Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Top Variant of a particular Segment or Entry/Mid variant of the next segment?
Top variant of particular segment 319 54.72%
Entry/Mid variant of next segment 240 41.17%
Others 24 4.12%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2019, 20:17   #61
BHPian

Re: Top variant of lower segment vs lower variant of higher segment

Whenever a car is designed, most manufacturers design the top variants first, and then they remove the features and stuff to make the lower variants. The top variant is the complete car.

What is the point in getting a Hyundai without all the features? A Tiguan without that beautiful sunroof? Baleno and Swift without the LED headlights? A Honda City without those LED tail lamps? Hector without that touch screen?

I find no aftermarket fitting can come close to any factory finish. Hence the cars I buy will be and always be the top most variant. If I can't afford that, I am not buying any. I will wait and work hard for that extra sum of money and then buy. (I do not take loans on a depreciating asset)
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 14:16   #62
BHPian

I am currently in market looking out for new SUV to replace my problematic TUV 300 AMT, and shortlisted the below
  • Top Variant Ecosport Titanium S Diesel
  • 1 variant above base Variant Seltos HTK Diesel

I am in great dilemma here. My budget is 14 lakhs on-road. For this I have listed down the pros and cons for each vehicle. Still I am unable to make a decision. It is heart vs mind all over again.

Mind says - Ecosports
  • 6 Airbags
  • Traction Control
  • Hill Assist
  • Impact Sensing Auto Door Unlock
  • Break Assist
  • Better mileage
  • ACC
  • Cruise Control
  • 6 Speakers
  • Sync 3
  • Engine Start Stop button
  • Halogen Headlamps
  • TPMS
  • Auto Headlamps
  • Auto Wipers
  • ESC
  • Rear Camera
  • Follow me home headlamps
  • Pre-tensioners And Force Limiter Seat belts
  • Leather Seats
  • FordPass
  • Leather Steering Wheel
  • Eco Mode
  • Rear Seat Center Arm Rest
  • Power Adjustable Exterior Rear View Mirror
  • Electric Folding Rear View Mirror
  • Rear Window Wiper
  • Rear Window Washer
  • Rear Window Defogger
  • Automatic IRVM
  • Alloy Wheels
  • Sun Roof
  • DRL's
  • Tilt & Telescopic Steering

Heart says - Seltos
  • 4 Disc breaks
  • 15 bhp more power
  • 35Nm more torque
  • Rear AC Vents
  • Seat Lumbar Support
  • Tailgate Ajar
  • Bigger car with good road presence
  • Bigger boot

After writing this post, I am tilted more towards Ecosport, but the design has shown its age and does not stand out like Seltos. Someone please help. My main requirements are safety and mileage.

Last edited by ramnaresh_2000 : 5th August 2020 at 14:18.
Old 5th August 2020, 14:25   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
My main requirements are safety and mileage.
I would vote for the EcoSport.

You have already mentioned the reasons
Quote:
  • 6 Airbags
  • Traction Control
  • Hill Assist
  • Brake Assist
The design maybe old but it isn't drab in any way, still looks good in a sea of CSUVs.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 14:27   #64
BANNED

Quote:
I am currently in the market looking out for new SUV to replace my problematic TUV 300 AMT and shortlisted the below

After writing this post, I am tilted more towards Ecosport, but the design has shown its age and does not stand out like Seltos. Someone, please help. My main requirements are safety and mileage.
Ford EcoSport gets my vote as that's the top-end variant with all features one shall require and wouldn't need any more tinkering. Kia Seltos being the new one in the automotive scenario will stand out of the crowd and will help draw some attention. If you want to look at the Seltos then jump a variant above - HTK+ as that's the most VFM variant AFAIK.

Both the cars are well-built and safe to be but Ford much more solid and robust to take the abuse for long before rattles/squeaks start to pour in.

If the budget can't be extended to HTK+ variant of the Seltos, go ahead with the Ford then. Either of the cars won't let you down.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 14:41   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A friend owns an Ecosport S and I have driven it extensively. Coming from a TUV, if you are okay with the cabin and boot space in the Ecosport, please go ahead with your purchase. You can also look at the lower variants starting from Trend+ which are well-loaded and you will end up saving quite a sum.

PS: I found the braking on the Ecosport to be inadequate compared to the Seltos.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 14:55   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000;4858075.

Mind says - Ecosports
[LIST
[*]6 Airbags[*]Traction Control[*]Hill Assist[*]Impact Sensing Auto Door Unlock[*]Break Assist[*]Better mileage[*]ACC[*]Cruise Control[*]6 Speakers[*]Sync 3[*]Halogen Headlamps[*]TPMS[*]ESC[*]Rear Camera[*]Pre-tensioners And Force Limiter Seat belts[*]Leather Seats[*]Leather Steering Wheel[*]Eco Mode[*]Rear Seat Center Arm Rest [*]Power Adjustable Exterior Rear View Mirror[*]Electric Folding Rear View Mirror[*]Rear Window Wiper[*]Rear Window Washer [*]Rear Window Defogger [*]Automatic IRVM[*]Alloy Wheels [*]Tilt & Telescopic Steering[/list]
Someone please help. My main requirements are safety and mileage.
Any safety concious person will definately give due weightage to above mentioned ecosport features. Some will make your life more convenient in day to day life, others are either preventive or minimise the effect of road traffic mishappenings.
So if 80% of time, the number of passengers travelling in your car are not more than 4 and as your preference is mileage and not extra power, ecosport is the obvious choice
Dr.Abhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 17:32   #67
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am currently in market looking out for new SUV to replace my problematic TUV 300 AMT, and shortlisted the below

After writing this post, I am tilted more towards Ecosport, but the design has shown its age and does not stand out like Seltos. Someone please help. My main requirements are safety and mileage.
The difference in feature list is quite extensive and the Ecosport has a clear edge. Also, IMO, the Seltos in the HTK trim looks quite average and the average look of the Seltos HTK will more or less cancel out its bigger road presence. The Ecosport while smaller, with those gorgeous alloys and HID headlamps will stand out. Get a bright red or the blue shade and it will stand out even more.

If the budget can't be stretched to the HTK+, I would suggest the Ecosport as it is only from the HTK+ variant that the Seltos really starts appearing(both inside-out) as a car from a segment above when compared to the Ecosport.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 18:07   #68
BHPian

Quote:

I am in great dilemma here. My budget is 14 lakhs on-road. For this I have listed down the pros and cons for each vehicle. Still I am unable to make a decision. It is heart vs mind all over again.

Mind says - Ecosports
  • 6 Airbags
  • Traction Control
  • Hill Assist
  • Break Assist
  • Better mileage
  • Cruise Control

Heart says - Seltos
  • 4 Disc breaks
  • Bigger car with good road presence
  • Bigger boot

If I were in your shoes then surely ecosport as safety is your key requirment. But wait, Seltos is a segment above and fits in your budget of 14 lakhs. Means, having chosen mid variant of next segment, I would suggest you to check and test drive the kicks 1.3 turbo , Creta or XUV 300 before you can make the final decision. These options gives more space (especially extra boot and rear space except xuv300 ) and added safety within your budget.
jeganatu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 18:08   #69
BHPian

Honestly the CSUV segment is the most funny segment.
Generally a higher segment car is better built and better engineered. And thats why many on this forum prefer mid variant of the higher segment than the top variant of the lower segment.

It's this CSUV space which turns the logic.
1.Ecosport, Nexon and XUV300 are built solid with good safety rating (ecosport not tested but feels solid).
2. None of them offer AWD but neither does the segment above (baring Duster)
3. We get 6 airbags and decent space in CSUV. The Creta and Seltos does not seem to have much advantage here
4. All CSUV and Creta/Seltos range offer only torsion beam suspension.
5. Engines choices are pretty much same in diesel and petrol is a good even in the CSUV space.
6. Ride quality and handling is even across both segments.

Apart from looking a bit bigger on road there is no real engineering or build advantage that Creta/Seltos offer over CSUV space.

Unless you are very tall or carry loads of luggage, CSUV should be fine. Do check out the Nexon as well its a better all rounder than Ecosport though Ecopsport is better in few parameters than the Nexon
aniyo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 18:16   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
I would suggest you to check and test drive the kicks 1.3 turbo , Creta or XUV 300 before you can make the final decision.
I love 1.3 kicks, but mileage is a big let down. 16 kmpl by ARAI and I need to drive 60 kms per day post lockdown, I would hardly get 12 kmpl in city. I am looking for Diesel variant only.

My father has a 2019 Creta SX(O), so eliminated automatically.

I am running as far as possible from Mahindra due to my recent AMT issues. I don't want to give my money to Mahindra anymore.

I took quotation for W6 variant just for bargaining chip, they quoted 79k for insurance, 9.2k handling fees and 10k for useless accessories. I am repeat customer, even then they are milking me? Ford quoted 0.75% for TCS on all variants, M&M quoted 1%, all this made me even more angrier. Not even a single follow up call after I took quotation. I can talk all day about M&M but a big not Mahindra.
Old 5th August 2020, 18:48   #71
BHPian

I voted for the top spec of the lower segment simply because with most cars in India, only the top spec variant gets the full blown list of safety features.
Obviously the first criteria would be mechanicals and once that ticks all the boxes I would bring a car into consideration. Then comes the choice between the top spec and going up a segment.
In generally all cars priced south of 2 million rupees would be missing out on some or the other safety feature when you move up a segment.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 18:58   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

I have voted for the top variant of the lower segment. Am not a snob and don't worry about different segments. I'd pick up a car which has more features including safety. Even if both the products have comparable safety features, I'd bend towards the lower segment unless the bigger segment vehicle has mouth watering engine specs / driving pleasure.

I have become more of a 'pre-owned' guy, even then I keep looking for the top variant of whatever cars I search for. The base variant just doesnt cut it.
Old 6th August 2020, 00:02   #73
BHPian

Almost all top variants are overpriced. They are in most cases 70-80% higher priced than the lowest variant. I don't think there offer anything close to that value compared to the base models. So, I would always choose the base model of the higher class.
codwapeace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 05:06   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codwapeace View Post
Almost all top variants are overpriced. They are in most cases 70-80% higher priced than the lowest variant. I don't think there offer anything close to that value compared to the base models. So, I would always choose the base model of the higher class.
I disagree on this one. This has been a topic of debate with my friends as well. India dosen't have stringent vehicle safety norms and that's a reason why manufacturers sell unlock door on impact as a feature. The way cars are priced in India is very unique as per my observations

1. Launch at an attractive price so that it makes a PR headline, it might be the one which will be the least contributing in terms of sales, but it should make a headline.

2. The base model will cater to those who are far stretched from their budget from the segment below.

3. Top up the base variant with climate control, music system, steering mounted audio and call control -- ready to cater for another segment

4. Add alloy wheels, add a touch screen and some features here and there. The car is ready to be sold for another segment of buyer.

And

Finally comes the top model with all the bells and whistles.

Buyers who fall in above segment will either be aware of all the things in some cases and not in most cases. Indian car buyers don't think and look for safety features as a priority. It might be a reason why youtube is flooded with videos how I turned xxx base model to almost top model.
The person putting the videos and people watching them build a notion, why spend a premium on the top model, when I can buy a base model and modify it after market to make it look like a top model.Recent one was adding cruise control in after market upgrade. God help the driver if it stops after engaging the system. They however don't understand one thing.

Safety features like 6 airbags, TCS, ESP, VCS/VSM, BA, HAC cannot be added as an after market accessory. The top variants are not actually overpriced. It might look over priced but its not, check out the car prices in Nepal you will understand. The manufacturers are dividing the features based on data they have or they gathered about consumer behaviour, hence maintaining a list of variants for all the segment of buyers.

Imagine a company Y decides to sell a car in India with top notch features and safety. How many will be able to afford the same, probably a few, which is what BMW, Merc, Audi are about.
Mainali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 21:47   #75
Senior - BHPian

I would go for lower variant of higher segment ! If you plan to keep the car for a while that is the better option I think. You get a better car in the longer run!

I went with the base variant (V variant) of the 5th Gen Honda city recently. Guess what ? It offers pretty much everything . But yeah that doesn't work out for every car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks