Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2007, 22:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Teana to be launched in March!!

Hi Guys,

I was surprised to see that T-Bhpiians have missed out on this.

BANGALORE: Japanese automobile major, Nissan, will sink its teeth deeper into the Indian market in 2007. The Carlos Ghosn-led company will launch its first sedan on Indian roads in March. Called the Nissan Teana, the gasoline motor car will be priced at around Rs 21-22 lakh.
The car will be pitted against Toyota Camry and Honda Accord in the Indian market. Nissan currently sells in India its sports utility vehicle (SUV) X-Trail.
Automobile market sources told TOI that the car will be billed as the vehicle that could make Nissan a household name in India.
Nissan was originally scheduled to launch the sedan under the name of Cefiro, as it is known in some of the markets around the world. The launch was slated for January 2007. Later the company felt it was better to roll-out the car under the Teana brandname, the way it is known In Japan.
Nissan Teana is a mid-sized front wheel drive introduced in 2003. It is exported as Nissan Maxima and Nissan Cefiro to certain markets. It shares the platform with the North American Nissan Maxima and Nissan Altima. The Teana coming to India will be powered by a 2.3-litre engine, market sources said.

Source: Nissan to launch Teana in March-India Business-NEWS-The Times of India

Godfather
Old 18th January 2007, 22:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Maxima, even if it shows its age nowadays, is a damn good car. I hope we get the new model that was shown in spyshots on thecarconnection.

2.3? The Maxima STILL SELLS because of its super smooth 3.0, not because of how the car looks.
Old 18th January 2007, 22:25   #3
BHPian

looks like its going to be a winner in its segment according to car magazine January issue its equipped with 24 valve 3.5 l v6 225 bhp 342 nm and also comes with traction control looks like nissan planning to enter this segment with a bang.
Old 18th January 2007, 22:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
looks like its going to be a winner in its segment according to car magazine January issue its equipped with 24 valve 3.5 l v6 225 bhp 342 nm and also comes with traction control looks like nissan planning to enter this segment with a bang.
May be...

but, i dont understand how a 21-22L car will make Nissan a shousehold name in india???
Old 19th January 2007, 00:01   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
May be...
but, i dont understand how a 21-22L car will make Nissan a shousehold name in india???
Exactly!
First of all the news is from TOI - tabloid of India. They mention the news is not from Nissan, but from their "market sources"... gee I wonder who that is.
With all the launches we have seen, launching a maxima is very much possible, and it could very well be true. I do not see any mass market for CBUs. Without a mass market, Nissan being a household name - is far from true.
Old 19th January 2007, 00:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Probably a CBU aimed squarely at the Camry. They dont have a plant and theres no way there are building one before March.
Old 19th January 2007, 00:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

And I thought that the Nissan Vs Toyota battlein India would begin in the small car segment.

With Toyota unable to meet the camry demand due to supply constraints, it should basically be a battle of which manufacturer is able to meet consumer demand better.
Old 19th January 2007, 00:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

BTW Maxima is really not a competition for accord and camry in the US, Altima is pitched against Accord and Camry, Maxima is a step above, so if a car which is step above is priced in almost the same price range it should do well, as is its a better looker than both and is more powerful and is a hell of lot better value than the 2.

I cant wait for it to come to india, another one they should look at is the skyline 4dr or the G sedan it would blow the minds of ppl away and they woudl rather have that than the C or 3 i am sure..

but surely nissan needs a car in 5-6L range, then in 15L range and then in this 22-25L range and may be a 35-40L range for something like M45/Fuga or whatever its called in Japan.

Last edited by 1Day : 19th January 2007 at 00:44.
Old 19th January 2007, 00:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
may be a 35-40L range for something the M45 or Fuga or whatever its called in Japan.
I also read in the papers that Nissan has plans of introducing the Patrol..
Now that is something i am looking forward to..

Godfather
Old 19th January 2007, 11:12   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW Maxima is really not a competition for accord and camry in the US, Altima is pitched against Accord and Camry, Maxima is a step above,
Actually, Maxima is pitched against the Accord & the Camry. The Altima was & is below these two. Anything better than the Accords & Camry's will be the Acura's & Lexus', for which Nissan has it's Infiniti series.

One point to note is that cars are being evolved by manufacturers. The Altima used to be a 2.0L, 4 cyl, like the Civic and the Corolla. It was just about 2 yrs back that Nissan gave it a bigger engine. The dimensions of cars like Altima's & Civic's have also been increased, and categorization is slowly becoming a blur -esp when we compare across generations. It would not be right to compare today's version of one car with an entire generation of another model.

Btw, 1day, my observations at the start here are based on my personal usage, testing, and ownership of these cars.
Old 19th January 2007, 12:36   #11
BHPian

Avalon above Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Actually, Maxima is pitched against the Accord & the Camry. The Altima was & is below these two. Anything better than the Accords & Camry's will be the Acura's & Lexus', for which Nissan has it's Infiniti series.

One point to note is that cars are being evolved by manufacturers. The Altima used to be a 2.0L, 4 cyl, like the Civic and the Corolla. It was just about 2 yrs back that Nissan gave it a bigger engine. The dimensions of cars like Altima's & Civic's have also been increased, and categorization is slowly becoming a blur -esp when we compare across generations. It would not be right to compare today's version of one car with an entire generation of another model.

Btw, 1day, my observations at the start here are based on my personal usage, testing, and ownership of these cars.
There is one car above camry Avalon. Nissan Altima/ Maxima always have been slotted between the two segements: civic/ corolla, camry/ accord, Avalon/.... I thought Nissan tuned for more performance where as Honda/ Toyota catered to reliability, refinement and overall packaging.
Old 19th January 2007, 19:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
There is one car above camry Avalon. Nissan Altima/ Maxima always have been slotted between the two segements: civic/ corolla, camry/ accord, Avalon/.... I thought Nissan tuned for more performance where as Honda/ Toyota catered to reliability, refinement and overall packaging.
This is true, it is only now toyota is trying to give its cars a more sporty touch to it, else it was always meant for the uneventful type of people who lacked in style(IMHO). Honda was somewhere in between with more style and less sportyness whereas nissan was more sporty and more style than toyota and less than honda, but thats changing too..

@condor
actually its, corolla/civic/sentra accord/camry/altima maxima/avalon, I am not disputing how the cars were places many generations ago, but in the last 2 generations atleast this has been the case, maxima has been more expensive than both the accord and camry whereas altima has been right about the same price, altima has the 2 engine options where which is a 4 banger and a V6. anyhow in todays time my statement still holds..

Unfortunately the time when maxima is changing for the worse is when we are getting to have a feel for that awesome awesome car..

The current generation is soo much sexier than the accord and the camry but the new teana has been spoted and if thats whats replaces the maxima in US, it wouldnt be too good i feel :( i want this 1 yr of last gen to come to india that would give a great option to people to choose between, accord, camry, superb and maxima.

Last edited by 1Day : 19th January 2007 at 19:20.
Old 19th January 2007, 20:39   #13
BHPian

Altima seems good

Quote:
This is true, it is only now toyota is trying to give its cars a more sporty touch to it, else it was always meant for the uneventful type of people who lacked in style(IMHO). Honda was somewhere in between with more style and less sportyness whereas nissan was more sporty and more style than toyota and less than honda, but thats changing too..

@condor
actually its, corolla/civic/sentra accord/camry/altima maxima/avalon, I am not disputing how the cars were places many generations ago, but in the last 2 generations atleast this has been the case, maxima has been more expensive than both the accord and camry whereas altima has been right about the same price, altima has the 2 engine options where which is a 4 banger and a V6. anyhow in todays time my statement still holds..

Unfortunately the time when maxima is changing for the worse is when we are getting to have a feel for that awesome awesome car..

The current generation is soo much sexier than the accord and the camry but the new teana has been spoted and if thats whats replaces the maxima in US, it wouldnt be too good i feel :( i want this 1 yr of last gen to come to india that would give a great option to people to choose between, accord, camry, superb and maxima.
Altima has a choice of engines comparable to the performance of maxima, hopefully maxima would not be missed. The body looks great too.
Old 19th January 2007, 23:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

What a pleasant surprise! Maxima is one of the best cars I have driven - I just loved it from every angle. Even the Altima is a very decent car and beats the Corolla hands down in my opinion.

How successful Nissan will be in India will hugely depend on the dealer and service network they will build.
Old 20th January 2007, 03:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
What a pleasant surprise! Maxima is one of the best cars I have driven - I just loved it from every angle. Even the Altima is a very decent car and beats the Corolla hands down in my opinion.

How successful Nissan will be in India will hugely depend on the dealer and service network they will build.
Dude competition for Corolla is Sentra and not really Altima, but I agree Maxima as in its present state is awesome..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks