Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2020, 14:27   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
These rebadged cars are just about cheating your customers. And you'll dilute your brand over time as well.

Why should that be the case? The customer is buying the car with eyes fully open.The customer would know that this is a rebadge, yet he may be going for a brand promise that differentiates from the original. Toyota is playing smart by ensuring that it gets volumes going in the lower and middle segment and is not a one/two trick pony (you need to keep the dealerships ticking too).
Its a pity that they arent being innovative technology wise, but that's a long way from cheating.
Old 6th August 2020, 14:46   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess this is the final look of the Urban Cruiser, grill and lower half of the bumper look very similar to the Fortuner’s
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-99c846510e6242b995ab02801f5b7172.jpeg  

CEF_Beasts is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 14:59   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I guess this is the final look of the Urban Cruiser, grill and lower half of the bumper look very similar to the Fortuner’s
Not sure if this is indeed the real version, but if so, is this Toyota's idea of differentiation? They seem to have progressed from badge engineering to badge and bumper engineering
2cents is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 15:15   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
If this is true, i am surprised to see how brave Toyota is in offending the Fortuner’s customer by making the Brezza look same. This MS-Toyota badge engineering is setting a wrong precedent in the Indian market. I feel the Korean duo is all set to rule our market for the next decade while the Japanese play cheap tricks and lose.

Last edited by GTO : 11th March 2024 at 08:51. Reason: One word
hydraulicsteer is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 16:26   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a better job by Toyota than a Glanza from the name to the looks IMO. Interested to see how market responds to this.

A Brezza is like a chameleon in some ways. As easily as a chameleon can camouflage itself with it's surroundings, a Brezza can transform itself into any car it wants...all it needs is just a grille change!!

Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-img20200806wa001701.jpeg
Toyota Fortuner

Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-images-4.jpeg
Jeep Compass

Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-images-2.jpeg
Land Rover Discovery

Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-images-5.jpeg
Mercedes

Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-images-3.jpeg
Ford Endeavor

Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-images.jpeg
Lexus

Source of Images: Google Image search
hemanth.anand is offline   (119) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 16:44   #81
Senior - BHPian

Thank god Toyota didn't name it combining the names of Vitara Brezza and Fortuner like Brezzuner, Brefort , Forezza, Fortara

Last edited by Venkatesh : 6th August 2020 at 17:03.
Venkatesh is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 17:39   #82
BHPian

"World exclusive" on Autocar cover? This better be more than a grill change.

For a company of Toyota's size, I'm pretty sure they have a substantial parts bin to make it a differentiated product vs Brezza. Interestingly, they do not seem to have any small size petrol engines developed in recent times. Daihatsu engines seem to be too small. So, as many mentioned here, a 6 speed automatic would be a good start.

Off topic, their previous attempt to badge engineering resulted in a model people call Toyota Baleno. So, better this not be Toyota Brezza.
WhiteKnight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 18:12   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
"World exclusive" on Autocar cover? This better be more than a grill change.
And a terrible attempt by ACI in rendering. Simply slapping the latest gen Toyota Fortuner's grille design with minimal changes into a Brezza is so lame!? While MSIL-Toyota have shown already that they don't want to take much efforts in making changes in sharing - I expected more efforts from ACI at least!
Reinhard is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 18:26   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
And a terrible attempt by ACI in rendering. ---l
Looks like it is not a render, but the actual image

Quote:
we’ve got our hands on a world-exclusive first image of the new compact SUV that’s based on the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th August 2020 at 18:34.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 20:09   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
And a terrible attempt by ACI in rendering. Simply slapping the latest gen Toyota Fortuner's grille design with minimal changes into a Brezza is so lame!? While MSIL-Toyota have shown already that they don't want to take much efforts in making changes in sharing - I expected more efforts from ACI at least!
Well, it may look terrible or badly edited but it is what you're going to get as Mr.Hormazd Sorabjee claims that it's the actual image of the car!
I was expecting a Rav4 like front-end but this doesn't look bad either. Good for folks who always wanted a cheaper Fortuner
Nazaar25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 20:13   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
Well, it may look terrible or badly edited but it is what you're going to get as Mr.Hormazd Sorabjee claims that it's the actual image of the car!
I was expecting a Rav4 like front-end but this doesn't look bad either. Good for folks who always wanted a cheaper Fortuner
yep, looks like "this is it". In which case, its another reason why we all felt Toyota's "teaser" was a waste of time and money. A teaser for a car thats being unveiled by a magazine. Couldn't look any more stupid .
Reinhard is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 20:21   #87
Senior - BHPian

I admit, of all the versions of Brezzas in the market, I like the 'Range Rover' version the most

Not a bad design from Toyota though. This time they have a different set of alloys too. This will sell.
Old 6th August 2020, 20:28   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Looks like it is not a render, but the actual image
I don't feel the same because the vertical silver slats on both sides of the grill have different bottom. The driver side one curves towards centre while the one on passenger side does not. The driver side headlamp is titled way too much for it be a photography angle problem.
If ACI is telling the truth, then it is simply a rendered image by toyota. But no way the real image.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21-img_20200806_201800.jpg  

YD14 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 21:17   #89
BHPian

From my inside sources, I understood that this indeed is the final product. All I can say is that at least they put in a little more effort this time around

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
I don't know why some members here behave so immaturely on such badge sharing exercises. This might be a new concept here for some, but elsewhere in the world its quite common. In Europe, Toyota, Peugeot and Citroen have many products which are badge engineered.
1.) Toyota Proace Verso, Peugeot Traveller and Citroen Jumpy Spacetourer are same.
2.) Toyota Proace City, Peugeot Rifter and Citroen Berlingo are same.
3.) Toyota Aygo, Peugeot 108 and Citroen C1 are same.
4.) Historically, hatchback SX4 and Ignis (the older version not launched in India) were used both by Fiat and Suzuki.
There is a world of difference between jointly engineered and badge engineered. The cases you've put forward above are all developed jointly by respective manufacturers, except for maybe the first two generations of the Toyota ProAce siblings. No one manufacturer in that set has merely slapped their badge on another's vehicle but been part of the development from the ground up. This is not the case with the Brezza/Urban Cruiser or the Baleno/Glanza, where Toyota have merely changed badges, grilles and bumpers (negligible investment) of vehicles originally developed by Suzuki and that's why many find this practice deplorable.

I'm sure most BHPians posting here are aware of the same, especially considering this was clarified previously on the Glanza thread. There's no need to call anyone out for it.

Last edited by saur95 : 6th August 2020 at 21:20.
saur95 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 21:41   #90
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saur95 View Post
There is a world of difference between jointly engineered and badge engineered.
Irrespective of whether its badge or joint engineering, the final product (Toyota, Peugeot and Citroen) has no differentiation apart from the badge. Not even the grille or bumper. Brezza/Urban Criser and Baleno/Glanza have atleast that much differentiation. And Toyota is sharing platform here with Suzuki which is not a big risk for Toyota, as Suzuki products are themselves quite thoroughly engineered, running fuss free for 2-3 Lakh Km's. One could have raised concerns had Toyota chosen to use an Innova or Fortuner type product from Suzuki, but these small cars are city, highway dwellers, and Suzuki makes the best products in that segment.
But, at the end of the day, Toyota is not bothered because for every 10 people on forums like ours who detest such badge engineering jobs, there are 100 others who don't mind or don't even know about all this. Toyota is more interested in those 100 and rightly so.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th August 2020 at 06:55. Reason: Please avoid personal attacks on other BHPians
chaudh2s is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks