Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Top Variant of a particular Segment or Entry/Mid variant of the next segment?
Top variant of particular segment 319 54.72%
Entry/Mid variant of next segment 240 41.17%
Others 24 4.12%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2019, 10:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Top variant of lower segment vs lower variant of higher segment

If safety features are same I would pick lower variant of higher segment. Otherwise I'd do vice versa.
Old 11th February 2019, 10:36   #17
BHPian

The key here is whats the price gap between the two. Consider 3 Honda cars, Amaze, City and Civic.

I believe the price gap between top end of Amaze and base version of City may not exceed 3 L, so I would go for the City. We cannot do the came comparison between City and Civic (assuming Honda launches the latest version of the Civic). I am sure that the price gap would be huge enough for me to buy a base variant of Amaze !
Old 11th February 2019, 10:46   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted for entry/mid variant of the next segment. My reasons are pretty similar to ones voiced earlier on this thread. I select a car first and then choose a model which has all the basic features that I need. For example: I would choose the Ecosport Trend+ or Titanium if I wanted to buy an Ecosport and even if I had the budget for the top end model.

1. I value mechanical setup and comfort of the car much more than additional features.

2. I don't want extra electronics in the car as they increase chances of failure.

3. I value space a lot.

4. In many cases, moving to the next segment gives us a bigger/better engine which is important for petrolheads like us.

5. Safety features are important but now they are being made standard across variants. That helps to take a decision to move to the higher segment.

6. Lastly, I can choose specific aftermarket features of my choice to be added in the car without having to pay a large amount for all the features of the top end model.

I am currently in that dilemma. I have started scouting for a new car and got to drive the following cars - Brezza ZDI, Freestyle Titanium and Ecosport Signature. They belong to friends and family and I got a chance to drive these before I planned to take a TD.

They all fall in my budget but for my size, they all felt a size small on interior space. I drive a WagonR currently and I didn't find much value in these cars, strictly in terms of space. During this time, I also sat in a Creta. The experience was definitely better than the above cars. That brings in the Creta E+ into the picture while keeping the budget constant. And its not surprising that the E+ is one of the highest selling model of Creta. There's a thread as well:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...a-goodies.html (The curious case of the ‘converted’ Cretas! People buying lower variants & then adding extra goodies)

Last edited by ashis89 : 11th February 2019 at 10:50.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 11:38   #19
BHPian

Had this quandary few months back.

Had to choose between Ignis Zeta and Baleno Sigma.

Safety features were same in both, except for the rear wash wipe in the Ignis.

Opted for the Baleno Sigma.
Old 11th February 2019, 12:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

2 years ago, I would have voted for the top variants of the lower segment. But times have changed.

These days, most new cars come with standard safety features in all variants. In some cases (eg. Innova), base gets 2 airbags while top gets more. But when comparing with lower model, if the bigger car offers better space and better engine / suspension etc., I will pick it up keeping safety features equal.

While I can survive without a music system, remote key, push start button etc., I hate driving a drab car.
blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 13:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Tricky one to answer.
I can give couple of examples here
1. Ignis/Baleno manual instead of Top end Celerio automatic
2. Honda city any day instead of top end Amaze/WR-V

However there are cases where I would rather go with a top end
1. Honda city ZX instead of plain-jane Octavia/Elantra/Corolla manual
2. Top end XUV300/Nexon as against the base Creta/Duster etc.

So, to me it all boils down to the car in question.
Old 11th February 2019, 14:25   #22
Team-BHP Support

The choice will depend on the brand.
If I have to choose between a top variant of a 3-series and a mid-variant of 5-series, I will go with the 5, because BMW (or similar brands) will have the safety features standard across all variants.
On the other hand, if it’s a decision between top variant XUV300 and a base variant of XUV500, the choice will be the smaller car because our mass manufacturers reserve safety features for the top variant. Same goes for, say Ecosport vs Creta.

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th February 2019 at 14:27.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 16:57   #23
BHPian

I strictly believe a car which can keep me engaged "mechanically" is far better deal than one with dull engine or a damp steering surrounded with bells and whistles. Which means I would prefer bigger and punchier engine and handling over say rain sensing wipers and the likes. Couple of examples I could think of:

a) Honda City SV over WRV VX simply because of the sweet iVTEC engine.
b) Jeep Compass Sports over Creta SX(O)

However, this doesnt mean I would buy a bigger car just because of it being bigger or snob value.
Eg.
I would prefer a Ford Freestyle Titanuim TDCi over say a Ciaz Sigma Diesel

Out of two dull engines,I'll prefer the one with better mechanicals
eg. Yaris J CVT over Ciaz Delta AT simply because of the butter smooth CVT on offer inspite of the rubber band effect.

Last edited by Muski : 11th February 2019 at 17:02.
Muski is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 17:16   #24
BHPian

I create a must-have feature list and buy the variant that meets those criteria. I would rather avoid gimmicky electronic features that are more likely to fail.

For my recent purchase, I was clear I needed airbags to cover rear seat occupants and needed Petrol Automatic. There were a few other features but nothing too special. Ended up buying the city and wanted to buy V CVT but had to go for ZX CVT as that was the only variant with 6 airbags. Had I purchased a Yaris (struck off because of lack of space and that 6th seat of armrest) I would have bought a lower variant for sure.

~m
Old 15th February 2019, 10:04   #25
BHPian

Well I agree with a lot of people who stated that it needs to be taken on a case to case basis; however if one aims to generalize then I will go with the top end model of a lower segment model than a lower end variant from a higher segment.
Case in point when I got the top end of our elantra in 2017 which has given me satisfaction.
I remember reading once in a related forum that always buy the top end variant of a particular model else jealousy and envy will creep in amazingly soon when you see someone else's ride with all the bells and whistles.

Last edited by navin : 15th February 2019 at 13:19. Reason: capitalise the I
Old 15th February 2019, 10:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

It is always one variant lower than top variant for me. IMHO, its always better to go for the top end of a lower model than the base of the higher model.

Last year I was in the market to replace my Santro with a new car. I shortlisted Brezza and Creta. My budget was 11 Lacs which was stretchable to 13lacs. It was possible(budget wise) for me to buy lower variant Creta(1.4). However, IMO it was a compromise. I wanted to go for Creta 1.6 CRDI. Somehow it was way out of my budget. I finalized the Brezza ZDI. I was able to afford the top variant ZDI+ but I didn't want auto-wiper, auto-headlight kind of bells and whistles in my car.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 12:25   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Couple of people asked my opinion about Automatic hatches ~ 10 L. Available options are Jazz, i20, and Baleno. I suggested them to take a look at Yaris J CVT variant. After discounts, 2018 variant comes around the same price. You get bigger engine, 7 airbags, and bigger boot. Even I was thinking of getting one!!
Wow, that is a great suggestion. I always used to think that one should only buy the highest variant as the incremental cost is very low between highest and highest but one/two model. But this thread has got me thinking - maybe lower variant of a better car is much more value.

In Dec, I was looking for an automatic car for my parents. The requirement was a easy to maintain AT (like CVT) with good safety features. I specifically wanted rear airbags as my parents hire a driver for outstation trips. It never occurred to me that Yaris could be an option. I always thought its a 15+ lakhs car.

Though in Dec, there were discounts on all cars including Jazz. With these heavy discounts, we would have seen about a lakh of difference in price of Jazz VX and Yaris J. Eventually we did not buy any car as nothing fitted the bill. Now, will re-look at it with Yaris in consideration set.

Last edited by manish84 : 15th February 2019 at 12:27.
Old 15th February 2019, 12:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

In most case I prefer mid variant but again depends on car. For example I won't buy VDi/VXi variant from maruti just because they don't come with rear wiper.
Old 15th February 2019, 14:19   #29
BHPian

Voted for the top variant.

As fellow BHPians have highlighted - it clearly depends on scenario to scenario. With competition increasing, what we are seeing is that even the segments (say a premium hatchback and a B segment regular hatchback) have started to overlap. However, that said, I think a purchase decision (and I hope I can generalize for everyone here) takes into account a lot many other factors

a. Is the car of right size for me?
b. Am i ok with the brand
c. What are the expectations with respect to service / re-sale
d. Do i really like the car (combined factor of power, FE, drive ability, etc etc)
e. budget?
f. and Similar more questions

You can have

a. A clear answer: In such a case, I will go ahead and make the purchase. See if the top end makes a hell lot of difference or not if my budget is not permitting - for example a Brezza ZDI AMT vs ZDI + AMT. The onroad for these 2 models differ drastically as the ex showroom for one is less than 10L and the other is more than 10L.
b. Not a clear answer: In such a case, its just a simple question of priorities. Beyond the above questions, I think I will see the value of features in the lower segment model vs the segment above. When I was buying the ecosport, it really boiled down to having 6 airbags, safety features and a slightly compact size then going for a mid variant Creta diesel automatic. Except the engine and the size I got the bell and whistles of a top end Creta, probably even of a compass. For someone else, a larger engine and "bigger and better" looking Creta would have suited better - its all about choices and its a good time to be living in the world of choices
kanishka88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 15:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

It is but human nature that we all want to get the best bang for our buck.

Voted for Top variant. Always.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks