Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2019, 14:43   #1
BHPian

Should car selection be only based on specifications?

Well it all begins with simple observation on mobile phones where a lot of has been spoken about Apple (Hardware + Software) vs Non Apple phones. On paper, specifications for Apple phones are usually on the lower side w.r.t. RAM, Core Processors and other hardware configs compared to Android run devices like Xiaomi, Huawei and many more, but when it comes to performance, over all experience and longevity generally Apple users are never disappointed. E.g. My 4 year old iPhone 6 still runs as a new phone, without any glitches.

This thought kicks in similar specifications for Automobiles, esp. Cars. Please pardon my hardware related knowledge with Cars, but a question which has been there in my mind since long is - Does same specifications of engine capacity, power, torque and other attributes of engine differ drastically in terms of output on overall drivability, performance, longevity of Car from manufacturer to manufacturer ?
I have heard many times people saying it looks like xBHP on paper but in reality it doesn’t translate as per quoted number. E.g. Is there any difference between power 100BHP generated by Maruti vs 100BHP by Toyota @same torque ?

While in case of mobile, I understand applications plays a major role which links the hardware and software. Similarly in Cars there are different parts which are functioned to deliver a certain set of outcomes. Tuning of engines, suspension, interiors may add different feel and appeal. While softwares are now becoming integral part of automobiles, and in future its going to dominate driving experience, would love to understand and hear other forum member views on this topic
peus017 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 18:56   #2
mxx
BHPian

re: Should car selection be only based on specifications?

Test drive, in my opinion, should be the main factor in deciding the car. I dont know of any other way, you can really tell how the car will perform in real world and if it will be up to your expectation.
mxx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 19:30   #3
BHPian

Agreed.. Also if you have access to Self drive car platforms like Zoom Car or Myles and if the vehicle is available there, it also provides better understanding of the car its drive quality and how it behaves after abuse.
Old 15th February 2019, 19:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Specifications are just indicators; objective, comparable indicators. Specs can play a key role when you are comparing certain parameters like say wheelbase, GC, Boot space, Rear Leg room etc.. However many other parameters like Fuel Efficiency, Power, Suspension setup etc..are best judged by multiple / extended test drives.

Lot of people get misled when a review or a brand brags about XX BHP or YY Torque. Not many pay attention to in which area of the rev band, how does the torque build up look like ? or how practical it is to use the engine in city vs highway etc..

Moreover, certain cars suit certain type of body builds very well - the ergonomics if we can call it. I always used to find pain just below my rib cage when i used to drive the old 1.3 Swift (Petrol) during 200+ kms. Never had this issue with any of my other cars. Similarly, always found my knee would hit against part of the center console in Rapid so much that the knee used to have red spots if i drive longer than 250 kms. Now these issues are very specific to me and the associated cars. Have owned and extensively driven Hyundais', Marutis' Fords', Renaults', Skodas' and i did not have such issues with other cars.
Mi10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 20:37   #5
BHPian

The numbers can be quite misleading. Power figures mentioned in ads and brochures can seldom (rather never) be achieved in real-world scenarios. What matters is how the power is delivered and the way the torque surge is. Moreover, steering feedback and ergonomics can't be quantified. One of the first cars I drove was a Cielo and it had very underwhelming power figures but it's one of the most exciting cars I have driven.

For me, a car is more about emotions than the numbers. I don't know how long it will remain like that as most cars seem to be heading towards, um, a very bleak future. One, where cars will become appliances, perhaps iPads on wheels. Until then one should go out and buy a car that connects with the driver (Fiat thing), not wifi.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 12:04   #6
BHPian

As lot of BHPians rightly mentioned here, what in papers may not turn into real numbers in reality. Reliability is another factor which cannot be derived from specifications.

We have seen Mahindra releasing cars with 5-7 Airbags, but are we sure that all of them will deploy at the right time - well I am not positive about that.

So I would say user views, past performance are the best indicators to judge a car rather than specification.
Old 16th February 2019, 13:59   #7
BHPian

While it is true that same specs could translate into starkly different real life experiences, let me extend your analogy with mobiles to make another point: what you will eventually be able to extract out of both would most of the times be a fraction of their true capabilities.

Have seen Hondas for which the vtech never kicked in during their entire life cycle! Similarly, people like me buy high end phones to simply browse and make calls, rendering all that muscle useless. Thus trusting specs for most purchases is moot (albeit a good way of consoling ourselves that we have done adequate 'research').

Like others have mentioned, it's still the good old test drive (renting for a few days is a brilliant suggestion) which should be trusted for any decision making. Only exception would be to trust the judgement of people like on this forum, which can help narrow the shortlist to begin with.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 14:40   #8
Team-BHP Support

A vehicle purchase is such a personal decision that one should not rely on specs or other people's perspectives. The best option is to look at long term reports and take extensive test drives under different conditions. Unbiased review reports like those on team bhp can help in finalising the decision, but that alone should not be the deciding factor. For new car launches one can't help but to rely on the track record of the manufacturer to take a decision. In that sense I would book a car recently launched if it were from Toyota, though there were quite a few issues reported for Crysta. For other companies I would like to wait and watch unless it is a global model like the Endeavour/Everest or XUV300/Tivoli

Last edited by BlackPearl : 16th February 2019 at 14:41.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 15:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Of course, Specifications and their comparison with the same segment cars is an important factor but it's not the "only" factor. When we are in the market to buy a new car, we consider a lot of things. However, for me, test drives and its user reviews are the most important factors. As BlackPearl rightly mentioned, we have to rely on the track record of the manufacturer in case of a new launch. I"ll wait and watch for at least one year in case I am considering a newly launched car.

I bought MS Brezza Last year on the base of my specific requirements. Below were my requirements.

· A good looking tall vehicle (lambi is new unchi), with a good driving position, where I can have a glimpse of the bonnet.
· A diesel motor with good FE, we do travel a lot.
· Spacious Cabin to accommodate my Family (ME, wife, 2.7 years kid and Parents).
· Easy ingress and egress for aged parents in the back seat.
· Flexible seat arrangement to increase boot space for those Pick and drop service to Airport.
· Low Service cost & good after-sales support, a proven service delivery of proved brand.
· Some style, Eye-catching looks with lots of features (I spent my 12 years without even power windows, so needed all).
· Security features like ABS-EBD & at least two Airbags.
· Wife & Parent’s approval (isn’t we all need this?)
· And all of this in my limited budget of 1 million bucks

I decided a specific segment on the base of these requirements. I shortlisted S cross, TUV300, WRV, Ecosports, Creta, I20, M Balero & MS Brezza. This was the Segment I started doing the Test drives. And after TDing all of these vehicles specifications came into the equation.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed