Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2019, 12:25   #46
BHPian

Re: Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?

I would call out my Tata Nexon.. I was not a huge fan of the front grill + Humanity line.. But after owning the whole package for about 6 months now, It has definitely grown on me. so much that I do look back at it when I park
Attached Thumbnails
Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-img_20180624_171105.jpg  

charanreddy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 12:26   #47
BHPian

Strange as it may appear, I had not initially liked VW Polo when it was first launched in India in 2009 due to it's too simple design. The front end was still fine but I had disliked the rear profile. In due course of time, it's not that I got used to seeing Polo or so, it was the overall transformation in my life when I began admiring simplicity, or simple and elegant things in practically every aspect of my life, not just cars. I slowly started noticing the rightly proportioned design of Polo and how timeless and elegant it looked. The rear profile due to its soberness all the more appealed me. And now we have our humble VW Polo at home in silver shade and we totally love her looks from all the angles. Looking back, I think I really had a bad taste in my life earlier
Attached Thumbnails
Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-img_20190123_192722__01.jpg  

Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-img_20190201_164206__01.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 13:01   #48
BHPian

The Kizashi!

Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-1image.jpeg

Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-546f5906072ae__2011suzukikizashisportgts002lg.jpg

At first I felt it was too similar to the SX4, but everytime I see one on the road now, I feel like going over to the owner just to check if they might be interested in selling it!
nishsingh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 13:04   #49
Senior - BHPian

Somehow, I didn't like one of the most successful car from Maruti, back when it was launched : The swift! We did end up getting one, but even then I couldn't like the car's tail light, somehow it looked even 15 years back, that too when compared to the rest of the car's fresh design.

Only after they switched to clear lens tail light, I found it good looking, 2012 was even better in my eyes.

giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 13:28   #50
BHPian

For me it's the Swift! I guess it was one of the most unconventional design at that time. I didn't like it's front, side or rear profile. I was making fun of the others who drove it commenting on how ridiculous their choices were. Then destiny had it for me that I ended up owning one for the past 11 years! The design grew on me even before I purchased it and I was suggesting my friends to buy it though I hadn't even driven it once Such was the craze I had for it. The design has only been bettered in all the iterations the car has gone through and the current one is one of best designs the car has ever had.
Attached Thumbnails
Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-swift3..jpg  

emkay.india is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 13:41   #51
BHPian

It might be an unpopular opinion but I wasn't a fan of the second generation Ford Figo. It initially just looked bloated and just a little weird. Although the similar design on the Ford Freestyle kinda looks smart the Figo still isn't as hot to look at as it is to drive. I do admit that I have warmed up to the design but I still believe to make it look desireable u need a decent pair of aftermarket rims and maybe some tinkering here and there and then it might just blow u away

Case in point: One of my closest friend's Ruby Red Figo Before and After With the Aftermarket Alloy wheels and a Type S Grille.
Bonus Fact: He used to own a First Gen Facelifted Black Figo that was Pete's Tuned and had Bilstein Dampers which he sold to buy another Second Gen Silver Ford Figo S.
Attached Thumbnails
Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-screenshot_20190219133813__01.jpg  

Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-screenshot_20190219133904__01.jpg  

Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-screenshot_20190219133909__01__01.jpg  

Last edited by Mr.501 : 19th February 2019 at 13:53. Reason: Typing Error
Mr.501 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 13:43   #52
BHPian

Here's my list-
  • Tata Harrier- When the official pics were shown around October-November, I instantly hated those looks. Especially that orange colour which looked lame and cheap. But when I saw the car in flesh, I changed my opinion. I am still not a fan of the headlights-in-bumper design but it does look kinda nice now that I have got used to it
Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-harrier.jpg
  • First gen Figo- When it was launched, it became a huge huge hit but contrary to most people, I thought it looked too small for the price and competed with the M800 in size!. But now that we have cars like the KUV1OO, I would say the Figo has aged rather well.
Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-figo.jpg
  • 2018 Mercedes G Wagon- I was really disappointed when the 2018 G was revealed. It had lost all the 'Gangsta' character but now with time, I have warmed up to it and actually find it attractive although still not as much as the older one.
Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-g63.jpg

Cheers!
Old 19th February 2019, 13:46   #53
BHPian

I was never a fan of the old Skoda Rapid's front view. Somehow I feel the curves in the front does not match with crystalline design at the rear. But, I was so impressed with the facelift that I went ahead and bought one.

Image Source: indianautosblog
Attached Thumbnails
Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-2017skodarapidvs2012skodarapidfrontthreequarter.jpg  

vijayshouree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 13:56   #54
BHPian

When the Beat was launched in 2009 I didn't like the looks at all. The small boot and dingy rear seating turned me off so much that I stopped my dad from getting one as a city car.

Cut to Sept 2011 and I was myself in the market for a city hatchback. Between i10, Ritz and Beat i found myself looking at Beat over and over again. The HPS and bike inspired speedometer grew on me (and the team-BHP review helped). There were too many i10s in the friend circle so Beat stood out for many reasons. And Nov 2011 'The Megavolt' came home :P
Old 19th February 2019, 14:12   #55
BANNED

In cars, it's the practicality that pulls me before anything else. I can't even recall which car design I hated at first and loved later.

So, I'll go with bikes.

Impulse

The first time I saw it, I thought of it as nothing more than a tall CBZ Xtreme. But, about 8 years later, I started loving its looks and the practicality it offers to go with the Indian roads.

Navi

At first, I thought the Navi was weird and didn't like it one bit. But then I rode it and I realized how much fun it was. Gradually, I started to see how practical it was and the design grew on me in no time.
MaheshY1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 14:14   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Just an observation, no matter how bad a car looks, once you start spotting them more and more on the road, you develop some sort of affinity towards it. A bad looking flop car in market will continue to look bad whereas bad looking hit car will look atleast acceptable with time.
Not really, the previous gen Dzire was a big seller, but always remained as an eyesore for me. Same goes for Qualis, the 2nd gen Honda City etc.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 14:18   #57
BHPian

To me, it has to be the Nissan Sunny.

https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/nis...n-sunny-02.jpg

The bulbous profile and the confused front design made me turn away from considering it. With passage of time, I started appreciating its other useful elements such as generous leg space, rear AC blower, keyless entry and start etc., which were segment firsts at the time it was launched.

In fact, the Caaaar has forced other established players like Honda, Maruti etc to re-engineer their products and bring-in similar attributes/ functions into their bread winning models.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 19th February 2019 at 14:28.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 14:30   #58
BANNED

When MS launched the face lifted S-Cross, I was utterly disappointed. How can MS destroy the only good looking car from their production?
Then, last year while shopping for my new car, I almost bought the S-Cross.
Most of the cases, the more we see a car on road, the sooner it grows on us.

On a side note, the only car that could never grew on me was the erstwhile Ritz.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 14:53   #59

[1] Swift - I used to make fun of the rear. Now I don't mind owning one.

[2] Skoda Yeti - The design seemed boxy compared to the Safari which I used to own. Once I had an opportunity to step inside a Yeti. From that day onwards, it changed my outlook.
Old 19th February 2019, 15:14   #60
BHPian

Since a lot has been covered, I'll just put 1 which does something to my heart now. Earlier I abhorred it!

BMW 5 Series - E60

It looked very weird to me at its launch.

However, as time flew by it became rarer, and the downward trajectory BMW went on to in terms of it's design. Just 1 glance of this vehicle reminds of the entire story.
It looks raw, has such a great appeal, and is a showstopper at night, with those pretty LED Lines all around.

Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-162066.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 19th February 2019 at 18:19. Reason: Uploading image as attachment
sharktale is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks