Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2019, 09:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The slow-sellers & flops of 2018

While we all know the top selling models, it is now time to see the slow selling models of 2018.

- Renault Captur is the biggest disaster in recent launches.

- SUV's cannot be always the key to success- there are flop ones too.

- MPV's seem to be in demand

- TATA motors seem to be the worst hit with slow moving models - Refresh plans to mitigate this trend.

The slow-sellers & flops of 2018-212.jpg

The slow-sellers & flops of 2018-117.jpg

Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th January 2019 at 10:24.
volkman10 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 14:02   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The slow-sellers & flops of 2018

Thanks for sharing, Volkman10! Moving your post to a new thread.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 15:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

1. Hexa - While it did not bring volumes, demonstrated the quality of cars it can produce. It'll be interesting to see if Tata wants to continue selling the Hexa when H7X is out.

2. Fiat brand has one foot on the exit door.

3. Renault-Nissan-Datsun aren't serious about their business in India. So less said the better.

4. Xylo might keep it alive till end of this year if taxi volumes justify it. I doubt any private owner bought a Xylo in the recent past. Verito again is kept alive by its taxi volumes, its presence is much slimmer than the Xylo.

5. There was talk about Vento being replaced by 'Virtus', any ETA on the launch?
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 15:06   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

5. There was talk about Vento being replaced by 'Virtus', any ETA on the launch?
Not in the near future . 2021 or beyond.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 15:19   #5
BHPian

May be the above list should have been Segment wise rather than putting likes of Nano to Endeavour in one list (descending order), as I feel Products like Endeavour, Octavia and even kodiaq for that matter did ok if not good in their respective segments.
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 15:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
1. Hexa - While it did not bring volumes, demonstrated the quality of cars it can produce. It'll be interesting to see if Tata wants to continue selling the Hexa when H7X is out.
A friend's father recently picked up a top of the line Hexa Automatic. I had a small ride in it. The NVH level was not what I expected in a almost 2 Million ₹ car. The steering was hard. The sense of being premium was just there, it could surely have been better. So it may be a step forward for Tata in quality but it is still not there in my opinion. They need to burn a lot more midnight oil to truly reach international level.
BANDHAV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 15:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
While we all know the top selling models, it is now time to see the slow selling models of 2018.

- Renault Captur is the biggest disaster in recent launches.

- SUV's cannot be always the key to success- there are flop ones too.

- MPV's seem to be in demand

- TATA motors seem to be the worst hit with slow moving models - Refresh plans to mitigate this trend.
Surprisingly, Toyota Yaris has not made it to this list. May be this list considers top 30 flops only. Surely, Yaris will make this list in 2019.

It sold 10,799 copies in 9 months of 2018, of which 6347 were pushed in first 3 months to stock up dealers. Last 4 months saw an average of 500.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 16:58   #8
Team-BHP Support

I don't think we can call certain models in this list as slow sellers or flops. The numbers need to be seen in the context of each model's unit price.

Eg: Ford Endeavor has been a steady performer. Those 6,000 units per year would have added around Rs. 1,800 cr to Ford India's topline, because of Endeavor's Rs. 30 Lakh average ticket size. Ford needs to sell 30,000 units of Figo to achieve the same topline.

Last edited by SmartCat : 29th January 2019 at 17:01.
SmartCat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 17:35   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I always thought that the Hexa is important as a symbol more than as a product. It just needs to sit there, gleaming at the head of the line-up. In other words, serve as the flagship. Do you really need to consider it a flop? Ouch! I just took one on my chin.
Old 29th January 2019, 18:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
May be the above list should have been Segment wise rather than putting likes of Nano to Endeavour in one list (descending order)....
I think the list is compiled on the basis of models with sales < 10,000 during the year.

If you check the source, the 30th of the Top 30 has sold only 29,038 units (Tigor). Only TATA seem to have the new models (i.e. models which haven't been upgraded / cosmetic touches). So, the other new models have sold lower numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Surprisingly, Toyota Yaris has not made it to this list
Looks as though none of the models from Toyota - other than Innova - figure in the top 30. Even Corolla reports dwindling numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The numbers need to be seen in the context of each model's unit price.

Eg: Ford Endeavor has been a steady performer. Those 6,000 units per year .....
Hmm... guess volkman10 was highlighting the popularity from buyer's perspective and not that of the manufacturer

In a similar vein, would one consider Skoda Superb as a flop? I won't. Because, 1500+ units p.a. for last three years is a good number. How many people can afford to buy a Superb? Considering the choices they have amongst the models / brands in that price range, probably, the people who buy it aren't looking at it from the numbers sold, but because they want to own one?! So, as long as, Superb continues to sell these numbers, Skoda won't consider it as a flop.
vrprabhu is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks