 22:32   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Ok Got it now I see Verna XXI...If I have offended you in any way please take it in lighter sense.
Old 27th January 2007, 06:38   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500HP View Post
jeetu4444, I have problems driving my verna (January 07 - CRDI) in Bangalore traffic, I have to always shift to 2nd gear in the city traffic. Do you think my verna has a problem - or is it normal. I am getting 22 on highway and around 16 in city.
i guess its normal coz to control the beast u have to shift down, well your FE is perfect, and hopefully will increase later on.......well at times iam driving in 4th gear at a speed of 40kmh.......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks