Team-BHP - Cars to be discontinued in 2019 due to Safety & Emission regulations
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Cars to be discontinued in 2019 due to Safety & Emission regulations (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/206226-cars-discontinued-2019-due-safety-emission-regulations.html)

Cars to be discontinued in 2019
due to Safety and Emission regulations

Cars to be discontinued in 2019 due to Safety & Emission regulations-screenshot_20190202161016_chrome.jpg

At least 13 models will be axed this year, never to return. The executioner? Tougher safety and emission regulations, which will kick in from April 1, 2019.

Quote:

From October 1, 2019, all cars will have to meet a series of stringent crash test norms that will help weed out cars well past their expiry date, and end the Indian industry’s legacy of producing older-generation products.

Therefore by October this year, many of the older cars will perish as their design and architecture does not allow them to be upgraded to meet the new crash test norms, which involves multiple tests for full-frontal impact, a 40 percent offset and side impact, too. For some models the end could come earlier if they don’t offer ABS brakes, which will be mandatory on all cars from April 1, 2019.

The best thing about the latest regulations is that with one fell swoop it eradicates some of the death traps still being manufactured and elevates the safety standards of the cars sold in India to a global level
FIAT LINEA (2008–2019)
FIAT PUNTO (2009–2019)

HONDA BRIO (2011-2018)

HYUNDAI EON (2011-2018)

MAHINDRA E2O (2013–2019)
MAHINDRA NUVOSPORT (2009–2018)
MAHINDRA VERITO (2011–2019)
MAHINDRA XYLO (2009-2018)
Mahindra Xylo, e-verito, e2o, NuvoSport

MARUTI SUZUKI OMNI (1984–2019)
MARUTI SUZUKIGYPSY (1985–2019)

TATA NANO (2008-2019)
TATA SAFARI (1998-2019)
TATA SUMO (1994-2019)

Full Article link

I would be very surprised if the Alto 800, in its current form does not get axed. Or do the crash safety norms kick in during Oct 2019?

Most of these cars have replacements being sold concurrently or are non starters/losers. The only cars which leave a marked gap are

Mahindra E2O. - The fancy Bangalore factory needs to produce something else or will the Freestyle turn electric
Maruti Gypsy - what will the military do?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 4538135)
Mahindra E2O. - The fancy Bangalore factory needs to produce something else or will the Freestyle turn electric

I think Mahindra is already working on electrifying the KUV100.

Quote:

It has already been replaced by the Tata Safari, hasn't it? The Safari being axed is the real issue.

Anyways, of the cars mentioned in the list, maybe except the Omni, are being axed mostly due to lack of demand and not due to regulatioms. Otherwise, companies are upgrading the platforms of many other cars like Scorpio, Alto etc. To comply with the regulations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 4538135)

Guess Army already started looking towards the Tata Safari. With the dismal sales of Linea and Punto there shouldn't be any impact to FIAT as they have already started pulling plugs from the Indian Market.
Honda should bring the face lifted Brio from the thailand market and have their footprint in the A+ segment.

This list is hardly surprising. Almost all of them are flops, except the Eon (whose replacement - the Santro - has been launched) and Omni which I'm guessing is too old & basic for it to ever meet the new regulations.

There will definitely be more cars added to this list. Other probables include cars like the Datsun Go, Bolt (no sales - why update?) etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by longhorn (Post 4538117)
I would be very surprised if the Alto 800, in its current form does not get axed.

Me too. I guess the next-generation Alto isn't too far away for India (Japanese Alto is slated for launch in October).

I see a significant amount of masala in this article just to ensure its virality:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS Kwt (Post 4538115)
FIAT LINEA (2008–2019)
FIAT PUNTO (2009–2019)

FCA is moving the Fiat brand out, it isn't safety or emissions.

Quote:

HONDA BRIO (2011-2018)

This has already been discontinued, why mention it here.

Quote:

MAHINDRA E2O (2013–2019)

Who buys any of these cars anyway?
The E2O has its 4 door replacement...Wait, the 4 door E2O meets 2019 Safety Norms??:Shockked:

Quote:

The Gypsy was on its way out by MuL after the forces signed up for the GS800.

The Omni is the biggest loss to MUL if this happens.

Quote:

TATA SAFARI (1998-2019)
TATA SUMO (1994-2019)

If the Safari cant clear the safety norms, am pretty sure the Scorpio cant clear them either along with the Bolero.
Why arent they mentioned?

I don't think the list is comprehensive. What about the following cars:

1. Maruti Celerio
2. Maruti Eco
3. Mahindra Scorpio
4. Mahindra Bolero
5. Datsun (almost all cars)
6. Force Trax

Feel free to add if I missed some.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.devdath (Post 4538151)
I see a significant amount of masala in this article just to ensure its virality

Right. Looks like Autocar India hired a couple of copywriters from Times of India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.devdath (Post 4538151)
FCA is moving the Fiat brand out, it isn't safety or emissions.

MJD that Fiat currently have will need heavy modifications to make it compliant to BS VI norms. Return on investment will surely be questioned. It was inevitable that Punto and Linea will be axed. Maruti is moving to its own 1.5 litre diesel and TATA have already moved on. So no incentive for FCA even think of keeping the Punto and Linea going. To top it off, market has moved on long ago.

I think when the article mentions Safari, Sumo and Hexa but skips on Scorpio, Bolero and XUV maybe they mean the current versions and envisage totally new models effort from Mahindra but not TATA due sales numbers for these models.

Needless to say discontinuing the decade old models is not at all bad. It gives room to the new technology and features which can be incorporated in existing old gens. If manufacturers still want to continue the legacy they should consider a total overhaul. I recently checked Santro while taking a test drive of i20 in Hyundai showroom. Although I didn't checked out it closely but from a distant look itself new Santro seemed to be entirely different. I assume same will be the case with interiors as well.

Quote:

Cars to be discontinued in 2019
due to Safety and Emission regulations

Attachment 1844269

At least 13 models will be axed this year, never to return. The executioner? Tougher safety and emission regulations, which will kick in from April 1, 2019.

FIAT LINEA (2008–2019)
FIAT PUNTO (2009–2019)

HONDA BRIO (2011-2018)

HYUNDAI EON (2011-2018)

MAHINDRA E2O (2013–2019)
Mahindra Xylo, e-verito, e2o, NuvoSport

TATA NANO (2008-2019)
TATA SAFARI (1998-2019)
TATA SUMO (1994-2019)

Full Article link

Wow, what? They're discontinuing the Safari, but the extremely flimsy altos and Swifts are still on the run? Pure nonsense.

I sincerely hope that one day, some kind of whistleblower leaks information that catches maruti with their hands dirty, with no option of any loopholes they can exploit.

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4538149)
Me too. I guess the next-generation Alto isn't too far away for India (Japanese Alto is slated for launch in October).

As per my knowledge, Suzuki already has a regulation compliant version of Alto 800. The next gen Alto is not set to arrive before 2020. And company sources tell me that they even have the Future S concept ( built on Alto platform) ready for release this year.
The problem for old cars would not be crash norms but CAFE norms. That thunderbolt will change Indian market in ways enthusiasts will hate.