Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2019, 16:33   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?

Are there any cars that you didn't like the looks of first, but then did a turnaround on? I'm not talking about simply "getting used to" a style - I still hate the oddball E60 BMW, Xylo & oddly proportioned Safari, no matter how much time it's been.

But any that you eventually warmed up to? Which car's looks did you hate first & now like? To me, it's:

Hated the Octavia facelift for the initial couple of months. Now however, I quite like it. In fact, I'll even say that the facelift makes the Octavia look more premium than the earlier version:

When the Santro was launched, most of us hated it! Over the years, Hyundai made continuous tweaks to the car. IMHO, the Santro Xing has aged rather well & looks smart:

Last edited by GTO : 18th February 2019 at 16:36.
GTO is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 16:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?

The Octavia facelift has had the same effect on me too!

From the top of my head I can think of the original Skoda Yeti. Very oddball looks, but still manages to look attractive from most angles!

Santoshbhat is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 16:54   #3
AYP
Senior - BHPian

My list-

1. The New Scorpio which was launched in 2014.

While people (including me) made fun of the toothy grill and the bar handle design elements at the rear, I gradually warmed up to it and I'd say it is the best designed Scorpio till date.

Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-mahindrascorpionewphoto.jpg

2. The Baleno

Initially, the weird looking grille which tapered towards the headlight appeared very odd to me. But with time, especially in the top-end and especially in the red shade, I started to like the design as a whole.

Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-2018marutibalenophoto.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 19th February 2019 at 18:17. Reason: Typo corrected
AYP is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 16:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

My thoughts are echoed in GTO's post on Santro. In 1998, when it was launched, we had got used to Maruti 800, 118 NE and Fiats of the world. When I first saw Santro(Gold Colored Car), I started imagining it as Cow with Bulged Stomach.

But, when I was in Market for my second car for city commute in 2008 (After 10 years of its launch), the most liked car for me was Santro Xing ! !

What a beautiful looking and comfort car for city rides ! ! Even today, when I compare new Santro Car with old Santro Xing, I still feel, the old car is much better in looks. It is definitely not because of I am getting used to its looks. But, it really flared well over 10 years of continuous improvement by Hyundai

Last edited by gkveda : 18th February 2019 at 16:56.
gkveda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 17:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

The facelift S Cross. I disliked the grill and headlamps for initial few weeks, but the design slowly grew on me and I started liking it.

Agree with AYP on the Baleno. I did not like it's grill and still do not like it it. But as a package it grew on me to acceptable status. The facelift grill is better though

Last edited by AkMar : 18th February 2019 at 17:03.
AkMar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 17:04   #6
BHPian

Swift when it was first launched in 2005, I just hated the design, especially the rear. But after seeing so many of them on the roads, I started liking it and after each generation, it is becoming sportier and hotter.

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2019 at 10:29. Reason: typo
deep4u is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 17:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

The new Honda Amaze, just hated the front but the overall stance of the car (along with the occupants inside it) when viewed from the sides grew upon me and now I'm liking the design much.
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 17:25   #8
BHPian

For me, it has to be the first version of the Maruti Zen. Especially how the rear looked. Whatever I did, I just couldn’t come in terms with the design during the early days. But over the time, I started loving the curves (it was quite a change from the sharp lines we were familiar from M800 design).

Last edited by R-Six : 18th February 2019 at 17:25. Reason: Removing the picture.
R-Six is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 17:25   #9
BHPian

Elite i20 Facelift

Rear looks of the facelifted Elite i20 was a complete goof up for me in the beginning as compared to the previous one. The Black part on the bumper as well as the Tail Light design was a letdown. But with time, the design grew upon me.

Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-dvaah3dxcaexuly.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2019 at 10:30. Reason: Uploading as attachment
Bhatia.D17 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 17:29   #10
BHPian

Remember Hyundai Getz, anybody?

Did not like it at all when launched. Did not like it until it was discontinued. Started liking it once it was discontinued! Crazy me?

Name:  Hyundai Getz.PNG
Views: 20496
Size:  609.5 KB

Picture from here (Hyundai Getz GLS 4 Year Report).
OrangeCar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 17:30   #11
BHPian

S-Cross Facelift

Has to be the S-Cross Face lift for me. When I saw the images initially, I totally hated it and ended up thinking what were the designers smoking while designing it, especially the front grill. The old one looked much more majestic back then. Now that I have seen it on the road, I found it to be good looking, if not the best, and the old one looks too plain in front of it.

Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-marutiscrossoldvsnew.jpg

Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-marutiscrossoldvsnewfront1280x720.jpg

Image source

Last edited by centaur : 18th February 2019 at 17:38.
centaur is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 17:36   #12
BHPian

Honda City

This generation of Honda City was exact opposite of the car that it replaced.
Never liked the way it looked but I started liking it by the time City ZX was launched.

These were selling like hot cakes back then
Attached Thumbnails
Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-hondacityfrontleftrim.jpg  

daf23 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 17:39   #13
BHPian

I am restricting myself to looks only as there could be many cars which look ordinary but are great to drive and you eventually fall in love with them.

The original S-Cross. Did not like the drooping lips like grill at all. Over time I felt it wasn't that bad and the overall package was quite nice. Almost even bought one. On the other hand I found the face-lift to be quite attractive on launch but find it hideous now.

Another one is the Nissan Micra. When I first saw it, I wondered who will buy it. Over time I have come to appreciate its quirkiness and non-copycat looks.

Finally, I hated our Premier Padmini back when I was a teenager and envied all my friends whose parents drove Marutis and Santros. 20+ years later and wiser, with the usual love for retro kicking in at this age, I regret being so spiteful about the humble Padmini. Happened to ride in one immaculately maintained Cool Cab version of it in Mumbai few years ago and absolutely loved it. There was not a clatter, doors shut snug, AC was chilling, exteriors and interiors looked almost factory new and had super comfy captain seats in the front instead of the usual bench.
Malyaj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 17:39   #14
BHPian

For me, it's Swift first gen. Didn't like the design initially, but got used it eventually and it even made it to my shortlist when I was looking for my first car few years later.
nfsfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 17:48   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Off the top of my head, has to be Ritz. I hated the rear of that thing initially. Ignis is a close second, but I am yet to warm up to it.

Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-quarter-view-rear.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2019 at 10:31. Reason: Uploading as attachment
Dry Ice is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed