Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2019, 11:39   #1
Team-BHP Support

Experience: Renewing my Driving License via the Delhi Govt's home delivery service

Step 0:

I got an SMS from the VAAHAN app reminding me that my DL was expiring next month. I had completely forgotten about its expiry and was extremely thankful for the reminder. I had gotten my DL in 1999, before any digitization and before mobile phones became commonplace. I had applied for an International Driving Permit (IDP) sometime in 2014. I was told that upgrading my DL to a smart chip & forensic based one was a mandatory pre-requisite for getting an IDP. I did so, and hence they had my details for the reminder. God bless Digital India and forensics.

Step 1:

After thanking this digital initiative, I went ahead and tried to apply online for the renewal. The site was down for the next 3-4 days. Sigh !! Some things never change, I thought. I envisaged going to the RTO and spending a full day (best case scenario) for the renewal.

Step 2:

I was driving back from work, contemplating when to go the RTO when I suddenly remembered that the Delhi Govt had launched home delivery of essential services. Decided to give that a try.

Step 3:

Googled for the number - 1076 and dialed it.
Surprise no 1 - the call went through in the first attempt
Surprise no 2 - the call was connected to the IVR within three rings
Surprise no 3 - I was through to a human being with only 2 entries on the IVR

Now this gentleman was not a suave talker like your Amex or ICICI executives - he was a little rustic but very polite and well informed of his scope of delivery. Promptly noted down my request of the services, informed me of the charges and the documents required. Offered me choices of time slots when the executive would visit my home. I picked a Saturday 9 am slot at my place. On disconnecting the call, I got the SMS confirmation and a reference number. I was also informed that the executive would call before coming.

Step 4:

I did not get a call from the executive till Saturday morning. At about 9.15 am (15 minutes past the scheduled time), I called up 1076 to check the status. I was informed that my request would definitely be handled today. He apologised for the delay and gave me an option of logging a complaint but suggested waiting for an hour or so to see if the executive would turn up. I chose the latter. Again, the call center experience was above expectations.

Step 5:

I got a call at about 10.15am and the executive turned up at my place at about 11am. He was very polite. Checked all the documents, filled up the form etc on his tablet. I paid in cash - Rs 400 for the renewal and Rs 50 as home service charges.

Then I got a surprise - I would have to visit the RTO once, while I was expecting that this would be a 100% at home service. He informed me that the photo and digital signature would be done at the RTO. The advantage of going through them is a fixed appointment slot. He gave me an option of choosing the date & time. I could see the number of vacancies available in each slot. Chose a Monday morning slot of 8.45-9.45 AM.

The executive promptly mailed me all the docs / receipts that I need to carry. I was misinformed that I need to carry two photos - they were not needed at the RTO.

Step 6:

Visited the RTO only to be told that I had not paid the fees for the change in address of my DL. Since the home delivery executive had specifically entered old & new addresses while filling up the form, it was a clear error from him. This resulted in me having to go to the payment counter to deposit the fees. Now, there were long queues on all counters, except a special one for home delivery services. Thankfully, made the payment again. Via credit card - Rs 200 and via cash - Rs 50 as service charges.

Issue 1: The home delivery counter does not accept cash for the main services, and neither does it have a credit card swipe machine. As a result, the only option is to hand over the credit card to that guy who does a manual entry for the payment. This includes the CVV and the card expiry date. This is a major security risk.

Issue 2: I had to pay Rs 50 service charges again. Had the home delivery executive been right the first time, I would have saved Rs 50 and 15 minutes at the RTO.

Step 7:

Once the above was done, the documents were verified at one counter and a photograph taken at another. In the Dwarka RTO, these are counter numbers 2 & 7 respectively.

I was told that the DL would reach me by post within 7 working days.

Update: Day 10 after the RTO formalities. Did not get the DL or any communication from the RTO. Called up the 1076 helpline and was informed that the license is under process and will take another week or so to complete.

Update: Day 15 - Lodged a formal complaint with the Home Services helpline. Was given a complaint number and was assured a call back.

Update: Day 20 - No response from the Home Delivery guys. No change of status on the RTO website.

Update: Day 25 - Went to the RTO personally to check. It turns out that they had rejected my application because the "Change in DL Address" fees was not paid. And this was the same fees that the home delivery person had failed to inform me about and I had paid at the RTO (Step 6). The RTO did not bother to check that there were actually two payments. When I pointed this out, they accepted their fault.

Update: Day 25 Afternoon: I got an SMS confirmation that my application was approved.

Update: Day 26: I got an SMS confirmation that the DL had been dispatched and was provided a tracking number

Update: Day 27:Finally received the driving license by post.

While the home delivery service was good, I would still suggest the following areas of improvement:

- Ensure First Time Right proper documentation
- Better coordination with offline RTO folks to keep the customer informed and accurate information flow
- Action on the complaint raised, if any

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd March 2019 at 12:45.
Eddy is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 13:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 17:10   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Experience: Renewing my Driving License via the Delhi Govt's home delivery service

Very informative thread. Till now I had only heard about the service on the radio but yours is the first review that I have come across. Its definitely a great initiative for these basic services. I hope unlike other government ventures, this process smoothens out over time. A mental self note is to always check if the person processing your application has entered the details correctly.

Did you not raise a complaint regarding the forced address change fees on their portal? It must have been only a typing error rather than a completely different address right?
Old 24th March 2019, 21:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Experience: Renewing my Driving License via the Delhi Govt's home delivery service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Step 6: ... Since the home delivery executive had specifically entered old & new addresses while filling up the form, it was a clear error from him...
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
It must have been only a typing error rather than a completely different address right?
It seems there was a change in address rather than just typo error, else Eddy wouldn't have mentioned old & new addresses in his post.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 22:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
It seems there was a change in address rather than just typo error, else Eddy wouldn't have mentioned old & new addresses in his post.
In that case did he mention the same to the representative who came to his house? He has mentioned only expiry as the reason behind applying at the start of the post. Hence the confusion.
Old 25th March 2019, 00:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the detailed process guide.

Quote:
Then I got a surprise - I would have to visit the RTO once, while I was expecting that this would be a 100% at home service. He informed me that the photo and digital signature would be done at the RTO. The advantage of going through them is a fixed appointment slot. He gave me an option of choosing the date & time. I could see the number of vacancies available in each slot. Chose a Monday morning slot of 8.45-9.45 AM.

That said, I think this service is pointless for folks like us who can enter the same services online. But yes, for senior citizens or less internet aware folks, this is definitely less intimidating than the government website which is itself quite easy actually.

I had recently gotten my duplicate license issued in 4 hours (queue time under an hour) and gotten my NOC for a move to Gurgaon as well on the same Saturday in 2018, after having applied online.

The inspector at Sheikh Sarai was very kind - he was very supportive and amused to meet someone who had given up his last Delhi ID proof (voter ID card) to prevent fake votes on his name, and gave instructions for handing over the NOC and the new card same day, even after office hours. The whole place is busy but zero touts there - never was anything ever expected, unlike my old visits there in 2001.

Steps for that are simple as well:
a. First, for Delhi request license NOC via https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservice . Then you go to the counter at the appointed time for signature verification and photo.
b. For address change to Gurgaon again
https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservice (for Haryana, choose services on DL and enter original DL number)
c. Gurgaon - At mini secretariat (9am-1pm only):
  • Buy a "standard" file from counter 2 (its an illogical Rs 15 step, don't ask me why) , attach printout and required proofs (please carry from home)
  • Get confirmation from counter 10 that the documents are okay.
  • Submit files at counter 13. If your data is old, they will click photo and take digital sign.
  • My license was originally issued in 2001 - but even as of May 2018, I was not required to retake any driving test.
  • My license expiry date is still 2021 - so basically it is still a reissue.
phamilyman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 13:28   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did you not raise a complaint regarding the forced address change fees on their portal? It must have been only a typing error rather than a completely different address right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Quote:
In that case did he mention the same to the representative who came to his house? He has mentioned only expiry as the reason behind applying at the start of the post. Hence the confusion.
Yes, I was renewing because the DL had expired. At the same time, there was a change of address too. Now neither me nor the home delivery person was aware that there is an extra fees for address change. Ideally, he should have been informed and included the same in the payment at one go.

It was only at the RTO that I realised that this was to be paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That said, I think this service is pointless for folks like us who can enter the same services online. But yes, for senior citizens or less internet aware folks, this is definitely less intimidating than the government website which is itself quite easy actually.
It is a boon for the non-IT enabled section of the society. Also good for you and me when the govt websites are down, like in my case. Although I am not sure how often this happens.

Quote:
The whole place is busy but zero touts there - never was anything ever expected, unlike my old visits there in 2001.
The dwarka RTO is also a sight - being a new setup, it's done up quite well. Clean restrooms too.

Last edited by Eddy : 25th March 2019 at 13:30.
Eddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 10:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I was renewing because the DL had expired.
For renewal, don't they make you take a driving test again?
Old 28th March 2019, 11:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Here is my experience
. Went to the portal
https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiserv...teSelection.do
. Selected Delhi, and RTO
. Input my license number
. The site promptly displayed all the relevant information, including expiry date
. Downloaded the application
. Paid fees online
. Got a date for visit to RTO

As I am above 50, have to get a medical certificate. The application has all the relevant information printed, so all that I had to do was to fill up my Adhar Number, paste two photographs and sign. The application has 9 pages which contains the pages for medical certificate.

Went to RTO and got the Medical certificate signed. The Lady Doctor also went though the application and ticked the boxes in the self declaration.

I went for the appointment on the date and time specified. You have to carry the application form and photocopy of Adhar card. The line for renewal was quite short and it took about 15 minutes. The person on the counter checked the application and when he was satisfied, I got my photograph and finger print on the next counter. The good thing is that every counter dealing with license, that requires photograph and biometric has one next to it, so no need to search and wait as in the previous system.

All told the whole thing took 25 minutes. Went for the appointment on Monday and the license arrived the next Monday. That is fast work.
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 12:01   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
For renewal, don't they make you take a driving test again?
No driving test again. If you are over 40, you need a medical fitness certificate.
Old 28th March 2019, 20:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

At the Gurgaon RTO one needs a medical certificate if one is above 50. Guess it varies from one state to another, though illogical
Old 28th March 2019, 21:32   #12
Team-BHP Support

The other thing was that nobody - neither the home delivery person, nor at the RTO - could confirm the validity of the renewed license at the time of application. Standard answer - "the system will decide".

I am 38 and hence did not need to submit the medical certificate. I was worried that they'd renew it till I turn 40, so less than 2 years and then ask for a medical certificate for the next renewal. Thankfully, the license was renewed till I turn 50 so that turned out to be ok.
Old 30th March 2019, 10:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The other thing was that nobody - neither the home delivery person, nor at the RTO - could confirm the validity of the renewed license at the time of application. Standard answer - "the system will decide".

I am 38 and hence did not need to submit the medical certificate. I was worried that they'd renew it till I turn 40, so less than 2 years and then ask for a medical certificate for the next renewal. Thankfully, the license was renewed till I turn 50 so that turned out to be ok.
As far as I know the license is renewed for 20 years or till you tun 50, which ever is first.

Medical certificate for those past 50 is a requirement of Motor Vehicle Act, so should be same in all states.
Old 30th March 2019, 12:16   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As far as I know the license is renewed for 20 years or till you tun 50, which ever is first.

I think that is the case for a fresh issue. Mathematically not possible in a renewal, under normal circumstances age 50 will always be before 20 years

Quote:
Medical certificate for those past 50 is a requirement of Motor Vehicle Act, so should be same in all states
For a renewal, medical certificate is needed for 40+ age.

Last edited by Eddy : 30th March 2019 at 12:18.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 12:51   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

In KL renewed license is of 10 years validity, past 50 years renewed license is of 5 years validity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks