Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2019, 08:15   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota plans new MPV & SUV in the Rs 15 - 20 lakh bracket

Toyota is all set to bring in a NEW SUV that is lighter, more fuel efficient and in the price range of ₹ 15 L to ₹ 20 L. Expect the vehicle to adhere to the stringent cleaner and greener norms that has Toyota's Hybrid technology.

While seeing the C-HR on tests in India, it is of no surprise, that the SUV will be a full hybrid car.

Quote:
The new C SUV is likely to come with a pure hybrid solution, which the company likes to call a ‘selfcharging electric vehicle’
In all likelihood the platform will be shared with Maruti Suzuki.

Quote:
Toyota’s new MPV is likely to sit between the Innova and the new SUV, and will take on the Jeep Compass head-on.
Quote:
The new C SUV is likely to come with a hybrid solution and will be based on the lighter monocoque, or unibody architecture, which will help the company meet the upcoming stringent corporate average fuel economy, or CAFÉ norms
The C SUV architecture is planned for a 2022-2023 market launch.

Source:

More clarity based on the article (Updated)

Quote:
- New MPV and SUV from Toyota being considered.

- SUV to be ~ ₹15 - 20L price bracket

- Toyota’s new MPV is likely to sit between the Innova and the new SUV

- C MPV architecture is planned for a 2022-2023 market launch, and to be shared with Maruti Suzuki

- The C MPV is almost in the final stages of approval

- The new C MPV is likely to come with a hybrid solution and will be based on the lighter monocoque
Link

Last edited by Aditya : 8th February 2019 at 14:48. Reason: Typo
volkman10 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 09:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota plans new MPV & SUV in the Rs 15 - 20 lakh bracket

If I understood the report correctly Toyota's lineup in the near future will probably look like the list in the image below (correct me if my understanding wrong). Also in the report, there is more talk about the new C-MPV and not much about the new C-SUV. That leads me to think that the new SUV and the Toyota's version of Brezza are probably the same car.

Toyota plans new MPV & SUV in the Rs 15 - 20 lakh bracket-capture.jpg
*prices taken from Toyota website

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 7th February 2019 at 09:28.
hemanth.anand is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 09:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
That leads me to think that the new SUV and the Toyota's version of Brezza are probably the same car.
Then that leads to the confusion in title of the article - Toyota's 'Brezza' to rival Jeep Compass ?

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th February 2019 at 09:35.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 09:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Then that leads to the confusion in title of the article - Toyota's 'Brezza' to rival Jeep Compass ?
True, very hazy article IMO.

The title says that the new SUV will take on the Compass
Quote:
Toyota to drive in new SUV to take on Jeep Compass
While in the body of the article, it is written that the MPV will take on the Compass
Quote:
With the new Innova Crysta transitioning to the higher price bracket, Toyota’s new MPV is likely to sit between the Innova and the new SUV, and will take on the Jeep Compass head-on.
Old 7th February 2019, 10:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

The mention of an SUV and MPV below the Innova - makes me think this would be the Rush / Avanza platform and combination.

Going by Toyota's history of success with MPVs - I think this would be a very good move, if indeed true.

Toyota plans new MPV & SUV in the Rs 15 - 20 lakh bracket-rt_v_496de91856ee4d17b524d4d994ba526e.jpg

Toyota plans new MPV & SUV in the Rs 15 - 20 lakh bracket-021.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th February 2019 at 10:26.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 11:50   #6
BHPian

Knowing Toyota's behaviour towards Indian market, I guess its too difficult to forecast what the management thinks. I feel somehow they have lost the innovation of capitalising market. They somehow look very lethargic and unresponsive to Indian market. They have all sort of cars in global market, its just a matter of doing quick research and bringing those models at a affordable price suited to Indian roads and Customers requirement.[With such a huge base of their bread and butter models, more than half of the job is already done]

The success of Innova and Fortuner has gone to their head and they feel they can replicate same success in all other categories. At a time when competition is aggressive and ruthless I guess its high time for them to gear up and execute more on ground. Reliability of their vehicles is no more a luxury USP which they should bank on now. Its time to explore more dimensions.
peus017 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 13:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wont be surprised if Toyota rebadges the Ertiga and names it Qualis!
fx45 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 15:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The mention of an SUV and MPV below the Innova - makes me think this would be the Rush / Avanza platform and combination.

Going by Toyota's history of success with MPVs - I think this would be a very good move, if indeed true.

I wonder if this will ever happen though !! Rush competes with Ertiga and they would as well re-badge Ertiga and take the easy route. We all have seen what happened to Yaris and Toyota may not want to repeat it again !!

Also the other aspect being Toyota sharing this C-MPV platform with Maruti, They already have Ertiga and do not need this in the near future as well !!
Old 7th February 2019, 15:27   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Also the other aspect being Toyota sharing this C-MPV platform with Maruti, They already have Ertiga and do not need this in the near future as well !!
There is a HUGE price gap between the Ertiga and the Innova, a space which Mahindra has cleverly filled with the Marazzo. A Toyota MPV could very well occupy this space and their Innova street-cred will help them easily pull it off - as compared to Yaris.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 16:11   #10
BHPian

From what i understand, it will be a C-SUV that will meet the upcoming 2022 CAFE norms.
Old 7th February 2019, 16:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
There is a HUGE price gap between the Ertiga and the Innova, a space which Mahindra has cleverly filled with the Marazzo. A Toyota MPV could very well occupy this space and their Innova street-cred will help them easily pull it off - as compared to Yaris.
Indeed. With every product launch Toyota can clearly see that not only is the Utility Vehicles the only segment they've found acceptance, but also brings fat revenues (and thus margins) for which their competitors have to sell exponentially higher products. Liva, Etios and now Yaris; all have ended up cementing the same sentiment.

And the management must be desperate to seize back the 10-15L segment. Not only Marazzo, but the mighty Creta could feel the heat too if Toyota can come up with a capable product.
avisidhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 16:34   #12
BHPian

Pardon my ignorance, but I always thought the Innova was Toyota's bread and butter car. Rest all were flops. Liva, Etios and Yaris are not doing good numbers.

Last edited by GTO : 8th February 2019 at 09:36. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts correctly
Mishrap is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th February 2019, 19:53   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

What Tata, Jeep, Hyundai brings today, Toyota will do the same after 4-5 years and that too with an inflated price tag.
If they do not learn a lesson from the Yaris yet, it will be too late for Toyota.

As of now Toyota can plonk their 1.5L petrol on the Toyota Brezza and launch it at a competitive price! Surely it will sale!
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 09:45   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by peus017 View Post
I feel somehow they have lost the innovation of capitalising market. They somehow look very lethargic and unresponsive to Indian market. They have all sort of cars in global market, its just a matter of doing quick research and bringing those models at a affordable price suited to Indian roads and Customers requirement.
Whenever I see Toyota India, all I see is a company that lost mega opportunities. Toyota globally has such a wide portfolio with innumerable options & sizes in every possible body style. Yet, their success formula mainly revolves around the Innova & Fortuner. The company is too lazy & slow. Even with the Fortuner, I remember the market waiting for it for 5 long years before it was launched here.

But then, Toyota has just spoken with their bank account to buy its way into dominating India. How? The partnership with Suzuki.

Back to the topic, the segment is there & the demand is there (as proven by the likes of the Creta). Let's see how Toyota responds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Wont be surprised if Toyota rebadges the Ertiga and names it Qualis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
they would as well re-badge Ertiga and take the easy route.
On a serious note, Toyota is smart enough to know that the rebadged Marutis will have limited market success. This rebadging exercise was just to add some spit shine to the partnership. Long term, it's going to swallow Suzuki up.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 10:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
What it means is: the vehicle will be Toyota Brezza, but its price will rival Jeep Compass.

It is strange that after so many years in India, Toyota has not been able to find one vehicle in their entire international portfolio to suit India's 10-15 lakhs segment. They are plain lazy and they will continue to be as long as they can make 1000 crore profit just by selling Innova and Fortuner.
ashlil is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed