Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2019, 00:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Rumour: FCA will be discontinuing the Fiat brand in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
FIAT is an Italian brand.
Fiat, Lancia, Alfa Romeo are Italian brands, whose presence slowly diminishes as you get out of Italy. I haven't seen the above 3 outside Southern Europe.

Same way as Ferrari is Italian and Volvo is Swedish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
What amazes me is how apathetic the FIAT management in India is to the changing market conditions. They own magnetti marelli and they still have not introduced any type of automatic transmission in their cars!
This is not specific to India. I don't remember an AT in Fiat brand in home country itself. I only remember Alfa Romeo 147 or 159 with AT.

Last edited by narayans80 : 2nd February 2019 at 00:38.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

Nothing that we didn't know already! Right?

My fear is that Jeep is also going the same way. The talented Italians have always started with an advantage, but is often too too tardy and complacent to maintain and build on that head-start.

Jeep got Compass now - a brilliant product loved by the enthusiasts, media and the masses. Fiat had the Uno, Palio and the Punto during each of their false restarts. And it is really baffling to note that the market had lapped up the bookings for these Fiat cars too in the early days only for it to fall apart for one reason or the other.

Jeep is too slow to introduce the newer variants or models that the market is craving for: the diesel AT, the Trailhawk (hopefully separate and not bundled together and out of reach for many), Renegade for the volume? Likewise, Fiat too was very slow to update and upgrade the products and dealership experience - yes to varying degrees during each false restart.

Jeep is now happy making money by selling the 2.0 MJD. And Fiat made many products stellar hits with the 1.3 MJD in various forms.

It's easy to say these two are pressed from the same sheet of steel.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see Fiat go even though I don't own a Fiat anymore. My dad owned 3 Fiat 600's. My first ever car ride was in one of these. I owned an Uno Petrol and a Petra 1.6 and my brother owned a Palio. Fiat will always have a special place in my heart.
Old 2nd February 2019, 10:22   #34
BHPian

Sad news indeed.

Imagine the feeling of doing PDI of a brand new Abarth in a dealer stockyard over 150kms away from your home and haveing a huge smile plastered on your face after your first ever contact with An Abarth, that too your very own Abarth. And then reading this news of FCA while returning back home. Shattered dreams perhaps

Yes fellows that's exactly what happened to me yesterday. Booked an Abarth last week to fulfill my three year old dream which became a lot affordable recently with the discounts. Not just me, I had company of half a dozen Fiat fans who are also getting their Abarth delivered next week. Won't lie by saying this news does not matter, it does a little.

But what matters more is to be able to own and relish this wonderful piece of pureness in this lifetime. I understand Fiats were never easy to live with and it would be more difficult once they're officially a history in matter of time. But I have support from fellow Fiat owners here on Team Bhp and other Fiat India clubs which makes me confident enough to be able to live with this beast atleast for another half a decade if not more until the new norms kick in.

Now I'm sure a lot of people (probably less on Team Bhp) will call me an idiot to put my hard earned 9 big ones on a dead brand with no future or support. Especially considering this is going to be my only car in house, bought without a test drive (against Tbhp advice I know but had no much choice) bought through a loan and I don't have that spare cash lying around in case the car demands extraordinary upkeep cost.

But I have considered all of that and much more during my buying rationale (which lasted a whole day since I got to know the offer and I paid the booking amount) and I do not regret it one bit. I'd much rather look at the positive sides of this wonderful vehicle and be hopefully confident that the masterclass of this Italian engineering and finesse would not give me an opportunity to think otherwise in coming years.

All in all, thank you Fiat for giving us something which the mainstream car manufacturers never dared or cared to. As Fiat leaves, I would want to remember them for the pure unadulterated driving pleasure that their cars offered rather than anything else because what's the point anyway in pondering upon what Fiat could or couldn't have done better all these years.

Parting with a quick click from PDi yesterday. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: FCA will be discontinuing the Fiat brand in India-screenshot_20190202100848__01.jpg  

camitesh is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 11:22   #35

Though expected but a formal announcement will do some damage to the brand compass. With no definite roadmap for Jeep brand in India, this news must be music to the team Harrier.
Old 2nd February 2019, 11:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

Autocarindia has carried an article on the cars that will be discontinued due to the safety and emission norms
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...Y4fUmto17dLqJ4

Rumour: FCA will be discontinuing the Fiat brand in India-0_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20190201064027_acicarsdyingmain.jpg
Guna is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 13:41   #37
BHPian

Bummer, was really looking forward to the Aegea sedan. That car had a lot of potential to make inroads in the C2 segment. :-(

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd February 2019 at 17:18.
Old 2nd February 2019, 13:54   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat was anyways on the ventilator support and the support was supposed to be pulled at least a year or so back. Finally some sense prevailed from FCA to pull the ventilator support and bury the brand.

If Punto Abarth is still available, grab a few at mouth watering prices and enjoy the hot hatch.
Old 2nd February 2019, 13:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

FIAT cars may no longer be produced in India, but FIAT brand will continue to remain in the hearts of many Indians.

Brilliant products let down by below-par sales team and poor service support.

Everyone knows that FIAT engines will continue to power other cars in India;

and, I am sure we will continue to spot the odd 1100, Padmini, Uno, Palio, Siena, Punto & Linea on our roads every now then (at least one, in the area where I live )

Where there is a will (which FIAT owners possess in ample quantities) there is a way - so who knows, may be years down the line, this thread could be talking of reviving FIAT cars in India!!
vrprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 15:08   #40
BHPian

Finally ! Now, what next? , my thoughts:

FCA group will sell their brands piece by piece or get swallowed by a company/group with bags of cash, and then Fiat may re-enter India 10 years later with an all electric line up.

Meanwhile will we get FCA's other group brands? I dont think so.

Fiat's (unhappy) marriage with Tata and then the divorce cost them dearly, by the time it was breakfast time, the damage was done and they cared less, while Tata went to the gym, spa and parlor for a make over, Fiat chose to go back to sleep.

Sweet dreams baby, you were one of the prettiest and strongest i have ever seen !

Last edited by The Observer : 2nd February 2019 at 15:10.
The Observer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 15:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

What Fiat either failed to realised or was not willing to put in the effort at was the need for a solid service network to support their products. Instead they simply leant on the tremendous respect and adulation that the brand commanded in India. Which as is evident did not translate to money in the bank. Fiat has none but itself to blame especially after the runaway success that the Uno was. Somehow I do not think the Jeep brand is going to fare much better.

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 2nd February 2019, 16:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
Sad news indeed.

Now I'm sure a lot of people (probably less on Team Bhp) will call me an idiot to put my hard earned 9 big ones on a dead brand with no future or support. Especially considering this is going to be my only car in house, bought without a test drive (against Tbhp advice I know but had no much choice) bought through a loan and I don't have that spare cash lying around in case the car demands extraordinary upkeep cost.
camitesh, congrats on your new hot hatch. Dont worry man. When there is a will there is a way. Take care of your baby and treat her with respect and she will never fail you. You have put your money based on the faith that a lot of good souls at team-bhp has given you. It was with the same trust that I entered the FIAT family ten years ago and have never regretted the decision once. So, I am sure your new Abarth will serve you and your family well for many years to come.
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 18:31   #43
BHPian

Good to see so many unsafe cars will be discontinued in the coming months. I wonder why these companies kept on selling them even when they knew these cars were as safe as a corrugated box. But I think some cars could have been given a new life like for example Safari.

For Fiat it was only a matter of time. No new product in the last 5 years (correct me if I'm wrong) and aging Linea was dead product some years ago. Compass owners must be worried now as they probably don't have any plan to launch another mass market product anytime soon. With more competition incoming, compass numbers alone won't help FCA stay afloat year after year. VW needs to pull up their socks too and bring in the new Polo and next gen Vento asap to keep their brand alive, else, they will go down the Fiat way few years down the line.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd February 2019 at 20:07. Reason: Spacing
Old 2nd February 2019, 19:50   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post

Where there is a will (which FIAT owners possess in ample quantities) there is a way - so who knows, may be years down the line, this thread could be talking of reviving FIAT cars in India!!
Will not happen. Fiat brand is losing market share in all markets. In its 2 biggest markets - Italy and Brazil it is falling drastically.
Jeep gains traction in both countries. Is Jeep taking market share away from Fiat due to its popular SUV's?

Rumour: FCA will be discontinuing the Fiat brand in India-1.jpg

Rumour: FCA will be discontinuing the Fiat brand in India-2.jpg

Source:Jato
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 20:01   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
.... Imagine the feeling of doing PDI of a brand new Abarth in a dealer stockyard over 150kms away from your home and haveing a huge smile plastered on your face .....

Now I'm sure a lot of people ... will call me an idiot to put my hard earned 9 big ones on a dead brand with no future or support. Especially considering this is going to be my only car in house.... bought through a loan and I don't have that spare cash lying around ...

All in all, thank you Fiat for giving us something which the mainstream car manufacturers never dared or cared to.
I bet that must have been widest smile on your face, ever

There is a bigger idiot out there - yours truly!! (Prior to the Palio, the only asset I had to my name was a flat costing around 2.50 lakh; thereafter, I buy a car costing 5 lakh with a loan of 4 lakh!! Madness sans pareil - but I haven't regretted it a single day). Still holding on to it, after 15 years.

I just got back the car after some minor repairs; garage was not ready to touch the car, saying that if anything goes wrong during repair work, it would be practically impossible to put it right - lack of parts availability. But luckily, I was able to source all the spares and get the work completed. Almost all the people who took a look at the car said that they don't build cars like these anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
..... while Tata went to the gym, spa and parlor for a make over, Fiat chose to go back to sleep....
Well put. I think FIAT would make a great topic to study for MBAs - both from the point of marketing as well as how a wonderful opportunity was lost due to lackadaisical approach to customers.

FIAT as a brand will never die in India (HM may not be remembered, but Ambassador will always be); so whether they come back or not, Lineas, Puntos, Compasses and Abarths will keep the spirit live forever!

Just a stray thought -

Nano is scrapped. TATA must have written off quite a tidy sum spent in Singur and Sanand.

FIAT discontinued - the Kurla plant would have resulted in huge loss to FCA; Ranjangaon plant may continue to function rolling out engines.

Does this mean that buyers of Nano and FIAT cars got it a much lesser price than what they were actually worth? (I hear that there is excise or sales tax litigation going on because they sold their cars at a sizeable discount and paid tax only on the price recovered from the customer; whereas, the taxman wants it to be paid on pre-discount price. Is this true?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10
Fiat brand is losing market share in all markets. In its 2 biggest markets - Italy and Brazil it is falling drastically. Jeep gains traction in both countries
This is bad news - probably does this signal the beginning of the end of FIAT era?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd February 2019 at 20:07. Reason: Updated after seeing a new post / spacing
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed