Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2019, 00:03   #1
BHPian

2019 Tata Tiago facelift in the works

The 2019 Tata Tiago has been caught testing and may arrive in showrooms in the next few months.

Source: https://gaadiwaadi.com/exclusive-201...hing-soon/amp/
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago & Tigor facelift launched at Rs 4.6 lakh & 5.75 lakh-2019tatatiagospied1068x656.jpg  

Tata Tiago & Tigor facelift launched at Rs 4.6 lakh & 5.75 lakh-2019tatatiagospied11068x991.jpg  

uday.ere is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 07:39   #2
BHPian

Re: 2019 Tata Tiago facelift in the works

More than anything, Tiago and Tigor need better engines. Hope Tata delivers.
octane_100 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 09:31   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Agreed on the engines. That's the weakest link of the Tiago & especially important for someone like me who picks cars based on their motors. Especially surprising because the other Tata cars - including the Nexon - have very good engines. With better engines, the Tiago can be one heck of a hatchback (just look at the JTP, although we're talking about the mass market variants here where the competition is superior).

I also hope that with the facelift, they get an "attitude" lift and stop silently deleting kit & features from their cars.

Last edited by GTO : 13th February 2019 at 09:33.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 17:16   #4
BHPian

Much needed upgrade if it touches the engines.

I have seen Tiago owners very happy about the car except for the challenges they face with engine and the AMT. But I am very confident that this is not merely a cosmetic change and the effort would be to address performance and transmission.
peterjim13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 17:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed on the engines. That's the weakest link of the Tiago & especially important for someone like me who picks cars based on their motors.
Is it the engine power/peppiness that's the issue, or reliability/efficiency, especially the Petrol engines?

Asking this because I am considering a Petrol for long term usage.
Old 14th February 2019, 09:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

In Manual, although its a 3 cylinder, power-wise I didn't see too many owners complaining other than here on the forum. Rather what I hear is its the vibrations which bother them a bit and comparitively the Tigor seems to be quieter because of the 'balancer-shaft' being used. If nothing else, hope that makes way into the TIAGO , making it smoother.

Hope the AMT is tuned better, now that the Santro is a benchmark in that segment. Is NRG getting a facelift too?
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 10:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Tata presently does not have a competent 4-cylinder petrol that can be functional and still be cost efficient. The engines on the erstwhile Zest and Bolt are turbocharged variants of an archaic engine, and that wont be cost viable to plonk that in the Tiago. The normally aspirated version of that engine, though more refined than the 3-pot motor in the Tiago, is still a dud when it comes to performance and drivability.

So, I would place my bet on this being a cosmetic facelift and not a deep update that touches the engines.
Old 14th February 2019, 11:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashukla View Post
Is it the engine power/peppiness that's the issue, or reliability/efficiency, especially the Petrol engines?

Asking this because I am considering a Petrol for long term usage.
Being an owner of Tigor AMT, i didnt face any issue with engine peppiness. Sure the AMT is a bit lethargic in City mode, but in Sport mode, the engine feels quite peppy and is able to reach good speeds in no time. I owned and Xcent VTVT petrol before Tigor and i can safely say that Tigor AMT in Sport mode feels much peppier than Xcent VTVT engine.

Where its not good is the engine refinement. The engine has a throaty note to it and the refinement levels are no match for Hyundai's VTVT or Maruti's K12M motors. Ofcourse, having a balancer shafts irons out some vibrations of the 3 cylinder motor, but there are some vibrations felt in lower speeds specially in 2nd gear.
DCEite is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 12:02   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
In Manual, although its a 3 cylinder, power-wise I didn't see too many owners complaining other than here on the forum. Rather what I hear is its the vibrations which bother them a bit and comparitively the Tigor seems to be quieter because of the 'balancer-shaft' being used. If nothing else, hope that makes way into the TIAGO , making it smoother.

Hope the AMT is tuned better, now that the Santro is a benchmark in that segment. Is NRG getting a facelift too?
Post June 2017 Tiagos have very minimum vibrations. How TATA has achieved it is not clear. Maybe they have silently added the balancer shaft to the Tiago petrol as well. I have sat is 2018 July batch Tiago and Tigor and i could not make out any 'perceivable' improvement in refinement of the Tigor cabin. Hence my assumption.
sagarpadaki is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 22:41   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
The 2019 Tata Tiago has been caught testing and may arrive in showrooms in the next few months.
First spotted by our friendly neighbourhood Autospy back on 18th January. Posted by me in the Tata Tiago Official Review thread.

Latest spyshot, caught yesterday morning by AutoSpy again:

Tata Tiago & Tigor facelift launched at Rs 4.6 lakh & 5.75 lakh-img20190221wa0042.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 12:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
First spotted by our friendly neighbourhood Autospy back on 18th January. Posted by me in the Tata Tiago Official Review thread.

Latest spyshot, caught yesterday morning by AutoSpy again:

There clearly is a new grill design. After owning a Tiago since June 2016 the upgrades I would like to see are primarily "the balancer shaft" from the Tigor reduce the vibrations and a better headlight design cause the current one is just bad as the output is very low and useless on big highways without street lamps, it provides candle light brightness in such situations.
Sam_GTR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 19:43   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Tiago face-lift version Spied on test,

Quote:
A few significant design changes can still be spotted despite the complete camouflage cover. The first and perhaps the only thing which catches immediate attention is the face of the car, which features sleeker headlamps, much like those on the recently-unveiled Tata Altroz. Further, the front bumper seems to have undergone a sporty treatment, with more elaborate creases and contours, which could hint at a new foglamp housing

Tata Tiago & Tigor facelift launched at Rs 4.6 lakh & 5.75 lakh-00.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 19:57   #13
BHPian

The Tiago from Tata is one of their best selling products. The only downside is that puny and boring 3-cylinder engine. That, along with the issues with the AMT transmission are the only two drawbacks of the Tiago, which is otherwise a fantastic product.

I wish they would improve the AMT transmission. There have been many complaints about the transmission in the Tiago AMT thread and I hope Tata is keeping its ears open. A person looking for an automatic in this segment is bound to lean towards the recently launched Hyundai Santro AMT, which has received a lot of positive feedback.

Will be interesting to see the changes in the face-lift, and I'm praying that it doesn't come with cosmetic changes only.

Regards,
Karthi.stark
Old 21st March 2019, 16:30   #14
BHPian

This is quite a move from Tata - if the reports about an entry level sedan alongside Redi-Go is true - Tiago can find a place (and this time quiet a solid space) alongside Grandi10, Santro, Brio, Ignis, Swift etc. The features inherited from Altroz would be the source - and of course with a much bolder stance.

- My thoughts
Old 21st March 2019, 17:38   #15
BHPian

Going by the numbers Tiago is selling in, I think most people do not care about the number of cylinders and even NVH levels to an extent. Even this is a segment that gives the most importance to mileage, features, price, and looks than refinement. Tata has improved its engine after they released Tigor and it's doing wonders for Tiago's sales.

Last edited by motobliss : 21st March 2019 at 17:39. Reason: added price

Most Viewed