Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What should be done of (pre-production) Media Drive vehicles?
Scrap them 18 4.00%
Send back to plant and re-fit to latest version and then sell them 15 3.33%
Keep as display in showroom 59 13.11%
Use internally by the company for employees and mundane jobs 300 66.67%
Use for crash tests 151 33.56%
Use for future testing of engine options, new features 227 50.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 450. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th February 2019, 07:39   #16
BHPian

Default Re: What should be done to (pre-production) Media Drive vehicles?

This is what happens to pre-production vehicles abroad, I think (video not for faint of heart )

I think these pre-production cars cannot get registered as some components in them are different than what makes it to the final production spec car (which is homologated). Also, maybe variants having different body-styles, engines, steering configuration etc for export market are also some of the ones which gets recycled.

Last edited by Games Goblin : 6th February 2019 at 07:40. Reason: typo
Games Goblin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 07:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

I know Ford does the below,

1. Classify the pre-production and Dealer Non-saleable (DNS) cars.
2. Make them roadworthy.
3. Throw in warranty.
3. Sell them to employees ONLY through auction or a minimum base price.

My friends have got cars at great prices. The cars themselves had no issues per se. On a case to case basis they'd have nice or weird options.

This may not be possible for a two-wheeler or a large scale manufacturer like Maruti/Hyundai. Their output is so high and there's only so many vehicles their employees can buy or use. I'd be interested to know what they do.

Last edited by kiku007 : 6th February 2019 at 08:02.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 10:03   #18

It depends completely on what stage of pre-production testing was it at.
In most manufacturing companies, they scrap the ones that are from the initial lot.

As you see the initial lot will have a lot of work to be done upon, and are devoid of meeting all the regulations.

Meanwhile, most manufacturers, do use their project/test cars, which are nearing the Start of Production (Domain of most Media Cars) for internal purpose (not allowed to be driven outside the company premises.)

This way, the cars are used for sometime, and then scrapped, rather than scrapping them directly.
Nifty.Nishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 10:04   #19

Voted for internal company use.
May be the manufactures could also look at donating these vehicles as taxis (to poor people) or some NGOs which will utilise it for some cause in rural areas.
biller777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 10:24   #20
BHPian

At Renault-Nissan, I've seen Pre-SOP lot includes, specific media drive vehicles. Pre-SOP vehicles are salable, but not given to customers outside. Usually they are sold to employees through auction at a very reasonable pricing.
redbaron91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 12:02   #21
BHPian

Sell them to Michael Bay or his Desi counterpart. They can use them in movies and blow them up!
deepfreak15 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 12:23   #22
BHPian

Pre production cars in its true sense shouldn't be used for Media drives. It makes no sense to leave a poor impression with the media when they have the ability to leave a lasting impression on the buyer. In fact the cars used for the media drives have to be the final product with no compromise. Any car that doesn't meet this requirement needs to be sent back to the factory either to be used for testing or future R&D studies.
chittybang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 13:04   #23

I have a slightly different take on the usage of these vehicles.

Since they may have certain components which may not be production spec, I have the below suggestion:
1. Strip down the vehicle.
2. Scrap the components which are not production spec.
3. Use the other components (production spec) for repair related replacements with onus being on the manufacturer to ensure that these components are labelled as used, customer is given the option to choose between new and used and also priced accordingly.

The above option ensures that we are not wasting 100% and ensuring reuse where reasonably possible.
MS_Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 13:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Tata used its JTP media cars as Test drive vehicles for few of its showrooms. Best use possible i would say
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 13:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Tata used its JTP media cars as Test drive vehicles for few of its showrooms. Best use possible i would say
This poll was created out of the Harrier thread due to the pre-production media drive cars being used as display vehicles in showrooms and people highlighting all the flaws in them. Not good for the image of the car in the minds of customers. Not sure if those JTP media cars were better built than the Harrier ones.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 15:28   #26

My cousin who works in Tata Motors has bought a media drive car (Bolt). In fact, a lot of people want to buy these cars because they get it at a discounted price. And these discounts are anywhere between Rs.30,000 to Rs.1,00,000 depending on the segment of the car.
free_will is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 15:40   #27
BHPian

The cars should be given to their employees whom they deem fit, or anyone else. Getting customers to check it out could be a risk in view any negative points, will be highlighted and they may lose their customer. What they should not do is spruce them for sales.
sparky@home is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 15:57   #28
BHPian

Have voted for "Use internally by the company for employees and mundane jobs" because only that seems like the most logical thing to do.

As far as I can tell, the cost of these pre-production cars would have been absorbed in the R&D budget of the company and most likely would have also been capitalized as an asset. Rather than selling them, these cars can be used for ferrying company honchos. Also, capitalization should help the company claim for depreciation too. Accounts people can correct me if I am wrong.

Some manufacturers can also arrange these cars as "loaner" cars for their customers if the customer cars are held up in the company authorized workshops for some reason.
vshankarhere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 15:59   #29
BHPian

Apart from scrapping or keeping them as display cars, they can be made to multiple uses. Giving them to employees would be my first choice followed by internal use, further tests for properly fitted parts, crash tests. But I had been under the impression that media cars and the actual production cars won't have much difference. If media cars should be considered pre-prod cars how can they give a fair review?
emkay.india is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 01:08   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Decorate the car in the best possible way with all the required accessories, so it attracts attention on road.

Then use the car to ferry company staffs or internal purposes. None is going to check it in details, whereas the car being a looker will definitely fetch few customers to its showroom for some inquiry!
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote