Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What should be done of (pre-production) Media Drive vehicles?
Scrap them 19 4.10%
Send back to plant and re-fit to latest version and then sell them 15 3.24%
Keep as display in showroom 62 13.39%
Use internally by the company for employees and mundane jobs 310 66.95%
Use for crash tests 154 33.26%
Use for future testing of engine options, new features 233 50.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 463. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2019, 02:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: What should be done to (pre-production) Media Drive vehicles?

My reply is on the basis that the cars used for media drives are production spec, no prototypes.

Quote:
- Use for future testing of engine options, new features
- Use internally by the company for employees and mundane jobs
Using them is the way to go. These are great options. I've actually seen a lot of Hyundai cars in their Chennai plant. Most of them were unregistered though. They can even sell the cars to some employees at a discount rate by giving them an extended warranty.

Also, a regular NA baleno can be used to mount the 1.0 engine and test the car internally. Can be re-registered for testing on public roads.
Quote:
Scrap them
Not a good option considering that the negative impact it'll create on the environment. The supply chain, manufacturing and recycling carbon footprint will be too large.
Quote:
Use for crash tests
Wouldn't recommend as I think it'd be breaking the protocol.
Quote:
Keep as display in showroom
The best option. Blemish-free cars can be sent to showrooms. They can also be touched up to cover up the abuse the car undergoes during media drives.
Quote:
Send back to plant and re-fit to latest version and then sell the
Logistical nightmare, too complicated. Simply not worth it.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 8th February 2019 at 02:59.
Old 9th February 2019, 05:18   #32
BHPian

During a visit to manufacturing facility I had come across several odd cars, never seen before colours and variants. I was told that they were ex-trial carsThe same was used to ferry people inside the plant. Few of them did not have permanent registration so probably they would never end up being sold, others could end up being sold after their life cycle. Considering the abuse these cars would have gone through their life cycle as a test car, I feel sorry for these vehicles.
Media drive cars on the other hand would be better off as manufacturers would take great care in ensuring that scribes do not get their hands on a lemon.
I know a Auto Journo who is also a forum member who bought a media drive car from the manufacturer. Can't say he got a good deal because he ended up paying a hefty road tax to get it registered in Kerala. He said that the particular car that he got was superior to the production model.

Last edited by sureshkishore : 9th February 2019 at 05:25.
Old 9th February 2019, 11:00   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
. Can't say he got a good deal because he ended up paying a hefty road tax to get it registered in Kerala. He said that the particular car that he got was superior to the production model.
Let me add that in case of some models that are imported initially before local production like BMW's and Mercedes, the specs will be a lot superior. In addition to pre-production models, well fettled local models, one also gets the imported prelaunch models - used for training, customer clinics, dealer previews and media drives

The CLA petrol that I tested for the first half of the day had dual zone climate control, rear AC vents amongst other things. The diesel version that I later drove was stark naked - a basic air con and thats it
Old 9th February 2019, 12:54   #34
BHPian

I feel they can be used for multiple purposes.
I have chosen the last 3 options i.e. Use internally by the company for employees and mundane jobs, Use for crash tests, Use for future testing of engine options, new features.
The first three options should not be chosen by them IMHO.
Old 7th March 2019, 15:03   #35
BHPian

Some of the common practices of manufacturers according to my observations are:

1. Media cars are usually used by employees only.
2. Cars imported for R&D are also used by employees.
3. The multiple special edition cars displayed at Auto Expos are kept lying unused or used by employees or sold to a customer provided there are no engineering changes in the car..
4. The camouflaged test mules are used by lower level employees.
5. The products ready for launch which are discarded at the last minute are used internally or are just kept lying at the plant in a corner.
Old 19th April 2019, 10:35   #36
Senior - BHPian

I came across a Baleno RS media car at a local car dealer (8k driven). It is not a pre-production car but a final production car.

The car is of the same lot (same color, registration series and date Dec'2016, registered in name of MSIL) as the following video:

The seller quotes 6.50 but ready to sell at 6.00 lakhs. The car looks brand new inside out.

Worth it (even if consider it as Alpha variant)?

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 19th April 2019 at 10:43.
Old 23rd March 2023, 13:10   #37
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone has any experience with M&M pre production cars? Is it advisable to buy one?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd March 2023 at 13:12. Reason: Formatting

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks