Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Top Variant of a particular Segment or Entry/Mid variant of the next segment?
Top variant of particular segment 319 54.72%
Entry/Mid variant of next segment 240 41.17%
Others 24 4.12%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2019, 16:33   #31
BHPian

Re: Top variant of lower segment vs lower variant of higher segment

My vote is for the higher variant. If the entry/mid variant has all safety features but lacks a few gizmos, it is always good to go as you can always add-on them later. By Comparing a Baleno top to Ciaz mid, I would go for Ciaz as you get a good interior space, a humongous boot and safety features as well.
So it boils down to the fact, whether one really needs a bigger car or happier with a fully loaded smaller one!!
Sarath_MoJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 17:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

My general vote is for the lower/mid variant of a higher segment car compared to top spec of a lower segment.

My number one criteria in buying a car is 'depth of engineering' (chassis, engine, ride/handling etc.). Features, especially creature comforts (sunroof, touch screens, rain sensing wipers etc) are not as important. While these things make me feel good, it adds nothing to my driving pleasure.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 17:33   #33
BHPian

It's not a new dilemma one has.
For example Maruti has a Two model strategy in the same segment and they have a vehicle withing the 50k gap [benefits MSIL anyhow]

So it's upto the individual as to what they're actually seeking - if the budget can be extended - they'd settle for that however for someone on a budget this would impact the EMI directly [Approx Rs 2k for every 1L]

And of course there's no end to that greed especially when you're out buying a car or a house - you want the maximum out of what you're paying
Old 15th February 2019, 18:27   #34
BHPian

If it is me who is going to buy a car, I would list down the requirements and will keep a budget range in mind , and then will start sorting the cars to a list. And then ends up buying a car which might not even made to the list itself. Heart always win over mind. (I have read Team BHP ownership reviews in which they started with a Wagon R and ends up buying BMW).

What I have seen so far is that, most of the base segment mainly acts as a magnet or as a dragger to the next segment with a same or a slightly higher pricing, which eventually drags the buyer to upper variants. I bet these variants are well placed in a very physiological manner and this even made me think that they would have a R&D department running specially for these physiological kind of stratergies.
Old 15th February 2019, 18:43   #35
BHPian

Though it's, in general, upto the individual, my preference would be lower/mid variant of next segment. The term next segment itself means, to me, a better car in terms of engine, mechanicals, build quality, space, etc. Given that most of the top end features can be retrofitted (not all, I agree), these features are seldom used beyond their initial gleam.
Old 15th February 2019, 23:28   #36
BHPian

Considering most cars are well equipped on the safety front, I would surely go for the next segment and spend some money gradually in sprucing it up.

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 15th February 2019 at 23:29. Reason: Typo
Old 15th February 2019, 23:46   #37
Senior - BHPian

Although I voted for "Entry/Mid variant of next segment," I wouldn't strictly recommend it.

Case in point: Cars like Honda City vs Toyota Corolla. I think most buyers would be happy buying the top variant of the City instead of the Corolla. But yeah, badge value matters. I'd personally buy the City instead of a Corolla. Honestly, if a person is set on a Corolla, he will probably not even consider the City.

For most other cases, I'd recommend the cars of the next segment. Example:
-Swift vs Baleno
-XUV 500 vs Innova Crysta
-Safari vs Hexa

I just think that the latter examples will give you a much better 'feel good' factor, especially in the case of Mahindra vs Toyota. (No offence meant to XUV 500 owners- it's a very good car and terrific VFM)

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 15th February 2019 at 23:47.
Old 16th February 2019, 09:28   #38
BANNED

I preferred to opt for my 2016 Ford Figo BASE 1.5D at 6.17L(on-road) over any other top-spec car in the price range because I was focused on getting the best performance I could afford.

I could have got a full spec PETROL variant from the same segment too but passed over that to enjoy the FE as I was preparing for days where I might have to drive a lot.

I am very happy with my choice and having spent a lot in horns, four corner camera and aux lights I don't miss any feature that the better spec variants have to offer.

I haven'e even bothered to add a music system and prefer to wear isolation buds on long expressway drives because I didn't want to add electrical load on the alternator in addition to the 600 watt lighting setup.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 16th February 2019 at 09:34.
Old 16th February 2019, 11:10   #39
BHPian

This is very easy for almost everyone. For us enthusiasts it's always the character. The way it drives and handles. obviously the higher segment with a variant as many safety bells that can be affordable. Unless it is a second car/city car/wife car where performance is not useful but the creature comforts can be.
blackbeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 14:41   #40
BHPian

A good thread!! I believe with so many options available in market today many people will be in the same predicament.

I have booked the Ertiga ZXI+ which is around 11.65 OR in Mangalore . My Brother had done a test drive recently and is saying the MPV is good package but the only issue is safety aspect. Now I am rethinking on my decision & looking at the Marazzo M4 which is around 14 Lakhs On-Road.

Now for the difference of 2.5 Lakhs I am getting a safer and a more spacious car without many important features. like Music system with Apple car play, reverse parking camera ,keyless entry & many other features etc and ofcourse the Mahindra Niggles associated with it.

Looking for your advise to make up mind.
snaseer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 16:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Interesting question and like a lot of people have said the answer changes depending on the segment I guess.

In 2017, I bought the Ignis Delta variant after evaluating the top end of the Tiago as well as the Celerio. The 3 Cylinder vs 4 Cylinder made a big difference in this decision.

Also, I have never believed in buying the top end (maybe with the exception of the entry segment where you sometimes lose safety if you do not go for the top end) as I believe the value that a top variant provides over the top - 1 is usually not much in my personal opinion.

It is usually the leather seats which I do not prefer and few more "gizmos". So even if I had the money, I would usually go for the Top - 1 variant.
And this is exactly what I did in 2014 by going in for the V Variant of the Honda City...
Old 16th February 2019, 16:50   #42
BHPian

I had a dilemma which was somewhat similar about 6 years ago. Had to choose between Brio (top end) and Wagon R (top end) or probably a mid-variant of Swift because the budget was about INR 6 lakhs. But what happened next was something which I still get overwhelmed even today when I recollect. With my fondness towards Skoda build quality i just waked into their showroom to look at Fabia and the 1.2 HTP Petrol (mid-variant) fit the bill. The ride quality was not even comparable to the cars in similar price point. But to my astonishment Skoda was not even giving a radio (forget a full-fledged ICE, alloys, ABS, fog lights, MFD, airbags)with the car. But I still went ahead with the booking!

I have thoroughly enjoyed the car and done tons of additions to spruce it up. Although i really miss ABS and airbags. In my view if the safety kit is taken care of the other features really do not matter.

P.S: I ended up changing the booking to 1.2 TDI after few weeks after reading good reviews about the engine and how it excels 1.2 HTP on many counts.
Old 16th February 2019, 17:28   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaseer View Post
A good thread!! I believe with so many options available in market today many people will be in the same predicament.

I have booked the Ertiga ZXI+ which is around 11.65 OR in Mangalore . My Brother had done a test drive recently and is saying the MPV is good package but the only issue is safety aspect. Now I am rethinking on my decision & looking at the Marazzo M4 which is around 14 Lakhs On-Road.

Now for the difference of 2.5 Lakhs I am getting a safer and a more spacious car without many important features. like Music system with Apple car play, reverse parking camera ,keyless entry & many other features etc and ofcourse the Mahindra Niggles associated with it.

Looking for your advise to make up mind.
Marazzo is one size bigger , as big as old Innova and diesel therefore will be more expensive to buy and maintain. The price of consumables and other breakage items too are likely to be higher.

The advantage is an overall better vehicle, it is more comfortable even in the base trim with good captain seats etc and of course that diesel engine will be far more effortless to drive.

Niggles? Warranty should take care of it and they have a good Twitter team.
Old 16th February 2019, 17:52   #44
BHPian

I prefer top variant of the segment I'm hunting in. I don't think I worry much about "can I get the lowest variant of the next segment'. I'd rather hold off the purchase and save money for the car I want. When I was contemplating moving away from my swift, which was a Zdi variant, I had set my sights on XUV500. I held off the purchase for 3 years to save up. That gave me the new plush version of the XUV and I bought the top variant. Could I have stretched and bought a Lower variant of the higher segment, I never thought of it. What higher segment is there, I guess it would have to be the Endeavour, which I truly like. But how much of a stretch would that be? I don't think I could get the lowest variant of that in the price of the top variant of XUV. Unless you want to change the segment altogether and go for a sedan like a corolla or something, which isn't what I wanted. I wanted an SUV. So the question doesn't really make much sense to me. It purely depends upon what ones' preference is of what they want to buy. Maybe you could use that theory in overlapping segments of sedans or MPVs, where I think you could think on these lines as there are options. I don't think it holds true for a lot of other scenarios. After 4-5 years I would like to own an Endeavour. So I'll save up for that and plan accordingly, and it will be the top variant. With this theory, would I be able to get the next better SUV's lower model in the price of top variant of Endeavour. What are my choices?
Old 16th February 2019, 18:00   #45
BHPian

Though most members here are advocating for the next segment, I doubt in reality that’s how the market behaves. My experience of identifying variants being driven around tells me that most vehicles are top end or one below. I never see the bottom variant of any vehicle (unless a taxi) and very rarely the bottom plus one.

Let me explain by way of my priorities. If I am going to buy a new car I need the following, bare minimum. If the prospective vehicle is lacking even one of these I will reject it:

1.Dual airbags and ABS
2.Rear washer / wiper
3.Electrically adjustable ORVMs
4.Decent ground clearance

It’s a great thing that these days Sr No. 1 is starting to become standard. But No. 2 and 3 is something I will get only in the 3rd or 4th variant. I was looking at the i20 Active CRDI couple of years back, No. 2 was available only in the top variant!

I am sure there are many like me who have their list of priorities which makes them climb the variant ladder till they get what they want. And they may not care much about the other fancy stuff they are getting along with it.

I would also not underestimate the importance of aesthetics in the Indian market. Bottom variants of higher segment often tend to look barebones, especially on the inside. Someone who has stretched his/her budget also wants to feel surrounded by something more premium.

My experience has also shown how readily people are willing to compromise on the engine and driving dynamics. They reconcile with the fact that they will be driving mostly in city traffic with occasional highway runs and a well loaded daily workhorse is enough.
Malyaj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks